PDA

View Full Version : Principles of Magic

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-07, 08:56 PM
A small idea a came up with after reading Dominic Deegan.

The principles are prime embodiments of the different aspects of life. They do not apply the descriptor they represent as most would think, however they modify significant qualities of a spell.

I'm not sure whether to make these class abilities for a new PrC, or to make them feats.

Principle of Law: The Principle of Law may only be applied to a spell which deals a die or dice of damage. Only one die is rolled, and the result is applied to the rest of all rolls for that spell.

Principle of Good: The Principle of Good may only be applied to a spell that has an Area of Effect. (Including cones, lines, etc as long as it targets multiple spaces.) The caster of this spell decides who is affected by the spell. (However, effects such as backlash damage, or effects that are necessary for spell completion are still in effect.)

Principle of Chaos: The Principle of Chaos can be applied to any spell with no energy descriptor that deals damage. The spell's damage is changed to a random energy descriptor determined by a 1d6 die roll. (1 is Fire, 2 is Cold, 3 is Lightning, 4 is Acid, 5 is Sonic, and 6 is Force.) In addition, a random effect is applied to the target determined by a d%. (1-33 is Stunned for 1d4 rounds, 34-67 is Paralyzed for 1d2, 68-99 causes the target to view everything as distorted, giving a -1 penalty on all rolls requiring sight, and a 50% chance to miss when attacking, and 100 instantly slays the target if it has less HD than twice the level of the caster.)

Principle of Evil: The Principle of Evil may only be applied to a spell that resists, or negates a form of damage. For every 3 points of damage negated by the spell, the creature that caused the damage is dealt 1 point of damage. This damage is treated as if it has a +2 enchantment when bypassing damage reduction.

Principle of Fire: The Principle of Fire may only be applied to a spell that deals damage. On a successful hit, the spell's magic lingers, and the target continues to receive damage per round for 1d4 rounds. The amount of damage is a die roll of one step lower, and two less die are rolled. (For example, if the spell normally deals 5d6 damage, it will deal 3d4 for 1d4 rounds.) If the number of die is reduced to lower than 1, or the die step is reduced lower than 1d2, the spell deals no extra damage. A reflex save (DC equal to the normal DC of the spell) is allowed to avoid that round's damage, and the rest of the extra damage.

Principle of Cold: The Principle of Cold may be applied to any spell with a non-personal range. The principle freezes the magic, leaving it dormant for either a time determined by the caster (Maximum 1 hour/caster level.) or until someone walks into the area that the spell was cast on. The proximity trigger does not discern between friend or foe.

Principle of Lightning: The Principle of Lightning may only be applied to spells that deal damage and target a single creature. Once damaged, magic rebounds of the target, striking any creature adjacant to it. Struck creatures receive half as much damage as the original target did.

Principle of Acid: The Principle of Acid may only be applied to a spell that deals damage or allows for spell resistance or a save to avoid. If the spell deals damage, it ignores damage reduction, hardness, resistance, or some other effect that would otherwise lower the natural damage. If the spell allows spell resistance, the spell resistance of the creature is counted as if it were -10 its actual value. If a save is required, the DC is increased by 5.

Principle of Sonic: The Principle of Sonic may only be applied to a spell with a range of close or farther. The spell given this Principle ignores any non-magical wall or blockade when determining the spell's effectiveness. However, the caster of this spell must have vision in that area (As if scrying or using Arcane Eye.) or another way to detect and locate creatures to use the spell at its full ability. If not, the caster must succeed at least two of the following: A Concentration Check (DC 18+Spell Level), A Listen Check (Versus a creature's Move Silently Check, still applying the penalty for obstruction.), or have the Blind-Fight Feat

Principle of Force: Yet to be added.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-07, 09:30 PM
If you're planning on making these basic applications that give the shown effects at an increase of spell level (kind of like metamagic feats), then Principle of Chaos seriously needs to get rid of the save-or-die. One crit miss and it's all over for the BBEG thanks to a Chaotic Magic Missile from a fifth-level party member.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-01-07, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I'd seriously cut down on the HD limit to die from Chaos. Probably cut it to only kill creatures with lower HD than caster level (easier than damage dice), and allow a Fortitude save against the spell's DC.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-08, 08:33 AM
I changed chaos into a d%, giving the death a 1% chance.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-08, 09:31 AM
I rather like the idea in general. That makes magic more customizable, which it seems to me it should be, flavor-wise at least.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-08, 02:58 PM
Thanks.

Added four new principles.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-08, 10:16 PM
Very nice, I like the new additions as well.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-09, 07:06 PM
Once again, thanks. I'm not sure what to do for evil or force though.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-09, 07:11 PM
Perhaps one of them could change a single-target spell into a multiple target spell.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-09, 07:17 PM
Can't. Lightning basically already did that.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-01-09, 07:26 PM
They should be Metamagic feats with various costs.

Some of them already exist, for example, Principle of Good is Sculpt Spell.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-09, 07:29 PM
That's why I thought they should be put into a PrC, in case they already exist. However these do not modify spell level, and are usable limited amounts per day.

Daracaex
2007-01-09, 08:13 PM
I think these would go best as class abilities in a Base class or PrC. I say base class also, because you are implying with the name that they are changing the structure that a spell is built on, focusing on the basics. Isn't this similar to what a warlock does with his eldritch blast? I haven't really taken a good look at the warlock yet, so I don't know, but this seems awfully similar to what I've heard about it.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-09, 09:02 PM
I've only heard about the Warlock. I've never seen any stats.

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-11, 03:53 PM
Added the Principle of Evil.