PDA

View Full Version : A new Barbarian, help me build it.

ngilop
2013-10-14, 06:29 PM
Hey everybody, I am trying to re-do the Barbarian in my campaign world, to me there is not a whole lot of difference in concept between a Fighter and Barbarian, especially whne you consider that I made Rage and its derivitives Feats.

I am trying to focus a Barbarian more along the lines of a front line combatant who channels the spirits of his animal totem(s) but other than the bare bones and names of abilities I really don't have a lot to think of. Im deciding on letting the Barb have a 2nd Totem animal at a later level and maybe making an additonal one a feat.

anyways I want the barbarin to focus on supernatural abilities but refrain from actually casting spells/incarnam/vestiges/invocation etc.

animal totem is just the animal totem. it gives few base line abilities when you select, for instance Wolf nets you trip, bear nets you improved grabbed ETC. basically its a bonus feat at first level sort of with a set of abilites you gain at higher levels. id like 12 or so animals ya know, snake, deer, wolf, bear, boar, owl, hawk, turtle, lion, unicorn, pheonix, scorpion, Gorilla etc. Of course at certain levels you get another ability (im thinking like 6th 112th and 18th?). also the snake does not represent deceit but instead rebirth, rejuvenation and such. SO maybe regenration 1/fire&acid would be a good lvl 18 ability?

Totem power is where you get the cool supernatural abilities . I want these to range from per encounter, to a cool down period, to X times per day wherein X is y+stat mod+increasing integer.

frenzy is what wolverines get only at a certain % of life im thinking 30% off the to of my head, very animalistic i feel maye make a feat or ability called cornered as well?

Natural toughness is +2 nat AC and DR 1/-. increase by +1 and 1/- every 4th level.

totem transformation is kinda like wildshape only its a hybrid form.. think lycanthrope.. it lasts 10 minutes/level +10 minutes per con mod.

I need a super cool capstone as well.

anyways I am partially inspired by the Dark Age of Camelot midgard class Savage so if you guys know anything about that that is kinda of what I am looking for. I am aiming for a 'Tier' 3 or even a high "Tier' 4 designation.

Barbarian
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Animal Totem

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Frenzy

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Totem Power

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Natural Toughness

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Totem Power

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Totem Transformation

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Natural Toughness

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Totem Power

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Bonus Feat

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Natural Toughness, Totem Power

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Totem Power, Bonus Feat

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Natural Toughness

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Totem Power

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Natural Toughness, Bonus Feat

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge(Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, and small shields.

Amnoriath
2013-10-14, 11:12 PM
Hey everybody, I am trying to re-do the Barbarian in my campaign world, to me there is not a whole lot of difference in concept between a Fighter and Barbarian, especially whne you consider that I made Rage and its derivitives Feats.

I am trying to focus a Barbarian more along the lines of a front line combatant who channels the spirits of his animal totem(s) but other than the bare bones and names of abilities I really don't have a lot to think of. Im deciding on letting the Barb have a 2nd Totem animal at a later level and maybe making an additonal one a feat.

anyways I want the barbarin to focus on supernatural abilities but refrain from actually casting spells/incarnam/vestiges/invocation etc.

animal totem is just the animal totem. it gives few base line abilities when you select, for instance Wolf nets you trip, bear nets you improved grabbed ETC. basically its a bonus feat at first level sort of with a set of abilites you gain at higher levels. id like 12 or so animals ya know, snake, deer, wolf, bear, boar, owl, hawk, turtle, lion, unicorn, pheonix, scorpion, Gorilla etc. Of course at certain levels you get another ability (im thinking like 6th 112th and 18th?). also the snake does not represent deceit but instead rebirth, rejuvenation and such. SO maybe regenration 1/fire&acid would be a good lvl 18 ability?

Totem power is where you get the cool supernatural abilities . I want these to range from per encounter, to a cool down period, to X times per day wherein X is y+stat mod+increasing integer.

frenzy is what wolverines get only at a certain % of life im thinking 30% off the to of my head, very animalistic i feel maye make a feat or ability called cornered as well?

Natural toughness is +2 nat AC and DR 1/-. increase by +1 and 1/- every 4th level.

totem transformation is kinda like wildshape only its a hybrid form.. think lycanthrope.. it lasts 10 minutes/level +10 minutes per con mod.

I need a super cool capstone as well.

anyways I am partially inspired by the Dark Age of Camelot midgard class Savage so if you guys know anything about that that is kinda of what I am looking for. I am aiming for a 'Tier' 3 or even a high "Tier' 4 designation.

Barbarian
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Animal Totem

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Frenzy

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Totem Power

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Natural Toughness

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Totem Power

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Totem Transformation

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Natural Toughness

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Totem Power

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Bonus Feat

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Natural Toughness, Totem Power

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Totem Power, Bonus Feat

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Natural Toughness

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Totem Power

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Natural Toughness, Bonus Feat

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge(Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, and small shields.
I think giving a special skill depending on the animal they choose would be interesting. I also believe that the best way to increase the versatility of this character is being able to be like a beastmaster for your totem animal. I would say use the familiar as a base, swap the channel touch spells for shared frenzy, and give this character the explicit ability to scry. I also woudn't be hesitant to throw in a bonus feat for the critter as well.

ddude987
2013-10-15, 07:10 PM
The fluff sounds interesting but the loss of rage just feels off. If it is all feat based then at least it is still accessible. Still, I like the idea of a barbarian remake without rage. Just some ideas...

Perhaps give an animal companion to the barbarian of the associated totem. When he does the animal transformation, he takes melds into his animal and becomes spiritually entwined with them. The animal gets bigger, stronger, and more awesome. I would make the animal companion as stock druid companion. Just a note though, in my campaign setting druid animal companion are as stock druid - 4 levels and ranger gained stock druid companion progression.