PDA

View Full Version : Frostwrought Mage PrC

Zarthrax
2013-10-07, 04:14 AM
ErrantX did a PrC for his Ebon Initiate called Frostwrought Scion. This is a version I hammered out for a game I'm applying to that doesn't utilize that, and instead focuses on cold and spellcasting.

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any non-good.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feats: Snowcasting, Frozen Magic, Piercing Cold
Spells: Must be capable of casting first level spells
Invocations: Must be capable of performing least invocations.
Special: Eldritch Blast +2d6, May not know or learn any fire essence invocations.

Frostwrought Scion
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Invocations|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+1|Path of Vengeance, Frost Resistance|
---|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|Chilling nimbus|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+2|Icy touch|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+2|Bonus metamagic feat|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+2|
+2|
+3|Frostfell Senses|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+3|Glacial presence|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+4|Bonus metamagic feat|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+4|Frostfell Spellblast|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+5||+1 level of existing invocation-using class|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+5|Frostwrought apotheosis|+1 level of existing invocation-using class|
---[/table]

Class Skills: Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The frostwrought scion gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies. The spells of a frostwrought scion are slightly more complicated than those of his invocations, and as such, casting spells wearing medium or heavy armor, or with a shield, cause arcane spell failure as normal.

Invocations: At each level except for 1st and 10th, the frostwrought mage gains an increase in eldritch blast damage, caster level and new invocations as if he had gained a level in a previous invocation-using class. He does not gain any additional class features from this class; he gains an increase to caster level and new invocations only. If he possessed more than one invocation-using class previous to becoming a frostwrought mage, then he must choose one to increase.

Spells: At each level except for 3rd and 7th, the frostwrought mage gains an increase in spells known, spells per day, and caster level as if he had gained a level in a previous spellcasting class. He does not gain any additional class features from this class.

Path of Vengeance: The path of the frostwrought mage is a dangerous and demanding one, as it is the path of the embrace of winter and the dark, frozen power that it grants. Once a character has begun walking this path, deviation from this path shows that he was not strong enough to finish it and thus is never able to walk it again. Characters who take a level in a class other than frostwrought mage after the first level may never take a level in this class unless they have reached 10th level in frostwrought mage. After this point, the character has walked the path and mastered its secrets and may advance how he chooses. Characters who multiclass out of frostwrought mage before finishing the class to 10th level may never take levels in this class thereafter. Additionally, levels in invocation-using and spellcasting classes stack with frostwrought mage to determine the caster level of the character's frostwrought mage spells and invocations, but never to exceed the the frostwrought mage's character level.

Frost Resistance (Su): Training with the essence of winter quickly hardens even the frailest of body. The Frostwrought Mage adds his class level to any saves provoked by cold weather, as well as to saves against spells that cause cold damage or possess the Cold subtype.

Chilling Nimbus (Su): The very essence of the freezing cold underworld permeates the form of the frostwrought scion, causing him to radiate unnatural cold. Beginning at 2nd level, the character may produce glacial conditions in a 20-foot-radius emanation with himself at the center. The temperature band in that area decreases by one step or to cold, whichever produces the colder result (See Frostburn page 9.) The frostwrought scion can suppress this effect for 1 round as a free action, but it renews automatically on his next turn unless he consciously suppresses it again.

Icy Touch (Su): The chill of the grave that lingers in the scion's very bones radiates outwards with every touch. The character gains a touch attack that does 1d6 points of cold damage, plus the frostwrought scion's Intelligence modifier. This ability can be used in combination with the character's ability to eldritch blast, but not at range.

Bonus Glacial Feat: At 4th and 7th level, the frostwrought scion gains a bonus metamagic feat of his choosing. As an option, he may choose any feat requiring Snowcasting as a prerequisite. The character must meet the prerequisites of the feat he is selecting.

Frostfell Senses: The frostwrought mage, long exposed to the glitter of ice and the glare off reflected snow, finally adapts to strong light. He loses light blindness, if he has it, and becomes immune to the dazzled condition. He also ignores all penalties due to snow glare and snow blindness, as well as being able to see normally in snowfall, even in whiteout conditions.

Glacial Presence (Su): The endless cold that threatens to freeze the very being of the frostwrought mage grows ever outward, covering all around him with bitter winter. Beginning at 6th level, the frostwrought mage can produce extreme wintry conditions in a 100-foot radius emanation with himself at the center. The temperature band in that area decreases by two steps or to severe cold, whichever produces the colder result. (See Frostburn page 9.) The frostwrought mage can suppress this effect for 1 round as a free action, but it renews automatically on his next turn unless he consciously suppresses it again. This effect supersedes that of the chilling nimbus ability.

Frostfell Spellblast (Su): Such is the skill of the frostwrought scion that even his magic spells bears his freezing potency. He may choose to gain either Spellblast or Greatreach Blast, as the Eldritch Theurge class feature, and may select the one he does not choose later in place of a known invocation.

Frostwrought Apotheosis: The Frostwrought Mage gains the Cold subtype. His maximum age doubles, and he no longer takes age penalties. Also, from now on, if he knows the spell Fimbulwinter, he now only pays half the XP component to cast it.

Comments, especially by Gaiyamoto, welcomed.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 04:28 AM
The stackability of Icy Touch and Frostfell Spellblast is just too much.
In particular if used in a Gestalt build with Rogue on the other side. Just a simple little level 1 ranged touch attack spell could deal a bucket load of dice worth of damage. :smalleek:

Remove the stacking from Icy Touch.
Combining the eldritch blast with a spell using Frostfell Spellblast must count as a Sorcerer adding a metamagic feat. +2 Spell levels sounds reasonable.

Frostwrought Apotheosis is too much. Change it to this:
The Frostwrought Mage permanently gains the Cold subtype.
His maxmimum age increases by double and he no longer suffers ageing penalties to ability scores. After Frostwrought Apotheosis, casting the spell Fimbulwinter requires only half of the normal XP cost.

DeAnno
2013-10-07, 04:38 AM
All those requirements... very harsh for 8/10 on both sides, especially considering Eldritch Theurge (CM) is 10/10. Bonus metamagic feats are tricky to leverage properly since the class will leave you down 2 spellcaster levels and entry leaves you down 3.

Frostfell Senses could at least give Snowsight, that's reasonably tricky to get on an Arcane caster. Glacial Presence is admittedly cool. Frostfell Spellblast is a bit better than Spellblast, but comes online later. Fimbulwinter spam is thematic and cool, but as an 8th level spell it is going to be very hard to learn it on this guy (basically necessitates Warlock 3/Wizard 7/Frostwrought 10, impossible on a Sorc without Koboldesque shenanigans).

All and all it seems very restrictive and reluctant to give back, but that is admittedly a rather high-OP perspective.

Zarthrax
2013-10-07, 05:27 AM
The stackability of Icy Touch and Frostfell Spellblast is just too much.
In particular if used in a Gestalt build with Rogue on the other side. Just a simple little level 1 ranged touch attack spell could deal a bucket load of dice worth of damage. :smalleek:

Remove the stacking from Icy Touch.
Combining the eldritch blast with a spell using Frostfell Spellblast must count as a Sorcerer adding a metamagic feat. +2 Spell levels sounds reasonable.

Frostwrought Apotheosis is too much. Change it to this:
The Frostwrought Mage permanently gains the Cold subtype.
His maxmimum age increases by double and he no longer suffers ageing penalties to ability scores. After Frostwrought Apotheosis, casting the spell Fimbulwinter requires only half of the normal XP cost.

Well, Icy Touch is just a touch attack. It can't be used at range already, though I can add a line about requiring Hideous Blow to be used. In essence, changing Hideous Blow to a touch attack that deals EB damage + Icy Touch.

Frostfell Spellblast is basically Greatreach Blast from Eldritch Theurge with a new name. I can also transfer the text that causes it to take a full round action to use, I guess. I figured sacrificing Spellblast would be balanced enough. As for counting as adding a metamagic feat, well, the rule it's based on doesn't. Maybe a line requiring that Hellrime Blast be used on the Blast? Should reduce utility a bit, since it would always be cold damage.

Apotheosis: Basically for this one, I took the capstone from Frost Mage (Cold subtype, which makes sense considering he doesn't get cold resistance), and added two minor abilities that don't do much. I approve of the alterations though.

All those requirements... very harsh for 8/10 on both sides, especially considering Eldritch Theurge (CM) is 10/10. Bonus metamagic feats are tricky to leverage properly since the class will leave you down 2 spellcaster levels and entry leaves you down 3.

Frostfell Senses could at least give Snowsight, that's reasonably tricky to get on an Arcane caster. Glacial Presence is admittedly cool. Frostfell Spellblast is a bit better than Spellblast, but comes online later. Fimbulwinter spam is thematic and cool, but as an 8th level spell it is going to be very hard to learn it on this guy (basically necessitates Warlock 3/Wizard 7/Frostwrought 10, impossible on a Sorc without Koboldesque shenanigans).

All and all it seems very restrictive and reluctant to give back, but that is admittedly a rather high-OP perspective.

I like the Snowsight idea. Might add that one.

The lower the OP on homebrew, the more likely it is to be approved. I'd much rather get something rather useless approved and upgrade it, than offer something OP and risk getting it rejected. Worst case scenario, if I can't adjust this to the DM's liking, I can use Eldritch Theurge.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 06:48 AM
Well, Icy Touch is just a touch attack. It can't be used at range already, though I can add a line about requiring Hideous Blow to be used. In essence, changing Hideous Blow to a touch attack that deals EB damage + Icy Touch.
I thought of ten ways to break the game with that stacking right away when I saw it. On it's own it is pretty meh. It is the many things stacking together and allowing potentially more to stack with them that is my only issue.

Frostfell Spellblast is basically Greatreach Blast from Eldritch Theurge with a new name. I can also transfer the text that causes it to take a full round action to use, I guess. I figured sacrificing Spellblast would be balanced enough. As for counting as adding a metamagic feat, well, the rule it's based on doesn't. Maybe a line requiring that Hellrime Blast be used on the Blast? Should reduce utility a bit, since it would always be cold damage.
Changing it to be the same as the original Eldritch Theurge text should be fine instead of my suggestions. You gain the [COLD] subtype on the attack though, so either make it deal slightly less damage or make it harder to use, either way.

Apotheosis: Basically for this one, I took the capstone from Frost Mage (Cold subtype, which makes sense considering he doesn't get cold resistance), and added two minor abilities that don't do much. I approve of the alterations though.
My only thought was that no XP on Fimbulwinter means you can spam it. Which in a Fields of Blood game is just nasty and rude as you can remake the entire map into Frostfell region in just a few turns. lol.
With the two small additions you made it is a slightly more powerful than normal capstone.
Given you are taking this with Drow it means your Frostwrought Drow are still going to have an insane life span, and benefit from it also.
Ageing stuff makes little difference normally in D&D. It will in my game however.

I like the Snowsight idea. Might add that one.
Me to, throw it in.

The lower the OP on homebrew, the more likely it is to be approved. I'd much rather get something rather useless approved and upgrade it, than offer something OP and risk getting it rejected. Worst case scenario, if I can't adjust this to the DM's liking, I can use Eldritch Theurge.
We can make this work no worries. Aside from some issues with what I have mentioned already the other concern is that the class is now slightly weak in other areas.
Any arguments why this does not give full caster progression OR full eldritch progression? I can understand why not both with all the class features. But it should give at least one, else these builds can get a little weak in high OP high level games.

Zarthrax
2013-10-07, 01:08 PM
Like you said, mainly all the class features. I could see maybe upgrading it to 9/10 spellcasting and invocation use?

JoshuaZ
2013-10-07, 01:55 PM
The table mentions "Path of the Damned" while the entry is labeled "Path of Vengeance".

Also I agree that 8/10 looks really weak here. I'd be fine with this being 10/10, or 9.5/10 (that is 9/10 and then at level 1 you choose one of the two to increase). That's especially the case if you take any of Gaiyamato's suggestions.

Also a class feature that gives you a bonus to saves against cold effects based on your class level would be nice which would tie in well to the capstone.

Zarthrax
2013-10-07, 02:52 PM
That's a good suggestion.

An idea I had while I was waking up today was instead of Frostfell Spellblast trying to reinvent the wheel, it just grants you one or the other of Greatreach Blast or Spellblast, with the option to take the other one by learning it as a normal invocation later.

Thoughts?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 06:46 PM
That's a good suggestion.

An idea I had while I was waking up today was instead of Frostfell Spellblast trying to reinvent the wheel, it just grants you one or the other of Greatreach Blast or Spellblast, with the option to take the other one by learning it as a normal invocation later.

Thoughts?

That works fine.

Also yes go with the scaling save bonus for levels 1-9 and give it 9/10 casting.

Zarthrax
2013-10-07, 08:08 PM
I'll update it with the changes after work, then.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:44 PM
No sweat. :smallsmile:

Zarthrax
2013-10-08, 05:32 AM
Okay, compiled changes to the class before I edit them in.

Frostfell Senses- grants benefits of Snowsight, as well as the existing.
Frostfell Spellblast- grants either Spellblast or Greatreach Blast, letting you take the other later as an invocation choice
Frost Resistance- class level to saves against cold spells and weather, until immune at 10th
Frostfell Apotheosis - Cold subtype, doubles maximum age and negates age penalties, halves XP cost of Fimbulwinter
Spellcasting/Invocations - switches to 9/10

Editing in now.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 05:37 AM
You are free to use it once they are edited in place. :smallsmile:

Zarthrax
2013-10-08, 05:43 AM
Edited, although I made a slight prereq change. Lowered the Spellcraft and Arcana ranks to 9, and eliminated the Knowledge Religion requirement.

Okay?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 06:22 AM
That is fine. You could even drop the skill requirements down to 8 if you like.
the feat and class feature requirements are restrictive enough.

Zarthrax
2013-10-08, 06:24 AM
Done and done.