PDA

View Full Version : Skim's Untouchable Duel and Other Spells: Balance Point?

Thunderfist12
2013-10-22, 02:36 PM
I will later be setting up the Duel domain for these spells, but first: What level are these spells?

Skim's Untouchable Duel
Abjuration/Evocation
Level: Duel X, Sor/Wiz X
Components: V/S
Range: 20 ft. +10 ft./level.
Area of Effect: 30 ft. radius +5ft./2 levels.
Duration: Until all but one in the area of effect is subdued by the rules of the duel. One who is disqualified ends the duration for himself only.
Casting Time: One standard action.
Saving Throw: Will negates (count as disqualification).
Spell Resistance: None.

This spell, most often used to prevent interference in an official duel, creates a large, invisible dome around the targeted area, preventing outside forces from interfering with the duel. People cannot move into or out of this bubble. The conditions of said duel are set by the caster. Until the duel is ended by the conditions being met (subdual, death, and surrender are common triggers), those within the dome are bound to these rules. The rules apply to everyone, and cannot favor anyone directly (ie. everyone but the caster being unable to use spells).

If someone violates the conditions set, they are disqualified. They are no longer a part of the duel, and are forced out of the bubble.

Thunderfist's Unblockable Strike
Transmutation
Range: None.
Target: Self.
Duration: Until your next attack.
Saving Throw: None.

Your next attack is treated as though you had rolled a natural 20. Proceed to confirm your critical. True strike may stack with this to give a +5 on the confirmation (rather than +20 on the attack). This does not allow a vorpal weapon's special ability to be used in said attack.

Move Force Wall
Transmutation
Range: 10 ft. +5ft./level.
Target: One magically created wall, dome, etc.
Duration: 1 round +1/3 levels.
Saving Throw: None.

You move the targeted object 10ft. per round. This moves boundaries, damages creatures it touches on the way as though they had entered it, and engulfs/releases creatures moved into/out of its range by this movement. For example, Skim's untouchable duel would release combatants no longer in its range, and engulf new targets, while Wall of Swords would damage people it touches whilst moving.

Maginomicon
2013-10-22, 07:14 PM
Skim's Untouchable Duel exists as Spell Duels in Complete Arcane and the Rules Compendium (page 36). Unless the point of Skim's Untouchable Duel is to magically make absolutely sure that no one intervenes in the duel, the spell seems superfluous.

Zaydos
2013-10-22, 08:13 PM
Skim's Untouchable Duel: Needs more, or better, examples of un-allowable rules. As one possible case could the caster seal a fighter in with them saying that "use of weapons is forbidden" leaving the caster free to use spells against the defenseless fighter. That said it also seems that if I was sealed in one I'd simply break the rules to become disqualified and escape, so perhaps the best use is the most open rules possible. Two other notes depending upon spell level I might lower its area because as is you could by CL 9 cast the spell around your enemies (some of whom are more than 200-ft away), set the rules to be subdual only by means of death, and then just wait until they kill each other or starve. Also as worded the duration means that even if you seal 8 creatures in if one creature breaks a rule or is subdued the spell ends for everyone.

Thunderfist's Unblockable Strike: Needs a casting time, also realize that combined with a vorpal weapon this is an automatic kill, no save. So you want to note it doesn't trigger vorpal weapons, and I need to add a similar note to an ability I made.

Move Force Wall: ... :smalleek: :nale: I just got to say I love it. Not sure what level it needs to be (I'd have to look through more damaging walls) but it just looks like so much fun.

Thunderfist12
2013-10-23, 08:56 AM
... changing spell stuff... now.

Edit: some changes made, might still change more.