PDA

View Full Version : Multishot and Sneak Attack

cupkeyk
2007-01-02, 09:46 PM
So Haley doesn't know if Sabine is a devil or a demon so she used one adamantine arrow and one cold iron arrow against her in a sneak attack/ multishot. Total damage regardless, who gets to choose which arrow gets the sneak attack damage. If the one Sabine has no damage reaction is selected she may be forced into certain complications like a harder concentration check if using a spell like ability at the time or even a massive damage fortitude save (yeah right...). If the other arrow gets the dice less individual damage pushes through individually but the same amount of damage pushes through total.

So incases where the player is unaware of the individual effects of the arrows, who gets to choose which hits the sneak attack mark? DM? Random? Ignoract PC?

Ramza00
2007-01-02, 10:01 PM
It is possible Haley has taken greater manyshot

TheOOB
2007-01-02, 10:48 PM
Also, considering what the party knows of Sabrine so far (and definatly considering what we know) it's not to unreasonable to assume the Sabrine is a Succubus and determine her DR from that.

Besides, DR just subracts a static amount from an attack, a sneak attack will still do a hell of a lot of damage.

But yes, in order to gain multiple sneak attacks with manysht you'll need greater manyshot, which i belive is in the XPH.

If you don't have greater manyshot I'd rule that as a player, you are responsible for determining what the "main" attack of the manyshot is, that is which one deals damage first and gets sneak attack damage.

Catharsis
2007-01-03, 11:28 AM
She might just be using rapid shot, or an iterative attack.

Matthew
2007-01-03, 11:35 AM
The Player Character would likely decide, but there appears to be no clear ruling. I would assume it would be the First Arrow, which is also the one that benefits from a Critical Hit.

Thomas
2007-01-03, 11:36 AM
You roll damage for the arrows one at a time, don't you? So just rule that the one you roll for first always gets the sneak attack. Let the player pick which one is rolled for first; it's a 50% chance to "get it right," which looks reasonable. (Or 1-in-3 chance with 3 arrows, etc.)

Ramza00
2007-01-03, 01:33 PM
Remember Haley doesn't know which arrow is the correct one at damaging Sabine dr. We may know it (or guess it) but Haley doesn't, her player may know it but him picking it when the character doesn't is metagaming.

Thus its a coin flip if the pc picks, or its up to the DM.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-03, 01:43 PM
You could require a Knowledge (The Planes) check to determine if your opponent is a devil or a demon. That'd solve the problem rather handily.

Ramza00
2007-01-03, 01:54 PM
You could require a Knowledge (The Planes) check to determine if your opponent is a devil or a demon. That'd solve the problem rather handily.
But Haley failed that knowledge check

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0062.html

I love the classics :smallbiggrin:

clarkvalentine
2007-01-03, 03:38 PM
At my table I'd rule that precision damage (like Sneak Attack) applies to the entire attack in general, not one individual arrow, thus rendering the question moot. :smallwink:

Hannes
2007-01-03, 03:41 PM
Clark says it all.

Thomas
2007-01-03, 09:02 PM
At my table I'd rule that precision damage (like Sneak Attack) applies to the entire attack in general, not one individual arrow, thus rendering the question moot. :smallwink:

That doesn't make sense. The question here is whether the sneak attack damage ignores the DR or not, when using one arrow that would ignore the DR and one that wouldn't.

clarkvalentine
2007-01-03, 09:04 PM
That doesn't make sense. The question here is whether the sneak attack damage ignores the DR or not, when using one arrow that would ignore the DR and one that wouldn't.

Sorry, I'll be more specific. I'd rule that because one of the arrows penetrates DR, that would carry the precision damage through the DR.

Thomas
2007-01-03, 09:23 PM
Sorry, I'll be more specific. I'd rule that because one of the arrows penetrates DR, that would carry the precision damage through the DR.

Makes sense.