PDA

View Full Version : Theorycraft on PF magic access (Suikoden-Like)

Chaumel
2013-10-12, 10:36 PM
If you are familiar with the Suikoden games, this will make more sense to you, else, your input otherwise is still welcomed.

The premise is this, drop wizard, cleric, druid, and sorcerer from the game, they no longer exist. Add in a catch all caster class with spells per day equiv to a wizard, for the sake of simplicity. It would have a few other bells and whistles relating to the new system for magic. Cha based spell casting. Other classes would have appropriate stats for their base (TBA as of now for each, cantrips/orisons likely to be part of bells and whistles depending on different options.)

Ranger, paladin, and bard all gain an equiv of a wizard caster level every other level.

Monks, fighters, rogues, and barbarians all gain an equiv of a wizard caster level every four levels.

This would be a core class only setup, no prestige taken into account. Multiclassing is not allowed.

The caster class (Rune Sage, tentatively) can equip three spell types (one until level five, two until level ten), the bard, ranger, and paladin can equip two (second one at level ten), and the rest only one.

"spell types" are essentially a bunch of thematic groupings I'll make up, like domains. Each one will have two spells per spell level. The ability to swap out your current selection will require either extremely advanced training in a new skill to do in the field, or the services of a specially equip location otherwise, with failure chances that carry destructive penalties.

Access to the items you swap out to get new spell types will be somewhat limited, and in four tiers, priced accordingly.

First Tier: Access to spell levels 1-3, rather common
Second Tier: Access to spell levels 1-5, rather uncommon
Third Tier, Access to spell levels 1-7, very rare
Fourth tier, Access to spell levels 1-9, artifact rarity

It would be rare for a caster, even one able to cast 9th level spells, to actually have the ability to cast higher than level 7 spells. Meta Magic feats would work as they do now.

Part of this design is thematic to work with a setting I'd like to try based on Suikoden (system wise, not world-wise, per say.) The other part is to try and bring the classes into a closer kind of balance.

So, what I'd like to hear back from some of the better game breakers/theorycrafters out there, is how balanced do they think these eight classes would be with each other, and any possible suggestions to tweak things, or combo of spells to avoid pairing on one of the items. As I said, they would be thematically linked (For example, by element, spell school, or some other logical connection)