PDA

View Full Version : Voltaire/Decemberists

zeratul
2007-01-07, 06:38 PM
Ok i am a huge fan of both Voltaire, and the Decemberists. I was wondering if there were other fans here.

Thes Hunter
2007-01-07, 06:40 PM
A friend of mine has tried to turn me to the Decemberists, and after one song, I am not quite convinced... maybe I need to hear more. =]

As for Voltiare, I quite like his work.

Om
2007-01-07, 06:46 PM
I assume we're not talking about the French philosopher here? :smallwink:

Grey Watcher
2007-01-07, 06:47 PM
Never got into the Decembrits (raw lack of exposure), the few things I've heard have been good.

I need to get deeper into Voltaire. I love Candide, and I need to find more of his work to read. :-)

zeratul
2007-01-07, 06:52 PM
I assume we're not talking about the French philosopher here? :smallwink:

no hes a folk/goth/comic singer sonwriter

Amotis
2007-01-07, 07:30 PM
Yeah, just gaze into RB. It's like fanboy/girl paradise there.

Both of them are okay. I mean, not mindblowing awesome and they have too much of that "I'm more worried about being hipster then making mind blowing music" for me to be a total fan.

Other then that, both have decent songs and albums. But there are better bands out there who sound just like then...but better.

ZombieRockStar
2007-01-07, 07:31 PM
@^: There's just you...and me...and Ego...okay, so we've pretty much turned that thread into a theme park.

Woo! Decemberists!

Okay, as for Voltaire...I need to listen to more of his stuff.

But I'm a huge Decemberists fan. Colin is a good songwriter. I like the earlier stuff on Her Majesty better than on Picaresque or The Crane Wife, though "The Mariner's Revenge Song" is a pretty awesome song.

Amotis
2007-01-07, 07:35 PM
Well You, ego and I are-...okay no more melding theories.

My favorite Decemberist song is probably...O Velencia, Cocoon, or A Cautionary Tale.

zeratul
2007-01-07, 07:39 PM
My favorite deemberist songs are O valencia and mariners revenge my fav voltaire is vampire club and god thinks

Ethdred
2007-01-07, 07:46 PM
And here was me looking for a discussion about the influence of French enlightenment thought on Russian revolutionary movements

zeratul
2007-01-07, 07:48 PM
And here was me looking for a discussion about the influence of French enlightenment thought on Russian revolutionary movements

lol nice the funny thing is when i started listining to him i didnt know a'boot the philosopher

Amotis
2007-01-07, 07:48 PM
Haha. Yeah...
The Octoberists!

Don Beegles
2007-01-07, 08:18 PM
Honestly, Candide didn't do it for me. I'm a Panglossian sort of optimist, and I couldn't help thinking that it did turn out well in the end. I mean, they may not have what they started out with, but in the end they were safe and sound and happy. Of course, the fact that all of the things they went through do exist is the point, not the fact that they go through them, but still, that they were able to retire to a farm in the end sort of diminishes the meaning in the end. But that's just mean.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 05:37 PM
once again dude although im interested in youre philisophical veiws i was talking about the singer/songwriter

Om
2007-01-08, 05:45 PM
lol nice the funny thing is when i started listining to him i didnt know a'boot the philosopher
Now that is depressing. Probably even more so than a comic goth... which I'm fairly sure is a contradiction in terms.

Don Beegles
2007-01-08, 05:48 PM
Oh, I know Zeratul, but I have to say that, no offense to the singer at all, but the philsopher is more interesting than him. Or any singer for that matter. I was also trying to be funny, but I guess it didn't work.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 05:48 PM
not realy not all goths are depressed all the time its only certain aspects of life that make them sad they can still be funny/comic

zeratul
2007-01-08, 05:49 PM
oh sry misinterprated it Don now it is funny

HempRope
2007-01-08, 06:13 PM
Ah, I like that -- "I misinterpreted it, now it is funny!"

In other news, have the Decemberists ever discussed their name? I mean, Voltaire (whoever this new kid is) obviously knew there was The Voltaire first, but did the Decemberists know about the revolutionaries whose namesake they may or may not be?

zeratul
2007-01-08, 06:15 PM
i duno but voltaire isnt new hes been here since 1994

zeratul
2007-01-08, 06:29 PM
if you havent heard voltaire yet i reccomend goin on youtube and listening to "when youe evil", "vampire club", "god thinks", and "cantina"

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-08, 06:52 PM
I like Voltaire, but when he talks about the "self rightous" I tune out.

I really The Cantina, Zombie Prostitute, and Vampire Club.
I also play Hallo Elskan Min for my girlfriend on our anniversery because that's "our song."
I also sing Anniversery for her on that day.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 06:56 PM
lol cool i understand being offended by god thinks but you have to understand what kind of people its talking about(im a protestant chritian)

Stormcrow
2007-01-08, 07:02 PM
I'm a big decemberists fan mostly the early stuff allthough i do love to cover the Mariner's Revenge and scare the squares. I've never heard Voltaire but i might give it a look now...

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:05 PM
he's verry different from the decemberists it's nice to listen to after a particcullarly depressing decemberists song since he's so funny/gothish

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-08, 07:14 PM
I recently discovered the Decemberists; I like a lot of songs on The Crane Wife, but most of their earlier stuff turns me off.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:22 PM
funny i prefer there older stuff but i am a huge fan of "O Valencia"

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-08, 07:24 PM
Meh. My favorites are Yankee Bayonet, A Perfect Crime, Summersong, and Eli the Barrow Boy (one of the few older ones).

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:43 PM
yeah eli the barrow boy is good realy depressing though

zeratul
2007-01-08, 10:00 PM
anyone have any idea when decemberists next albums gona be out?

Amotis
2007-01-09, 02:27 AM
Ah, I like that -- "I misinterpreted it, now it is funny!"

In other news, have the Decemberists ever discussed their name? I mean, Voltaire (whoever this new kid is) obviously knew there was The Voltaire first, but did the Decemberists know about the revolutionaries whose namesake they may or may not be?

They claim to. But they also to claim they met in a gypsy smoke tent or something...so iono.

Also, Zeratul, you should stop double posting. It's kinda looked down upon here.

zeratul
2007-01-09, 04:11 PM
They claim to. But they also to claim they met in a gypsy smoke tent or something...so iono.

Also, Zeratul, you should stop double posting. It's kinda looked down upon here.
thx i didnt know that. im kind of new to this. thznks for the advice