PDA

View Full Version : The Broken Path [Variant magic system]

mabriss lethe
2007-01-09, 08:12 PM
The Broken Path: An Alternative Magic system

There are dangers in working outside the rules of magic. But there is great power. Easy power. All it requires is a little less control. A little less finesse, and viola! A raging torrent of magic is at your disposal. All those useless exercises your master taught you were a total waste. Real power comes from giving in to the magic and riding it out. Sounds great right? Too good to be true? You know the saying about things that are too good to be true.

But, oh! That power! Maybe a little risk is worth it. It can't be that dangerous. If things look like they're getting out of hand you can always stop.

The Power...

Congratulations, you've just taken your first steps into temptation, your first steps on the Broken Path.

What is the Broken Path?

The Broken Path is an abomination to most master magicians. It's the easy way out that the less disciplined students find themselves drawn into. It's all the shortcuts and fudges lazy wizards and sorcerers are punished for using. But even after a student sets out on his own, those failed experiments and attendant punishments might sit in the back of his head, waiting to be used. The Broken Path is a place where desperate or power hungry magicians find themselves. It's power at the expense of control. True, the techniques of the broken path yield tremendous returns. Sometimes, though, you get a lot more than you bargained for. Sometimes the magic runs wild. It's unstable. The spells will come out twisted, reshaped in unpredictable ways. Summoned creatures can turn on their masters. Healing spells will leave grotesque scars. Fireballs can detonate late, or even worse, prematurely. Constant and long term use of these forbidden techniques will leave the caster little more than a raving lump of insensate flesh, assuming the power doesn't destroy him outright.

How Does it Work?
The caster invokes the power of the Broken Path by improperly casting a spell, then riding the wave of rogue sorcery released as a result. If the caster can latch onto that excess, some of it can be channeled into specific effects. If the caster loses control, though, the magic will latch onto this world, finding its own form using whatever template is nearest or most convenient to assume, usually the caster himself, in some form or another. The original technique was probably stumbled upon accidentally during a caster's apprenticeship, but once he's learned his art, walking the Broken Path must be a deliberate act. He has to intentionally break the discipline instilled into him. Initiates walking the Broken Path learn to walk on the edge of a blade, trying to gauge just how much power they can safely rechannel. After a while, casters become addicted to the rush of power, the feeling of gambling against the very forces of the universe. It's an adrenaline junkie's dream.

Thoughts on the Broken Path
This is the part I could use some feedback on. I know it sounds a lot like the wild mage of old, but that isn't the flavor I'm looking for. I want this form of magic to be risky and available to anyone foolish or desperate enough to try it. Sure, sometimes beneficial or at least relatively harmless fluff effects will accompany its use. But I want the players to feel like they're playing with fire when they use it, that they're potentially courting their own destruction when they call on this power. It definitely has the flavor of something an arcane caster (especially a spontaneous caster) would use, but I'm not sure I want to limit it to that. There's something appealing to me about a cleric drinking too deep of his god's power in a moment of desperation and things going horribly wrong. There are questions concerning aspects of it as it relates to spontaneous casting vs. prepared casting. I want it to be flexible and tempting for a player to use. If from time to time things seem overpowered, I want to find ways to balance it out by making it extremely dangerous to the caster to use. The Broken Path is all about breaking the rules and then suffering the consequences for it.

The Broken path is meant as a suppliment to the standard d20 magic system and shouldn't have too many bugs left in it.

It's sort of large and ungainly as it stands, so I've put everything behind a spoiler tag to help neaten it up a bit. (yes, I'm learning, I'm slowly learning)
Take a peek and let me know what you think. Most of the hard and fast numbers for DCs and such are by no means set in stone if you think it should be harsher or gentler on the casters, then just let me know.

Basic Mechanics:
Any character with a caster level of 1 and at least one rank in spellcraft or knowledge arcana can fall into the Broken Path. My reasoning: I want it to be accessible to pretty much every caster from the get-go. you won't get the full benefits this way, but it's more to make a chink in the character's armor, setting them up for an even greater fall in the end. A character with only the most basic understanding of the Broken Path can, when casting a spell, declare it to Broken. A Broken spell gains either a bonus of +1 caster level or +2 to the save DC (the player's choice). Ranged touch spells have a -1 penalty to hit, being, at best, clumsily cast endeavors. Now the player has to makes a wisdom check on a d20 versus a DC of {10+(2X spell level)}. (The skill Broken Path Sorcery can be applied here once it is learned.) A failure to meet the DC results in a Flawed spell. Flawed spells are different in some important way to the original. The details are left up to the DM but good examples include randomly changing the spell's energy descriptors, shortening the duration of the spell, strange and lingering side effects like uncomfortable rashes or the temporary growth of fine scales. Feel free to get brutally creative, but don't just drop damage anvils every time. That's what critical failures are for. When a player rolls a natural 1, the Broken spell unravels, blowing up in his face in the form of Backlash. When backlash is incurred, the spell is lost and the character takes some form of damage as rogue mystical energies rebound on him. Some benchmarks could be for the caster to take 1d6 damage per level of the spell cast, or taking a -2 penalty on the character's primary casting attribute per level of spell for 24 hours, Things like that. If you, as a DM come up with something along the vein of a creative curse to have the character labor under, then that works for me, too. It should take the form of some sort of serious smack down. If you decide to incorporate this, I recommend that you refrain from telling your players all the risks involved. Just give them a general idea as to what will happen when they use it. Tell them bad things could happen but don't be too specific. Let them figure the rest out on their own.

New Skill: Broken Path Sorcery (Wis)
Untrained: Yes
Retry: No
Special: Broken Path Sorcery is considered a Cross class skill to every class with spell casting abilities and prohibited to all other classes. It represents the ability to sense and channel unbridled magical energies. A character adds his ranks in this skill to the roll made when casting a spell with the Broken descriptor. Characters gain a +2 synergy bonus if they also have 5 ranks or more of the skill: spellcraft

New Feat: Broken Path Initiate(Broken Path)
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 1st level spells, One rank of Broken Path Sorcery, one rank of either spellcraft or Knowledge: arcana

This character has gained some hard won proficiency with casting Broken Path spells and knows a trick or two about how to avoid getting burned by it.

Benefit:The Skill, Broken Path Sorcery, becomes a class skill, and the character gains an extra 1st level spell as if gained through a high ability score. This spell can only be cast as a Broken spell.

New Feat: Broken Path Adept(Broken Path):
Prerequisites: Caster level 5th+, Broken Path Initiate, 8 ranks of BPS, 5 ranks of either spellcraft or knowledge arcana.

Benefit: The caster has become an adept of the Broken path, and as such, gains a +2 competence bonus to all Broken Path Sorcery Checks. In addition, The bonus given to broken path spells increases to +2 caster level or +4 to save DC, The character gains an additional spell of either 1st or 2nd level as an Initiate does.

New Feat: Broken Path Mastery
Prerequisites: Caster level 10th+, Broken Path Initiate and Adept feats, 12 ranks of BPS, 8 ranks of either spellcraft of Kn: arcana. Must have overcome Spellthirst

Benefit: A master of the Broken Path gains a +4 competence bonus to all Broken Path Sorcery Checks. This replaces the bonus from the Broken Path Adept feat. In addition The bonus to Broken path spells increase to +3 caster level or +6 to save DC. An additional bonus spell can be chosen from levels 1-3 following the same rules as before.

New Feat: Broken Spelltwist (Broken Path/Metamagic)
Prerequisites: Broken Path Initiate, Ability to cast 1st level spells, one rank BPS, one rank spellcraft or Kn: Arcana

Benefit: The character selects three Metamagic feats he already meets the requirements for. He can use the Broken Path to mimic them. Of the three, the player may only select one that has the requirement: "must know 2 other metamagic feats" Unless, of course, the character already possesses two other metamagic feats..then ignore this. Broken metamagic spells don't work in quite the same way as normal metamagic. Broken metamagic is applied the moment a spell is cast, whether that spell be spontaneous or prepared, and takes no real extra time to accomplish. Should it be incorporated when a spell is prepared, the caster must make a broken path sorcery check with a DC of 10(+ the number of hours since it was prepared). The spell is lost when the character fails the roll. Rolling a 1 indicates that 1d4 other spells chosen by the DM are lost as well. Spelltwist takes up a slot of the same level as the original spell, regardless of the spell level the original metamagic feat would call for. However, remember those extra spell levels. For every level the metamagic spell would otherwise occupy, The Broken Path DC increases by 2, as if it actually were taking up a spell slot of the higher level. Broken Path metamagic feats and normal metamagic feats cannot be applied to the same spell. The conflicting energies causes the spell to be lost and deals 1d4 damage to the caster per spell level. (this included the phantom levels applied by Spelltwist)

Spelltwist can be taken multiple times, each time selecting three new metamagic feats to mimic

New Feat: Blood from a Stone (broken path)
Prerequisites: Caster level 1st, One Rank Spellcraft or KN: arcana, one rank BPS, Con 13+, Ability to cast spell spontaneously

This character can, at a cost to his health, cast more spells than he'd usually be able to manage.

Benefit: The caster may take two points of constitution damage per spell level to cast a spell without using up a spell slot. This spell can be of any level known to the character as long as the resulting Con damage wouldn't drop the character's modifier below 0. 0 level spells count as 1/2 of a level for determining constitution damage. The character may cast in this fashion as long as he still retains a positive Con modifier. Once his modifier reaches 0 then he has exhausted this route. As a secondary drawback, Blood from a Stone causes a form of backlash that fills the caster's body with uncontrolled sorceries.This means the character cannot be healed magically until he naturally recovers all of his lost Con points.

New Feat: Shattered Chains (metamagic?/Broken path)
Prerequisites: Broken Path Adept, Broken Path initiate, Caster level 5th+, etc...

I don't know if this one should be considered metamagic or not.

The character can cannibalize existing spells, breaking them down into raw energy that can be directed as a crude, but potentially powerful weapon.

Benefit: Upon the successful attempt of a Broken Path Sorcery check, {DC = 10 plus (2x spell level) +2 },The caster tears the bonds containing his own uncast spells. The resulting blast can be directed in a quarter circle, dealing damage indiscriminately to all legitimate targets within a range of 10 feet (+5 feet per caster level) The damage done is equal to 1d6 X the sacrifices spell's level. The caster takes 1 point of damage per spell level as well. The damage has no energy descriptor. It's just raw, barely controlled power. A failed check resulting in a flawed spell sends the blast into a random direction. or adds some other random effect to the blast. (survivors gaining temporary damage resistance, something like that) A natural 1 detonates the power within the caster's body, causing them to take the full brunt of the damage. This replaces the normal effects of basic broken path sorcery (ie the bonus to caster level or Save DC)

The Pitfalls of the Broken Path:

Flawed spells: When a character fails a Broken Path Sorcery roll he creates a flawed spell. These spells still work, but never accomplishing the expected results. A Flawed spell is completely in the hands of the DM. Here are some suggested flaws. Energy descriptors can be exchanged in any spell that has them. Fireballs could instead to cold or sonic damage. Targets of damage spells could find themselves with a temporary immunity or resistance to some quality associated with or opposed to that magic. Someone hit with a fireball could be granted cold resistance or fire resistance. The DM can feel free to change the target of the spell or to have area spells hit in the wrong place/ direction. Healing spells, while fixing damage, might leave horrific scars or discolored birthmarks behind. Necromantic spells might accidentally raise fallen targets as uncontrollable undead. Summoned creatures might not obey the caster, attack him on sight, etc. A kinder gentler DM might just settle for strange lights accompanying the casting along with peculiar odors or screeching sounds. But that, in my honest and never humble opinion, just isn't all that much fun.

Backlash: When a character rolls a 1 on a BPS check, the spell is lost and the caster suffers backlash. simple backlash can take the form of 1d4 or 1d6 damage to hp per level of the spell attempted. You want it to hurt, potentially a lot, but maybe not kill them outright. Be willing to fudge a little especially early in the game when a first level wizard botches the roll and then gets hit with a 4....dead wizard. Other options could include 2 points of damage to a character's primary spellcasting attribute per spell level. Having some of the Flawed spell effects hit the caster during backlash can lead to interesting twists. You might also drop a curse of some sort on the character for a brief time. Backlash effects shouldn't last more than 24 hours, but if you find a good one that you think should be semipermanent, then go right ahead with it.

Spellthirst: Keep track of every time a caster receives backlash. Mark a little point on your notes or something. These magical energies begin to accumulate in the body. The only way to decrease backlash is to refrain from casting broken path magic. Backlash fades at a rate of one point per month until it's back at 0. Using the broken path at any time starts the clock back to the beginning of the month. As these magical energies slosh around, the caster becomes more and more dependant on them. It becomes an addiction. If at any time, the number of Backlash points exceeds the caster's highest ability modifier, then he acquires the curse of spellthirst. A character under the influence of spellthirst acts as if constantly fatigued unless he voluntarily sacrifices a spell every twenty four hours. A 0 level spell will assuage the spellthirst, but higher level spells give the character a temporary bonus to strength equal to the level of the spell sacrificed. This bonus fades quickly, lasting only 10 minutes (+1min per caster level) A spellthirsting character can sacrifice as many spells as he wishes per day.
The only known way to break a caster of spellthirst is for them to go cold turkey and not use magic of any sort for a month. This includes wearing or carrying magical items. The caster's body needs time to let all that accreted power work its way out. At this point, backlash goes down to one point below spellthirst levels and will decrease as normal following the rules above. Being targeted by magic doesn't have an effect on breaking spellthirst.

Playtesters are welcome, though if you use it, drop me a pm or something and give me a little feedback

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-09, 08:33 PM
This is sooooo cool. From what I have read, it is excellent- and a pathway for DM fiat via flawed spells.

mabriss lethe
2007-01-10, 01:19 AM
That was the idea, to let the players gamble for power but still keep the reigns in the hands of the DM. I also wanted the system to be one big honking adventure hook.

Imagine what would happen if the party's bard began experimenting because he needed an edge to keep up with the other characters. A cleric who, in a panicked moment, preys on his god instead of praying to his god. Would his god reject him outright, or be too afraid to do anything but let the cleric stay close. Who knows what that nutcase might try if the gods cut him off. He might succeed. worse yet, he might fail. I haven't quite worked out the details with a class like warlock, but I think that it might not be opened to them.

An interesting conjecture: Warlocks alread tread a byway that lies close to the broken path, so they gain no benefit from it. that might be the cleanest solution. Minor casters like hexblades would probably be drawn to it like ants to honey. Paladins would probably avoid it, since leeching the power out of a god might just be tantamount to violating their code of conduct. But even then...desperation sums up the theme perfectly. Every character will have a moment of it at some point or another.

Valairn
2007-01-10, 01:58 PM
I like the idea, I'm no qualified to comment on balance in this manner though.

Matthew
2007-01-10, 02:41 PM
A really interesting idea. Not sure about the mechanics, new Skills are often problematic (can you Focus in this?), but otherwise it seems fairly solid.

Weezer
2007-01-10, 02:47 PM
Looks sweet, seems like just the thing for BBEG's to use.
Just imagine...

mabriss lethe
2007-01-10, 04:27 PM
A really interesting idea. Not sure about the mechanics, new Skills are often problematic (can you Focus in this?), but otherwise it seems fairly solid.

To be completely honest, I'm not terribly sure about the mechanics either. Thus the rather blatant invite for playtest and feedback. I've done what I can to smooth the mechanics, but now it needs a proper vetting against a variety of players and DMs.

As a DM, I don't think I wouldn't have any issue with players using it as a skill focus. Sure, it makes the stuff that's already easy a little more of a sure thing, but it also gives the player a false sense of security, setting them up to attempt more and more difficult maneuvers with higher level spells. I haven't had an opportunity to introduce it into a game though. So I could be way off. (I don't think I am, but I have to allow for the possibility). So yeah... If you ever find yourself using it, I'd be much obliged if you at least started out using something close to what I've provided, but feel free to experiment and make alterations as you go and let me know what works and what doesn't. I won't be offended in the slightest.

I've been trying to brew up a couple of broken path item creation feats, but it's a little wiggy right now. The best I have is an ability that works in conjunction with normal item creation. The idea is it reduces gp and exp cost to create an item that the caster already has the creation feat for, but it always turns out damaged in some way, carrying a curse, requiring some sort of jumpstart to activate, something like that. I haven't even come close to working out the bugs, but I'll probably have it done and posted for review soon.

I'd like to eventually work out a percentile table for DM's to use as a guideline for flawed spell and backlash effects. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, by all means. If not I'll add it to the "list of things to do" and get to it eventually.

Daracaex
2007-01-11, 01:25 AM
I tried to do an accidental version of this a while back, with spells randomly coming alive, turning on the caster, targeting more creatures than intended, etc., but it was more of a freak incident thing than a purposefull breaking of the laws of breaking the laws of nature, as V might say. I really like this. If I ever find myself running a game, I'll put this on the list of things to try out.

mabriss lethe
2007-01-11, 09:20 PM
how'd the accidental version work out? Any truly sick and twisted ideas come of it? y'know, the kind of stuff that makes players cringe but still come back begging for more?

Daracaex
2007-01-12, 12:14 AM
I have the link to the wizards thread here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=6839997#post6839997). It didn't get too far, but the main reason of that was that I was not nearly as knowlegeable in D&D as I am now. I'm sure I could come with a bunch of different things that could happen.

Oh, just ignore the D% rolls I assigned things too. You're supposed to get all of the ideas put forth and combine them into one table and roll on that. I'm also not sure if my original system for when it triggered was good either. I have there that every ten spells, your roll a d10 and a roll of 10 means the spell evolves. You could obviously change the die and the amount between each roll also to increase or decrease the frequency this occurs.

I haven't looked at it for a year or two now, so forgive me if some of my ideas are utterly ridiculous. (like the living spell thing. I didn't realize at the time how much work that'd require)

BDO
2007-01-12, 02:24 AM
For my 2 cts., I would take the psionics as a basis, assuming that every caster can only channel so much mystic energy through his body per day. So he pays every spell with CMP (channeled mana points), deciding how powerful it becomes by setting the used points.

I would recommend that only non-lawful characters could use this, because they lack the discipline.

As how spells work: I would give them a min/max power range, which means the caster has to pay a minimum CMP, but cannot exceed a maximun CMP either. The effect of a spell should be directly connected to the CMP.

I will further think about this and post again later...

mabriss lethe
2007-01-12, 02:35 AM
For my 2 cts., I would take the psionics as a basis, assuming that every caster can only channel so much mystic energy through his body per day. So he pays every spell with CMP (channeled mana points), deciding how powerful it becomes by setting the used points.

I would recommend that only non-lawful characters could use this, because they lack the discipline.

As how spells work: I would give them a min/max power range, which means the caster has to pay a minimum CMP, but cannot exceed a maximun CMP either. The effect of a spell should be directly connected to the CMP.

I will further think about this and post again later...

I originally thought about restricting it to non-lawful. I decided against it in the end, though. I guess there's some flavor I need to revamp a little to really push home the concept. It evolved from it's original incarnation to be more about the temptation than the lack of discipline. Sure, nonlawful alignments are far more prone to using it, but I wanted that niggling doubt to worm its way into every character, I wanted the Paladin and the oh-so goody two shoes LG cleric to be seriously tempted to use it in a moment of utter desperation. (along with every other alignment). A single moment of dispair probably won't be enough to rewrite a character's alignment, but it sure as heck is going to be enough to get a lawful character into a world of mundane trouble with comrades, brethren...etc.

BDO
2007-01-12, 02:48 AM
Right. I just thought about making it different from Psionics, so no one could say, "They're just doing Psionics whithout Psi"...

Another option is to randomize the spell cost...

IDEA!

How about putting the spell cost in Dx? Like, a Fireball-equivalent costs 4Dx, where x can be 2,4,6 or 8 and equals damage? And, to emphasize temptation and punishment therefore, if the spell-casting subject exceeds his CMP by accident or willingly, the excess CMP are substracted from HP? (Btw., this damage cannot be healed by magical means and regenerates last...)

mabriss lethe
2007-01-12, 04:28 PM
Right. I just thought about making it different from Psionics, so no one could say, "They're just doing Psionics whithout Psi"...

Another option is to randomize the spell cost...

IDEA!

How about putting the spell cost in Dx? Like, a Fireball-equivalent costs 4Dx, where x can be 2,4,6 or 8 and equals damage? And, to emphasize temptation and punishment therefore, if the spell-casting subject exceeds his CMP by accident or willingly, the excess CMP are substracted from HP? (Btw., this damage cannot be healed by magical means and regenerates last...)

Neat idea.

I say, "Go for it!"

As a personal preference, I'll keep away from mixing psi and magic mechanics for the time being. I am trying to keep the system as simple as possible. By its very nature, It'll require a little more book keeping on a DM's part. But the less a DM has to keep track of, the better. *lets a note of bitter experience hang in the voice* I've seen too many games derailed by bad bookkeeping. Sadly, some of them were mine.

But to go out on a tangent, a broken path variant for psionic characters is a rather groovy idea.....hmmm......yes, actually.

Something about tempting a character towards burnout and self destruction always leaves me grinning.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-01-13, 01:31 PM
I'd actually consider increasing the power of the Broken Path, but restricting it to a narrower focus. I can't see Dominate being cast broken, but I could, for instance, see a broken Fireball, which should probably do extra damage. Likewise, I can't see anything that reduces randomness (such as Maximize Spell) being used with this.

I'd probably also always add a random effect to it when cast, regardless of your check result, just a failed check adds more weird things, and you don't like them, ever.

For instance, a broken fireball might be off-target 10-20% of its range, placed by a d12 roll, but would be empowered, whereas a broken Lightning Bolt would be off-target by a random angle, and also be more powerful. Broken mind-affecting spells might add some mental ability damage (or drain), but have weird things happen to their duration (I can really only see Confusion being cast broken off the top of my head; maybe Holds too, though. For those, +/- 1d6 rounds from their duration, or something).

InaVegt
2007-01-13, 01:37 PM
For a completely fledged out version of this check the Encyclopedea arcane: Chaos magic by Mongoose publishing.

It's an interesting idea, but it's done before and frankly a lot better.

BDO
2007-01-13, 03:44 PM
For a completely fledged out version of this check the Encyclopedea arcane: Chaos magic by Mongoose publishing.

I don't know that particular book, but I know that Mongoose has good stuff. Maybe I'll take a look. But as for the "done before, but a lot better" part: We're in a planning status here, faaaar away from a fleshed out system... Maybe you take a look at it when it's done...?

As for the system...

To sum up my idea for the casting system this far:

Spells are taken from the normal spell list of the respective castin class
The caster has a limited "Channeled Mana Ppoint" count
The casting cost for a spell is partially randomized (The player has the option to change the damage code of a spell, thus also changing the casting cost)
If the caster uses more CMP than the remaining CMP in his pool, he uses HP insteadNow to the ideas of getting a hand on this:

Option one: By chance
Option two: By a pact (either with a demon or with a devil)
Option three: by birth/mutation/coincidence/artifact/bookI will work on this over the next few days...

mabriss lethe
2007-01-18, 01:01 AM
Rise of the semi-zombie thread. I promise I won't do this often. It just seemed a waste to revamp it all and cram it into another thread when I really didn't have much to add.

Thanks for the lead. I haven't purchased it, so I'm only guessing based on what I've gleaned from other sources. Had I known of this book's existance, I probably wouldn't have taken the route I did when creating this. Here are a few cardinal differences I'm exploring though.

1)It seems that the material presented in this book is only applicable to the Chaos Mage class. From what I can tell, only a chaos mage can wield Chaos Magic. I'm down with that. I may even pick the book up one day. What I'm looking for is an admittedly similar alternative availible to every spellcaster.

2)since it is potentially availible to every spellcaster, It shouldn't posess nearly the same degree of power that the Chaos Mage seems to revel in. Similarly, it probably shouldn't have the same degree of price associated with it. What I've read makes chaos magic an extremely harsh mistress, doling out brutal defomities and other cosmic backhands that, frankly, would get pretty boring after a while. What I'm working on may be a little weaker, but the caster, and consequently, the player, has a lighter leash to wear. That's usually more fun for everyone in the game.

3) Flavor: I just didn't like the flavor of any of the other sources of "random" magic that I'd come across. simple as that. They seemed to be a collection of extremes with no middle ground. They ranged from fluffy and slightly airheaded to completely over the top in a way that could make Cthulhu blush. I wanted something different, that's what I built.

I like the use of the concentration skill in Chaos Magic, I'm not sure why I didn't think about it, but I didn't. That's that. It could be a way to answer the earlier questions concerning integrating new skills by eliminating the need for them entirely.

BDO
2007-01-18, 02:25 AM
Mabriss, I read through your initial post again and I stumbled over a certain comment of yours regarding the casting technique. How good would a spellcaster be if he would botch a spell?

I would rather say that the caster won't cast a spell improperly, but in a different way, representing the implementation of outworldly energy.