PDA

View Full Version : My Paranoid PvP Dungeon Crawl (PF)

The Anarresti
2013-11-07, 11:54 PM
Hey guys! So, recently I had what I like to think of as a stroke of genius :smallbiggrin:. I'm in a ballroom dancing club, and recently I posted this on the facebook page. (in the context of a larger proposal)

We do an old-school-style dungeon crawl- with a twist. At the beginning of the game I will shuffle a deck of cards and deal one card to each player. If it's a black card, you're a normal humanoid who stands for goodness and light. If it's a red card, you're a secret thrall of the boss monster, a cultist who has embraced the dark, maddening power of the otherworld. Complicating factors may come up during the game, but I'm not going to tell you about them.

The post exploded. Now I have seven people signed up to do this dungeon, with experience ranging from a WotC-certified DM to fresh beginner. I'm going to use a random dungeon generator, and I already have some good plans for this, but does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

By the way, the system I am using is Pathfinder.

Arbane
2013-11-08, 12:16 AM
For the first run-through, don't use any red cards. :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2013-11-08, 01:57 AM
For the first run-through, don't use any red cards. :smallbiggrin:

That, or don't use any black cards.

Either way, combine two identical decks with only half the cards from each, have a carefully pre-stacked deck such that you can cut it without disturbing your arrangement, or otherwise make sure it looks like a regular size deck.

The Oni
2013-11-08, 02:56 AM
Better yet, for one playthrough tell everyone they're playing with red cards and black cards but give one player a green card. Tell everyone with the red cards that they win if the party fails, and tell everyone with the black cards that they win if the boss dies, but tell the player with the green card (privately) that they can only win if they reach the boss room, assume their true form using a ritual (becoming a superboss) and eat at least one player from each team.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-09, 10:24 PM
Give one player a dark red card. He/she'll start out claiming to be with the black cards once the red cards betray the black cards, but when the timing is right, betray the black's to the red's.