PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dire Wolf monster class. It eats PEACHes.

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 03:51 PM
After being begged by one of my players to play an animal and reading through most of Community Monster Classes... I'll be posting some of mine here. With no rhyme or reason.

First goes...

Dire Wolf, Awakened
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|+2 Str, +2 Dex, Wolf Body, Trip

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|+2 Str, +1 Con, Skills, Bonus Feat (Run), Scent

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|+2 Str, +1 Con, Growth, Bonus Feat (Awareness), Track, Pack Tactics[/table]

HD: d10
Skills: 4 + Int (x4 at first level).
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Intimidate, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim

Class features

Proficiencies: An Awakened Dire Wolf is proficient with its natural attacks.

Wolf Body: An Awakened Dire Wolf loses all other racial bonuses, and gains magical beast traits. It has a land speed of 40', darkvision 60', low light vision, and a natural armour bonus equal to its Con mod.
It is a medium sized magical beast with base speed of 40 foot, and a natural weapon bite attack dealing 1d6+1,5 Str modifier damage. Dire Wolves have no limbs capable of fine manipulation.
An Awakened Dire Wolf can speak one language that it knows, plus one additional language that it knows per point of Intelligence bonus (if any). It can speak with the animals of its kind.

Ability Score Increase: An Awakened Dire Wolf gains a permanent
+2 bonus to Strength and +2 bonus to Dexterity at 1st level
+2 bonus to Strength and +1 bonus to Constitution at 2nd level
+2 bonus to Strength and +1 bonus to Constitution at 2nd level

for a total bonus of +6 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution at level 3.

Trip: A 1st level a dire wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking anattack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dire wolf.

Scent: As the SRD ability.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level a Dire Wolf gains Run as a bonus feat. At 3rd level it gains Awareness.

Skills: An awakened dire wolf has a +1/2HD racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.

Track: As the SRD feat.

Growth: At 3rd level, the Dire Wolves category becomes Large.

Pack Tactics: While flanking an enemy, the Dire Wolf may take a free 5 foot step for every attack it makes against that enemy.
Additionally, when flanking an enemy, the Dire Wolf adds an additional +1 to its critical threat range.

Instead of growing, the Dire Wolf may choose to gain a +2 bonus to any of his physical stats.

Forrestfire
2013-10-22, 04:03 PM
I think with the doubled strength bonuses, if I wanted to play a dire wold character, this would be on the table for playing, compared to other possibilities. Although having a lack of opposable thumbs and being large size would still cause me to have misgivings most likely.

I'm not your player, though, so I don't know their thoughts on it. Hopefully they like it.

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 04:29 PM
Well, the class is based on Oslecamo's works and in his FAQ there's this:

If a monster class would make you grow but you would rather stay in your previous size, you may instead simply gain a +1 to a physical stat of your choice.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-22, 05:24 PM
Looks pretty solid. One minor note, though: awakened animals (which I presume this is, thanks to the name/magical beast typing) can speak one or more normal languages. Does this guy have the same ability?

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 06:45 PM
Looks pretty solid. One minor note, though: awakened animals (which I presume this is, thanks to the name/magical beast typing) can speak one or more normal languages. Does this guy have the same ability?

Yes. Everything not noted here is per the standard Awakened Animal description.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-22, 07:39 PM
Yes. Everything not noted here is per the standard Awakened Animal description.
I'd either list everything (it's not that big a list) or a include a "as the Awakened spell" type disclaimer.

Forrestfire
2013-10-22, 08:12 PM
I'm tempted to throw together something that could fit for a 15-20 level class with thematic abilities of being a much-better-than-normal direwolf. Mind if I post it here once I do?

Zaydos
2013-10-22, 08:33 PM
Table says trip is gained at 1st level, text says 2nd.

I'd actually be rather tempted to avoid growth myself depending upon DM due to having to squeeze through squares and -1 to attack and AC, but the +4 to trip might make up for that.

I'd also think about increasing their class skill list, maybe adding Search, and Knowledge (Nature).

Xerlith
2013-10-23, 03:17 AM
I'm tempted to throw together something that could fit for a 15-20 level class with thematic abilities of being a much-better-than-normal direwolf. Mind if I post it here once I do?

Go ahead. I was thinking of doing so myself. The less work for me. :smalltongue:

Table says trip is gained at 1st level, text says 2nd.

Fixed. It's 1st.

I'd actually be rather tempted to avoid growth myself depending upon DM due to having to squeeze through squares and -1 to attack and AC, but the +4 to trip might make up for that.
The growth can be substituted by gaining a +1 (but I am tempted to say +2) to any physical stat, per Oslecamo's Monster Class rules.

I'd also think about increasing their class skill list, maybe adding Search, and Knowledge (Nature).

Search... True. I am a bit reluctant about the Knowledge, though.

EDIT: I added the language bit, per Grod_The_Giant's advice. I am torn between giving them a flat out ability to speak and needing to find a way to form the words, though. Don't know if they need another handicap, having no hands, though.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-23, 10:17 AM
EDIT: I added the language bit, per Grod_The_Giant's advice. I am torn between giving them a flat out ability to speak and needing to find a way to form the words, though. Don't know if they need another handicap, having no hands, though.
Eh, let 'em talk. Awakened animals explicitly can speak. So can Worgs. And having to write words in the ground with you paw or buy some kind of custom magic item would just be an irritating hindrance after a while.

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 12:16 PM
Go ahead. I was thinking of doing so myself. The less work for me. :smalltongue:

Alright. Not sure if it's under or overpowered, but it looks like a strong tier 4 class in versatility, probably comparable in actual power to a well-designed tier 3? Anyone care to PEACH?

(Dire Wolf + Monster of Legend + a bunch of thematic abilities and full hit dice)

Big Badass Wolf (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigBadassWolf)
{table=head] Level | Base Attack Bonus |
Fort Save |
Ref Save |
Will Save | Class Features

1st | +1 |
+2 |
+2 |
+0 | Wolf body, Str +2, Con +2, Natural Armor +1, Bite, Alertness

2nd | +2 |
+3 |
+3 |
+0 | Str +2, Dex +2, Con +2, Scent, Trip

3rd | +3 |
+3 |
+3 |
+1 | Str +2, Natural Armor +2, Wolf Skills

4th | +4 |
+4 |
+4 |
+1 | Dex +2, Run, Natural Armor +3, What Sharp Eyes You Have

5th | +5 |
+4 |
+4 |
+1 | Str +2, Bonus Feat, Resilient Hide +1, Devour Magic

6th | +6/+1 |
+5 |
+5 |
+2 | Dex +2, Con +2, Special Ability, "I'll Huff..."

7th | +7/+2 |
+5 |
+5 |
+2 | Con +2, Big and Bad, Alpha Wolf, Natural Armor +4

8th | +8/+3 |
+6 |
+6 |
+2 | Dex +2, Wis +2, Improved Initiative, Like the Wind

9th | +9/+4 |
+6 |
+6 |
+3 | Str +2, What Big Teeth You Have, Natural Armor +5

10th | +10/+5 |
+7 |
+7 |
+3 | Dex +2, Frightful Presence, Resilient Hide +2

11th | +11/+6/+1 |
+7 |
+7 |
+3 | Str +2, Cha +2, Howl of the Pack, Natural Armor +6

12th | +12/+7/+2 |
+8 |
+8 |
+4 | Con +2, Special Ability, "And I'll Puff..."

13th | +13/+8/+3 |
+8 |
+8 |
+4 | Str +2, Con +2, Master of the Pack, Natural Armor +7

14th | +14/+9/+4 |
+9 |
+9 |
+4 | Str +2, Bigger and Badder

15th | +15/+10/+5 |
+9 |
+9 |
+5 | Cha +2, Resilient Hide +3, Natural Armor +8

16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 |
+10 |
+10 |
+5 | Str +2, Primal Mind

17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 |
+10 |
+10 |
+5 | Wis +2, "And I'll Blow Your House In!"

18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 |
+11 |
+11 |
+6 | Con +2, Special Ability

19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 |
+11 |
+11 |
+6 | Str +2, Con +2, Lord of the Hunt

20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 |
+12 |
+12 |
+6 | The Biggest and The Baddest, Resilient Hide +4 [/table]

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Handle Animal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A big badass wolf is is proficient with its natural armor and with with light and medium armor.

Wolf Body: A big badass wolf loses all other racial abilities and traits and gains the following:

Base land speed of 40'
Darkvision out to 60' and low-light vision..
Magical Beast traits
Big badass wolves have no limbs capable of fine manipulation.
Tireless Predator: Big badass wolves do not need to sleep, although many still do.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). In addition, a big badass wolf can converse with any wolves and dire wolves freely.

Ability Bonuses: At certain levels, a big badass wolf gains bonuses to his ability scores, as noted on the class table. These changes are cumulative.

Natural Armor (Ex): At 1st level, a big badass wolf has a natural armor bonus of +1. This bonus increases to +2 at 3rd level, +3 at 4th level, +4 at 7th level, +5 at 9th level, +6 at 11th level, +7 at 13th level, and +8 at 15th level.

Bite: A big badass wolf can use its jaws as a bite attack. This is a natural weapon that deals 1d6 points of piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage. Unlike other natural weapons, a big badass wolf with a Base Attack Bonus of +6 or higher may make additional bite attacks in a round, using its iterative attack bonus.

Alertness: A 1st level big badass wolf gains Alertness as a bonus feat.

Scent (Ex): A 2nd level big badass wolf gains the scent ability.

Trip (Ex): A 2nd level or higher big badass wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the big badass wolf.

Wolf Skills (Ex): A 3rd level or higher big badass wolf has a racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks equal to half its level. It also has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Run: A 4th level big badass wolf gains Run as a bonus feat.

What Sharp Eyes You Have (Su): A 4th level or higher big badass wolf has such strong senses that it can see invisible creatures, as if it had a constant see invisibility spell on it. A dispel magic spell suppresses this ability, but the big badass wolf can simply elect to reactivate it in the following round as a free action.

Resilient Hide (Ex): At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, a big badass wolf gains a +1 bonus to all of its saving throws. This stacks with any other bonuses that might apply.

Devour Magic (Su): At 5th level or higher, a big badass wolf gains the ability to empower its bite attack by consuming magic items and absorbing their magic properties. This requires the wolf to devour magic items worth the difference between the market price of the desired enchantments and the market price of any current enhancements to the natural weapon. The big badass wolf must spend 1 day per 1,000 gp value devoured to enhance its bite attack. During this time, it must spend at least 8 hours each day resting itself to focus all its energy on digesting the volatile raw magic.

The big badass wolf's level dictates the maximum value of its enchanted jaws, as shown in the following table:

{table=head]
Level |
Value

5th |
4,500 gp

6th |
6,500 gp

7th |
9,500 gp

8th |
13,500 gp

9th |
18,000 gp

10th |
24,500 gp

11th |
33,000 gp

12th |
44,000 gp

13th |
55,000 gp

14th |
75,000 gp

15th |
100,000 gp

16th |
130,000 gp

17th |
170,000 gp

18th |
220,000 gp

19th |
290,000 gp

20th |
380,000 gp [/table]

Special Ability (Ex or SU; see text): At 6th, 12th, and 18th level, a big badass wolf gains a special ability chosen from the following list. Each time the character gains a new ability, most of his abilities improve. An ability on the list can only be chosen once.

Weapons Are Useless (Ex): Damage Reduction 5/silver. At 12th level, this increases to DR 10/dilver. At 18th level, this instead becomes DR 10/silver and epic.

Won't Stay Down (Ex): The big badass wolf has an massively fast healing ability, granting it Fast Healing 1. At 12th level, this increases to Fast Healing 3, and at 18th level, it increases to Fast Healing 5. In addition, an 18th level big badass wolf with this ability instead has Regeneration 5 that is only overcome by silver weapons, and can regrow any detached limbs in 1 round, granting it immunity to permanent dismemberment and to decapitation by Vorpal weapons.

Impenetrable Hide (Su): The big badass wolf's fur takes on a silvery sheen and it gains Spell Resistance 10 + level. At 12th level, this increases to 15 + level. At 18th level, the big badass wolf is is constantly protected from spells as if it had spell turning cast on it. If a spell is successfully reflected by the big badass wolf, its defenses refresh in one round, protecting from 1d4+6 levels of spells until another spell is reflected.

Teeth Like Swords (Ex): The big badass wolf's teeth take on an unnatural sharpness. Its bite attack has an increased base threat range, threatening a critical hit on a 17-20. Unlike many such abilities, this stacks with other effects that increase threat range. At 12th level, the big badass wolf’s bite deals triple damage on a successful critical hit instead of double. At 18th level, the big badass wolf’s bite attack becomes Vorpal. Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the bite severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body.

Through the Inferno (Ex): The big badass wolf considers trivialities like fire and lightning to be beneath its attention. It gains resistance 10 to two types of energy damage (fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic, positive, and negative). At 12th level, these resistances improve to 20, and the big badass wolf chooses another two elements to gain resistance 10 to. At 18th level, each resistance 20 becomes an immunity, each resistance 10 improves to 20, and the big badass wolf chooses another two elements to gain resistance 10 to.

Too Fast to Follow (Su): The big badass wolf moves at a blinding rate, and when it attacks, many find themselves reacting after it has already run them down. The wolf gains pounce, and so may follow a charge with a full attack action. At 12th level, the big badass wolf may act as if under a haste spell for a number of rounds per day equal to its level. This ability is activated or suppressed as a free action at the start of the big badass wolf’s turn. At 18th level, this ability becomes always active, but may still be suppressed if the big badass wolf wills it.

Bonus Feats: The big badass wolf gains a feat it meets the prerequisites for as a bonus feat. A big badass wolf qualifies for any [Monstrous] feats it meets the prerequisites for. At 12th and 18th levels, it gains another bonus feat.

"I'll Huff..." (Su): A 6th level big badass wolf has the ability to let forth a gust of wind, as the spell, from its lungs once per encounter. In addition, any fragile structures (e.g. a thatch hut, walls made of paper, or a tent) are destroyed. If a structure is only partially in the area, then only the parts inside the area of the gust are affected.

Big and Bad (Ex or Su; see text): At 7th level, a big badass wolf’s natural size grows to Large. However, unlike most creatures, the big badass wolf can choose to change its size. As a standard action, the wolf can change from Large to Medium, or back again. This is a supernatural ability that lasts until the big badass wolf returns to its natural size using this ability. An anti-magic field suppresses any reduction in size from this ability.

While in Large form, a big badass wolf gets +4 to Strength, -2 to Dex compared to its Medium form, and takes a -1 size penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. In addition, its base land speed increases to 50ft, and its bite attack increases its damage die by one category according to the “Increased Damage By Size” table. (” http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm”)

Magic items carried by the big badass wolf change size with it when it uses this ability.

Alpha Wolf (Ex): A 7th level big badass wolf attracts a pack of followers as if it had the leadership feat. Treat wolves and dire wolves as if they were of a level equal to half their hit dice for the purposes of attracting them to the pack (e.g. a standard, 2 HD wolf would be considered a level 1 follower, and a 6 HD dire wolf would be considered level 3 for the purposes of attracting them to the pack).

In addition, the big badass wolf may attract up to three younger wolves as cohorts. These cohorts have a number of big badass wolf levels equal to the character's level -4.

Improved Initiative: A 8th level big badass wolf gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

Like the Wind (Ex): An 8th level big badass wolf can jump so well that some would swear it was flying. A big badass wolf may take a full-round action to make a running leap, moving up to five times its base land speed in a straight line before making a jump check with a bonus equal to twice the big badass wolf's level.

Unlike other jumps, this jump is made at extreme speeds, and the wolf lands before its next turn, no matter the distance traveled.

What Big Teeth You Have (Ex): At 9th level, a big badass wolf’s bite attack increases its damage die as if it was one size larger. This stacks with any size increases the wolf is affected by.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A 10th level big badass wolf can let out a bloodcurdling howl as a standard action, inspiring terror in all creatures within 20 feet that have fewer Hit Dice or levels than it. Each potentially affected opponent must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + ½ level + Charisma modifier) or become shaken—a condition that lasts until the opponent can no longer hear to see the wolf. A successful save leaves that opponent immune to this big badass wolf's frightful presence for 24 hours.

Howl of the Pack (Sp): An 11th level big badass wolf gains the ability to summon wolves from his pack to his location. Once per day as a full round action, the big badass wolf may let out a supernatural, earsplitting howl. This ability it summons 1d6/five levels members of the big badass wolf's pack, along with all all three the big badass wolf's cohorts.

This is a Conjuration (Calling) effect that lasts a number of rounds equal to the big badass wolf's level, or until it is dismissed.

"And I'll Puff..." (Su): A 12th level big badass wolf has the a frightening ability to create concentrated blasts of air from its lungs. Once every 1d4 rounds, the big badass wolf may make a ranged touch attack at a single target as a standard action. If it hits, the target takes 1d6 points of damage per four big badass wolf levels, and you may make a bull rush against that enemy, substituting your Constitution modifier for your Strength modifier. If the bull rush is successful, the enemy must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ level + Constitution modifier) or be knocked prone.

In addition, a big badass wolf of this level may use its "I'll Huff..." ability more than once per encounter, but once it breathes, it can’t use another breath ability again until 1d4 rounds later.

Master of the Pack (Su): A 13th level big badass wolf is recognized as a powerful leader by other wolves. Treat any wolf, dire wolf, winter wolf, or other such creature as Helpful towards the big badass wolf. In addition, once per day per two class levels, the big badass wolf may issue a command, as the spell, to any wolf of lower hit dice than it (Will Save DC 10 + ½ level + Charisma modifier).

Bigger and Badder (Ex or Su; see text): At 14th level, a big badass wolf’s natural size increases again, this time to Huge. As a standard action, the wolf can change sizes to Huge, Large, or Medium. This is a supernatural ability that lasts until the big badass wolf returns to its natural size using this ability. An anti-magic field suppresses any reduction in size from this ability.

While in Huge form, a big badass wolf gets +8 to Strength, -4 to Dex compared to its Medium form, and takes a -2 size penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. In addition, its base land speed increases to 70ft, and its bite attack increases its damage die by two categories according to the “Increased Damage By Size” table. (” http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm”)

Magic items carried by the big badass wolf change size with it when it uses this ability.

Primal Mind (Ex): A 16th level big badass wolf’s mind is too strong to be shackled by mortal magic. A big badass wolf of this level is immune to mind-affecting affects. This immunity can be raised or lowered as a free action.

"And I'll Blow Your House In!" (Su): A 17th level big badass wolf's lungs have the ability to generate a true breath weapon. This breath weapon takes the form of a cone with the following dimensions, based on the current size of the big badass wolf:

{table=head]Size|Cone Length
Medium|30 ft.
Large|40 ft.
Huge|50 ft.
Gargantuan|60 ft.
Colossal|70ft.[/table]

Anything caught in the cone takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per 2 big badass wolf levels from the oppressive winds (Reflex DC 10 + ½ level + Constitution modifier for half damage). In addition, creatures caught in the breath are also affected as if they were exposed to hurricane-force winds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds), and any structures not made of brick, stone, or other equally sturdy materials are destroyed outright. If a structure is only partially in the area, then only the parts inside the area of the breath are affected).

Once a big badass wolf breathes, it can’t use another breath ability again until 1d4 rounds later.

Lord of the Forest (Sp): At 19th level, a big badass wolf gains the ability to heighten the intelligence of other wolves, bringing them closer to its own likeness. Once per week, the big badass wolf may awaken a wolf of the animal type (wolf, dire wolf, legendary wolf, etc) as if cast by a druid of a caster level equal to the big badass wolf's level.

This wolf is not necessarily a follower of the big badass wolf, but if it is, it does not count the two extra hit dice gained toward the follower limit of the big badass wolf's leadership score (e.g. a normal, 2 HD wolf awakened with this ability still counts as a level 1 follower).

In addition, the big badass wolf can form a supernatural connection with a natural area it calls home (be it a mountain, a forest, a jungle, etc). By spending a week claiming a this area as part of its territory, a big badass wolf gains several abilities:

The big badass wolf automatically knows the locations of all intruders in the area (any creature that does not call the area its home), and can create a scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm) sensor at that location, with a caster level equal to the big badass wolf's level.
The big badass wolf gains the ability to transport itself to any point in that area once per day, as if it had cast greater teleport with a caster level equal to its hit dice.
If it so chooses, the big badass wolf may summon its pack to it during this teleport. This does not use up the big badass wolf's daily use of Howl of the Pack.

A big badass wolf may have a number of territories it can use with this ability equal to half its level, and any further connections made will remove old ones in the order that they were created.

The Biggest and The Baddest (Ex or Su; see text): At 20th level, a big badass wolf has become a creature of myth and legend. The player and the DM should work out an appropriate story that permeates folklore regarding the character (for instance, a Lawful Good big badass wolf might be known as a defender of the weak who preys on evil wherever it goes, and a Chaotic Evil big badass wolf might be a horrible monster spoke of in hushed whispers and cautionary tales). For as long as these stories exist, the big badass wolf does not age and will not die of old age, and though it can be slain in combat, it is extremely difficult to permanently kill.

If a big badass wolf is killed, it reforms in one week's time in its home or lair as if a true resurrection spell had been cast on it. The only way to permanently end the beast is by trapping or destroying its soul during the interim period.

In addition, the big badass wolf can shift between sizes as a swift action rather than a standard action.

Some big badass wolves may swear their services to a champion of a cause, gaining additional abilities and binding their souls together.

A paladin may count a big badass wolf as her special mount. If she does, the big badass wolf does not gain any abilities from the special mount table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm#specialMount) other than Empathic Link, nor does it gain additional hit dice, Strength, natural armor, or Intelligence.

A paladin bonded with a big badass wolf may use her special mount ability to summon the wolf to her side, with the only difference being that the wolf's place of origin is likely to be the Material Plane, and that there is no limit to the duration of the summon.

toapat
2013-10-23, 12:29 PM
The Biggest and The Baddest (Ex or Su; see text): At 20th level, a big badass wolf has become a creature of myth and legend. The player and the DM should work out an appropriate story that permeates folklore regarding the character (for instance, a Lawful Good big badass wolf might be known as a defender of the weak who preys on evil wherever it goes, and a Chaotic Evil big badass wolf might be a horrible monster spoke of in hushed whispers and cautionary tales). For as long as these stories exist, the big badass wolf does not age and will not die of old age, although it can still be slain in combat.

In addition, the big badass wolf can shift between sizes as a swift action rather than a standard action.

This ability should grant a reincarnation in 1 weeks time as though the True Ressurection spell. afterall, the most resilient type of parasite is an idea

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 12:36 PM
This ability should grant a reincarnation in 1 weeks time as though the True Ressurection spell. afterall, the most resilient type of parasite is an idea

That's genius. Added to it.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-23, 12:47 PM
A few comments on your class, Forrestfire:

Granting iterative attacks with the bite is a great idea.
DR/Magic isn't great on a PC, given that attacks by creatures with DR/Magic (AKA "half the monster manual) bypass it.
The 18th level Fast Healing upgrade might be better served by upgrading to Regeneration.
SR based on half your level is near-useless. I'd go from 10+level to 15+level.
What's the action to activate Frightful Presence?
Howl of the Pack is cool, but could probably stand some upgrading as you continue to level. How about if instead of summoning generic dire wolves, it summoned 1d4+1 Big Bad Wolves with a class level half your own, rounded up?
Like the Wind is... kind of inexplicable. How 'bout granting jumping powers instead? (Flight is important, yes, but if you really needed it, you needed it way before 15th level)
Master of the Pack is very cool, but could stand to kick in a lot sooner.
Impenetrable Hide could maybe be moved down a few levels, so that it doesn't double up cool abilities. Either that, or make it the final upgrade of the SR chain.

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 12:58 PM
DR/Magic isn't great on a PC, given that attacks by creatures with DR/Magic (AKA "half the monster manual) bypass it.

Yeah, it didn't occur to me just how bad DR/magic is. Changed it to Silver, because it's thematically appropriate.

The 18th level Fast Healing upgrade might be better served by upgrading to Regeneration.

Good point.

SR based on half your level is near-useless. I'd go from 10+level to 15+level.

That is also a good point.

What's the action to activate Frightful Presence?
Probably should be a standard action. I just pulled the Monster of Legend text, and it didn't have one listed.

Howl of the Pack is cool, but could probably stand some upgrading as you continue to level. How about if instead of summoning generic dire wolves, it summoned 1d4+1 Big Bad Wolves with a class level half your own, rounded up?

That's actually a really cool idea.

Like the Wind is... kind of inexplicable. How 'bout granting jumping powers instead? (Flight is important, yes, but if you really needed it, you needed it way before 15th level)

Yeah, I removed it. The wolf can find a wings of flying or something.

Master of the Pack is very cool, but could stand to kick in a lot sooner.

What level would you suggest? I moved it down to 15 in the last edit to replace Like the Wind, but do you think it should be even lower?

Impenetrable Hide could maybe be moved down a few levels, so that it doesn't double up cool abilities. Either that, or make it the final upgrade of the SR chain.

Good point. It'll be the SR chain's capstone.

In any case, I have a pair of fairly boring 17th and 19th levels. Anyone got ideas for neat stuff to fill them, even if it's just a cool fluff ability?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-23, 02:04 PM
What level would you suggest? I moved it down to 15 in the last edit to replace Like the Wind, but do you think it should be even lower?
I'd put it at... oh, 7? A bit higher than Leadership, but that's basically what this is, after all, with a few saner limits.

Also, a minor note for you and Xerlith: does these classes have the ability to talk to other wolves, worgs, and dire wolves?

In any case, I have a pair of fairly boring 17th and 19th levels. Anyone got ideas for neat stuff to fill them, even if it's just a cool fluff ability?

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your walls down?" (That could probably come earlier, though).
Awakening other (dire) wolves.
"The Beast in Every Forest" (some kind of teleport effect)

Xerlith
2013-10-23, 02:36 PM
Well, mine should have this ability.

Forrestfire, this class is... Simply amazing. *Bow*

And having said that, modifying my entry a bit.

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 04:47 PM
Forrestfire, this class is... Simply amazing. *Bow*

I'm glad you think so :smallbiggrin:

Please let me know if you and your player decide to use it :smallsmile:

I'd put it at... oh, 7? A bit higher than Leadership, but that's basically what this is, after all, with a few saner limits.

Also, a minor note for you and Xerlith: does these classes have the ability to talk to other wolves, worgs, and dire wolves?

Ooh, and 7th level is also when the class turns into a bigger wolf, so it fits with the "suddenly a leader" aspect.

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your walls down?" (That could probably come earlier, though).
Awakening other (dire) wolves.
"The Beast in Every Forest" (some kind of teleport effect)

Good ideas.

I updated some of the class stuff (added a note to make magic items change size with the wolf), filled in some abilities, and added a blurb towards the end for the paladin.

Just to Browse
2013-10-23, 08:00 PM
Dire Wolf: Looks good. The pack tactics doesn't sit well with me though--I'd rather it be a boost to flanking than a free intimidate.

Big Badass Wolf: Great concept.
AC needs to start and end higher. You are a frontline fighter, +4 AC is basically the minimum you need to not get squished at lvl 1.
Resilient hide is weak. Players will just end up wearing cloaks of resistance anyways.
Impenetrable Hide and Won't Stay Down are pretty much better than all the other special abilities.
Does Ancestral Weapon make them radiate good? That seems a bit weird.
Leadership is very strong, now you can throw minions with varied skills at everything. Perhaps an alternative, at least for those squeamish about wielding a hundred wolves?
Wolf summoning is weak, especially since you already have leadership minions.
Beast in Every Forest is not an exciting ability, and even weaker because the wolf can't see the things going on.
I'd like to see the wolf get bigger.
It would look better if you switched the numbers for summoning with leadership so he can have a pack of cohort wolves and then summon an army if need be.
To give this some more combat options and bump it from T4 to T3, I'd grant big stat boosts in different forms--like change Str bonus to Dex bonus when Medium, and grant some combat maneuver options? I'm not sure, but the lack of flexibility kind of hurts this class.
Huffing and Puffing must be included. There is no alternative.
Some more maneuverability would be appreciated. I'd like flight, but that's not very wolf-like. Perhaps big badass jumps, or short range "I move so fast you can't even see me" close-range teleportation.
The acronym for Big Badass Wolf is BBW. Pls no.

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 08:15 PM
Big Badass Wolf: Great concept.

Thanks, glad you think so.

AC needs to start and end higher. You are a frontline fighter, +4 AC is basically the minimum you need to not get squished at lvl 1.

I'll give them some armor proficiencies.

Resilient hide is weak. Players will just end up wearing cloaks of resistance anyways.

It's there because it was in Monster of Legend, which provided the basis for most of the abilities. Also, it stacks with cloak, so...

Impenetrable Hide and Won't Stay Down are pretty much better than all the other special abilities.

Not that it helps the point, but those are the abilities I'd have handed it anyway if it was straight Monster of Legend. In any case, any ideas for how to improve the other abilities?

Does Ancestral Weapon make them radiate good? That seems a bit weird.

Point. I'm just gonna write the text into the ability instead of handing a bonus feat. It was like that because of laziness.

Leadership is very strong, now you can throw minions with varied skills at everything. Perhaps an alternative, at least for those squeamish about wielding a hundred wolves?

Wolf summoning is weak, especially since you already have leadership minions.

Might combine the two, to make you able to summon a part of the wolf pack, and have them run around alone otherwise.

Beast in Every Forest is not an exciting ability, and even weaker because the wolf can't see the things going on.

Well that actually makes sense, since it was written and not completely fleshed out. I was not sure how to make it work, maybe something less tethered to a location or something that lets you know what's going on.

Or just replace it. It was one written up as a neat idea because level 17 had nothing to put on it. Might be a high level huffing and puffing ability.

I'd like to see the wolf get bigger.

It does twice. It's just able to get smaller if it wants.

It would look better if you switched the numbers for summoning with leadership so he can have a pack of cohort wolves and then summon an army if need be.

Probably. Something like a trio of half-level wolves in the class, then the summon gets more dice worth of wolves, like vampire summoning.

To give this some more combat options and bump it from T4 to T3, I'd grant big stat boosts in different forms--like change Str bonus to Dex bonus when Medium, and grant some combat maneuver options? I'm not sure, but the lack of flexibility kind of hurts this class.

Possibly. The only forms it has are scaling size bonuses, and

Huffing and Puffing must be included. There is no alternative.

I was thinking that, but I have no idea what it would be...

Some more maneuverability would be appreciated. I'd like flight, but that's not very wolf-like. Perhaps big badass jumps, or short range "I move so fast you can't even see me" close-range teleportation.

Flight was in there originally, but then was cut for not being wolfish. I'm thinking maybe something that gives a huge bonus to jump checks on a cooldown, then lets you do a full length jump in a single round, instead of being limited by your move speed.

Hah hah hah ohgodwhy :smalleek:

toapat
2013-10-23, 08:24 PM
I was thinking that, but I have no idea what it would be...

Breath of disintegrate

Just to Browse
2013-10-23, 08:53 PM
I'll give them some armor proficiencies.That's a fine idea. Alternately, you could not let them wear armor and bump the NatArmor. Both work.

It's there because it was in Monster of Legend, which provided the basis for most of the abilities. Also, it stacks with cloak, so...[quote]Oh look who can't read. I should be ashamed of myself. I thought it was a resistance bonus.

[quote]Not that it helps the point, but those are the abilities I'd have handed it anyway if it was straight Monster of Legend. In any case, any ideas for how to improve the other abilities?Make the DR bigger and harder to overcome (shouldn't be only silver by 12th level). Let crit-boosting stack and improve the range and multiplier more. Allow more resistances at a time, scale them faster, and let a few go to immunities (I'd give them 2 energies at 1xlvl, then 2xlvl, then immunity, and allow it to apply to any energy type so you can have negative energy immune wolves. That sounds awesome and also not overpowering because srsly who uses negative energy attacks). I forgot Too Fast to Follow, actually it's amazing and powerful, but the stacking of partial action + hasted is a bit much even for 18th level, so perhaps you could go pounce -> lightly hasted -> permahaste. Bonus feats.... are probably fine, but you should include a "meet the prerequisites" stipulation and perhaps explicitly allow them to take [Monstrous] feats.

Might combine the two, to make you able to summon a part of the wolf pack, and have them run around alone otherwise.

Well that actually makes sense, since it was written and not completely fleshed out. I was not sure how to make it work, maybe something less tethered to a location or something that lets you know what's going on.

Or just replace it. It was one written up as a neat idea because level 17 had nothing to put on it. Might be a high level huffing and puffing ability.It's pretty cool for a high-level ability. I'd allow the wolf to pick a few places as "home" and automatically get some scry-ish abilities in the area.

It does twice. It's just able to get smaller if it wants.Oh look I can't read again. I thought it just went to large. Also, going to gargantuan would be another wonderful ability at higher levels.

Probably. Something like a trio of half-level wolves in the class, then the summon gets more dice worth of wolves, like vampire summoning.Something like that, though I'd make them lvl - 4 so they don't fall off quite so hard as 1/2-lvl.

Possibly. The only forms it has are scaling size bonuses, andYou appear to have accidentally your sentence there. Also don't feel like that's the One True Way--I'd just like to see the wolf get more flexibility. If he does that with breath CC effects, or summoning mobs, or calling storm magic, it ends up cool by me.

I was thinking that, but I have no idea what it would be...Suggestions:
The big badass wolf can use gust of wind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gustOfWind.htm) as a standard extraordinary action that affects structures.
The big badass wolf can use control air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlAir.htm) as a standard extraordinary action, but only to increase the speed of the wind.
The big badass wolf can create a strong wind as a standard action in a [bigass] cone that lasts 1 round. Each size category larger than medium he is, he may create a wind with 1 category higher strength.
First is probably the best, because it will let you blow undead, constructs, and also buildings down. The other two use weather rules, if you want to use that.

Flight was in there originally, but then was cut for not being wolfish. I'm thinking maybe something that gives a huge bonus to jump checks on a cooldown, then lets you do a full length jump in a single round, instead of being limited by your move speed.How about letting him jump as a full-round action if he runs the round beforehand. It counts as a running jump and gets him a +huge wolfness bonus.

Alternatively, you could write up another breath effect that knocks creatures out of the sky, and just give him a minor jump bonus.

One more thing: You could add not needing to sleep to one of the flavor abilities.

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 09:00 PM
I actually think The Beast in Every Forest would probably be best replaced with this at level 17, or possibly having it as a scaling ability that starts at gust of wind and then eventually becomes a full breath attack. Or something.

I'll Huff and I'll Puff (Su): A 17th level big badass wolf develops a breath weapon borne of its supernatural body and consumption. This breath weapon takes the form of a cone with the following dimensions, based on the current size of the big badass wolf:

{table=head]Size|Cone Length
Medium|30 ft.
Large|40 ft.
Huge|50 ft.
Gargantuan|60 ft.
Colossal|70ft.[/table]

Once a big badass wolf breathes, it can’t use the ability again until 1d4 rounds later. Anything caught in the cone takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per 2 big badass wolf levels from the oppressive winds. In addition, creatures caught in the breath are also affected as if they were exposed to hurricane-force winds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds), and any structures not made of brick, stone, or other equally sturdy materials are destroyed outright (if a structure is only partially in the area, then only the parts inside the area of the breath are affected). The save DC against this breath weapon is 10 + ½ level + Constitution modifier.

gurgleflep
2013-10-23, 09:05 PM
By chance is this going to be a request thread? If it isn't, I'm fine with that. If it is, I have a request or two for awakened critters :smallwink:

Edit:

*snip*

I can't help but laugh at this. That's dirty :smalltongue:

Forrestfire
2013-10-23, 09:07 PM
Possibly. I appear to have forcibly commandeer'd Xerlith's thread. :smallredface:

That's a fine idea. Alternately, you could not let them wear armor and bump the NatArmor. Both work.

Indeed.

Make the DR bigger and harder to overcome (shouldn't be only silver by 12th level). Let crit-boosting stack and improve the range and multiplier more. Allow more resistances at a time, scale them faster, and let a few go to immunities (I'd give them 2 energies at 1xlvl, then 2xlvl, then immunity, and allow it to apply to any energy type so you can have negative energy immune wolves. That sounds awesome and also not overpowering because srsly who uses negative energy attacks). I forgot Too Fast to Follow, actually it's amazing and powerful, but the stacking of partial action + hasted is a bit much even for 18th level, so perhaps you could go pounce -> lightly hasted -> permahaste. Bonus feats.... are probably fine, but you should include a "meet the prerequisites" stipulation and perhaps explicitly allow them to take [Monstrous] feats.

Thanks for the advice.

Good idea, and that will free up level slots for huffing and puffing abilities.

It's pretty cool for a high-level ability. I'd allow the wolf to pick a few places as "home" and automatically get some scry-ish abilities in the area.

Sounds good. I'm probably going to roll it into the Lord of the Hunt ability, and give the option of summoning the wolf's pack with it when it teleports.

Oh look I can't read again. I thought it just went to large. Also, going to gargantuan would be another wonderful ability at higher levels.

Might throw that onto the level 20 ability to go with free action transformations. It's a capstone, after all.

Something like that, though I'd make them lvl - 4 so they don't fall off quite so hard as 1/2-lvl.

That's also a good point.

You appear to have accidentally your sentence there. Also don't feel like that's the One True Way--I'd just like to see the wolf get more flexibility. If he does that with breath CC effects, or summoning mobs, or calling storm magic, it ends up cool by me.

Ohey, so I did :smallredface:

I don't know what was even meant to be said there.

Suggestions:
The big badass wolf can use gust of wind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gustOfWind.htm) as a standard extraordinary action that affects structures.
The big badass wolf can use control air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlAir.htm) as a standard extraordinary action, but only to increase the speed of the wind.
The big badass wolf can create a strong wind as a standard action in a [bigass] cone that lasts 1 round. Each size category larger than medium he is, he may create a wind with 1 category higher strength.
First is probably the best, because it will let you blow undead, constructs, and also buildings down. The other two use weather rules, if you want to use that.

Nice ideas.

How about letting him jump as a full-round action if he runs the round beforehand. It counts as a running jump and gets him a +huge wolfness bonus.

Alternatively, you could write up another breath effect that knocks creatures out of the sky, and just give him a minor jump bonus.

That makes much more sense than my other ideas for it.

One more thing: You could add not needing to sleep to one of the flavor abilities.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

EDIT: I reworked the summon/pack abilities and the Lord of the Hunt ability, swapped the names of Alpha Wolf and Master of the Pack to fit better, reworked some of the special ability choices, and added a Huffing and Puffing set of powers.

Just to Browse
2013-10-23, 11:53 PM
Since xerlith's class is finished, effectively, this thread can probably derailed into a wolf thread.

If you have requests, there's a Request for Homebrew thread.

Xerlith
2013-10-26, 01:21 PM
Actually I am fine with this thread going whatever direction it takes, as long as it stays, well, at least a bit on topic. I originally planned it to be a bunch of monster classes I'll be making along the way. Now it seems... A bit messy. We shall see what'll come.

EDIT: Probably a new thread, though.

DracoDei
2013-10-27, 03:48 PM
Breath of disintegrate
Maybe at really high levels. I agree on Gust of Wind, although it should scale to severities of wind at later levels. Extended duration would also be find... should have cool-down rather than a per-day limit I think.