PDA

View Full Version : A dungeon is you: the Dungeon Soul (3.5 template, PEACH)

qwertyu63
2013-11-09, 09:48 AM
The Dungeon Soul:

Dungeon Souls are individuals who carry a great power, total control over a small part of the multiverse. This is known as their Dungeon.

"Dungeon Soul" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A dungeon soul uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Qualities:
A dungeon soul retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains those described below.

Dungeon (Su):
A Dungeon Soul has control over a small plane, known as his Dungeon. This plane contains 37 25'x25' rooms. While within their Dungeon, the dungeon soul can see any part of the dungeon from any part of the dungeon. The dungeon soul is completely immune to harm while in their dungeon (They can not take damage, suffer any negative conditions, die, or be harmed in any other way).

Gate (Su):
A Dungeon Soul can, thrice per day, open a path into his Dungeon known as his Gate. This takes a full-round action (which provokes attacks of opportunity), during which time the dungeon soul must hold his hand on the wall he is opening the entrance in. Once this time is up, the wall morphs to create a passage leading to the bottom-right most room in the dungeon. If the dungeon soul is inside his dungeon when his gate isn't open, he can open the Gate by pressing his hand into the wall of the bottom-right most room. This is done as normal, but the passage opens into a place of the dungeon souls choice with which the dungeon soul is very familiar (a place where they have been very often and where they feel at home).

This Gate, once created, remains for one year or until closed by the dungeon soul (which he can do as a free action from anywhere, he need not even be on the same plane as his gate). A dungeon soul may only have 1 Gate at a time. While a Gate is open, the Dungeon is treated as being on the same plane where the Gate was opened for all purposes (This has no effect on the dungeon souls's abilities within).

Hand of Fate (Su):
Within their Dungeon, the Dungeon Soul has control over fate. They can force any die rolled within their dungeon to be its maximum, minimum, or mean (round down) value (i.e. on a d20, he can force a 1, a 20 or a 10). Using this ability does not take an action.

Ageless (Ex):
A dungeon soul ceases to age upon becoming a dungeon soul. They do not suffer aging penalties to Con, Str and Dex. They do not gain aging bonuses to Int, Wis or Cha. Any aging penalties/bonuses already in effect when this is applied remain. They do not die of old age.

Rebirth (Ex):
A dungeon soul will, if reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, instantly teleport to the final boss room in his Dungeon and be restored to 1 hit point. He will have to rest for one week for every hit point this ability restored to him, during which time he cannot leave his dungeon. This power does not trigger if the dungeon master is reduced from positive HP to -10 HP in one hit, which results in death as usual.

Skim Knowledge (Ex):
A Dungeon Soul gains XP as others explore their dungeon. For every room that intruders overcome, the dungeon soul gains 10 xp. Empty rooms do not count. To gain this benefit, the dungeon soul must be watching the intruders somehow.

Challenge Rating:
Same as the base creature +1

Level Adjustment:
Same as the base creature +4

Dungeon Setup:
The dungeon soul can, as a free action, assign a room type to a room in the dungeon (empty is a valid choice, as is the type it already is to reset the room). He can do this to any room from anywhere in the dungeon, so long as no one is in the room (the dungeon soul can be in the room they are changing, just no one else).

As a standard action, the dungeon soul can empower or disempower a room in the dungeon. They can only do this if they are in the room being empowered. It must always be possible to reach the back row (excluding the question marks row) without passing through an empowered room, and only 5 rooms can be empowered.

The entry room (the bottom-right most room) may not have any room type set.

The dungeon soul is always aware of what type each room has, along with which rooms are empowered.

The question marks along the left and top are possible locations of the Final Boss room. The dungeon soul can change which of the 12 is the location of the boss room (the location it already is at is a valid choice to reset the room). The other 11 potential rooms don't exist.

Dungeon Play:
When a room of the dungeon is entered, its effects begin as described in that rooms entry. The doors forward (i.e. the doors left and up) close and can't be opened until the room is passed. (If the room is automatically passed, the doors don't close.) If the room is failed, the doors forward seals, and can't be opened until the room is changed or reset by the dungeon soul.

An individual within the dungeon can be counted as an intruder or not at the whim of the dungeon soul (he can change a given visitor's status at any time, which does not take an action). If someone is not an intruder, they may choose not to activate the room.

Map layout:
.??????
?OOOOOO
?OOOOOO
?OOOOOO
?OOOOOO
?OOOOOO
?OOOOOX

Room types:

Black: Fear Trick
When this room is entered, it fills up with a dark smoke that messes with the heads of the victims. Each victim must make a DC 14 Will save. Any that fail the save are shaken for the next 10 minutes (-2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks).

If the room is empowered, the victims must each make 2 saves. If they fail either, they are shaken for the next 10 minutes. If they fail both, they are frightened for 10 minutes instead. This room is automatically passed.

Red: Rage Minion
When this room is entered, a single minion will appear. This minion is a crimson humanoid form with thick armor and a ruby blade. This minion will attack the intruder(s). It's stats are as follows:

Medium True Neutral Construct
Init: +0, 15 HP, AC 14 (T: 10, FF: 14);
Spd: 30 ft., Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +0;
BAB: +2, Atk: +4 longsword (1d8+2);
Sense Motive +4;
Power Attack;
Str 14, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 10.
Strategy: Attack directly, using Power Attack. Will flank if empowered.

If a minion's initiative modifier is greater than or equal to +12, that minion gets a surprise round before the battle begins. If the room is empowered, two minions appear instead. When a minion goes below 0 HP, it dies and it and its objects vanish. If the intruder(s) flee the room before killing the minion(s), the room is failed. The room is passed if the minion(s) are killed.

Orange: Grace Minion
When this room is entered, a single minion will appear. This minion is a orange humanoid form with thin armor and a amber blade. This minion will attack the intruder(s). It's stats are as follows:

Init: +2, 12 HP, AC 14 (T: 12, FF: 12);
Spd: 30 ft., Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +0;
BAB: +1, Atk: +1 shortsword (1d6);
Sense Motive +4, Bluff +4;
Improved Feint (bonus);
Str 10, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 10;
Sneak attack +2d6 (rogue level 3).
Strategy: Attack directly, feinting for sneak attack. Will flank if empowered.

If a minion's initiative modifier is greater than or equal to +12, that minion gets a surprise round before the battle begins. If the room is empowered, two minions appear instead. When a minion goes below 0 HP, it dies and it and its objects vanish. If the intruder(s) flee the room before killing the minion(s), the room is failed. The room is passed if the minion(s) are killed.

Yellow: Treasure Chest
When this room is entered, a lone treasure chest will appear. When opened, the chest contains 6d6 silver pieces and one of the following items at random (hand of fate may not be used to control this):
1: Shortsword
2: Shortbow and 20 arrows
3: Dagger
4: Small wood shield
5: Leather armor
6: Hide armor
7: Alchemist's fire
8: Healing oil (heals 1d8, full-round action to use)
9: 4 days rations
10: Crowbar

If the room is empowered, the silver is doubled and there are 2 random items. This room is automatically passed.

Green: Arrow Trap
When this room is entered, a thin near invisible wire appears running across the floor. This wire is the trigger for an arrow trap. If triggered (by stepping on the wire), the victim that triggered the trap is shot by 2 arrows (Atk +10 ranged [1d6/×3]). The Search/Disable Device DC to find/remove the trap is 20. If the room is empowered, the number of arrows is increased from 2 to 4. This room is automatically passed.

Blue: Puzzle Trick
When this room is entered, a tile puzzle appears in the floor. This puzzle is key to passing the room. A DC 15 Intelligence check will solve the puzzle. This check can be retried once, but a second failure causes failure of the room. If the room is empowered, the room fails on the first failed roll. The room is passed if the check is passed before the room fails.

Purple: Precognition Minion
When this room is entered, a single minion will appear. This minion is a dark humanoid form with flowing robes of purple and a amethyst dagger. This minion will attack the intruder(s). Its stats are as follows:

Init: +0, 10 HP, AC 10 (T: 10, FF: 10);
Spd: 30 ft., Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +4;
BAB: +0, Atk: +0 dagger (1d4);
Concentration +4, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +4;
No feat;
Str 10, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 12;
3/day Burning Hands, CL 5, casting stat Cha (Sp).
1/day Dispel Magic (Counterspell only, cast as immediate action), CL 5, casting stat Cha (Sp).
Strategy: Use up Burning Hands before closing to melee, using the Dispel when useful.

White: Treasure Trap
When this room is entered, a lone treasure chest will appear. When opened, the chest contains a Fire Trap which blasts the victim who opened the chest (1d4+9 fire dmg, Reflex DC 18 half). There is nothing else in the chest. The Search/Disable Device DC to find/remove the trap is 29. If the room is empowered, there is a second Fire Trap (each has its own saving throw) in the chest. This room is automatically passed.

Grey: Strength Trick
When this room is entered, a stone block and a large button appears on the floor. A DC 15 Strength check will move the block onto the button. This check can be retried once, but a second failure causes failure of the room. If the room is empowered, the room fails on the first failed roll. The room is passed if the check is passed before the room fails.

Brown: Utility Room
When this room is entered, a bed, box on a table, a chair and a small wardrobe appear. In the box is one days food (including bread, cheese, dried meat, raisins and chocolate) and enough water for 1 day. The wardrobe contains basic simple clothes. Empowering this room has no effect. This room is automatically passed.

Pink: Bell Trap
When this room is entered, a thin near invisible wire appears running across the floor. This wire is the trigger for an bell trap. If triggered (by stepping on the wire), the bell emits a shrill tone throughout the entire dungeon. The initiative of every minion in the dungeon increases by +3 for one hour, stacking with any other triggered bell trap/social trick. The Search/Disable Device DC to find/remove the trap is 20. If the room is empowered, there are two tones, and initiative bonus increases from +3 to +6. This room is automatically passed.

Beige: Social Trick
When this room is entered, a chair appears with a thin beige humanoid figure seated in it. A short time after they see the intruder(s), the figure will raise the alarm and then vanish. The raised alarm increases the initiative of every minion in the dungeon by +2 for one hour, stacking with any other triggered bell trap/social trick. A DC 15 Diplomacy check will convince them not to raise the alarm. An Bluff check can do the same. The grey figure has a total +6 Sense Motive modifier. After a successful check, the figure vanishes. A failed check results in them raising the alarm and vanishing instantly. If the room is empowered, there are two figures each in their own chair, and the two must be handled separately. This room is automatically passed.

Rainbow: Final Boss Room (This room type can not be chosen for normal rooms.)
When this room is entered, three minions will appear, along with a lone treasure chest. One of the minions (the Boss) is a towering dark grey humanoid form with thick armor and a smoky crystal blade. The other two (the lackeys) are light grey humanoid forms with flowing robes of grey and a clear crystal dagger. These minions will attack the intruder(s). Their stats are as follows:

Boss:
Init: +5, 25 HP, AC 15 (T: 11, FF: 14);
Spd: 30 ft., Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +1;
BAB: +5, Atk: +8 longsword (1d8+3);
Sense Motive +4;
Power Attack, Improved Initiative;
Str 16, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 10.
Strategy: Attack directly, using Power Attack. Flank with the lackeys.

Lackey:
Init: +0, 10 HP, AC 10 (T: 10, FF: 10);
Spd: 30 ft., Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +4;
BAB: +0, Atk: +0 dagger (1d4);
Concentration +4, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +4;
No feat;
Str 10, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 10;
2/day Cure Light Wounds, CL 2 (Sp).
Strategy: Use up Cure Light Wounds on the Boss. Assist the Boss in flanking.

If a minion's initiative modifier is greater than or equal to +12, that minion gets a surprise round before the battle begins. When a minion goes below 0 HP, it dies and it and its objects vanish.

The chest is locked (Open Lock DC 20, break DC 20), and contains the following:
-12d6 gold pieces
-Two of the following items picked at random (hand of fate may not be used to control this):
--1: Shortsword
--2: Shortbow and 20 arrows
--3: Dagger
--4: Small wood shield
--5: Leather armor
--6: Hide armor
--7: Alchemist's fire
--8: Healing oil (heals 1d8, full-round action to use)
--9: 4 days rations
--10: Crowbar
-Arcane Lens (Detect Magic 1/day, CL 3, takes up the eyes slot, value 600 gp)
This room has no passing or failing.

Becoming a Dungeon Soul:
Becoming a Dungeon Soul requires a simple ritual. This ritual requires you to expend 2,500 gp, 100 xp, and 2 hours. After the ritual is complete, the effects of the template are applied instantly.

Ralcos
2013-11-09, 10:41 AM
This is... Interesting, to say the least.
I do like it, though. Well thought out.

qwertyu63
2013-11-09, 10:56 AM
This is... Interesting, to say the least.
I do like it, though. Well thought out.

This is something like my 6th attempt at the idea of a character with a dungeon. The first two were posted on these forums, and can be found in my sig, but they are to date my worst homebrew (also some of my first, so there's that).

Morph Bark
2013-11-09, 11:23 AM
While the mechanics of the dungeon are a bit on the low end and I'd probably use something different, this is a very good start, and I like how the Dungeon Soul is made up itself. The fluff especially, of course, and that I'll certainly use at one point. I even got something perfect for it to use here on GitP even.

Ralcos
2013-11-09, 12:10 PM
This is something like my 6th attempt at the idea of a character with a dungeon. The first two were posted on these forums, and can be found in my sig, but they are to date my worst homebrew (also some of my first, so there's that).

I wasnt saying that the template was bad. It's good homebrew (better than the majority of my homebrew)!
I especially like it for being a lord of a rogue-like dungeon. :smallsmile:

qwertyu63
2013-11-09, 12:27 PM
While the mechanics of the dungeon are a bit on the low end and I'd probably use something different, this is a very good start, and I like how the Dungeon Soul is made up itself. The fluff especially, of course, and that I'll certainly use at one point. I even got something perfect for it to use here on GitP even.

The dungeon isn't really built for high level adventurers. In fact, the balance point was level 1 adventurers (I am planning an expansion that tackles more difficult foes, but that is later).

Also, what is that something? I'm always looking for people using this basic idea.

I wasnt saying that the template was bad. It's good homebrew (better than the majority of my homebrew)!
I especially like it for being a lord of a rogue-like dungeon. :smallsmile:

I knew what you meant, I was just giving some background on the project.

Also, thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2013-11-09, 12:41 PM
Also, what is that something? I'm always looking for people using this basic idea.

It'll be a dungeon with mostly combat, but also quite a bit of thinking work and potentially social encounters. The name alone likely evokes quite an idea: The Tomb of Battle. :smallamused:

NichG
2013-11-09, 04:19 PM
Edit: Reread Rebirth, its not quite as objectionable but it is basically a free contingent planeshift to a place of absolute safety, though at high level play its difficult to 'luck out' and get it to trigger by landing between -9 and 0hp.

Also given the cheap price of the ritual, if it really is 'simple' to perform (e.g. widely known and easily done) I'd imagine that nearly every sentient being that could afford it would get this template, not because of any of the dungeon aspects, but because it basically gives them a rent free, teleportation-accessed demiplane where they can do stuff like force Nat 20s on their own skill checks for crafting/knowledge/whatever, never be harmed, etc within.

qwertyu63
2013-11-09, 04:54 PM
Edit: Reread Rebirth, its not quite as objectionable but it is basically a free contingent planeshift to a place of absolute safety, though at high level play its difficult to 'luck out' and get it to trigger by landing between -9 and 0hp.

Also given the cheap price of the ritual, if it really is 'simple' to perform (e.g. widely known and easily done) I'd imagine that nearly every sentient being that could afford it would get this template, not because of any of the dungeon aspects, but because it basically gives them a rent free, teleportation-accessed demiplane where they can do stuff like force Nat 20s on their own skill checks for crafting/knowledge/whatever, never be harmed, etc within.

I'm not going to comment on your rebirth comments, as I don't have the context of the original comments.

Widely known... no. It is easy to do if you learn how, but that knowledge is not widely spread. The price was rather arbitrary. The more important cost is the LA it drops on you (I could pull that number up if need be).

I must admit, I never thought of using hand of fate on your own skill checks. That said, the idea of living in the thing did come straight to mind (and caused the creation of the Brown room).

Amechra
2013-11-09, 05:06 PM
Hand of Fate needs some sort of limit.

Mainly because otherwise they can just set everyone's attack rolls and saves to natural 1s.

qwertyu63
2013-11-09, 05:09 PM
Hand of Fate needs some sort of limit.

Mainly because otherwise they can just set everyone's attack rolls and saves to natural 1s.

That is the feature working as intended. Within the dungeon, they are very powerful.

NichG
2013-11-09, 05:21 PM
I'm not going to comment on your rebirth comments, as I don't have the context of the original comments.

Widely known... no. It is easy to do if you learn how, but that knowledge is not widely spread. The price was rather arbitrary. The more important cost is the LA it drops on you (I could pull that number up if need be).

I must admit, I never thought of using hand of fate on your own skill checks. That said, the idea of living in the thing did come straight to mind (and caused the creation of the Brown room).

The thing is, LA isn't really a cost to non-adventurers. I'm more bothered by the consequences this thing has one the world than the consequences it has for an adventuring character.

Basically, if someone distributed this ritual, you can now have a society of unaging immortals who are able to become completely untouchable by other forces in the world by retreating to their personal dungeons as they like - not bad for 2500gp and 100xp. Thats a sort of Tippyverse-level degree of changing the way of life in the setting, so its something I'd be very cautious about.

If the thing requires unique components and circumstances and is hard to replicate, then a lot of those problems go away - its not really that big of a deal if the party fighter becomes ageless, can hide in his own soul indefinitely, etc. It's more of an issue if every moderately wealthy merchant or hard-working commoner gets it (or if, e.g., the party fighter sells/provides access to the ritual to people).

AuraTwilight
2013-11-09, 05:40 PM
That is the feature working as intended. Within the dungeon, they are very powerful.

So what keeps the Dungeon Soul from making everything everyone else rolls a nat 1 and giving themselves nothing but nat 20s? Why would anyone ever step into their dungeons if they have no hope of a fair shake whatsoever?

Holy hell, why is something this cheap to acquire literally better than a God's Realm?

qwertyu63
2013-11-09, 06:32 PM
So what keeps the Dungeon Soul from making everything everyone else rolls a nat 1 and giving themselves nothing but nat 20s? Why would anyone ever step into their dungeons if they have no hope of a fair shake whatsoever?

Holy hell, why is something this cheap to acquire literally better than a God's Realm?

If they are using it like that, then there is no reason for anyone to go in, and so no-one would. The question contains its own answer.

The price is arbitrary. I could ratchet it up easily, and with no real issues... The first change to come to mind is to increase it by an order of magnitude. That said, making it more difficult to do could work too, if I could think of a requirement. Or do both of these things.

AuraTwilight
2013-11-09, 09:41 PM
If they are using it like that, then there is no reason for anyone to go in, and so no-one would. The question contains its own answer.

Doesn't change the fact that you gave this template an ability literally superior to something that Greater Deities get. I would atleast make it something that would motivate better, like, It can only be used X+Cha mod times per day, or something.

NichG
2013-11-10, 04:37 AM
Well, I think as long as you accept that anyone who has this template is basically a Greater Deity, thats not really a problem. In some sense its an 'easy' way to let players play deities without having to worry about all the other crap a divine rank gives them that would screw up the game, because it only really works for them in their private demiplane. It'd be easier to DM for a PC who had this template than, say, a PC who had DVR 1 and all of the attendant stuff.

But the rest of the fluff around it should respect that basically anyone with this template is a de-facto deity.

For the ritual, I would say simply that obtaining this template is the result of implanting yourself with a certain minor artifact that basically 'contains' the dungeon. Your invulnerability within the dungeon is a consequence of the usual invulnerability possessed by artifacts - you are effectively something like a lich with an artifact for a phylactery. The 'bypass' is that the artifact itself must be physically contained somewhere within the dungeon soul, and is susceptible to disjunction and the like (though it could not be removed from the dungeon without being destroyed, because it basically is the dungeon).

AuraTwilight
2013-11-10, 05:49 AM
I like NichG's suggestions. My main beef here, despite loving the idea, is that it's dirt-cheap to acquire this template and it basically makes the character safe and unassailable forever.

Rephath
2013-11-10, 09:03 PM
You have an awesome concept here, and some really great ideas. I'm going to try to suggest some problems or solutions, not because it's bad, but because it's good, and I want to see it improved. If you want to build this with someone, I'd be happy to work on it with you.

1) If I own a dungeon, can I keep switching around where the boss room is and the rooms between them, so any time the adventurers get close I move the boss room to a new area and they have to go through all new rooms?

2) Your dungeon options seem a little bland. Maybe you could have secondary options. Like the room can have any 3 of the following 10 pieces of furniture or something.

3) This obviously doesn't scale well at higher level. That could be an issue, and a ton of work to improve.

4) I assume you would build other things in your dungeon, hire monsters, etc...

5) Why would I build a treasure room to help adventurers? Why wouldn't I continually build and reset the room to keep pulling out treasure, and then sell all the treasure, then turn the room hostile when I hear the pitter-patter of adventurer feet?

6) Wait, every single die roll in the dungeon I can set at max, min, or mid?
I'd limit that to a number of uses per day. Otherwise, when the adventurers start winning they roll 1's.

7) The ritual needs another cost to it. Like your soul goes to a terrible afterlife because of the pact you made with the dark gods. Or maybe the ritual becomes less powerful the more people know it. Or maybe there's some rare component needed, that is almost impossible to find. But as a GM you can lay out a quest.

*edit* Brilliant thought! There is a specific artifact that allows you to become a dungeon soul. It is hidden in your boss room. If someone steals it, you die, and they become a dungeon soul. There are only a few of these objects in existence.

8) Why? Why does this spell manifest in this specific way? It seems to have way too many convenient amounts of expediency in it.