PDA

View Full Version : Lodesteel (Magnetic Special Material) [PEACH]

RiskyJubles
2013-11-19, 02:57 PM
Hello,

Below is a new magnetic themed special material I've created for a Pathfinder sky pirate themed game I'm going to start running soon. In my new campaign setting, there is no land, only floating islands. This is possible thanks to a magnetic substance called lodestone in these islands. Air ships use this same stuff in their hulls to fly, heating or cooling the stone to gain altitude.

I wanted to add these same themes to my special material, but I'm afraid I went a little overboard. I was inspired by the magnetic magic property found here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Magnetic_(3.5e_Equipment)), but I changed a lot.

I'm pretty sure that it's too complicated to be practical. I want it to be something people will want to use, but also keep the flavor I was going for. Any thoughts on how to improve it and how much it should be worth would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much. I'll be posting my 50+ page campaign setting document once I'm done polishing it. It's the least I can to in return. You guys are the best.

Lodesteel
This metal made from a closely guarded alchemical process involving lodestone yields a pitch black metal that has magnetic properties and becomes
lightweight when absorbing heat.

Armor and shields made from lodesteel attracts metallic weapons not made from lodesteel. When lodesteel armor and weapons interact with each other, any of the listed penelties or bonues are replaced by a -4 to the attacker’s roll unless specifically forged together.
If an opponent has any armor comprised of metal you receive a +1 to hit if wielding a lodesteel weapon. Against enemies made completely of metal, you receive a +2 to hit. If you have a strength penalty, you run the risk having your weapon becoming stuck to metal clad enemy. In such cases, a DC10 strength check is required to pull a magnetic weapon off of any such opponent. You are not considered "grappling" your opponent if your magnetized weapon gets stuck to you enemy. Separating your magnetized weapon from metal can be done as a free action. If your magnetic weapon sticks to an opponent and you cannot pull it off then you are considered unarmed by that opponent. Attempting to grab it back later is a standard touch attack action that generates an attack of opportunity, unless you have the improved unarmed strike feat. If an enemy has a metallic shield, then the attack receives a -2 to its attack roll instead of a bonus as the weapon is pulled towards it. Lodesteel interacts violently with other sources of lode unless specifically forged together. If an opponent is welding weapons or armor made from lodestone or lodesteel, the attack receives a -4 to its attack roll instead of a bonus. Studded leather armor doesn’t have enough metal to interact with lodesteel. A metal helmet does count as metal armor.

Wearers of lodesteel armor have a -1 AC penalty against metallic weapons, but gain 10 fire residence and begin levitating when the armor resists half its HP.

When fire damage is resisted by the armor it becomes half as heavy for a number of rounds equal to the damage resisted. The armor becomes one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor. A character wearing lodesteel full plate must be proficient in wearing heavy armor to avoid adding the armor's check penalty to all his attack rolls and skill checks that involve moving. While ligher, Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from lodesteel are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonuses are increased by 2, and armor check penalties are decreased by 3 (to a minimum of 0). Additional fire damage supersedes the effect’s duration if it is more than the remaining time; otherwise, it does not change the duration.

A levitating creature rises a number of feet each round equal to the amount of fire damage resisted by the lodesteel armor, rounded down to the nearest five-foot increment. The speed at which a creature levitates is cumulative with any addition fire damage resisted once they begin levitating, to a maximum of 20 feet a round, but slows by one foot every round that no additional fire damage is resisted.

While levitating, you cannot move horizontally, but the recipient could clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half its base land speed).

While levitating, you also take a –4 penalty to CMD against bull rush, drag, and reposition attempts. A targeted creature that attacks with a melee or ranged weapon finds itself increasingly unstable; the first attack has a –1 penalty on attack rolls, the second –2, and so on, to a maximum penalty of –5. A full-round action spent stabilizing allows the creature to begin again at –1. This has no effect on a flying creature.

Shields made from lodesteel have an additional +2 shield bonus versus metallic weapons.

Freddrick
2013-11-19, 08:50 PM
Aside from creating a logistical nightmare in combat I don't see anything overpowered with the lodesteel.

I do have a question. You state the metal has to be treated in order for it to obtain its magnetic properties. How do the islands float? Or is it that is floats naturally but has to be treated while forged to maintain the properties?

You mention cooling the metal but there is no mechanics for that.
Consider giving the armor a bonus to stability and slowing movement by 5 ft for every 10-20 cold absorbed.

--Freddrick

RiskyJubles
2013-11-20, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Ya, I realize there is a pretty huge logistical nightmare here. That's what I'm trying to fix.

Luckily, It's not overpowered (I have enough problems already), but I'm not as worried about balance as much about user friendliness, which it has none of. I haven't nailed down a price yet, and that will go a long way to balancing it out.

Lodesteel, and the lodestone it's made from, have naturally magnetic properties. This is what makes the islands float (It has something to do with the planet's magnetic field). The treating is needed to make it into a workable metal that keeps those properties.

A cooling mechanic is a good idea, and I can implement it without bumping it's complexity too much.

Any more thoughts?