PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] [Base Class] [PEACH] Elemental Master

RFLS
2013-11-14, 08:59 PM
Elemental Master

The elemental master is at one with the natural world - he respects the balance of the four elements, and harnesses their power equally. Elemental masters are generally solitary people, preferring to increase their understanding of the world on their own. They join adventuring parties for a variety of reasons - most often to restore balance to something.

Elemental masters can be of any alignment, as long as one component of that alignment is Neutral. They respect the balance of the world, but show that respect in a wide variety of manners.

Hit Die: d8

Skill Points: 4 + Int

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (The Planes), Profession, Ride, Survival, Swim, Tumble.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Elemental Masters are proficient with light armor and simple weapons. They are not proficient with shields.

{table=head]The Elemental Master | Spells per Day
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2| Energy Resistance, Elemental Blast, Elemental Shaping

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3| Elemental Substitution

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3| Blast Modifier

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Bonus Feat

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Potent Energies +5

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5| Blast Modifier

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+6/1|
+6|
+2|
+6| Bonus Feat

9th|
+6/1|
+6|
+3|
+6| Blast Modifier

10th|
+7/2|
+7|
+3|
+7| Potent Energies +10

11th|
+8/3|
+7|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+9/4|
+8|
+4|
+8| Blast Modifier, Bonus Feat

13th|
+9/4|
+8|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+10/5|
+9|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+11/6/1|
+9|
+5|
+9| Blast Modifier, Potent Energies +15

16th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10| Bonus Feat

17th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+11| Blast Modifier

19th|
+14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12| Potent Energies +20, Bonus Feat[/table] | {table=head]0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 5 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 |
6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 |
[/table][/table]

Spells:
An elemental master casts divine spells (the same type of spells available to clerics and druids), which are drawn from the elemental master spell list given below. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a cleric or wizard must. When an elemental master gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the elemental master's spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list. Elemental masters also have the option of adding to their existing spell list through their advanced learning ability as they increase in level (see below). See below for the elemental master's spell list.

To cast a spell, an elemental master must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell's level (Charisma 10 for 0-level spells, WCharismas 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a elemental master's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the elemental master's Charisma modifier. Like other spellcasters, an elemental master can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the Spells per Day table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Charisma score.

Unlike a cleric or a wizard, an elemental master need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.

Elemental Resistance:
Starting at 1st level, you gain a resistance to all energy other than positive or negative damage equal to your elemental master level. At 20th level, this becomes immunity to energy damage (other than positive and negative energy). An elemental master is always immune to the damage done by his own spells.

Elemental Blast:
The first thing an elemental master learns is basic manipulation of the elements. His elemental blast's damage starts at 1d6 of damage, and increases by 1d6 for every two levels of elemental master beyond the first. In addition, he adds his Charisma modifier to the damage done by this attack.

The damage type is chosen each time the elemental master uses this ability. He may choose from fire, acid, cold, or electricity. This attack has a range of 60 feet, and spell resistance applies. He may use this attack as though it were a weapon attack, complete with iterative attacks.

Elemental Shaping:
An elemental master has the ability to shape the very elements around him. At will, as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, he may manipulate up to 10 cubic feet of air, earth, fire, or water per class level at once, shaping it as he wishes. This ability cannot be directly used offensively, though he may drop rocks on people's heads or throw the fire at them. It may be used defensively, however, to grant himself total cover from 1 opponent in the round in which he uses it. This ability has a range of 10 feet per class level. When the elemental master release control of the elements, they act as they normally would in the situation in which they find themselves.

Elemental Substitution:
At 2nd level, the elemental adept gains the ability to change his spells' energy damage from one type to another. This functions as the feat Energy Substitution, but he is not limited to just one energy type. This ability counts as the Energy Substitution feat for the purposes of meeting prerequisites.

Blast Shapes:
At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, an elemental master gains a blast shape. These abilities all allow him to modify his blast attack in some manner. Only one shape may be applied to each blast attack. Unless otherwise noted, the save against an elemental master's blast (if it is allowed) is equal to 10 + 1/2 his HD + his Charisma modifer.

Burning Blast: A blast modified by this shape has a chance to set any creature affected alight. Any creature that takes damage from a blast modified by this shape must make a Reflex save or be set on fire for 1d4 rounds. The damage done by this blast is always fire.
Channeled Blast: A blast modified by this shape is channeled through your melee attacks for that round. Your melee attacks deal bonus energy damage equal to that of your blast.
Corrosive Blast: A creature struck by a blast modified with this shape must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The damage done by this blast is always acid.
Elemental Lance: A blast modified by this shape has a range of 250 feet, as opposed to the normal range of 60 feet. The elemental master may not make iterative attacks with a blast modified by this shape.
Elemental Cone: A blast modified by this shape is instead a cone effect. Creatures caught within the effect must make a Reflex save for half damage. The cone has a size equal to 5 feet per 2 class levels of elemental master.
Freezing Blast: A blast modified by this shape forces any creature damaged by it to make a Fortitude save or be slowed for one round. The damage done by this blast is always cold.
Mixed Blast: A blast modified by this shape is an admixture of two energy types. The blast does half of one damage type, and half the other.
Shocking Blast: A creature struck by a blast modified by this shape must make a Fortitude save or be staggered for 1 round.
Widen Blast: This blast deals splash damage. Any creature within 5 feet of the initial target must make a Reflex save or take splash damage (minimum damage roll). If the attack misses the target, splash damage is still dealt (to the target, as well).

Bonus Feat:
At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the elemental master gains one bonus metamagic or item creation feat for which he qualifies.

Potent Energies:
At 5th level, an elemental master's attacks become more dangerous. Any time he deals energy damage with a spell or his Elemental Blast ability, he ignores the first five points of energy resistance anything affected by the spell or Blast has. This ability increases by 5 every 5 levels beyond fifth. At 20th level, it also allows him to bypass immunity to that energy type, and instead treats the creature as though it had 25 energy resistance to that type of energy.

Spell List:

acid splash, detect magic, dancing lights, flare, hail of stone, ray of frost, prestidigitation.

burning hands, endure elements, faerie fire, feather fall, jump, shocking grasp, summon nature's ally I.

blur, continual flame, flaming sphere, fog cloud, gust of wind, levitate, scorching ray, summon nature's ally II, whispering wind.

call lightning, daylight, fireball, fly, lightning bolt, protection from energy, gaseous form, sleet storm, stinking cloud, summon nature's ally III, water breathing, wind wall.

fire shield, fire trap, ice storm, solid fog, stone shape, stoneskin, summon nature's ally IV, wall of fire, wall of ice

call lightning, cone of cold, flame strike,overland flight, summon nature's ally IV, transmute mud to rock, transmute rock to mud, wall of stone

acid fog, chain lightning, disintegrate, fire seeds, freezing sphere, summon nature's ally VI, true seeing, wall of iron

control weather, earthquake, fire storm, plane shift, summon nature's ally VII, transmute metal to wood VII

incendiary cloud, iron body, polar ray, shout (greater), summon nature's ally VIII, sunburst, whirlwind

elemental swarm, implosion, imprisonment, meteor swarm, summon nature's ally IX

*Special Note: When using the Summon Nature's Ally line of spells, an elemental master may only summon elementals or creatures with an elemental subtype.

RFLS
2013-11-14, 09:00 PM
- RESERVED POST: Prestige Class #1 -

RFLS
2013-11-14, 09:02 PM
- RESERVED POST: Prestige Class #2 -

RFLS
2013-11-14, 09:03 PM
- RESERVED POST: Prestige Class #3 -

RFLS
2013-11-14, 09:04 PM
- RESERVED POST: Feats, and other things I've probably forgotten. -

Post away! I'd love advice on the spell list, especially.

Carl
2013-11-15, 03:19 AM
1. You need to cut elemental blast way down. With it's range it's much more usable as a full attack action and bypasses DR unlike normal ranged attacks, plus the maximum damage is on par with a normal characters full attack and that's per round.

Sure a rouge who's flanking a target can pull similar numbers, but that's a more limited set of circumstances and is still subject to DR unless you use the abusive alchemical flask rouge set-up.

Also as written i can argue it's a ranged attack and so benefits from rapid shot/many shot/e.t.c. and i could argue i could dual wield it.

2. Potent energies needs clarification. The way it's written i can treat a target with immunity as if it has ER 25, then reduce it via the same feature.

3. prestidigitation, feather fall, jump, levitate, fly, overland flight, disintegrate, true seeing, plane shift, implosion, and imprisonment all seem odd non-elemental based choices. You've also got a typo at the end of the 7th level list, (you've added a VIII where it doesn't belong), and you've got Sunburst and Greater Shout, but not Shout, or Sunbeam.

If you really want a fly like affect that's air based, go with Air Walk and Wind Walk respectively. Also Water Walk, Firestorm, Whirlwind, Call Lightning, Call Lightning Storm strike me as good spells. Probably a lot more i missed but just quick posting atm.

RFLS
2013-11-15, 11:04 AM
1. You need to cut elemental blast way down. With it's range it's much more usable as a full attack action and bypasses DR unlike normal ranged attacks, plus the maximum damage is on par with a normal characters full attack and that's per round.

Sure a rouge who's flanking a target can pull similar numbers, but that's a more limited set of circumstances and is still subject to DR unless you use the abusive alchemical flask rouge set-up.

Also as written i can argue it's a ranged attack and so benefits from rapid shot/many shot/e.t.c. and i could argue i could dual wield it.

2. Potent energies needs clarification. The way it's written i can treat a target with immunity as if it has ER 25, then reduce it via the same feature.

3. prestidigitation, feather fall, jump, levitate, fly, overland flight, disintegrate, true seeing, plane shift, implosion, and imprisonment all seem odd non-elemental based choices. You've also got a typo at the end of the 7th level list, (you've added a VIII where it doesn't belong), and you've got Sunburst and Greater Shout, but not Shout, or Sunbeam.

If you really want a fly like affect that's air based, go with Air Walk and Wind Walk respectively. Also Water Walk, Firestorm, Whirlwind, Call Lightning, Call Lightning Storm strike me as good spells. Probably a lot more i missed but just quick posting atm.

1. I calculate Elemental Blast's maximum damage potential to be 5*(10d6+Wis), or ~225 damage - at 20th level. A rogue at that level can deal 7*(1d4+30+10d6), or ~475 damage. He's also more likely to hit. A barbarian can do 6*(2d6+95) damage on a charge without really trying, for ~610 damage.

2. Potent Energies is designed that way. I'm currently considering altering the capstone to "your elemental attacks deal half damage to a creature that is normally immune."

3. Hmm...good suggestions for the spell list. I'll add them in or substitute them in for other spells. For most of the spells you mentioned that don't seem to belong, I largely disagree - prestidigitation is just matter manipulation, which is the elemental master's schtick. Feather fall/jump/levitate/fly/overland flight are all done through manipulation of the air - although they might be subbed for air walk and wind walk. Disintegrate, I'll probably remove, but I can see it as a powerful concentration of fire. I'll agree that True Seeing doesn't fit, but it's almost a must-have for a full caster.