PDA

View Full Version : Marauders & Marines [A One Piece Tabletop RPG]

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 07:26 PM
Okay, let me start off with saying that I know there is a One Piece system already, and I've read it and have a copy of the PDF for OPd20. However, I feel like the system as it stands is a bit too rigid in the ways of actually building the One Piece characters. Therefore, I took it upon myself to design a system that would allow the characters of One Piece to be more accurately represented.

Now I don't plan on this being any easy thing, as anything worth looking at usually isn't. My initial plan was to simply create classes and a few new mechanics to add to D&D 3.5. However, as I went in making the first class, more ideas kept flowing into my head at what I needed to address, so I had to make a list.

THE LIST

Setting: The World of One Piece (For now called Ediseas, from a fanfic), a low-magic, high-tech setting, with the inclusion of Devil fruits, the at the moment only source of magic in the world, though the Dials of Sky Islands are something to consider, as well as the use of Haki.

Classes: Since any crew will be sailing the seas at some point, there will either have to be a system that separates a crew position and the character's ability to fight, or a system that combines the two, since a lot of crew members professions don't actually coincide with the ability to fight. Also, classes need to be flexible enough to allow for a character to be the same as another character, but retain their own fighting style even if they have the same class.

Weapons: There are custom weapons like Usopp's slingshot, Nami's Climatact, and the further upgrades to both. There has to be a way to create these items without the use of magic, possibly though feats and classes similar to Artificers from the Ebberon setting.

Devil Fruits: This was actually fairly easy for me to address, which is a template that is applied to the character which advances due to feeding EXP into the "template", creating devil fruit users who can either have few abilities and rely more on their skills, or those who rely too much on their Fruits and are pathetic fighters.

Marines and Pirates as a Campaign: I realized that the only difference between Marines and Pirates is the freedom of exploration versus a steady paycheck and a steady supply of provisions due to being able to freely restock anywhere. Both sides can fight Marines, Pirates, and other organizations, but the Marines have to respond to higher-ups, but also get a steady paycheck, unless they decide to go Pirate.

I actually did create a few good ideas though looking at the OPd20 system and other systems. However, I have come into a stall due to working on the system myself and a lack of focus. If anyone would like to see my work thus far or help develop the system, I'd be grateful.

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:47 PM
Reserved For Martial Artist Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:48 PM
Reserved for Cook Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:49 PM
Reserved for Swordsman Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:51 PM
Reserved for World-Specific Rogue Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:53 PM
Reserved for Marksman Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:57 PM
Reserved for Doctor Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:58 PM
Reserved for World-Adjusted Artificer Class.

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 08:59 PM
Reserved For Entertainer Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 09:00 PM
Reserved for Knight Class

SoraWolf7
2013-10-28, 09:02 PM
Reserved for Devil Fruit Template

DedWards
2013-10-29, 01:02 AM
Now I don't plan on this being any easy thing, as anything worth looking at usually isn't. My initial plan was to simply create classes and a few new mechanics to add to D&D 3.5. However, as I went in making the first class, more ideas kept flowing into my head at what I needed to address, so I had to make a list.

Personally I think DnD is too rigid of a system to use as a base for a One Piece system. The abilities of One Piece characters (especially Devil Fruit users) are too diverse for a rigid system like DnD. I'd rather look at systems like Mutants and Masterminds as they allow for more customisation.

Grinner
2013-10-29, 07:29 AM
I have to agree with DedWard. Before you get too far into this, ask yourself why you are using the d20 system. The tactical and downright pedantic nature of the system makes it a poor match for anything shonen.

There's actually a system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289778) designed for shonen on these boards. If you want to expand it for One Piece, there's no harm in asking Elricaltovilla for permission.

SoraWolf7
2013-10-30, 07:34 PM
Okay, I think I see where you guys are coming from. You're right, the leveling and combat system in D&D is very rigid, and a shonen anime like One Piece needs more flexibility in character creation and battle.