PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a PC Troll

hawkwing
2007-01-01, 10:49 PM
First to the Mods if this is wrong spot please move.....Thank you

Question I need a "Troll" for a D20 Modern UrbanArcana setting
Problems
1. I dont like the Savage Species conversion...too many levels as a monster
2. Im thinking too hard and want a balance perferably with out a level adj aka the Drow or other races.
3. This is from a game that I wont mention but my group has various exp in playing rpgs. from 2 years all the way to 28 +years of gaming thus d20 is the best to use cause of the ease of teaching the rules

"troll" perks
Big and nasty
High Con
High Str
+1 Natural armor
Dark Vision

Flaws
Low int
Low chr
Low Wis

If this is not enough info message me and I can break down the stats that are given

Thanks for any advice

Zincorium
2007-01-02, 12:37 AM
You can probably get away with a +2 to both str and con, with the abilities shown, balanced by a -2 to all mental stats, but that might not fit the level you'd imagine trolls to be at. With some or all of the giant hd, which aren't very good, you can probably justify giving another point or two in the physical stats, but that's running into the problem of too many levels as a monster like you said you didn't want.

A better question is what you need the D&D troll to be. If you can't imagine it without monstrously high stats, then you aren't going to be able to get those without some form of overall mechanical balance. It already seems like it's going to be much weaker than the original troll, so if you can put trolls in the story as just physically big and imposing rather than size large and stupidly strong/tough, then you'll have a more rewarding experience to give to that player (I'm assuming for the moment that you're the DM).

The_Werebear
2007-01-02, 01:06 AM
The big draw to trolls has always been regen.

I would put it at

+4 Str
-2 Dex
+2 Con
-2 All mental stats
Fast healing 1
Fire vulnerability( Double damage from fire)

hawkwing
2007-01-02, 10:02 AM
The Troll is from another game System

There is no fast healing or fire weakness. All "Trolls" were once human

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-02, 10:21 AM
I made a troll decended human race once but it probably isn't what you're looking for. I never worked out a level adjustment but it would be +1 or +2.

Grendelkin

Grendelkin are the descendents of traitors, criminals and outcasts who were forced to breed with trollwives.

GRENDELKIN RACIAL TRAITS

·+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –4 Charisma
·Medium: As medium creatures, Grendelkin have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
·Grendelkin base land speed is 30 feet.
·Darkvision: Grendelkin can see in the dark up to 60 ft. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise the same as normal sight, and Grendelkin can function just fine without any sight at all.
·Low-light vision: Grendelkin see twice as far as humans in low-light conditions such as star-light or candlelight but still cannot see in total darkness.
·Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds Grendelkin for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
·Regeneration: Grendelkin heal at the extraordinary rate of 1 hp an hour. If a Grendelkin loses a limb or body part, it grows back in 4 + 1d3 weeks. The Grendelkin can re-attach the severed member by holding it in place for 2d4 hours, Grendelkin usually carry around bandages to bind the lost body part to their stump whilst it re-attaches. A Grendelkin takes normal damage from all sources and still dies if reduced to –10 hp.
·Troll Blood: For all effects related to race, a Grendelkin is considered a Giant.
·Automatic Languages: Common and Giant, Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc
·Favoured Class: Rogue. A multi-classed Grendelkin’s Rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multi-classing. A Grendelkin’s particular human heritage gives it a disposure towards foul play.

Spasticteapot
2007-01-03, 02:05 AM
Do yourself a favor, and start playing Shadowrun.

They've got trolls, guns, magic, and more.

It also has Dunkelzahn.

Dunkie in '66!

hawkwing
2007-01-03, 03:24 AM
I am but the group does not want to learn another set of rules see origional post....I did not want the post locked if I mentioned the game

Leon
2007-01-03, 03:35 AM
TrollKin: +2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Cha
Racial Bonuses to Saves against Poison & Disease
Darkvision: 30
Improved Healing
Toughness (DR = Con Mod Vs Non lethal damage)

LA: +1

menschenfresser
2007-01-03, 10:45 AM
and why would mentioning shadowrun getting you post locked exactly ?

on topic : have you looked at the ogre (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogre.htm)-stats ?
i think they are more like the SR-Trolls than DnD-Trolls
it has a LA +2 , just chance the flavour to your fits..

hawkwing
2007-01-04, 12:23 AM
Mainly cause Im not positive about the posting on other info some things get locked and others dont.

Anyway I think I'll use a mod of the ogre thanks

I just cut the str down to say +6 or even +4
then no LA adjustment

Most importantly thanks folks for your ideas

oriong
2007-01-04, 02:39 AM
you'd need to cut ogre stats by a lot more than -4 or -6 to strength to qualify for no LA (even getting rid of stuff like Ogre HD.

They get a whole ton of stuff other than strength bonuses after all. If you want an LA 0 race, start by looking at LA 0 and maybe LA 1 races, not races like the ogre with a net ECL of 6.

You might start by looking at the Orc, they're a strong LA 0 race, and it wouldn't be hard to keep them at just LA one and make them more powerful (maybe all it would take is a boost up to size Large and an additional penalty to Dex and Cha or something).

However here's the essential problem: you're trying to make a Shadowrun Troll as a LA 0 race. That's just not right. Even in shadowrun they had something like LA, you spent character points to be a Troll or Elf, or in fact anything other than human. In fact, I believe that Trolls were the most expensive of the non-human races. The whole point is that they ARE more powerful than a human, not balanced against them (as an LA 0 race would be).

If you want Shadowrun style trolls your best bet is to start everyone at level 3 (shadowrun characters are relative badasses after all) and take Ogre Stats (maybe with slight penalties like lower natural armor and Strength) and no racial HD for LA 2.

pita
2007-01-04, 06:57 AM
Half ogres from savage species should fit what you want.

oriong
2007-01-04, 07:02 AM
It occurs to me that the Half-Giant might be a good option too, they're LA +1, and while they're not terribly strong (only +2 to strength and Con) they get Powerful Build which helps improve their damage by giving them Large weapons. Could probably trade Fire tolerant and their natural psionic abilities for +1 to natural armor.