PDA

View Full Version : Werewolves redone (3.5) PEACH

Eladrinblade
2013-11-20, 02:00 PM
So, I've always been unsatisfied with the way lycanthropes have been done in D&D. So, basing my efforts off of Skyrim, I created a new "system" for werewolves. This thread only talks about werewolves, not other lycans.

In this "system", the only difference between natural and afflicted werewolves is the difficulty in breaking the curse. Being a werewolf is both a boon and a curse, and AFAIK, these changes fit the folklore pretty well. PC werewolves most likely won't get much use from the Hybrid Form (unless the DM allows the party to be it's "pack-mates" - though I intended that to be other werewolves).

Anyway, PEACH it up, playground.

Werewolves

Humanoid/Animal Form
+2 str, +2 dex, +2 con, +2 wis
+1 natural armor
+5ft speed
scent, lowlight vision, wolf empathy (+4)
+2 listen/spot/move silently/intimidate
+4 survival when tracking by scent
DR 5/silver, Fast Healing 2
Iron Will, Run
+4 on saves against disease
(Stats are the same in humanoid and animal form, except the animal form has a speed of 50ft., is quadruped, cannot speak, has a bite attack (can trip like a wolf), has a nat armor bonus of +2, gains a +4 bonus on fort saves or con checks vs. starvation/thirst/non-magical cold, and cannot use items)

(A werewolf in human form looks totally human, if maybe a bit hairy and "vigorous" - their skin is thick, but you can't tell by looking at it)

Hybrid Form (these bonuses overlap with human/animal form bonuses)
+4 str, +4 dex, +4 con, +4 wis
+3 natural armor
+10ft speed
scent, lowlight vision, wolf empathy
+4 listen/spot/intimidate
DR 10/silver, Fast Healing 5
gains 2 claw attacks
Improved Grab (with Bite/can make two claw attacks in addition to bite when grappling, at no penalty), Rend, Powerful Build, can use both claw attacks on charge
Iron Will, Run, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Powerful Charge (2d6), Multiattack
Immune to fatigue, though any effect that would render it exhausted instead renders it fatigued.

Hyrbid form has the same limitations as a barbarian rage, except it lasts for 5 rounds + con mod (if the werewolf has barbarian rage, it automatically rages if it has any left). Shifting into hybrid form ruins any non-magical clothes or armor the werewolf was wearing (magical varieties fall to the ground at the werewolves' feet), and it cannot wield or use any item with it's hands. Once in hybrid form, the werewolf cannot voluntarily leave it, and must spend every turn moving toward and/or attacking any creature (that it can sense, and that is not a pack-mate) as much as it is able. It can extend it's hybrid form for one round by making a DC 15 will save, and again each round thereafter with the save increasing by one each round.

A werewolf can enter hybrid form once each day as a move-action. If a werewolf is suffering subdual damage from starvation, it automatically assumes hybrid form upon sensing a creature that is not a pack-mate (then, after the duration, it reverts into wolf form and eats any creatures slain during hybrid form). During a full moon, a werewolf automatically assumes hybrid form upon sensing a creature that is not a pack-mate, even if it is not suffering from subdual damage from starvation.
A werewolf can resist shifting into hybrid form by making a DC 15 will save (a free action), which it must make every round, and the DC increases by one each round.
(Finer details are up to the individual DM)

Werewolves require three times as much food as a normal creature of their race.

Most werewolves are CE or CN, but can be of any alignment.

Any humanoid creature (without an existing template) that has taken any damage from any of a werewolves' natural weapons will become a werewolf on the first night of the next full moon, unless they succeed with any of the precautions listed in the MM under "Curing Lycanthropy".

A child born from a werewolf parent becomes a werewolf upon becoming an adolescent, unless a remove curse spell is cast upon them during a full moon. However, these "natural" werewolves must succeed on a DC 25 will save to break the curse.

BWR
2013-11-20, 02:19 PM
Fan of W:tA/W:tF?

Why does human form get ability bonuses? Why does the hybrid form get twice the bonus of either 'pure' form? Wouldn't it be more sensible to have the humanoid form have no stat bonuses, the animal form to have the base animal's stat bonuses and the hybrid to have half of the base animal's stat bonuses, round down?
In W:tA it would make sense because the hybrid form is designed for war, but unless there is some fluff you haven't shared I don't see any reason for the hybrid form to grant so many bonuses and be so much better than the others and be limited in duration.
Why Improved Grab? Wolves aren't known for grappling.

Why Rend? Wolves aren't known for their claw attacks. Sure, werewolves in other fiction usually get claws, but I don't see that they should have Rend.

What is Improved Claws? Is it supposedto be Improved Natural Attack (claw)? If so, why not (bite)? Based on canines I'd find it far more sensible that they focus on their bite, not claws.

Why Pounce, which is basically what this "2 claw attacks on charge" is? Again, nothing that is traditionally associated with wolves (except when they hunt rodents, but nothing that is reflected in d20 rules)

I assume you ignore racial HD for this, but what sort of LA did you have in mind?

Eladrinblade
2013-11-20, 03:03 PM
I don't know what W:tA/W:tF is...

Anyway, this is based off the werewolves in skyrim, who have an awesome hybrid battle form that focuses on claws and charging claw attacks. So, that's where those come from.

The human form gets bonuses for two reasons:
1. I think they should. I see werewolves as vigorous, physical people.
2. Game balance. If you only get bonuses in animal/hybrid form, then this is definitely more of a curse.

Improved Claws is Improved Natural Attack (Claw). I always shorten feats/skills like that when I write them down. I'll go back and edit that.

Yes, I ignore racial HD. I've never liked it. As for LA, I'm not sure; I'm guessing +2. I really don't think it's worth more than two class levels.

I would add a point of CR to a werewolf, and I'd add two or more if the werewolf only has NPC classes.

Just to Browse
2013-11-20, 03:17 PM
Werewolf: the Apocalypse (WtA) and Werewolf: the Forsaken (WtF) are both World of Darkness (WoD) games made by White Wolf (WW) Game Studio.

That's a lot of acronyms.

This werewolf as-written is a ball of physical death, a strong improvement to any DM-generated monster because it gives +6 on combat maneuvers (and makes the good ones better), grants more damage, and it's "restriction" is basically what closet trolls and bruisers would do anyways. Definitely worth more than +2 CR for appropriate creatures it gets applied to.

It's bad for PCs because it gets LA, the awesome stuff is only usable once per day, and it suffers the Frenzied Berserker problem. Since the werewolf modification sees almost all of its use a a Boss Monster(tm) or PC option, this template definitely can see some room for improvement.

That said, it is notably better for both PCs and monsters than the original were-creature template which was full of suck and fail. That's good.

Eladrinblade
2013-11-20, 04:24 PM
This werewolf as-written is a ball of physical death, a strong improvement to any DM-generated monster because it gives +6 on combat maneuvers (and makes the good ones better), grants more damage, and it's "restriction" is basically what closet trolls and bruisers would do anyways. Definitely worth more than +2 CR for appropriate creatures it gets applied to.

Ehh...the human/animal form is worth +1 CR, yes, and the hybrid form is much more powerful, yes, but with it's limited duration and drawbacks....I don't think it hits that second CR mark. Remember that this template can only be applied to humanoids who don't already have a template, and that the hybrid form cannot use or wear items of any kind.

It's bad for PCs because it gets LA, the awesome stuff is only usable once per day, and it suffers the Frenzied Berserker problem. Since the werewolf modification sees almost all of its use a a Boss Monster(tm) or PC option, this template definitely can see some room for improvement.

LA is inevitable. *shrugs*

The good stuff being usable once per day...I don't know how to change that without seriously ramping up the power of this template (and ridding it of it's "curse" status). The whole uncontrollable aspect needs to stay, IMO.

That said, it is notably better for both PCs and monsters than the original were-creature template which was full of suck and fail. That's good.

Well hey, at least I'm going in the right direction. :smallsmile: