PDA

View Full Version : The Baneseeker; a Spellcasting Hunter With a Grudge (Now Complete!)

Ziegander
2013-10-17, 08:43 AM
The Baneseeker

http://nerdtec.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/36.jpg

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Favored Enemy (1st), Nemesis, Track|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Trackless Step, Woodland Stride|4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Banemagic (+2d6, +1), No Fear|4|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Flawless Stride|5|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Favored Enemy (2nd), Track the Trackless|5|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Swift Hunter|5|3|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Banemagic (+4d6, +2)|5|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Ready and Waiting|5|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Favored Enemy (3rd)|5|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Shielded Mind|5|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Banemagic (+6d6, +3)|5|4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—

12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Stalwart Body|5|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—

13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Favored Enemy (4th)|5|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—

14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|A Thousand Voices|5|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Banemagic (+8d6, +4)|5|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Shroudstep Stride|5|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Favored Enemy (5th)|5|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Timeless Body|5|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Banemagic (+10d6, +5)|5|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Freedom of Movement|5|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier): Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Any; taken separately) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
A Baneseeker is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the bolas, longbow, net, sap, scimitar, shortbow, and whip. Baneseekers are proficient with light and medium armors and with shields (but not Tower Shields).

Spells
A Baneseeker casts divine spells, which are drawn from the Baneseeker spell list (see below). His alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A Baneseeker must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).

To prepare or cast a spell, the Baneseeker must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Baneseeker’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Baneseeker’s Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Baneseeker can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given in the table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.

A Baneseeker prepares and casts spells the same way an Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) does, from a prayerbook, but his single-minded fervor makes it difficult to broaden his record of spells.

Prayerbook: Unlike a Cleric, a Baneseeker does not receive his daily spell complement from whatever deity or cosmic force he worships. Rather, he collects new spells much as a Wizard does, but from such esoteric sources as holy tablets, ancient steles, or other magical scriptures. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his prayerbook.

A Baneseeker begins play with a prayerbook containing all 0-level Druid spells plus one 1st-level Baneseeker spell of the player's choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the Baneseeker has, the prayerbook has an additional 1st-level Baneseeker spell. At each new class level, the Baneseeker gains one new Baneseeker spell for his prayerbook; these can be of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new class level). At any time, a Baneseeker can also add spells found on scrolls containing divine spells to his prayerbook, but he must make any rolls required at a -4 penalty and spend double the time (see Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook on page 178 of the Player's Handbook). The Baneseeker can learn and thus prepare divine spells not found on his class spell list in this fashion but the free spell he gains for advancing in class level must be selected from the Baneseeker spell list.

Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a Baneseeker may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#favoredEnemy). The Baneseeker gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

At 5th level and every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th level), the Baneseeker may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2.

If the Baneseeker chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the Baneseeker’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.

Nemesis (Su): A Baneseeker is able to sense the presence of his Favored Enemies out to a 30ft radius away from himself. This works like the Detect Undead spell except that it functions for any creatures the Baneseeker has chosen as Favored Enemies, it does not pick up lingering auras, and it functions in a 30ft radius rather than a 60ft cone.

This ability constantly supplies the Baneseeker with 1st Round information without any action required, but the Baneseeker must Concentrate for 1 round to pick up 2nd Round information and 2 rounds to pick up 3rd Round information, as outlined in the spell description.

Track
The Baneseeker gains Track as a bonus feat.

Trackless Step (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Baneseeker leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Baneseeker may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect his.

Banemagic (Su): Starting at 3rd level, whenever a Baneseeker casts a spell that deals damage to one of his Favored Enemies, that spell deals any such creatures 2d6 additional damage. Furthermore, the Baneseeker gets a +1 bonus to any caster level checks made to penetrate spell resistance, and the save DC of his spell increases by 1.

The additional damage, the bonus to caster level checks, and the increase to save DC all continue to increase as the Baneseeker gains levels (4d6 damage, +2 caster level and save DCs at 7th, 6d6 damage, +3 caster level and save DCs at 11th, 8d6 damage, +4 caster level and save DCs at 15th, 10d6 damage, +5 caster level and save DCs at 19th).

No Fear (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a Baneseeker is immune to any fear effect produced by a Favored Enemy.

Flawless Stride (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Baneseeker can move through any sort of terrain that slows movement (such as undergrowth, rubble, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.

Track the Trackless (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a Baneseeker can track a creature moving under the influence of Pass without Trace or a similar effect, though he takes a -10 penalty on his Survival checks when doing so.

Swift Hunter (Ex): At 6th level and higher, a Baneseeker can move stealthily even at a quick pace. He no longer takes a —5 penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when moving at any speed up to his normal speed, and he takes only a —10 penalty (instead of a —20 penalty) on Hide and Move Silently checks when running (he takes the normal —20 penalty when attacking or charging.)

He may also move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty, and takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Ready and Waiting (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a Baneseeker is ready for trickery at all times. He can ready an action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready) against any Favored Enemy, even outside of the initiative sequence. If the creature triggers the Baneseeker's readied action at any point within the next hour, the Baneseeker can carry out his readied action as if the two were engaged in combat (as long as the Baneseeker is capable of carrying out that action). If the Baneseeker is incapable of carrying out the action—for instance, if he lacks the line of effect needed to cast a spell on the creature—the readied action is lost.

Shielded Mind (Ex): At 10th level, the Baneseeker gains spell resistance against divination spells equal to 15 + his class level. This benefit does not stack with other forms of spell resistance.

Stalwart Body (Ex): Starting at 12th level, a Baneseeker is immune to all poisons and diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.

A Thousand Voices (Su): At 14th level, the Baneseeker has eyes and ears all over the natural world and can communicate with any creature or with any stone, as if using Tongues and Stone Tell. He may do as often as he likes, and he may even use this ability to communicate with creatures that have no language in a manner similar to a Speak with Animals or Speak with Plants spell.

Shroudstep Stride (Su): Beginning at 16th level, a Baneseeker may move across the surface of water and other liquids (such as acid or lava) without the need to make Swim checks and without sinking or suffering any damage. He may do so indefinitely. While standing on the surface of such a liquid, the Baneseeker may plunge himself under as a free action on his turn (at which point he may suffer damage dealt by dangerous liquids, and any other debilitating effects, as normal).

Timeless Body (Su): Starting at 18th level, a Baneseeker does not age and loses any penalties he has taken from aging to this point.

While conscious, the Baneseeker has Regeneration of a value equal to his Constitution modifier, but cures himself of nonlethal damage only once per hour rather than once each round. His regeneration is overcome by damage dealt to him by his Favored Enemies, by vile damage, or by negative energy.

A Baneseeker with a Constitution modifier of +0 or a negative Constitution modifier does not have Regeneration until he has a Constitution modifier of at least +1. A Baneseeker that doesn't have a Constitution score, instead has Regeneration of a value equal to his Charisma modifier. If the Baneseeker is Undead, this Regeneration is overcome by positive energy rather than negative.

Freedom of Movement (Ex): At 20th level, and Baneseeker can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a Freedom of Movement spell, except that it is always active.

Ziegander
2013-10-17, 08:51 AM
Baneseeker Spell List

1st Level - Alarm, Bane, Cause Fear, Comprehend Languages, Detect Animals or Plants, Detect Snares and Pits, Detect Undead, Disguise Self, Doom, Endure Elements, Entangle, Expeditious Retreat, Faerie Fire, Hide from Animals, Hide from Undead, Jump, Longstrider, Magic Weapon, Obscuring Mist, Pass without Trace, Produce Flame, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Speak with Animals, True Strike

2nd Level - Acid Arrow, Align Weapon, Animal Messenger, Augury, Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Chill/Heat Metal, Darkvision, Death Knell, Delay Poison, Detect Thoughts, Find Traps, Fire Trap, Flame Blade, Fog Cloud, Fox's Cunning, Ghoul Touch, Hold Animal, Hold Person, Invisibility, Misdirection, Resist Energy, Remove Paralysis, Scare, Scorching Ray, Silence, Spider Climb, Touch of Idiocy, Tree Shape

3rd Level - Arcane Sight, Bestow Curse, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Contagion, Explosive Runes, Flame Arrow, Greater Magic Weapon, Halt Undead, Invisibility Purge, Lightning Bolt, Magic Vestment, Meld into Stone, Neutralize Poison, Nondetection, Poison, Polar Ray, Protection from Energy, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Searing Light, Snare, Speak with Plants, Spike Growth, Tongues, Vampiric Touch, Water Breathing, Water Walk

4th Level - Air Walk, Blight, Command Plants, Death Ward, Detect Scrying, Dimensional Anchor, Dispel Magic, Fear, Fire Shield, Flame Strike, Freedom of Movement, Greater Invisibility, Hold Monster, Phantasmal Killer, Repel Vermin, Rusting Grasp, Scrying, Solid Fog, Spell Immunity, Spike Stones

5th Level - Baleful Polymorph, Break Enchantment, Cloudkill, Commune with Nature, Disrupting Weapon, Feeblemind, Seeming, Slay Living, Spell Resistance, Stoneskin, Symbol of Pain, Telepathic Bond, Tree Stride, Wall of Fire

6th Level - Acid Fog, Contingency, Eyebite, Find the Path, Greater Dispel Magic, Harm, Mass Bear's Endurance, Mass Bull's Strength, Mass Cat's Grace, Mislead, Stone Tell, Symbol of Fear, Transport via Plants, Undeath to Death, Wall of Stone

7th Level - Animate Plants, Blasphemy, Dictum, Ethereal Jaunt, Fire Storm, Greater Arcane Sight, Greater Scrying, Holy Word, Mass Hold Person, Power Word Blind, Spell Turning, Sunbeam, Symbol of Stunning, Symbol of Weakness, True Seeing, Wind Walk, Word of Chaos, Word of Recall

8th Level - Antimagic Field, Binding, Control Plants, Destruction, Forbiddance, Forcecage, Greater Spell Immunity, Incendiary Cloud, Mass Invisibility, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience, Plane Shift, Power Word Stun, Sunburst, Symbol of Death, Trap the Soul

9th Level - Etherealness, Foresight, Imprisonment, Mass Hold Monster, Power Word Kill, Soul Bind, Storm of Vengeance, Weird

Ziegander
2013-10-17, 01:17 PM
So... the power level of this class. Where would you place it? Honestly, I think you could lose spells and spell slots beyond 6th level and give it a Bard casting progression, but I figured I could justify the high level spells, so I might as well include them. I know it's really powerful, but I feel like it's probably no more powerful than a Druid. Or is it?

Moonwolf727
2013-10-17, 05:08 PM
I haven't fully read it over, and I will post something more resembling a proper examination when I have, but you may want to remove that reference to Archivist-level in the prayerbook section first of all :smalltongue:

Ziegander
2013-10-17, 05:33 PM
I haven't fully read it over, and I will post something more resembling a proper examination when I have, but you may want to remove that reference to Archivist-level in the prayerbook section first of all :smalltongue:

Thank you! I also caught another Archivist reference which has now been expunged.

Morph Bark
2013-10-18, 04:17 AM
So... the power level of this class. Where would you place it? Honestly, I think you could lose spells and spell slots beyond 6th level and give it a Bard casting progression, but I figured I could justify the high level spells, so I might as well include them. I know it's really powerful, but I feel like it's probably no more powerful than a Druid. Or is it?

So, you want it to be Tier 1 then? I mean, you known where the Druid's at. :smalltongue:

If you don't want it to be there, then you would need to remove the Archivist-like nature of the spell-scribing. It may be harder for him than for an Archivist, but it's still possible, and the check could easily be boosted somehow.

Ziegander
2013-10-18, 07:19 AM
So, you want it to be Tier 1 then? I mean, you known where the Druid's at. :smalltongue:

If you don't want it to be there, then you would need to remove the Archivist-like nature of the spell-scribing. It may be harder for him than for an Archivist, but it's still possible, and the check could easily be boosted somehow.

I don't mind it being Tier 1, but I don't want it to be more powerful than existing Tier 1 classes. If it's about equal or slightly less strong, then I'm cool with it.