PDA

View Full Version : I Know Kung-Fu[Fighter/Monk Gestaltish Thing]

Rebonack
2013-11-18, 02:21 AM
The nice thing about simple class fixes is that they're just that. Simple. The Fighter is bad. The Monk is bad. So let's toss them together into a blender and hit frappe. That's kind of how this started, but then a certain level of badassery became apparent and I had to run with it.

So here we go. The following is a gestalt of the Fighter and the Monk except as follows.

1) The Monk doesn't have to be Lawful since he isn't a Monk, he's a Fighter. A really badass Fighter.

2) All Monk abilities that scale with Wis now scale with Int.

3) All Monk abilities now function in any type of armor.

4) Instead of getting a heap of awful special Monk weapons the Fighter picks one Exotic Weapons (see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313638) for Exotic Weapon making shenanigans) and gains the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for it. The Fighter may use this Exotic Weapon for Flurry of Blows and Stunning Blow. Each time the Monk's unarmed damage goes up the Fighter picks an additional Exotic Weapon and gains +1 to the damage rolls on said Exotic Weapons.

5) Quivering Palm can be used once per day.

6) The capstone now grants Outsider (Native) so you can actually be raised. The damage reduction 10 is broken by Adamantine rather than magic.

7) All abilities are Extraordinary. All of them.

8) Abundant Step and Empty Body are removed and sorta replaced since they were far too supernatural-y. Slow Fall progression gets bumped down one level to fill the voids between Fighter Bonus Feats and then changes radically as outlined below.

Three Point Landing(Ex): Starting at level 3 the Fighter no longer takes falling damage nor does he fall prone upon landing regardless of the distance. He doesn't fall more slowly or anything. He just slams into the ground.

Without being harmed.

Like a badass.

Skill Mastery(Ex): Starting at level 5 and every odd level there after the Fighter may choose a single Skill Mastery from the list below.

Fancy Footwork: The Fighter's movement isn't slowed by difficult terrain and he can charge over anything. The guy could run on marbles. It's pretty impressive.

Bob and Weave: The Fighter no longer provokes attacks of opportunity by moving through threatened squares or even entering the square of another creature. The perfect skill-set for climbing colossal constructs and stabbing them in their weak point with a magic sword. Bob and Weave requires Fancy Footwork.

Tremendous Leap: The Fighter's jumping prowess becomes rather impressive. The Fighter may jump a distance equal to half his move speed as part of a Move action, his full speed as part of a Charge action, or twice his speed as part of a Run action. He does not need to make jump check. This jump movement can be along the ground, straight into the air, or some combination of the two.

Hulking Leap: The Fighter's jumping prowess becomes truly incredible. The Fighter may jump a distance equal to his move speed as part of a Move action, twice his speed as part of a Charge action, or four times his speed as part of a Run action. He does not need to make jump check. This jump movement can be along the ground, straight into the air, or some combination of the two. Hulking Leap requires Tremendous Leap.

Fifty Foot Step: The Fighter has learned to flow like water around his foes. Once per encounter the Fighter may take a Fifty Foot Step in place of a Five Foot Step.

Five Hundred Foot Step: The Fighter has learned the art of Sun Wukong's Wind-tumble, allowing him to traverse incredible distance in the blink of an eye. Once per day the Fighter may take a Five Hundred Foot Step in place of a Five Foot Step. Five Hundred Foot Step requires Fifty Foot Step.

Wall Runner: The Fighter retains momentum as he races along the walls. You may move at your full base speed along a vertical surface so long as you begin and end your movement on level ground.

Wall Cling: The Fighter gouges foot-holds into the stone with each step and holds himself in place with his incredible strength. You may move at your full base speed along vertical surfaces and even upside down. You may end your movement or even fight on such a surface without penalty. Wall Cling requires Wall Runner.

Power Swim: The Fighter may swim at his full speed and fight underwater without penalty. Something as mundane as water isn't going to slow him down.

Water Strider: The Fighter may run along the surface of a body of water or on objects that shouldn't normally be able to hold his weight, such as clouds or thin branches. How does he do it? Hell if I know. He keeps full-attacking everyone who asks. Water Strider requires Power Swim.

Armor Mastery: The Fighter ignores half the check penalty of his armor and shields and treats it as if it were one category lighter.

Second Skin: The Fighter ignores armor check penalties and is no longer slowed even when waring heavy armor. Second Skin requires Armor Mastery.

Abiding Terror: The Fighter gains a +3 Bonus to Intimidate. Additionally, creatures he has successfully intimidated before will remember the encounter and temporarily become Friendly again in his presence.

Terrifying Presence: With a bone-rattling shout the Fighter may demoralize a foe in combat as a Swift action. Terrifying Presence requires Abiding Terror.

Keen Sight: The Fighter may ignore the Hide bonus of Invisible foes, the Disguise bonus from form-altering magic, and ignores the 20% miss chance of concealment.

Perfect Vision: The Fighter can now ignore the 50% miss chance from total concealment, he can spot creatures lurking in the ethereal plane, and he adds half his Spot modifier to his Will save against Illusions. Perfect Vision requires Keen Sight.

Inspiring Warrior: As a standard action the Fighter may use his Diplomacy modifier in place of his Base Attack Bonus to make an attack. If this attack hits one ally of the Fighter's choice can make an attack of opportunity against their common foe.

Rallying Cry: As an immediate action once per encounter the Fighter may make a Diplomacy check. He and all allies who can see and hear him add the check result minus 10 (minimum 0) as a Moral bonus to their next saving throw. Rallying Cry requires Inspiring Warrior

What's that look like when all is said and done?

The Badass Normal Fighter

The Fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

4+Int Skillpoints per level, times four at level one.
1d10 Hit Die
All Good Saves

{table=head]Level|Feature|Bonus Feats|Skill Masteries| Weapons/Damage|AC Bonus|Speed Bonus
1st|Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike|2|0|1/+0, 1d6 Unarmed|+0|+0
2nd|Evasion|4|0|1+0, 1d6 Unarmed|+0|+0
3rd|Three Point Landing|4|0|1/+0, 1d6 Unarmed|+0|+10
4th|Ki Strike Magic|5|0|2/+1, 1d8 Unarmed|+0|+10
5th|Purity of Body|5|1|2/+1, 1d8 Unarmed|+1|+10
6th|Still Mind|7|1|2/+1, 1d8 Unarmed|+1|+20
7th|Wholeness of Body|7|2|2/+1, 1d8 Unarmed|+1|+20
8th|Don't You Know|8|2|3/+2, 1d10 Unarmed|+1|+20
9th|Improved Evasion|8|3|3/+2, 1d10 Unarmed|+1|+30
10th|Ki Strike Aligned|9|3|3/+2, 1d10 Unarmed|+2|+30
11th|Greater Flurry|9|4|3/+2, 1d10 Unarmed|+2|+30
12th|Diamond Body|10|4|4/+3, 2d6 Unarmed|+2|+40
13th|Diamond Soul|10|5|4/+3, 2d6 Unarmed|+2|+40
14th|Who I am?|11|5|4/+3, 2d6 Unarmed|+2|+40
15th|Quivering Palm|11|6|4/+3, 2d6 Unarmed|+3|+50
16th|Ki Strike Adamantine|12|6|5/+4, 2d8 Unarmed|+3|+50
17th|Timeless Body|12|7|5/+4, 2d8 Unarmed|+3|+50
18th|Tongue of the Sun and Moon|13|7|5/+4, 2d8 Unarmed|+3|+60
19th|I'm the Juggernaut!|13|8|5/+4, 2d8 Unarmed|+3|+60
20th|Perfect Self|14|8|6/+5, 2d10 Unarmed|+4|+60[/table]

Don't you know(Ex): Starting at level 8 the Fighter may make Break checks as part of a move action and add half his Fighter level (rounded down) as a bonus to the check. At level 14 this bonus increases to his Fighter level and again to twice his Fighter level at 19.

Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut!

There! I think that's sufficiently badass in general. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, or rotten tomatoes?

Ziegander
2013-11-18, 01:58 PM
Not too bad, really. It's kind of a mess, has ridiculous dipability, and still has plenty of useless class features, but it's a good start, and if not mechanically, certainly power-wise it's a solid class.

It sort of inspires me for my simple Fighter fix to do something with all the "weapon point" systems out there so that any weapon wielded by a Fighter becomes an "exotic" weapon, allowing him to "add points" to weapons he wields to grant them additional benefits. The rate of such increases could follow the pattern of a Monk's unarmed damage (or perhaps improve even a little faster). Obviously it wouldn't be the main feature, but it would give him just a smidgeon more versatility with signature weapons.

I like the Skill Masteries too, even if they might step on the Rogue's toes a little bit their design doesn't exactly scream Rogue powers. So maybe "Combat Skills" isn't a bad name for them.

Mashing up Fighter and Monk into one Fighter class, actually, isn't as crazy as I thought it would be.

Rebonack
2013-11-18, 02:52 PM
It is a little messy and filled with useless class features, but that's sorta the result of basing it on a gestalt.

The monk always struck me as kind of an odd pick for a core class since the shaolin-style monk doesn't make a lot of sense in a traditional fantasy setting. Though if you apply the monk's abilities to the Fighter you're instead looking at a Fighter who picks up some vaguely beyond-natural physical prowess as he advances, which fits the bill quite a bit better.

I was kind of stumped for a while what I could do with Empty Body since it's such a flagrantly supernatural ability. On top of that I was left with three dead levels.

Then inspiration struck!

The Fighter can still walk through walls at level 19. The wall just won't be there anymore when he's done.