PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Wuxia inspired low-magic world, Need help with a couple things.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-18, 11:19 AM
Hello Playground,

I'm looking for help with some variant rules I'm putting together as a potential campaign to have fun with Tome of Battle.

The setting is based on Feudal Japan a la Samurai Champloo: Edo sort of theme to the world, but with enough anachronism that it's not strictly Japanese. Many base D&D monsters, for instance, would be in the world.

There will, however, be a limit on classes available:
ToB classes, Psychic Warrior*, Some mundane classes if asked for, and certain casting classes. (Wu Jen, Shugenja, Sha'ir, Spirit Shaman, maybe others? Would like some ideas here) Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer would all be disallowed.

*-Re-fluffed, all effects are Spell-Like Abilities, subject to SR and anti-magic effects, etc.

Magic items would be limited, if allowed at all. No (or very limited) Flight options, even for casters. I don't plan on including any/many flying enemies anyway, as the campaign is aiming more for wuxia than a traditional sword+Sorcery fantasy.

To compensate for the above, all characters will be given a background feat that works similar to the Vow of Poverty feat. It mostly follows the Vow of Poverty feat's progressions, with the more supernatural elements removed, the Magic Weapon enhancement progression a bit faster, and "Bonus Exalted Feat" replaced by "Bonus feat" at every even level. The armor bonus of this feat will be allowed to stack with mundane/masterwork light or medium armor. (I can't rediscover the thread I found some time ago with the campaign-specific rules for a low-magic campaign with this rule. If someone can link to that thread I'd be grateful.)

In addition, characters can perform a ritual of some sort (or a longer-term test, haven't decided which) to form a bond with a specific weapon. This bond allows the character to add enhancements to the weapon (maximum based on character level) and grants a dodge bonus to AC when wielding the weapon. Spellcasters might be given something different. Each character can only bond with one weapon at a time, and each weapon can only be bonded to one character at a time.

(I have a spreadsheet where I compared the AC bonuses vs. a character starting with 18 str and using the VoP-equivalent chart, and the AC/attack bonus scaling seem to match each other well. I can share the bonus charts if needed.)

Races available:
PHB races, UA variants and Races of X races with 0 LA by DM approval. Some others (Kenku, for instance)

Additional Rules in use:
- Vitality/wound points. (With the exception to this system that critical hits deal their normal crit damage to vitality points, and Half of weapon damage to wound points. I want crits to feel dangerous, but not quite so deadly to characters)
- Mooks - (To go along with the above.) Have class levels, but no Vitality points, and a limited version of the setting's background feat. (This lets me make a few NPCs that can be thrown en-masse at the party with relatively low danger)
- Players make all rolls. (So instead of a flat AC, they make armor checks against a static "Attack DC" per enemy. Enemies have a "Save DC" for each save type, and spells "attack" those saves like normal attack rolls vs. AC. The exception is opposed rolls (Grapple, trip, skills, etc.) which are rolled as normal.

The actual campaign (and the majority of the world itself) I don't really have an idea for yet. Was looking to design the rules of the setting first, then see if any of my fellow players would want to run a short campaign to check it out. Mostly it'd be an excuse to pick up the Tome of Battle and introduce the classes to everyone. (Because our normal DM is a bit wary of the book.)

The setting lends itself to a number of campaign types, from political intrigue (feudal lords feuding, as it were) to exploration, to straight-up monster-hunting adventure.

What I'm looking for:
- Ideas for what classes/PrCs and races to allow (Preferably no Dragon material except perhaps Dragon Compendium)
- CR adjustments (for exp purposes) for Mooks (who have class levels, no Vitality points)
- Thoughts on the Background Feat (I don't know how to post a pretty table, or else I would share what I have. It works out, between different bonuses, to add roughly one's level to AC, slightly more with bonded weapon. Far less to touch AC. Effective weapon enhancement bonus is +1/4 levels.)
- Ideas for a weapon bonding rite or test. to attune a specific weapon to a character. Also, bonuses for this bond. (Martial, Spiritual, or Both)

Thank you for your help, Playground.

(This was originally posted in the wrong forum. This is reposted from the world building forum, as this is much more a mechanics help question)

Prime32
2013-11-18, 12:36 PM
There will, however, be a limit on classes available:
ToB classes, Psychic Warrior*, Some mundane classes if asked for, and certain casting classes. (Wu Jen, Shugenja, Sha'ir, Spirit Shaman, maybe others? Would like some ideas here) Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer would all be disallowed.If you don't want casters to be too powerful, you could try domain adept. There's definitely room for wizard, cleric and druid archetypes fluffwise (moreso than shugenja, if anything), though druids should take an ACF that trades away wild shape. Binder too.

*-Re-fluffed, all effects are Spell-Like Abilities, subject to SR and anti-magic effects, etc.That's how they worked already. :smallconfused:

Magic items would be limited, if allowed at all. No (or very limited) Flight options, even for casters. I don't plan on including any/many flying enemies anyway, as the campaign is aiming more for wuxia than a traditional sword+Sorcery fantasy. Funnily enough, I've seen wuxia rules that gave everyone flight. :smalltongue:

Races available:
PHB races, UA variants and Races of X races with 0 LA by DM approval. Some others (Kenku, for instance)What about Oriental Adventures stuff?

Additional Rules in use:
- Vitality/wound points. (With the exception to this system that critical hits deal their normal crit damage to vitality points, and Half of weapon damage to wound points. I want crits to feel dangerous, but not quite so deadly to characters)I tend to go with inflicting wound damage equal to their critical multiplier.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-18, 01:00 PM
If you don't want casters to be too powerful, you could try domain adept. There's definitely room for cleric and druid archetypes fluffwise, though maybe not with wild shape. Binder too.

I'll have to look up Domain adept. Maybe shapeshifter variant druid instead of allowing wild shape. Binder, I don't have Tome of Magic to really look into it. I've looked at the class, but never had the chance to really look into the class much.

That's how they worked already. :smallconfused:

Uhhh...Good point. I'm too used to my normal DM who lives by the "Psionics and Magic are different" rules, so psionics don't normally interact with magic. And what I really meant was "It's not actually 'psionics' but magic fighter."

Funnily enough, I've seen wuxia rules that gave everyone flight. :smalltongue:

Possibly for later levels, in-combat-only kind of stuff. Trying to keep the players on the ground for the most part.

What about Oriental Adventures stuff?

Don't have the books. Can look 'em up and see about it. Though I really don't want Iajitsu Focus. I think the ToB classes cover samurai styles well enough without adding

I tend to go with inflicting wound damage equal to their critical multiplier.

That's actually a good idea. Thank you. *takes note*

Hiro Protagonest
2013-11-18, 01:14 PM
You could use the thing in my sig.

Prime32
2013-11-18, 01:52 PM
I'll have to look up Domain adept.Eberron Campaign Setting. It's a variant rule for the adept class where they get one cleric domain for free.

Maybe shapeshifter variant druid instead of allowing wild shapeI meant more fluffwise, though I guess if a PC was playing some kind of supernatural creature that's known for shapeshifting...
(A tanuki would probably be something like Wild Shape Ranger 1/Master of Many Forms X)

IAmTehDave
2013-11-18, 02:11 PM
You could use the thing in my sig.

Thanks for the idea.
From skimming the thread, it's not quite what I'm looking for. It's pretty damn awesome, and I might be interested in playing a game in that kind of setting. However, I'm looking to keep supernatural and some more traditional D&D stuff in there. (Bruce Lee v. Beholder, round 1, FIGHT!) Maybe less Samurai Champloo, more... (And I hate to say this) Inuyasha?

I meant more fluffwise, though I guess if a PC was playing some kind of supernatural creature that's known for shapeshifting...
(A tanuki would probably be something like Wild Shape Ranger 1/Master of Many Forms X)

A wildshape ranger can get into MoMF that early, huh... Interesting. Note to self...

In other news: Thoughts on a Vow of Poverty variant to replace WBL? (Mostly to reduce item overhead, keep things focused on action and RP rather than inventory management puzzles)