PDA

View Full Version : Apocalyptica

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 01:37 PM
Are there any fans of this band? I just bought Inquisition Symphony, and I'm enjoying it greatly. Is it just me, or does the beginning of For Whom the Bell Tolls remind anyone else of the Temple of the Ancients from FF7?

For those who don't know, Apocalyptica is a cello quartet who play music music that is... shall we say... different than most cello music. :smalltongue:

Here's one of their most well-known songs.

Linkage (http://youtube.com/watch?v=OGnAzkh9kn0&mode=related&search=)

Amotis
2007-01-08, 01:40 PM
I never liked them. But their videos are funny. Their techniques have something to be desired. But if that's what creams your twinkie...

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 01:43 PM
I had a feeling they were somewhat a subject of derision around here, but I thought I'd try anyway.

CaptainSam
2007-01-08, 02:04 PM
Saw them live when they were supporting Rammstein. Odd, but good. Not really my thing, though. It's impressive to see them wandering around stage carrying and playing cellos.

Lord of the Helms
2007-01-08, 02:35 PM
They're nice, but really more of a novelty act than anything else - Cellos playing Metal is certainly an unorthodox idea, but most of their albums kinda lose my interest after a few listens. I do, however, have to give them credit for the fact that their Metallica covers rock a lot even though most of the original songs bore me beyond death.

I also saw them live at Wacken last year, and they were excellent :)

AmoDman
2007-01-08, 04:01 PM
Their techniques have something to be desired. But if that's what creams your twinkie...

Care to elaborate? Because I think their "techniques" are fine. I like some of the older stuff more than the newer stuff, and I think they could rock out even more, but they are the only ones on their particular...scene...I, personally, think it's ridiculous that the guitar is the be all end all instrument of heavy metal and rock. F' that, I say. Music's very nature is that it is varied and that experimentation can be spectacular. I love rock, but I'd love to see more bands competently use more than the standard, singer, bassist, guitarist, drums (with possibly more guitarists/bassists) combinations.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-08, 08:31 PM
The principle is sound, but the execution is lacking. There are examples of better bands on Wikipedia's Cello Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cello_rock) page.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-08, 08:42 PM
They're nice, but really more of a novelty act than anything else - Cellos playing Metal is certainly an unorthodox idea, but most of their albums kinda lose my interest after a few listens. I do, however, have to give them credit for the fact that their Metallica covers rock a lot even though most of the original songs bore me beyond death.

I also saw them live at Wacken last year, and they were excellent :)

Metallica.... bo... bor.... *sputter*

Clearly sir there is a very fundamental parting of the ways here.

Anyway, this is pretty cool.... first I've ever heard of 'cello rock' and it's very atmospheric and intense.... these guys may just find their way onto the playlist for my upcoming DMing sessions...

Scorpina
2007-01-08, 08:42 PM
I like 'em, but I like Rasputina more.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-08, 10:23 PM
I myself find Metallica boring- after getting into some of the more obscure metal bands, Metallica lost its charm. Not quite as popular, but far better, is Testament.

Amotis
2007-01-09, 02:26 AM
Care to elaborate? Because I think their "techniques" are fine. I like some of the older stuff more than the newer stuff, and I think they could rock out even more, but they are the only ones on their particular...scene...I, personally, think it's ridiculous that the guitar is the be all end all instrument of heavy metal and rock. F' that, I say. Music's very nature is that it is varied and that experimentation can be spectacular. I love rock, but I'd love to see more bands competently use more than the standard, singer, bassist, guitarist, drums (with possibly more guitarists/bassists) combinations.

They're tone is thin, covered up by what seems like string synth backing almost, I know it's the fact that there's more then one, but it seems so plastic. You can see it kinda on that video, but their left hand technique is almost constantly tip playing, which leads to the thin tone and stuff. Also tends to make it sharp. I'm not saying it's because of the odd instrumentation, that's cool with me.

Thes Hunter
2007-01-09, 07:18 PM
The principle is sound, but the execution is lacking. There are examples of better bands on Wikipedia's Cello Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cello_rock) page.

You sir, have just given me some of the new bands I was looking for.

And yes, I like both Apocalyptica and Rasputina.

However, I like Apocalyptica mostly for studying. It's that fast paced, but no vocals thing I look for when I am studying. :smallbiggrin: