PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld 15

EthanAlshire
2007-01-09, 09:47 PM
Is that Hawk of Applegeeks fame?

The story is starting to make more sense now. I'm 'back' into Erfworld- I wasn't a fan at first. Good job!

The Giant
2007-01-09, 09:48 PM
My fault on the late update--with all the problems that led to OOTS being late, I just plain forgot to load Rob and Jamie's next strip into the system. Do not hold them accountable.

Swordsaint
2007-01-09, 09:55 PM
Is it just me, or does Parson look like a hamster himself. Although I will agree on the logic of the peep. Always better stale.

Also, no worries Giant, Im sure you usually busy, so if something runs a little late, who are we to complain? Well, besides those that actually DO complain, but who listens to them :smallwink: .

Frojoe21
2007-01-09, 10:10 PM
Is that Hawk of Applegeeks fame?

I was just thinking that. I remember him posting about Erfworld on AG, so it could be? Mr. Author, sir?

TinSoldier
2007-01-09, 10:15 PM
I think some of the players remind me of the people in Erfworld itself. That may just be the art style, though.

Lots of crunchy marshmallowy exposition in this one! Woo! Some questions answered that I didn't expect. I really didn't expect Erfworld to be the game that Parson played, I expected it to be its own entity that Parson would be sucked into.

I laughed out loud about

"...not to mention unspeakable."
"Unspeakable?"
"I said not to mention unspeakable."

That was great!

Gah! Now I have to wait another two days for an update!

Shott
2007-01-09, 10:26 PM
I'm starting to like things. Ever since the 'crap golems' line, I've been really liking Erfworld. Good job!

Jenrock
2007-01-09, 10:28 PM
Great comic, but the funniest thing to me was the whole "peeps" bit because I have had nearly the exact same conversation with a friend (I was on the sane side).

Demented
2007-01-09, 10:29 PM
Ohkay... instead of one perfect warlord, we get five!

So how many marbits does your computer run on?

terror_drone
2007-01-09, 10:29 PM
Erfworld may or may not be the game they are playing, it doesn't come out and say it but it most likely is. Still I love the webcomic.

The_Old_Fox
2007-01-09, 10:32 PM
I am interested to see where this is going.

Also, I am digging the style of the "real world" strips.

The blending of the two art styles is particularly interesting when reading the story all at once. I will be interested in seeing how it will blend if they keep jumping back and forth.

Keep up the good work, I for one like it. :smallsmile:

Furin_Mirado
2007-01-09, 10:39 PM
Now I'm really trapped into reading this comic. I simply *must* know what's going on with the two worlds and whether the creator is going to get sucked into his own creation.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-09, 10:41 PM
Mmm... Very interesting.

Well, it would make sense for the "perfect warlord" to be someone intimately familiar with the mechanisms of war (in Erfworld), and who better than its creator? Or, more accurately, a man from another universe who has come up with a wargame simulation that almost exactly matches Erfworld. Even better, he has metagame knowledge. :D

Allandaros
2007-01-09, 10:42 PM
AAAAIIEEEE, the PAIN! My theories, shattered like glass!

Although I would point something out. Note that the Hamstard dude is biting the head off of a peep...now where have we seen that before? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0012.html)

TinSoldier
2007-01-09, 10:43 PM
I get kind of a "Tron" feel out of the strip now...

AAAAIIEEEE, the PAIN! My theories, shattered like glass!

Although I would point something out. Note that the Hamstard dude is biting the head off of a peep...now where have we seen that before? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0012.html)Yup. I noticed that too, but I'm not sure if it is "coincidence" or not.

Toric
2007-01-09, 10:46 PM
For some reason I see Lord Stanley's eyes in the hamster-man. It would make sense that the system he made is Erfworld, given his love of Peeps and knowledge of what a marbit is, but I dunno, we'll find out in due time.

Excellent reasoning in your spoiler, Thomar.

erewhon
2007-01-09, 10:52 PM
heh.

Not bad. :)

kabbor
2007-01-09, 10:53 PM
Maybe:They are the players of the game. The first thing they do is roll a dice/spin a bottle to determine who is summoned to be the greatest ever warlord. It falls to the player playing Lady FireBaugh. Cut back to her realising the outcome of the spell!
You have to admit she is the most capable cast member we have been introduced to!

Tyrmadris
2007-01-09, 10:53 PM
Just because it is a world he has created doesn't mean he can't be sucked into it. Anyone here ever read Gamearth before? An interesting fantasy book about four kids who created their own RPG and played it through generations of its characters until it eventually took on a life of its own. The people 'in' the world had to abide by weird rules (to them) such as not moving more than a certain number of terrain hexes in one day despite standing at the very edge of their last one, etc, all because those rules were how their world 'worked'. I thought things seemed a bit fishy on Erfworld... I wonder if the creator of this series has ever read the book before. If he hasn't, it's a disturbing coincidence. Fortunately the girl at the gaming table is named 'Ashna' and not 'Melanie', else I'd be worried. Still, I wonder if the parallels will continue... in that book, all the players took a major interest and became involved directly (between worlds), since they had crafted the world together and each had a vested interest in its destiny. I guess Lord Hamster won't have that problem since he's the sole creator. Hope he likes being a warlord.

Oh yeah, go back to 01 and check out "Marbits." Incidentally, aside from being marshmallow chunks, those were the race of little guys who could afford extra axemen thanks to our Elvis-lookalike world creators leaving behind one of their adorning rhinestones on accident. Nice little synergy there, I think the comic has finally caught my interest to the point where it is, indeed, very interesting to me, instead of just a side-trek on Giant Road. I was expecting it to be primarily humor with a little story (like OotS), but instead it seems it's going to be primarily story with numerous tiny added tidbits of humor.

I can live with that. Looking forward to the next installment. ;)

Oh, and it's cool to see him bite the head of that peep just like a certain Dwagon decapitated a certain Gwiffon.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-09, 10:58 PM
I'm tempted to try that with marshmallow peeps now...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-09, 11:04 PM
Mr. Gotti appears to be being set up as the reluctant hero (though many other possibilities still have pretty much equal weight). But...I dunno. There's just something sleazy about him. And not in the normal greasy gamer way. I think it's the lips. Those are villains' lips. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it; the art style in this strip has confused me before.

Or maybe I'm just disturbed at how much he looks like his own creation. Speaking of which,

I WANT MORE HAMSTARD!!

Daraniya
2007-01-09, 11:06 PM
I agree with Tyrmadis. I was about to give up, until this strip. Now, I am eagerly awaiting the next. Nearly as much as the next OOTS...

I especially love the hamstard... He is hilarious...

Alex Star
2007-01-09, 11:14 PM
Spectacular I am falling more and more in love with Erfworld with each strip.. I just wish it was 3 a week instead of 2!

Sir_Faust
2007-01-09, 11:18 PM
I'm really loving this page, for a number of reasons.
1. HAWK!:smallbiggrin: i'm a huge AG fan, i love the appearance of him.
2.The plot thickens- Besides the great art and humor, the story is now REALLY developing.
4.MARBITS!, and the show is finally on the road.
MAd props to jamie and the writer. ((i know jamie from angry zen master.:smallsmile: ))

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-09, 11:19 PM
Mr. Gotti appears to be being set up as the reluctant hero (though many other possibilities still have pretty much equal weight). But...I dunno. There's just something sleazy about him. And not in the normal greasy gamer way. I think it's the lips. Those are villains' lips. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it; the art style in this strip has confused me before.

Or maybe I'm just disturbed at how much he looks like his own creation. Speaking of which,

I think it's an attempt at representing the character as being a gamer. There are certain body types and skin tones associated with us, you know. ;)

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-09, 11:21 PM
Is it just me or does that kid have red eyes?

AngryGreek
2007-01-09, 11:24 PM
Dude, I never knew I had fans out here!! ;)

I'm really loving this page, for a number of reasons.
1. HAWK!:smallbiggrin: i'm a huge AG fan, i love the appearance of him.
2.The plot thickens- Besides the great art and humor, the story is now REALLY developing.
4.MARBITS!, and the show is finally on the road.
MAd props to jamie and the writer. ((i know jamie from angry zen master.:smallsmile: ))

Mr Wizard
2007-01-09, 11:28 PM
I wonder if names like "Manpower the Temporary" are bestowed by Stanley. What would Parson get?

Stanley:"I dub you, Manboob the Spotted!"

Parson:"Err, just call me Lord Hamster."

Cyclone231
2007-01-09, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that the players are playing the characters from the story. Mr. "Dude, it's July." seems a lot like Mr. Rockwell. Anybody else get that impression?

Vazzaroth
2007-01-10, 01:31 AM
I had doubts about the absurdity and random referances to things not-yet-explained in Erworld, but the unveiling of this real-world setting is a very nice explenation. I am now very excited about it.

Although, there is one problem.
There is a girl who appears to be playing the game.
This is obviously an error by the artist, and will probably be corrected soon.
^__^

although
2007-01-10, 02:29 AM
Damn.

I really like Erfworld.

Don't get me wrong; I thought it was pretty decent before. I certainly wanted to like it a lot, since I think Partially Clips verges on brilliance at times...but now we meet this repulsive slob of a gamer, who manages to say things that are cool as hell and that I fully intend to steal[1], and all the poor in-game creatures exist in a whole new light as products of this guy's twisted sense of humor...

For the first time, I can't wait for the next installment. And until then, will be re-reading earlier issues and groaning at all the weird little details of the gameworld that only exist because Parson thinks they're funny. And now that I see them through his sarcastic lens, damned if he isn't right!

[1] It'll go something like this...
Random Student: "Can you tell us what we should study for the midterm?"

Me: "Everything. But make sure you understand Newton's Laws cold, and of course energy and momentum conservation will be important...not to mention the quantum Hall Effect."

R.S., alarmed: "The quantum Hall Effect?"

Me: "I told you not to mention the quantum Hall Effect. But since you brought it up..." (Exits lecture hall, pondering new exam questions.)

Thanks, Rob & Jamie. I feel measurably more evil now.

Xaspian
2007-01-10, 04:56 AM
If each of the players have a major character...
My guesses at who plays who:
Ashna - Jillian
Orange T-shirt - Ansom
Bandana - Not sure?
"Dude. It's July" - Sizemore?
Parson - Wanda

I'm probably wrong, but that's the point of guessing, right?

Azukar
2007-01-10, 06:32 AM
dot dot dot

Colt
2007-01-10, 07:46 AM
Ashna is definitely Wanda, same art style and everything

GKBeetle
2007-01-10, 07:59 AM
Hmm. I know everyone is singing the praises of this strip, but I kind of don't like it as much now. Not really sure why. I guess I just don't like the real world thrust into the picture. I was finally getting into the game world, and then I was jarred right out of it. Maybe once I see where it is going, I will like it better. For now, I just hope that less time is spent in the real world than the game world.

Xiander
2007-01-10, 09:05 AM
I must admit that one of the things that makes me like the new strip is that i can't really figure out where it is going, it gives a promising sort of tension, to have the foreshadowed summoning of the perfect warlord in the back of my head while i read rather humorous strips about some gamers readying for a betatest.
But really i don't think we can actually be sure what the result is, i could personally come up with three different ways to continue the story without straining myself.
In short i am intrigued.

charles
2007-01-10, 09:09 AM
Parson didn't invent Erfworld

Elvis did :smallwink:

headwarpage
2007-01-10, 09:18 AM
Parson didn't invent Erfworld

Elvis did :smallwink:

Of course! It's so obvious now - Elvis is reaching out from beyond the grave to bring his creation to life, and Parson Gotti is merely an unwitting conduit between this world and the next.

Om
2007-01-10, 09:28 AM
Of course! It's so obvious now - Elvis is reaching out from beyond the grave to bring his creation to life, and Parson Gotti is merely an unwitting conduit between this world and the next.
Elvis told me that you're talking crazy

Eldan
2007-01-10, 09:35 AM
What about the following:
There are marbits and peeps in the game, because they used them as counters? This could mean that Erfworld isn't the actual game world, but what the players imagine while playing it. Of course a guy like Parson would create a world with pages and pages of complex background and flair, which the players wouldn't read.

charles
2007-01-10, 10:12 AM
Not sure if anyone else noticed but the symbol on the orange shirt is Jami Noguchi's "Angry Monkey".

Wonder if thats ment to be Jami himself *shrug*

AngryGreek
2007-01-10, 10:13 AM
Ok. Let's, for the moment, assume that Erfworld is indeed the world created by Parson for his new game. Does it seem likely that a guy who seems to possess virtually every negative stereotype imaginable in a gamer would create creatures called dwagons, gwiffins, gobwins, etc?

I suspect that there is yet another surprise to be thrown at us, or Parson has some serious psychological issues aside from the aforementioned negatively stereoptypical issues that would go along with who he embodies.

Eldan
2007-01-10, 10:16 AM
I had a theory about exactly that, in my spoiler, two postings ago.

jami
2007-01-10, 10:35 AM
Not sure if anyone else noticed but the symbol on the orange shirt is Jami Noguchi's "Angry Monkey".

Wonder if thats ment to be Jami himself *shrug*

Yay monkey! Actually, it's loosely based on my friend, Dustin Nguyen (http://www.duss005.com), but he doesn't have a logo so I slapped mine on.

The other cameos are indeed Hawk (http://www.applegeeks.com) and Ross Nover (http://rocketsrockout.com/) who's a member of the Washington Webtoonists (http://washingtonwebtoonists.com/).

Had to give shout outs to my peeps! :smallamused:

Edit by Rob Balder: Ross' name was wrong.

Vexen
2007-01-10, 11:29 AM
I hate to rain on everyone's parade of praise, but this recent change lost me. i have previously found this strip to be funny and intriguing on many levels. The pacing is a little slow for my taste, but i understand that it is all part of the genre. However, i find the introduction to the real world was ok up until it involved actual people playing the actual world of erfworld. It messed up my suspension of reality, taking me way too far out of character. I also found the explination of the peeps and the marbits to take away from the subtlety of the humor of previous references. i sure hope our new hamster man doesn't go back and explain away all the hidden references. Not to mention, but how can a man take a world full of puns that he created seriously. I just don't see him being drawn into the real world of his beta game and being able to act normaly. And the possibility that the characters of the comic might be controlled by the roleplayers scares me. I don't know maybe it can work something like "Stranger than Fiction" but i have my reserves. I just really hope that Hampster man or whoever gets brought into erfworld, does not really play erfworld. That the turn base world he has created is different but gives him amazing insights into how to live in erfworld. In such case, he would be surrounded by a world that would frighten, exite, and make him laugh. That twist i could understand.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-10, 12:39 PM
Alright ... it's issue 15.

I think Douglas Adams said it best when he wrote, "So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish".

I'm sorry Rob, I can't get into this comic. I find myself bored and the plot development to be uninteresting. It's not billed as a humor comic, but there sure is a lot of attempts at humor. Some things are chuckle worthy (though I don't recall ever vocalizing any such display of laughter) but many I rely on childish humor and uninspired word play.

We've already discussed the issues of timing, so refer to Issue 10's thread for more on my thoughts there.

I'm kinda disappointed because I really like the artwork. I think Erf is very well drawn. I really wish I could get the writing to be on par with the stunning visuals. I just don't think that's something that's going to happen anytime soon.

So I think we're going to officially close this book and put itback on the shelf. Maybe I'll go back to it someday. I'm a huge fan of Terry Brooks but I recall putting down the Sword of Shannara because it took too long to get to the plot. Great opening but then things kinda take a dead halt for a while. Fortunately I went back a couple years later and tried that book again, dug through the slow parts and finished it. I've been an avid fan of his ever since.

Erfworld has that going for it at least. I'll be walking by it on the bookshelf as I go to pick up the next OOTS. It will be there. Maybe, if I'm really bored, I'll start from the beginning and try to get back into it. But for right now, I think I want to be as far as is possible from the title.

Erfworld is not for me.

Sebastian

Duraska
2007-01-10, 01:40 PM
See ya. Can I have your stuff? :smallsmile:

AngryGreek
2007-01-10, 01:45 PM
*points up* ahahaha, sorry, I found that funny.

It's interesting, I was right there with Sebastien since the first episode (save for the issue with Wanda's ass... mm, oh, sorry, back to reality). Many people have had these past couple of episodes push them away, while it's had quite the reverse effect on me. I'm actually interested in this strip now (for the time being). I want to see where it goes, which is a far cry from where I was a few strips ago.

Let's see what happens. By the way, I double Sebastiens sentiment about the artwork, it's beautifully done. Especially (cmon, guess what I'm going to say next...)

Gedrean
2007-01-10, 02:01 PM
See ya. Can I have your stuff? :smallsmile:

Owns. Simply owns.
And none of that P-owns crap either. Seriously though, funny.
And yes, I agree. Erfworld's story is a little... odd, to say the least, but that's what attracts me to it. The visuals are stunning but it's amusing which is what I need in a good webstory. Crap Golems. Believe I'd have a legion. The dry humor presented there is just great, it's smile-worthy, not necessarily going to make me laugh-out-loud but it needs not do so because it builds the character so well.

EDIT: Am I the only one who sees Bogroll having a slight (or not-so) English accent?

Xaspian
2007-01-10, 02:09 PM
I imagine most of the Erfworlders as having English accents. Mind you, I am English...

But not Parson and friends.

innovan
2007-01-10, 03:30 PM
The strip is starting to go "Knights of the Dinner Table" with more and more of each frame being taken up by dialog and less room for the wonderful art.

And what art there was today... was of people sitting at a table talking. :smalleek:

I hope the expository turn of events doesn't last too long. The artwork is what rocks.

I'm also surprised that these people are willing to put up with so much sacrasm and so many putdowns from the obese and disgusting GM. Don't they have limits? Why spend your free time being jerked around by this pig? How, exactly, do any of them find his game more fun than the many other (and frankly less weird) alternatives in their town?

If someone told me I had to play a crap-mancer, I'd be soooo not returning to his house anymore. There's plenty of other games being ran weekly out there.

Hopefully that's a question the authors can address sometime in the future.

although
2007-01-10, 04:10 PM
I'm also surprised that these people are willing to put up with so much sacrasm and so many putdowns from the obese and disgusting GM. Don't they have limits? Why spend your free time being jerked around by this pig? How, exactly, do any of them find his game more fun than the many other (and frankly less weird) alternatives in their town?

If someone told me I had to play a crap-mancer, I'd be soooo not returning to his house anymore. There's plenty of other games being ran weekly out there.

Hmm...I'm not getting that vibe at all from the gaming group. Parson is a pompous and cynical bastard, but he doesn't seem to be abusing his friends; since they choose to spend time with him, I assume they enjoy his sarcastic take on life.

And we've seen no evidence that anyone "had to" play a crapmancer. Out of all the principle characters we've seen so far, Sizemore Rockwell might be the one I'd most enjoy playing. He's got built-in conflict and an interesting set of choices to make: a timid scholar who, left to his own devices, would prefer to coexist amiably with everyone and study in peace, but has thrown in his lot with the Forces of Eeeeevil simply because he was born to their tribe and doesn't have enough treachery in his soul to think of betraying them.

Depending on how things go, he could be the one to forge a lasting peace against all odds, could choose darkness and turn out to be frighteningly good at it, or might never find the courage to choose, and end up being used by generations of future Erfworld historians to illustrate the banality of evil.

Sizemore himself is having no fun at all, but his player may well be having a blast.

dakiwiboid
2007-01-10, 04:17 PM
I must be a real weirdo. In contrast to the people who are bailing out, #15 is the episode that convinced me to pimp the strip to my friends. It's fresh, it's original, it's downright strange, and it has PEEPS! :smallbiggrin:

Manga Shoggoth
2007-01-10, 04:55 PM
I was going to make my decision after about 30 pages (not issues), but I think I've made it now.

The art is good, the storyline is starting to improve (or at least, become clearer), and the plot is getting interesting. If this had been a paper comic I would have started collecting the series.

I'm in for the duration.

ThatMaskedMan
2007-01-10, 05:41 PM
I am still holding out for Cori Celesti over Tron.

octoberblu3
2007-01-10, 05:46 PM
Captain NES for the win?

Tussy the Druid
2007-01-10, 06:41 PM
Stale peeps? Tha's just weird.

Kadasbrass
2007-01-10, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure what makes me more angry anymore, when OOTS comic is late or when Erfworld is.

I just hope Mr. Parson does not continue to look like a fatter version of me (whew, at least he's not a slim version of me) after he has been summoned to Erfworld.

prufock
2007-01-10, 07:14 PM
Did they pull this Peeps bit straight from the GitP forum, or is it just a coincidence? I swear this discussion happened a couple of weeks ago.

AngryGreek
2007-01-10, 07:34 PM
The discussion on the benefit of stale peeps is one that has been going on for years, on any forum you can imagine. Seriously, go search for 'christian women who knit', and sometime, around Eoster (er, Easter for the lemmings) you will see threads about peeps, and how they are best when slightly stale.

Frankly, I find them revolting, but I'm just weird that way.

5tephen
2007-01-10, 09:18 PM
Personally, I just love the stain on his T-shirt.

This comic grows more interesting as it develops. I have never been one to say "Oh! I love this stuff! Bring it on!!!" followed a couple of strips later by "Man, that's just stupid. I won't be reading anymore."

I still don't know if it will end up being a great comic, but considering the effort it takes to stay current with it, I am willing to wait and see. And as I say, it gets more interesting as it gets more complex.

Inevitably....

LurkerBeneath
2007-01-10, 09:46 PM
Nitpick: ... a turn-based strategy game I have been been preparing ...
-LB

jami
2007-01-10, 09:54 PM
The discussion on the benefit of stale peeps is one that has been going on for years, on any forum you can imagine. Seriously, go search for 'christian women who knit', and sometime, around Eoster (er, Easter for the lemmings) you will see threads about peeps, and how they are best when slightly stale.

Frankly, I find them revolting, but I'm just weird that way.

Agreed! Blech. The first week I started at my current job, two of my co-workers had a peep-off to raise money for charity. They had to eat through a box of twelve. The person to finish the most in sixty seconds won. Oh man, it was tough to watch.

Hart av Srednak
2007-01-10, 10:41 PM
Now it starts to open up... good..good..good work creators of this (comic). Just don't get sucked to world you have created :smallwink:

I'm still calling myself stupid for not realising game-testing-posibility in advance. I creating my own strategy game and thou it's not even near the betatestings I've used many kind of markers (figures and tones side-by-side).

since this is strategy game I think players lead tribes and may have one own character or not. They are likely to have commanders and mages and thinks that don't have players. Erfworld world is in the point where some tribes have vanished allready. Their leaders are not playing other leaders commanders. It's no fun and it doesn't work.. Patti would't allow that kind slowing elements to playtesting.

Those characters who are from vanished tribes could be some chararacters that their former allies have gived to them before they've loosed their final battle. Or they have tavern where to hire heroes.. even death ones from other players.

There is also no proof that Patti is plaing. He might be a judge who knows how big army every one has and where they are. That allows fog-of-war kind of effect in table-top-game

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-01-10, 10:43 PM
Ah, and so it unfolds before us.

A new take on a 25 year old (at least) idea. I like it.

Turcano
2007-01-11, 02:45 AM
But...I dunno. There's just something sleazy about him. And not in the normal greasy gamer way. I think it's the lips. Those are villains' lips.

Now that you mention it, he does have a bit of a "pedo-smile (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=spot_the_pedo)"* going on there in the last panel.

*This link goes to a Maddox article, which is unsuitable for children and those who are easily offended. Fairly warned be ye, says I.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-01-11, 12:44 PM
The Fat guy is so damn ugly, his face looks like an infant wrapped around a ham.

Having to look at him drops Erfworld down another notch.

Maurog
2007-01-11, 02:10 PM
Everyone knows that the uglier the DM, the better he does his job. Seriously.

Ulrich_Brew
2007-01-11, 02:31 PM
The only thing I don't like about Erfworld is it doesn't update every time I visit the site.

jami
2007-01-11, 02:32 PM
Now that you mention it, he does have a bit of a "pedo-smile (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=spot_the_pedo)"* going on there in the last panel.

*This link goes to a Maddox article, which is unsuitable for children and those who are easily offended. Fairly warned be ye, says I.

Oh no! Pedo-lips! Oh man, now I'm going to have nightmares.

fwiffo
2007-01-11, 04:04 PM

You guys are brutal. Who is to say that this gentleman is not a spit-image likeness of one of our esteemed artists?

Well, he isn't (I googled and saw pictures of both of them). But he could've been.