PDA

View Full Version : cthulhu

YPU
2007-01-06, 05:00 PM
I am going to run a Call of Cthulhu like campaign, but I will use D20 modern rules. Now, should I allow mage and acolyte class, or should the pc be restrained to shadow hunter and occultist? I think that perhaps I should allow only the most successful of the cultists to be mage’s and acolytes and the rest occultists. The setting is going to be modern and I am going to use a train as the plot device, the original call of cthulhu story will be the first handout. A train will set out and visit or even pick up places or items from the story. The person who wrote it, (cant remember the name right now) will be dead, and the script found. After some bafflement it was dome of as the delusions of an old man. But still a group of old scientists wants to do more research. They were looking for sponsors and only found a wealthy theme park owner prepared. His very generous offer did come with a single restriction. The research would be done on a train he provided and he would be allowed to sell tickets to the train trip. This genius step turned it into a sort of real live theme park ride, the professors reluctantly approved, since they needed the money badly. I am sure of two characters that will be included: a hero devoted to the church, much like Constantine or Von hellsing (the much to action hero like new one that is), soon to be shadow hunter I tink. the other will be a celebrity witch and professor of history of the occult, occultist obviously. The hunter was send there by some extremist group in the Vatican, they don’t like him but they trust him, and he is expandable to them. The witch is a celebrity on the occult and is a TV celebrity who often is asked to explain anything to do with the occult or witchcraft, she was asked to participate in the travel by the theme park owner. Now, what other people could be on the train and would make interesting characters I can advice my players.
And of course, what encounters would be nice, actually any suggestions would be nice.

Thella
2007-01-06, 05:42 PM
It might add some spice to the game to present the mage and acolyte classes, especially if you make them a prestige classes that can only be obtained later in the game after a certain number of levels. As for encouters, I find false leads to sometimes make an adventure more fun, because it sends your PCs into self-invented twist and turns, allowing you to sit back and ejoy the mayhem!

YPU
2007-01-06, 05:48 PM
I thought about that to, but lets say you could take it at lvl 6, wouldn’t that make the spells very ineffective considering you would usually start at lvl 3? The idea npc’s can do something pc’s cant can only dabble in gives a nice touch as well I think.

Matthew
2007-01-09, 04:24 PM
Are you using Cthulhu D20? (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020329x)

MandibleBones
2007-01-09, 10:27 PM
Maybe present the Mage and Acolyte class, but spell use above X level causes sanity loss (Or just for the Acolyte class)?

YPU
2007-01-10, 11:29 AM
Are you using Cthulhu D20? (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020329x)
to be honest i dont like the rules from that book. it takes away a lot of the gaming fun in my opinion by removing real classes. but that articel seems to have sone nice sugestions what to import from it. or perhaps i use the taint rules from arcana.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-10, 12:08 PM
I think Ocultist suits the setting a lot better than Mage or Acolyte. Here's my opinion why:

The Acolyte is a divine caster. If the players have gods on their side that ruins a major element of Lovecraft; that humanity is insignificant and all higher powers are only out for themselves. Divine intervention shouldn't go any further than the Dedicated Hero's Faith talent.

The mage has too much power on demand. If a mage spots and enemy he will stand and blast it. Magic is too easy for the mage and in a Lovecraft inspired campaign magic should be dangerous.

The Occultist is designed to use magic in a campaign where magic is supposed to be rare. The Occultist doesn't get power, he gets knowledge and that's a lot closer to a Lovecraftian character.

I would make all spell casting deal insanity damage but use the normal rules for repeating the same cause of insanity.