PDA

View Full Version : Tree Hugger PrC?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-06, 01:10 PM
Amongst all the books out there does anyone know of a class designed around plants, some druidic thing?

Growing plants, maybe becoming a tree, things of that sort?

(and to forestall future suggestions, no, not speaking of a template in general or the Woodling specifically)

Khantalas
2007-01-06, 01:11 PM
The Verdant... something something.

It's in Masters of the Wild, and very 3.0.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-06, 01:12 PM
The Verdant... something something.

It's in Masters of the Wild, and very 3.0.
Bleh... anything 3.5?

Khantalas
2007-01-06, 01:12 PM
Not that I can remember, no.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-06, 01:18 PM
Not that I can remember, no.
Hrmmm, well, just looked it up and that is pretty close to what I'm looking for... they've updated most of those PrC's to 3.5, why not the Verdant...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-06, 02:40 PM
Hrmmm, well, just looked it up and that is pretty close to what I'm looking for... they've updated most of those PrC's to 3.5, why not the Verdant...

Hey, they didn't update Weapon Master either...

They updated some things twice too. There's the updated Tempest in Complete Adventurerer that's five levels and a 3.5 epic progression for one with 10 levels.

Skyserpent
2007-01-06, 04:23 PM
Hey, they didn't update Weapon Master either...

They updated some things twice too. There's the updated Tempest in Complete Adventurerer that's five levels and a 3.5 epic progression for one with 10 levels.

I think the "Kensai" is the new Weapon Master...

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-06, 04:27 PM
The Landforged Walker, from Secrets of Xen'drik. It's Eberron-specific, though.

Dhavaer
2007-01-06, 04:48 PM
The 3.0 class is the Verdant Lord. You turn into a tree, I think.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-06, 04:57 PM
A plant anyways. Whats up is I'm planning on joining an eberron campaign and playing a warforged druid, built from the wood of a downed treant. The spirit of the ent still resides within the wooden fellow and its trying to become what it once was before its 'transformation'. It basically thinks of itself as you would to be killed and then one day wake up a skeleton.

Didn't know what it used to be except that while working in its master's orchards it came across a treant who recognized a mark of the 'tribe' on the warforged that used to be upon one of its brethren. Ever since it has begun to have snatches of memory of its former life.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-06, 05:00 PM
Landforged Walker sounds like pretty much the thing for you, then, Trib.

The Demented One
2007-01-08, 09:54 PM
Yeah, Landforged Walkers basically symbiotically bond with plants.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-08, 10:08 PM
Hrmmm, wish I had the book... though it'd not be worth buying the whole thing for that little bit (I rarely do much with Eberron if anything).

Darrin
2007-01-09, 08:47 AM
I think the "Kensai" is the new Weapon Master...

Actually, according to the WotC website, the "Exotic Weapon Master" is the new version of the Weapon Master (the same fate shared by the Master of Chains).

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

The increased crit abilities were worked into the 3.5 Psychic Weapon Master, so if you're looking for the "flavor" of the original, start there.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d

The new Kensai blows. The previous one published in Dragon #310 was better as a fighter variant (full BAB), but horribly broken.

Verdant Lord, the Druid PrC for "getting your plant thang on", hasn't been updated for 3.5. If you want to turn into a plant, then you'll probably want to look at Master of Many Forms (CAdv).

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-09, 08:56 AM
There was a 2nd ed (I think) ranger variant that let you turn into a plant eventually it was really cool and sounds like it would fit your idea if adapted unfortunately its not 3.5 and I don't remember the source.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-09, 11:22 AM
If you want to turn into a plant, then you'll probably want to look at Master of Many Forms (CAdv).
Err, why? You can shapeshift into a plant just as quickly by taking straight druid levels.

Telonius
2007-01-09, 03:05 PM
There's a PrC called "Branch Dancer" that gives you some bonuses when you're near trees. Source I have shows it as DR 310 p.70.

EDIT: Eldeen Ranger (Wardens of the Woods) from Eberron might be a good flavor fit. You'd have to have at least one level in Ranger to do it, though.

Allandaros
2007-01-09, 03:12 PM
There was a 2nd ed (I think) ranger variant that let you turn into a plant eventually it was really cool and sounds like it would fit your idea if adapted unfortunately its not 3.5 and I don't remember the source.

This was the...Greenwood Ranger, I think. In the Complete Book of Rangers (appropriately enough). You got to grow a third arm.

I was not a fan, but that's more to the fact that I didn't want my awesome ranger character to become a boring plant.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-09, 03:21 PM
This was the...Greenwood Ranger, I think. In the Complete Book of Rangers (appropriately enough). You got to grow a third arm.

I was not a fan, but that's more to the fact that I didn't want my awesome ranger character to become a boring plant.

Now that you reminded me it was kind of weird.

Matthew
2007-01-10, 09:49 AM
The Ranger Kits were generally not very good. Greenwood Ranger was amongst the oddest.

Everyman
2007-01-11, 12:57 AM
Out of Complete Divine (??), there is the Geomancer PrC. If you pick drifts that are plant-ish and keep selecting forest and perhaps plains leylines, you might achieve what you're looking for. Of course, this would be a theurge build of sorts, but I still like the flavor of the class. Druid 3/Sorc 4/Geomancer X just sounds fun to me.

Build your armor out of darkwood and you're set!:smallbiggrin:

Thrawn183
2007-01-11, 11:48 PM
Well, the antithesis of what you want would be the blighter: destroys all plants that it can find. You might be able to suggest it to your DM as a good bad guy or something you'd encounter occaisionally.

(Figure if you've got good ideas for the class you're looking for, why not help you out with something ancillary to it?)

the_tick_rules
2007-01-12, 12:29 PM
i dunno if geomancer is 3.5. basically you get animal/plant parts that give you bonuses. or polymorph into a dryad.

Hyfigh
2007-01-12, 01:16 PM
Forest Master is from Faiths and Pantheons. It wasn't updated to 3.5 and all the rules still mesh fine. It's almost exactly what you're looking for but it's requirements are crappy.

Ramza00
2007-01-12, 01:43 PM
Forest Master is from Faiths and Pantheons. It wasn't updated to 3.5 and all the rules still mesh fine. It's almost exactly what you're looking for but it's requirements are crappy.

I second this prc. Note though you are going to have to do some changes in updating to 3.5. One of the abilities it gives is "mighty cleave", replace that with "great cleave" (mighty cleave only allowed 1 extra time, but balance wise it doesn't really matter).

The real problem (though its easily fixed), is that it requires multiple spells. One of the spells "control plants" used to be a Druid 4, Animal 4, Ranger 3 spell, now its a "Druid 8/Animal 8" (no ranger spell) in 3.5. Second Forest master required Wilderness Lore of 13 and Skill focus wilderness lore, this skill was dropped in the update to 3.5. Finally it requires 4 ranks of inuit direction another skill removed in 3.5 update. The PRC couldn't be taken until 11th lvl under 3.0 rules.

The simple solution is just

remove the skill focus wilderness lore, do not replace with anything (you already need alertness, endurance, and power attack and that is enough for feats.) If you must replace something replace with skill focus nature.
remove intiut direction skill requirements,
remove wilderness lore skill requirements,
remove control plants, replace with command plants for spell knowledge
bump up the knowledge nature to 13 skill points forcing rangers, druids, and plant domain clerics to be lvl 11 before you can take it.

Ramza00
2007-01-12, 01:47 PM
i dunno if geomancer is 3.5. basically you get animal/plant parts that give you bonuses. or polymorph into a dryad.
It has been updated in complete divine. Identical if I recall though there may be some slight differences on what drifts you have avaliable.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 02:30 PM
I second this prc. Note though you are going to have to do some changes in updating to 3.5. One of the abilities it gives is "mighty cleave", replace that with "great cleave" (mighty cleave only allowed 1 extra time, but balance wise it doesn't really matter).

The real problem (though its easily fixed), is that it requires multiple spells. One of the spells "control plants" used to be a Druid 4, Animal 4, Ranger 3 spell, now its a "Druid 8/Animal 8" (no ranger spell) in 3.5. Second Forest master required Wilderness Lore of 13 and Skill focus wilderness lore, this skill was dropped in the update to 3.5. Finally it requires 4 ranks of inuit direction another skill removed in 3.5 update. The PRC couldn't be taken until 11th lvl under 3.0 rules.

The simple solution is just

remove the skill focus wilderness lore, do not replace with anything (you already need alertness, endurance, and power attack and that is enough for feats.) If you must replace something replace with skill focus nature.
remove intiut direction skill requirements,
remove wilderness lore skill requirements,
remove control plants, replace with command plants for spell knowledge
bump up the knowledge nature to 13 skill points forcing rangers, druids, and plant domain clerics to be lvl 11 before you can take it.

The more accurate solution is to remove the Wilderness Lore req and replace it with the Wild Empathy class ability. Replace Intuit Direction with Survival. Replace Control Plants with Command Plants.

McDeath
2007-01-12, 06:05 PM
If you make a Tree-Hugger class, restrict it to elves. :smallsmile:

Jewish_Joke
2007-01-13, 03:50 AM
I think its ironic that people treat 3.0 classes as worthless. The Verdant Lord is easily converted by dropping and/or renaming a few skills. That's really all. I'd go with that.

Ramza00
2007-01-13, 04:27 AM
The more accurate solution is to remove the Wilderness Lore req and replace it with the Wild Empathy class ability. Replace Intuit Direction with Survival. Replace Control Plants with Command Plants.
Clerics with the plant domain don't have wild empathy, clerics with the plant domain don't have survival. I am trying to maintain the same entry lvl with the same classes that could enter it in 3.0 Even if intuit direction is now survival etc.