PDA

View Full Version : Democracy with Class: Voting up a Class!

malonkey1
2013-10-11, 07:30 PM
I've seen a lot of "Vote up a World" threads, but so far, I haven't seen any "Vote up a Class" threads, so here we go. This is gonna be a base class. You guys can suggest roles for the class (Healer, Tank, Buffer, etc.). Once we have four (4) possible roles, it'll be opened to voting. Then we'll move on to chassis, mechanics and subsystems, and finally fluff.

Possible Roles:

None yet!

Possible Chassis:
Not open yet.

Possible Mechanics and Subsystems:
Not open yet.

Possible Fluff:
Not open yet.

Zaydos
2013-10-11, 09:03 PM
I want to say something like "Conqueror" as a role.

When you say role do you mean role in combat (the examples all are) or role in the game?

If the latter seriously Conqueror, if not leader-sub-tank.

3WhiteFox3
2013-10-11, 10:04 PM
A determined class, people who just won't quit and will carry on through any problem, tragedy or failure by sheer guts and willpower.

ArcturusV
2013-10-12, 02:37 AM
Hmm... I'll toss in "Suitcase Ninja" as a role.

To define what is an understandably niche term that probably only got used by a couple of groups I've run into:

A "Suitcase Ninja" is what they called Batman without Plot Hole Belt (Where he always magically has exactly what he needs for the day's plot, like a standard Wizard or Cleric would). As in a guy who basically makes his own gear, or has people make it specially for him, the sort of things that people just don't have, or if they do have is all "super secret prototype black project" type stuff. Or just no one has because to make it functional required a level of genius or cash spent that made more logical people say "Umm... how about something else?". Typically they are mundane rather than magical, but have kind of pseudo-science BS that stretches what "mundane" tends to mean.

Just to Browse
2013-10-12, 04:08 PM
That's because classes cover more ground than any other single-unit mechanical package in D&D, with the thinnest-spread audience. People are always up for seeing a new monster but classes have huge balance disparity as well as a stupidly large number of resource systems, and your audience is divided as representative of that.

Also, "role" is a 4e-ism and I want it to burn. D&D 3e and PF have set no real precedent for a healer, buffer, or tank. They have an illusionist that you can build as a stealth-focused harrier or a disabler, and they have a fighter that you can turn into a tripstar/standstill-tank/leap attack beast, but they do not have "tank" or "support" classes.

Eladrinblade
2013-10-12, 04:31 PM
A determined class, people who just won't quit and will carry on through any problem, tragedy or failure by sheer guts and willpower.

Sounds like a cleric and/or crusader to me.

Hmm... I'll toss in "Suitcase Ninja" as a role.

Artificer?

------------

At this point, I can't think of any concept that isn't already covered. There's just so many classes already.

ArcturusV
2013-10-12, 04:57 PM
Maybe. But they tend to be more mundane than magical. The guy who has a hookshot versus the guy who has a wand of Fly, etc. Which is why I mentioned it. Unless you are a Magic Man there isn't much option for being that archetype in third. Heck, you can't even make relatively mundane items like Eggshell Grenades unless you're a spellcaster, by RAW. A ninja, who invents, creates, and uses these items by archetype... can't actually create them by the rules. :smallconfused:

CinuzIta
2013-10-12, 06:26 PM
i'd say something like infiltrator/spy..something more in line with a shinobi than, say, a rogue!