PDA

View Full Version : Www.hamstard.com

charles
2007-01-04, 08:00 AM
http://www.hamstard.com (http://www.hamstard.com/)

OK, felt that this probably needed another thread to discuss the online comic referenced to by ERFWORLD. It appears to be run by someone called "Parson Gotti" AKA "Lord Hamster" and looks like one of those typical "lazy" sort of web comics which is updated once in a blue moon, has almost no variation in the actual pictures and just makes jokes either about it's self (not being updated regularly, etc) or about really crude stuff (such as making love to apple pies).

I LOVE IT!
:smallbiggrin: :smallsmile: :smallcool:

Shikton
2007-01-04, 09:00 AM
Meh, I tried a few strips. Not my cup of tea. Teh boring.

Wallyz
2007-01-04, 11:34 AM
Now, is hamstard.com a real webcomic, or is it an extension of this creative endeavor?

Now, after looking into it, I think Rob and Jamie made it up just for this project. Deeper and deeper we go, into the creative imagination of two guys who are steeped in geekitude.

Om
2007-01-04, 11:45 AM
Now, after looking into it, I think Rob and Jamie made it up just for this project. Deeper and deeper we go, into the creative imagination of two guys who are steeped in geekitude.
You're suggesting that the preparations for Erfworld started in mid 2005?

Personally I think that either there's some connection between the authors or it was randomly selected from the hundreds of tiny webcomics with no audience floating around on the internet.

Edit: I do like it though

Wallyz
2007-01-04, 11:50 AM
Do a google search. There are no archived pages, no wiki pages, and no mentions anywhere else on the internet. The domain name wasn't transfered until 2006, so I think they just back dated all the 2005 stuff.
It looks like Jamie's art and it bears a stunning resemblance to the form of partially clips.
I think it's part of this project.

Rawhide
2007-01-04, 11:55 AM
WHOIS results for hamstard.com

Registrant:
Robert Balder
PartiallyClips
**** ****** **** ****** #***
**********, ** *****
US

Registrar: NameSecure.com
Domain: HAMSTARD.COM
Created on 03-06-2004
Expires on 03-06-2007

Administrative Contact:
Robert Balder
Phone: (***) ***-****
E-mail: ******@partiallyclips.com

Technical Contact:
Namesecure Inc.
Phone: 570-708-8418
E-mail: *******@namesecure.com

Name Servers:
NS1.DREAMHOST.COM 66.33.206.206
NS2.DREAMHOST.COM 66.201.54.66
NS3.DREAMHOST.COM 66.33.216.216

Wallyz
2007-01-04, 11:57 AM
Bingo.
Thanks, Rawhide.

Rob may want his address obscured.

TinSoldier
2007-01-04, 11:59 AM
Plus since I just botched my registration for the forum there and I emailed the administrator, the address is at erfworld.com.

MinusInnocence
2007-01-04, 12:05 PM
This is kind of like one of those alternate reality games I've been reading about... I wonder if material will be released concurrently on both sites and potentially other parts of the Internet, or beyond.

erewhon
2007-01-04, 12:06 PM
Hrrrrm. I think I am officially impressed. :D

Bingo.
Thanks, Rawhide.

Rob may want his address obscured.

Om
2007-01-04, 12:07 PM
WHOIS? What an age we live in.

Rawhide
2007-01-04, 12:19 PM
Here is another clue (http://www.hamstard.com/?strip_id=20).

Xaspian
2007-01-04, 02:13 PM
These discoveries made me laugh just as much as any of the comics did.

I know that I, and probably others, really appreciate these little, well, Big touches that you manage to pull off. Well Done! My appreciation for Erfworld just went up again.

RobertFisher
2007-01-04, 05:15 PM
Rob's contribution to a webcomic hurricane relief effort (http://www.webcomictelethon.com/d/1287.html)

TinSoldier
2007-01-04, 05:17 PM
Rob's contribution to a webcomic hurricane relief effort (http://www.webcomictelethon.com/d/1287.html)Heh. That's sweet!

ZekeArgo
2007-01-04, 05:31 PM
A minor plot point perhaps further down in the news posts:

I play Warhammer and some other miniatures systems, and I am developing my own game. And I like some older PC fantasy strategy games like Warlords IV and Civ II, and some RTS like AoE. Board games, too. Anything strategy and fantasy, I like. I don't play any mmorpgs tho. Too repetetive, not enough strategy.An interesting turn, to say the least

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-04, 07:36 PM
Hmm. Nice stuff, Jamie and Rob. Good to see this kind of effort going into a comic's backstory. Kind of like another comic I read where the author wrote up a livejournal account for one of his characters. Although I think that was mostly so he could screencap it and use it for a one-panel joke.

The sad thing is, this fake comic is better than about 80% of actual webcomics.

headwarpage
2007-01-04, 08:27 PM
I have to say, I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed with the comic until this. This more than makes up for it, though. I'm a huge believer in wasting inordinate amounts of effort on relatively pointless things.

The irony of posting that on what is essentially a D&D forum struck me while I was writing it.

TinSoldier
2007-01-04, 09:04 PM
The sad thing is, this fake comic is better than about 80% of actual webcomics.Quoted for truth!

TinSoldier
2007-01-04, 09:07 PM
Oh, and I find it interesting how the voting on hamstard.com has moved its ranking above many other webcomics that have been around for a lot longer...

Make sure to vote for hamstard! I know I will be.

Kjata
2007-01-04, 10:05 PM
Oh jesus... Hamstard rules. You made my day.

But hey. **** you anyway.

Minchandre
2007-01-04, 11:07 PM
This reminds me of MartianBuddy from Doom 3 (which is a good thing)

chionophile
2007-01-04, 11:44 PM
Did anyone else try to register for the forums? I got an automatic e-mail, but it says it needs to be validated by an Admin. I feel kind of silly registering for forums on a "fake" webcomic.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-04, 11:50 PM
A minor plot point perhaps further down in the news posts:

An interesting turn, to say the least

Even more interesting is the comment below that saying he's developing his own game.

Who better to be the perfect warlord than the person who created it...?

(...okay, maybe not, since it's been stated that it's an imported, poorly translated japanese video game or something, but still.)

TinSoldier
2007-01-05, 12:27 AM
Did anyone else try to register for the forums? I got an automatic e-mail, but it says it needs to be validated by an Admin. I feel kind of silly registering for forums on a "fake" webcomic.Yeah but I messed up my email and emailed the admin. I haven't got a response yet.

But there don't seem to be any forums other than the News.

I saw your name in the New Users list, however :smallbiggrin: .

mikeejimbo
2007-01-05, 12:53 AM
This is kind of like one of those alternate reality games I've been reading about...

You know, that's kind of what I was thinking too. This should be interesting.

charles
2007-01-05, 08:44 AM
DAMN! I should have looked back here to the very thread I started before posting to the ERF14 thread that I thought "Hamstard" was a creation just for ERFWORLD.

Sure enough, if you click on "lord Hamster" and select to "find all posts by lord hamster" it shows all the dates for those posts as old as 2005 to date only as far back as January 3rd.

This is just sparking up a whole bloody hunting and investigation party to find all this stuff!

charles
2007-01-05, 08:53 AM
Actually if I look at the member list I see 10 people before myself and 8 of them appear to have joined as far back as 11th march 2006

Odd. but they also show as having some posts in the forums, yet clicking the "find all posts by XXX" shows nothing for any of them. Must have been cleared out or something.

Xaspian
2007-01-05, 09:18 AM
How long do you think before there's another Hamstard 'update', if there ever is one?

Hart av Srednak
2007-01-05, 10:26 AM
How long do you think before there's another Hamstard 'update', if there ever is one?

Mister Gotti has been summoned to Erfworld sometime after last comic so I suposse that there won't be another comic. There is (very very very) small change that he'll return and continue writing Hamstard after that.. but would return to normality after a trip to serious but ridiculous world of fantasy?

Reed
2007-01-05, 12:55 PM
This really is cool. And looking at the strip now, the poster in the background of the first three panels actually gives a good hint that the comic is custom made. :smallbiggrin:

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-05, 01:06 PM
Invented just for Erfworld. That is Awesome.

charles
2007-01-05, 06:27 PM
HAHA! he has a link banner for HAMSTARD!

Check out the Buzzcomix:
http://www.buzzcomix.net/index.php?info=Lord%20Hamster

I just HAD to leave a review.

No sample comic in TWC yet but I'm hopeful
http://topwebcomics.com/sample/5702/default.aspx

Mr Wizard
2007-01-08, 12:39 AM
Concern for the fourth wall, resisting cliches, use of beat panels, and repeating punchlines. And using a single, unchanging picture. (http://www.hamstard.com/?strip_id=12)

Honestly, I am ashamed I had to see this thread before I realized Rob Balder made it.:smallbiggrin:

I thought he was introducing the third contributor or something. :smallmad:

AngryGreek
2007-01-08, 09:23 AM
I'm so sad at the thought that being a fabrication for Erfworld, Hamstard may not be continued. I found it far funnier (and more entertaining, I thought I would throw that in for the masses who will no doubt want to inform me that Erfworld is not supposed to be funny) than Erfworld, and many other webcomics for that matter.

Where's my hamstard t-shirt! He's the perfect pet for an Angry Greek!!

pclips
2007-01-08, 01:42 PM
I'm so sad at the thought that being a fabrication for Erfworld, Hamstard may not be continued. I found it far funnier (and more entertaining, I thought I would throw that in for the masses who will no doubt want to inform me that Erfworld is not supposed to be funny) than Erfworld, and many other webcomics for that matter.

There it is! Sheesh I was waiting days for someone to say Hamstard was better than Erfworld. A.G., you did not disappoint.

Where's my hamstard t-shirt! He's the perfect pet for an Angry Greek!!

Clearly you've now elucidated exactly how I, as writer, failed you, as reader. Until Hamstard the Bastard Hamster, I had not presented a character you could meaningfully identify with.

Shirts were meant to be available at launch. They'll be up before tomorrow's update (and you'll see why). And I do mean Erfworld update, A.G. Sorry!

Maurog
2007-01-08, 04:51 PM
Hamstard got my vote.

charles
2007-01-09, 03:41 AM
HAMSTARD STORE IS OPEN

http://www.cafepress.com/hamstard/

Isn't a fat bl00dy hamster exactly what you want to see upon the G-String of your Girlfriend?

But I think we need the last panel of this on a coffee mug
http://hamstard.com/?strip_id=24

The_Old_Fox
2007-01-09, 10:55 PM
That was brilliant.

Like creepy creepy brilliant.

I give my salute!

damn this strip rules, and you can quote me on that.

Fenix
2007-01-10, 02:33 AM
Who wants some? :D
http://www.cafepress.com/hamstard.99484015

Vaynor
2007-01-10, 02:46 AM
That "Hamstard" comic has an ingenious way of re-using the same panel every freakin' time.

Om
2007-01-10, 07:37 AM
Who wants some? :D
http://www.cafepress.com/hamstard.99484015
As modelled by Parson Gotti!

*Shudders*

charles
2007-01-10, 08:49 AM
I've noticed they still have the forum locked on www.hamstard.com (http://www.hamstard.com) but I've also noticed some older members in the members list.

I wonder if they're hoping to put up some fake conversation posts for us to read as part of the erfworld story, or if they simply hope to open it up and allow conversation.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-11, 12:56 AM
Um, given #15, I would like to revisit my earlier comment and strike the part where I said it's not too likely...:smalleek:

Xaspian
2007-01-12, 10:44 AM
Hamstard - The world's only rodent piedophile?

Sir_Faust
2007-01-12, 11:12 AM
Lol, piedophile. XD
p.s. the accounts((mine has)) has been activated...but nowhere to post...

TheFool76
2007-01-12, 11:43 AM
Yea, I just went and activated all the pending ones.
(At least I think I got them all anyway)

And you are correct, there is currently no place to post on the forums.

hyikim
2007-01-12, 09:48 PM
I feel so stupid.

I also thought the comic was real, but don't you see? it is all a part of the comic, erfworld, the creator tried to make it more believable or interesting.

Hamstard is drawn by one person and written by another! HOW COULD WE BE FOOLED SO EASILY!?!?!!??

i mean come on, any of us could make the words for a sitting retarded hamster in like 3 min, not 2 or 3 years.

JonathanC
2007-01-13, 01:29 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't like Hamstard as a comic? It doesn't seem funny at all.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-13, 03:16 AM
And yet, that's why it's funny. Kinda of like the Orly? birds within Erfworld itself: it's so painfully unfunny that we can laugh at it.

And it's still better than the comics it's mocking.

Maurog
2007-01-13, 09:26 AM
I think it's too meta to be evaluated by normal comic standards.

Flabbicus
2007-01-13, 09:34 AM
I feel so stupid.

I also thought the comic was real, but don't you see? it is all a part of the comic, erfworld, the creator tried to make it more believable or interesting.

Hamstard is drawn by one person and written by another! HOW COULD WE BE FOOLED SO EASILY!?!?!!??

i mean come on, any of us could make the words for a sitting retarded hamster in like 3 min, not 2 or 3 years.

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious it was a fake after examining the forums. Especially after pclips said it was.

AngryGreek
2007-01-13, 10:32 AM
There it is! Sheesh I was waiting days for someone to say Hamstard was better than Erfworld. A.G., you did not disappoint.

Clearly you've now elucidated exactly how I, as writer, failed you, as reader. Until Hamstard the Bastard Hamster, I had not presented a character you could meaningfully identify with.

Shirts were meant to be available at launch. They'll be up before tomorrow's update (and you'll see why). And I do mean Erfworld update, A.G. Sorry!

I'll likely get crucified for this (oops, please, please tell me that saying that word is notn a precursor to discussing world religion. Please?) but I find Hamstard to be one of the best online webcomics I have ever come across. Ready for this everyone? I even find it far more amusing than OOTS. Yup, it's true.

Rob may have a point. It could be that I've finally found a protagonist that I can truly identify with. Going to order my shirt now.

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm a giant suck up, despite being more interested in Erfworld, it still has a long way to go before it's on my list of favourites.

Green Bean
2007-01-13, 11:01 AM
tons of effort for single panel of activity = instant win

dan4ster
2007-01-13, 12:38 PM
Yeah...The only reason I read it is because it was referenced by Erfworld.
However, I can feel for the guy...I did a lazy webocimc too. actuall, not so much lazy as quitting after 4 strips, but still. It was called Stickman and it was hosted in Smack Jeeves. I'm too lazy to post a link