PDA

View Full Version : PLOT (Erfworld 16)

Darth Paradox
2007-01-11, 07:41 PM
Well, there he goes. And the power of narrative ensures that Wanda's spell fired at the most dramatic moment possible.

Obviously it's her spell - the blue flash and trace corresponds to the blue color of the scroll - the blue of the Findamancer.

This is where things get... interesting.

(Also? "Dibs on his dice." "Damn you." - hilarious.)

Sky_Schemer
2007-01-11, 07:42 PM
Well. I guess that answers that question. Not that we didn't already expect, but still...

And that "first time he's followed through" line got a good laugh out of me. :smallsmile:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-11, 07:43 PM
"Dibs on his dice"? Oh, that's awesome!

Well, it looks like my prediction came true!

Predictible Plot Twists: 1
Random Funny Crap: 15

Mr Wizard
2007-01-11, 07:44 PM
PLOT

A power not to be underestimated.

That was a good comic.:smallbiggrin:

Mr_Saturn
2007-01-11, 07:44 PM
I actualy laughed on this one, keep it up erfworld. :biggrin:

ElfLad
2007-01-11, 07:45 PM
I saw this coming for a week, but it was still funny.

Jorkens
2007-01-11, 07:45 PM
I don't normally actually laugh out loud at comics, but I just couldn't resist the ultra-deadpan last panel of this episode.

Oh, and *PLOT* is a great sound effect.

LunaWolvesMan
2007-01-11, 07:47 PM
DANGIT! I laughed so much at "But this is the first one I've ever seen him follow through on." that I had to log in from work and actually tag a reply in here.

Keep up the excellent work guys.:smallsmile:

mport2004
Lol that was great

Vazzaroth
Well, i didn't see it coming until the last couple panels. The "dobs on his dice" made me laugh, becuse me and my freinds do that sort of thing all the time.

As soon as anyone mentions wills or dying, we all race to say "I get his books!"

Khantalas
2007-01-11, 07:51 PM
Hey! No one calls dibs on my dice!

Mr Wizard
2007-01-11, 07:53 PM
PLOT!

Dibs on the dice.

That was very good. :D

Rambi
2007-01-11, 07:54 PM
That was several diffrent types of sweet! My friends always call dibs when things like that happen... minus the glowyness...

Glyde
2007-01-11, 07:55 PM
*snap* PLOT!

Awesome. I'm getting more hooked every strip, keep it up!

mikeejimbo
2007-01-11, 07:57 PM
Glad to see the prediction came true, it should be interesting.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-11, 07:59 PM
PLOT ....

... heh, okay that was pretty good. Some see it as a sound effect, I took it as a direct message to me personally. Kinda like, hey Sebastian ... see this panel? This is the plot!

Well, you did promise it was in there somewhere. :smallsmile:

Not .. um, that I was still reading Erfworld or .. uh, anything.

Sebastian

P.S. Really, I did laugh ... now THAT's funny!

Mewtroid
2007-01-11, 08:01 PM
I never, ever laugh out loud. 'Cept for this.

I mean, PLOT? Win.

Wallyz
2007-01-11, 08:02 PM
Friggan Awesome. How fast did he get into the game?

Speed of Plot.

EmeraldRose
2007-01-11, 08:12 PM
*PLOT*
What an awesome sound effect! Heh! :smallbiggrin: Dibs on the dice! I smiled and laughed aloud with this one!!! So did my husband!

Furin_Mirado
2007-01-11, 08:15 PM
HaHa! Best...Update...Yet

I saw it coming, but the PLOT sound effect plus the 'dibs on his dice' line made it so funny.

TinSoldier
2007-01-11, 08:22 PM
That was different. And funny!

I love how all of his friends were totally nonchalant about him disappearing like that.

Ask, and ye shall receive! (Or should it be, "Be careful what you wish for"?)

dauvis
2007-01-11, 08:26 PM
I have to give a thumbs on this one. Good job :smallbiggrin:

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-11, 08:31 PM
You know...you could see it coming from a mile off, and yet, it was still awesome.

In the panel where he disappears, doesn't it look like he's one of the generic people from PBF?

IronSoldier820
2007-01-11, 08:32 PM
The "Dibs on his dice" is the best line in all of the Erfworld comics by far.

fwiffo
Is this the part where out hero is going to encounter an old bard named Iolo?

Hart av Srednak
This got me laughting.. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: both to comic and irony.

Irony being me starting thread about homebrew startegy game at games forum. I'd just written that I've been working with strategy game for nine months. So I submit this thread and see that new Erf has appeared:

:smalleek: : five months
:smallconfused: : you really live for this, don't you?
:smallannoyed: : you have no idea

****rofl ****

PS that also killed like half of my speculations :smallfrown:

Sir_Faust
2007-01-11, 08:39 PM
Incredible strip you just posted man. It made do more than laugh; it made me realize just how much I'm like parson.
Not to mention the great deadpan humor. It's my favorite so far!
keep it up Jami, and pclips.

Tabiani
2007-01-11, 08:42 PM
"Dibs on his dice."

That's the first joke in this strip that has actually made me laugh out loud. Be interesting to see his reaction when he finds out he's actually teleported in.

"Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. :smallbiggrin:

zeruslord
2007-01-11, 09:27 PM
Best strip yet. The last two really just died all the wierdness of the first set into sheer brilliance. Tcotchkes and cloth golems all start makling brilliant sense-the units in the game are being labeled by what they're represented by, like playtest names. and I called dibs first

Syous
2007-01-11, 09:32 PM
"Because my life sucks!"
"So... I game."

Kinda remind me of myself :annoyed:

you have no idea
Really

The_Old_Fox
2007-01-11, 09:33 PM
Like many I found "PLOT" to be far to awesome for words.

Even though we could see this coming I particularly enjoyed this page.

However, am I the only one who wonders what Parson will look like in the traditional Erfworld art style?

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-01-11, 09:35 PM
Question though, WIll his drawing change or what?

MinusInnocence
2007-01-11, 09:39 PM
Question though, WIll his drawing change or what?What do you mean?

Do you mean the artistic style of Erfworld? In other stories like this the visual style seems to match what the artist created precisely; this is always one of the first clues as to what has just happened. It would be interesting, though, to see the world change this way or that depending on how Lord Hamster (as he will likely be called from now on) is feeling. I doubt the authors will go that route, though, because it doesn't really match their style of humor.

Or do you mean that the masterpiece is altered by the artist's fusion with it in some metaphysical sense? I don't know how to answer that.

Demented
2007-01-11, 09:40 PM
So... who's going to update Hamstard now?

Epiphanis
2007-01-11, 09:49 PM
Zeruslord wrote:
"Tcotchkes and cloth golems all start makling brilliant sense-the units in the game are being labeled by what they're represented by, like playtest names."

Ugh. If that's true, I don't want to play in a game with one of Sizemore's Crap Golems on the table!

Mr Teufel
2007-01-11, 09:51 PM
I just spent five minutes howling with laughter, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"PLOT"

Why is this so cool? Because not only is it a 4th wall breaking pun masquerading as onomatopoeia; it tells us the author doesn't think we're fools - he know's we're expecting this. It's a webcomic with a forum... we're gonna analyse it to death, and he knows it.

Erfworld had just become my favourite comic... well, equal with OotS.

Xiander
2007-01-11, 09:55 PM
Nice comic! keep it comming :)

Am i the only one thinking Ashna still has some role to play?

Duffren
2007-01-11, 09:56 PM
Im surprised the spell worked with all the corners Stanley cut.

MinusInnocence
2007-01-11, 10:12 PM
Ashna is a hottie wit body. Her role to play should be to find new friends, these jokers are bringing her down.

And re: Stanley's utter lack of credibility as a ruler... maybe the spell didn't work. It seems like Lord Hamster SHOULD be the ideal warlord but maybe he's not all he's cracked up to be.

Thunt
2007-01-11, 10:22 PM
But who will update his webcomic!?! WHO?!

Oh, won't someone PLEASE think of the webcomic!

Dunx
2007-01-11, 10:40 PM
That was exquisite.

I've seen "PLOT" used as a sound effect exactly once before [1], but not so perfectly appropriately.

Wonderful.

(and yes I created an account just so I could post this)

--
Dunx

[1] in the Thrud the Barbarian strip in White Dwarf in the late 80s. This particular page consisted solely of the eponymous barbarian laying about him in a bar brawl, SPLATs and KERPOWs aplenty as stunned combatants slammed into walls and windows. In the penultimate panel the author (for he was wont to draw himself into the strip occasionally) said "Well, that takes care of the violence. Now for the plot." In the last panel Thrud crushes one bar patron with another bar patron with the sound effect PLOT.

Like I say, this one was much better.

dakiwiboid
2007-01-11, 10:51 PM
What do you mean?.

I'll bet that what's intended is exactly what I was wondering. Will Parson be drawn differently?

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-11, 10:54 PM
Man, Parson is like the "super-geek turned unsuspecting hero" character I've been wanting to write for ages now. Of course it's probably an idea as old as gaming fiction, but I'd still feel too cheap if I used it after this....

NOT gonna point at Thunt at do a fanboi scream, NOT gonna point...

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-11, 10:57 PM
Is this the part where out hero is going to encounter an old bard named Iolo?
Parson doesn't strike me as a very Avataring fellow.

Grey Watcher
2007-01-11, 11:07 PM
An excellent comic. The timing and understatement was just great.

SteveMB
2007-01-11, 11:29 PM
Best strip yet. The last two really just died all the wierdness of the first set into sheer brilliance. Tcotchkes and cloth golems all start makling brilliant sense-the units in the game are being labeled by what they're represented by, like playtest names. and I called dibs first

The cutesy spellings also start to make sense -- as a touch of Parsonian sarcasm.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-01-11, 11:37 PM
Ok, finally Erfworld hits.

Best, onomatopoeia, ever.

Umael
2007-01-11, 11:43 PM
Some jokes, even if you see it coming, are worth the wait.

Frankly, I think this particular comic strip is the cornerstone of interest, the hook that will get readers. It comes in a bit late (#16), but there are a lot of webcomics and stories that have required more patience than that to get to the good stuff.

Terran Medic
2007-01-11, 11:45 PM
That was definitely the best and funniest erfworld yet.

I play DnD alot so "Dibs on his Dice" killed me

Also, anyone notice that the white thing in panel 4 closely resembles a wii?

Toric
2007-01-11, 11:45 PM
Woot! Character exposition, plot movement, and funny quips, all in one package! A very good combo, indeed, and I just can't wait for the next comic to see both what Lord Hamster looks like and how the Erfworld denizens react to him.

Norsesmithy
2007-01-11, 11:47 PM
Delicious, I admit to not following the Erfworld forum, or overanalysing it, so I didn't see it coming, but it nicely reversed a situation I feared was going to start becoming downer and booring.

Peregrine
2007-01-11, 11:54 PM
I never, ever laugh out loud. 'Cept for this.

I mean, PLOT? Win.

What he said. :biggrin: And 'Dibs on his dice.' 'Damn you.' also had me laughing.

We're just being spoilt with the awesome from this site. Both comics.

Alex Star
2007-01-11, 11:56 PM
That was awesome... I mean.. truly awesome...

'DIBS ON HIS DICE'

Jacklu
2007-01-12, 12:00 AM
This comic was awesome! I loved the *PLOT* sound affect and the dibs on his dice part was perfect. Of course, I wonder if what will become of his ps2 and what appears to be a wii. hmmm...

tgva8889
2007-01-12, 12:01 AM
Best joke ever. Loved this comic. Keep up the good work, please!

PLOT!

"Dibs on his dice."

TinSoldier
2007-01-12, 12:15 AM

Oh, won't someone PLEASE think of the webcomic!Good thing that no one can post in his forum, otherwise they would be constantly complaining about his lateness, eh?

:biggrin:

Winged One
2007-01-12, 01:07 AM
Best, onomatopoeia, ever.

Change those commas to periods and you have exactly what I was going to post.

Also, Do you think that the spell caught him at that moment by design(of the spell, obviously it was by the design of the plot); at a time when he was saying that his fondest wish was to be the target of the spell?

McBish
2007-01-12, 01:15 AM
This was my favorite one yet. I really enjoy this comic.

Kalir
2007-01-12, 01:16 AM
Re-read the comic once after enjoying the whole "PLOT" sound effect.

The second time, my mind changed it to "NUMA".

How will our world-weary protagonist (I mean that in almost every sense of the phrase) react to this?

erewhon
2007-01-12, 01:44 AM
I just spent five minutes howling with laughter, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"PLOT"

Why is this so cool? Because not only is it a 4th wall breaking pun masquerading as onomatopeia; it tells us the author doesn't think we're fools - he know's we're expecting this. It's a webcomic with a forum... we're gonna analyse it to death, and he knows it.

Erfworld had just become my favourite comic... well, equal with OotS.

What he said.

Folks, this isn't just good, this is AWESOME.

The Giant's Playground now has two top-notch comics. Excellent. :D

Drascin
2007-01-12, 02:00 AM
Okay, *PLOT!* is one of the best onomatopoeias EVER, right there with *TELEPORT NOISE! (possibly bamf)* from Goblins. I'm not one to be amused easily, but that managed to make me laugh. Awaiting eagerly for next strip ^^.

Druid
2007-01-12, 02:06 AM
Somehow I missed the giant PLOT the first time I read it. Now I feel dumb.

Sarge.Ludicrous
2007-01-12, 02:12 AM
The forth wall was made to be broken.

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-12, 02:26 AM
I think that's one of the best so far. It was great.

Tekren
2007-01-12, 02:46 AM
Eposition on our new warlord: Good
Having him removed from his existance at the speed (and sound) of Plot: Awesome
His friends calling dibs on his dice: Classic

Buildup of 15 pages to get to this (admittidly fantastic) page:hmmm....

Don't get me wrong. I'm a VERY forgiving reader, and read through every strip in the local funny pages.(except mark trail, that has no comedy whatsoever) I LIKE Erfworld. I'm just not sure if everyone else is willing to wait 15 decent pages for 1 fantastic one.

Hopefully, the fatasticness(new word!) has just begun.

... after some thought, the fanatsticness(If 'dubya' can do it, so can I) is once about every seven or so. The Ancient tool of the Ancients turns walnuts into pidgens? Comedy.

Well, at least I think it's comedy.

TheAnimal
2007-01-12, 02:56 AM
"Just snap my fingers and teleport in? Absolutely. Bam! Seeya."
*PLOT!*

Pure gold. :biggrin:

Enoch_6211
2007-01-12, 03:13 AM
i'm not gonna lie, i started out a bit skeptical of erfworld. this strip definately dragged me in. i'm now on the bandwagon and here for the long haul...

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-01-12, 03:16 AM
*PLOT*

That's just great! It actually is the sort of noise a person instantly magically vacating their universe might make, too.

Oh yeah - to the "Erfworld is too slow and I don't get it" people:
We were warned this wasn't a gag-a-page comic - I've found the best way to read it is in batches, rather than each page as it comes out. It flows as a story from panel to panel, not page to page.

Idris
2007-01-12, 03:24 AM
originally posted by Tekren
I'm just not sure if everyone else is willing to wait 15 decent pages for 1 fantastic one.

I didn't feel like that at all - the first strips left me a bit puzzled but it's been growing on me the whole time, although it was the real-world strips that made me sit up and take notice. I read through again from the beginning and that's when I realised how damned good it was.

this last is the cherry on the icing though - it's funny, ironic, and Parson is great - the sad geek who does all his living inside his head because the world doesn't often reward his kind of brilliance.

Erfworld is now up there along with OotS and Goblins as the comics I have to read :biggrin:

Fenix
2007-01-12, 04:51 AM
*plot*

Omg :))))))

teratorn
2007-01-12, 05:01 AM
What really cracks me up is that he is going to be on the side of all that is vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable. I think that if I were in his shoes I probably wouldn't mind if that meant I could date Wanda.

Not everything was good though. I third these two comments

So... who's going to update Hamstard now?

Oh, won't someone PLEASE think of the webcomic!

But the worst was this comment from TinSoldier (happy birthday by the way)

Good thing that no one can post in his forum, otherwise they would be constantly complaining about his lateness, eh?

We can not post in that forum???? What the...

Xaspian
2007-01-12, 05:08 AM
That was definitely the best and funniest erfworld yet.

I play DnD alot so "Dibs on his Dice" killed me

Also, anyone notice that the white thing in panel 4 closely resembles a wii?

I said it was a Wii! The nunchuck is in front of the main console, and connected by a wire to the main remote.
You can't deny that it's a Wii now! Aha!

*ahem*
"A condemned hole. For squatter hobbits".
That alone would have made this a good strip. But all the rest...
Thank You. And Well Done.

Nerd_Paladin
2007-01-12, 05:13 AM
Oh..my...god...can't...stop...laughing!

That's by far the funniest Erfworld, in fact, one of the funniest things I've seen in months, and that's counting that montage of clips from "The Wicker Man" that's floating around YouTube ("My eyes, my eyes!!!").

Mystery_Cat
2007-01-12, 05:20 AM
All other jokes aside - and there're a lot of good ones - look at the first frame. 'Dibs on his dice' is wearing a Kippah (if that's the correct term) with the bloodstained Watchmen smiley on it... :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-01-12, 05:49 AM
I've been wondering what that yellow thing was. Half the time it couldn't be seen on the guy's head.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-12, 06:32 AM
OK, I feel I must comment.

I loved this comic. It has some funnies, and some significant plot development (as opposed to scene setting, which is what we've had up until know - in the large part).

I know we all saw strategy boy becoming the warlord, but that's only due to the weekly page format. After all, we saw it coming by, what, a page? That's a pretty big suprise if we'd had the whole book.

Anyhow, I think Erfworld's starting to hit its stride. I'll be watching!

Om
2007-01-12, 06:59 AM
Oh well executed. Very well executed. It takes something special to take a twist that most people saw coming and turn it into a gem like that.

I said it was a Wii! The nunchuck is in front of the main console, and connected by a wire to the main remote.
You can't deny that it's a Wii now! Aha!
*Waves hand*

This is not the Wii you're looking for...

Nad
2007-01-12, 07:00 AM
Hope you don't mind me using the PLOT sound effect in my game, my players could use it! :smallsmile:

On a side note, FINALLY a story where the character isn't going to be trying to get home! I'm sure he'll miss his friends but as we can tell, he pretty much designed the PCs around them anyway.

The real problem is now that he's in the game... who's going to update his webcomic?!?!?! :smalleek:

zeratul
2007-01-12, 07:21 AM
this changed my opinio on erfworld, i didnt like it that mutch befor but in the last four comics it's gotten realy good. i realy understood the "I game because my life sucks" thing.

charles
2007-01-12, 07:58 AM
I have this image of Wanda in my head, unrolling the very expensive, MASSIVE spell scroll and finding it to be a single power word...

PLOT
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html

jlawson382
2007-01-12, 08:03 AM
Ahhhhhh - so that's what a plot device sounds like. I always wondered...

:smallbiggrin:

Om
2007-01-12, 08:05 AM
You know, I wonder how Parson is going to react to leading the "vile and unholy" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0015.html) hordes against all that is "noble and decent".

hewhosaysfish
2007-01-12, 08:28 AM
You know, I wonder how Parson is going to react to leading the "vile and unholy" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0015.html) hordes against all that is "noble and decent".

I think (once he gets over the culture-shock... reality-shock...) he'll be too intrigued by the stategic complexities of taking command of this out-numbered, out-maneuvred, surrounded, economically crippled force. The fact that they are meant to be vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable, probably won't phase him much (especially as in the mockingly twee environment he has designed on Erfworld) as the aren't actually that bad, from what we've seen.

TheAnimal
2007-01-12, 08:45 AM
Ahhhhhh - so that's what a plot device sounds like. I always wondered...

:smallbiggrin:
What a shameless Batman rip-off. :annoyed:

Harr
2007-01-12, 08:53 AM
Good strip. Now, if this had been the first strip for Erfworld, followed afterwards by all the passive/slowish background and setting pages, the authors would have saved themselves a whole lot of unneeded criticism and grief.

Always remember one of the classic rules of good game-mastering: Lead with the cool stuff (http://www.treasuretables.org/2005/08/lead-with-the-cool-stuff). With Erfworld the authors tried to make the readers wait through the world history to get to the cool stuff, and the result was much the same as when a dungeon master tries to do the same thing to his players.

Anyway, looking forward to a good fish-out-water adventure now, and that's nothing but good I guess.

jami
2007-01-12, 09:17 AM
Good strip. Now, if this had been the first strip for Erfworld, followed afterwards by all the passive/slowish background and setting pages, the authors would have saved themselves a whole lot of unneeded criticism and grief.

Always remember one of the classic rules of good game-mastering: Lead with the cool stuff (http://www.treasuretables.org/2005/08/lead-with-the-cool-stuff). With Erfworld the authors tried to make the readers wait through the world history to get to the cool stuff, and the result was much the same as when a dungeon master tries to do the same thing to his players.

Anyway, looking forward to a good fish-out-water adventure now, and that's nothing but good I guess.

In the immortal words of cultural scholars, Bevis and Butthead:

"You gotta have stuff that sucks to have stuff that's cool! Ehheee hehehhe."

Eldhrin
2007-01-12, 09:23 AM
Wonderful! I laughed out loud for quite a while.

Gamebird
2007-01-12, 10:17 AM
No real message, just saying, that's all.

teratorn
2007-01-12, 10:26 AM
Not really, the authors would just have gotten a different kind of criticism and grief. I confess that I got a kick from many of the critics. They were so candid in their "hatred" of the strip. The passion in some of those nasty remarks made me save a few of them.

With Erfworld the authors tried to make the readers wait through the world history to get to the cool stuff, and the result was much the same as when a dungeon master tries to do the same thing to his players.
It's a question of taste. I was immediately drawn to the strip, the view of the dwagon on the top of page three is still my favorite moment in the strip. I did enjoy the setup, in fact I'm almost sure I would have been less impressed if the story had started like this. And the summoning, as it is, is way more dramatic.The shock of seeing that loser (well I'm not that much better) sucked into the game, now that I'm already attached to Wanda, is an order of magnitude higher. It would be interesting to have a comment from someone who just started reading Erfworld now, and went through the 16 strips. My guess is that they would flow perfectly.

TinSoldier
2007-01-12, 10:28 AM
But the worst was this comment from TinSoldier (happy birthday by the way)Thanks!

We can not post in that forum???? What the...Well, it's not like the author will be reading it since he has been transported to another reality and all...

There is a thread on this forum somewhere about hamstard.com

In the immortal words of cultural scholars, Bevis and Butthead:

"You gotta have stuff that sucks to have stuff that's cool! Ehheee hehehhe."Heh. Heh. Heh. I love that album!

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-12, 10:43 AM
I like the expression of the guy on the end when Parson disappears (I don't think the guy has a name yet, but the one with the Jewish headgear). Sheer amazement. That is, of course, added to the long list of other amazingness that was this strip. (Hee hee hee. Squatter Hobbits. Genius.) Good job Rob, keep it up.

AngryGreek
2007-01-12, 11:16 AM
It actually earned a chuckle from me. Not a full out laugh, but a chuckle, and a chuckle is pretty good. I'll admit that PLOT was perfect, and 'dibs on his dice' was beyond funny, I could just imagine the size of this wad's dicebag. Also humourous for me is the fact that I know someone almost exactly like parson.

Toric
2007-01-12, 11:22 AM
Heh, I just noticed. It's not every day that a protagonist realizes he's being set up for a monologue, and then goes through a monologue anyway. Nice.

Alex Star
2007-01-12, 11:30 AM
I think the only line that would have been better would be the one that every geek would have actually said moments after he stopped talking and disappeared... LOL I know this because I can count that at least 2 or 3 of the people in my gaming group would say the exact same thing.

"That wasn't a soliloquy, it was an exterior monologue..."

the_tick_rules
2007-01-12, 12:11 PM
dibs on his dice, someone write that done. That should be in the gamer hall of fame.

Lisp
2007-01-12, 12:43 PM
I just wanted to add Thanks for Erfworld, I saw alot of comments and naysayers at first, but I think it grows on
you and you have to give it a chance. I want old Parsons
to suceed and can see the Geek in the Mirror effect that
will endear this Comic to me.

Its also easy to see the "EVIL" side in this is obviously the
Strawberry wearing carebear weilding blonde wannabee's
Death to the carebears, Hope Gotti can be a ruthless and
good a warlord when its actually counting, his ample Buttocks upon the line so to speak.

Lots of potential and look forward to more Erfworld. Hamstard was a nice touche.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-12, 01:22 PM
I do think it's interesting that a lot of people say it's "too soon" to say that Erfworld is a bad comic and yet, it's not too soon to call it a good one. It's certainly an interesting double standard...

Someone let me know how it all turns out.

orcmonk89
2007-01-12, 01:31 PM
That was the only Erfworld that made me laugh out loud. Let's hope they continue like this from now...

Though I got a scary glimpse of my not-so-distant future life. :O

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2007-01-12, 02:10 PM
Oh *snap*.

Oh come on, someone was bound to say it.

Manga Shoggoth
2007-01-12, 02:11 PM
Man! This is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for"!

I really don't think that Wanda is going to be all that happy about the results of the spell. At least Bogroll isn't going to be the largest character any more...

TheFool76
2007-01-12, 02:38 PM
You think Wanda is going to be cranky?

Just think of what Lord Stanley is going to do. Remember, he was promoting his previous warlords based on physical attractiveness, a quality that our fat friend is somewhat lacking in.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-01-12, 02:48 PM
I do think it's interesting that a lot of people say it's "too soon" to say that Erfworld is a bad comic and yet, it's not too soon to call it a good one. It's certainly an interesting double standard...

Hi, welcome to The Internet.

I assume you haven't been here before so let me give you a brief overview. Here we engorge ourselves on foolish inconsistency and hypocrisy. Sit down, have a heaping bowl of fanboyism topped with a light sour grapes dressing. We pride ourselves on our whine selection, though the transformers fan whine is excellent this year. We have live entertainment every night, which usually gets recorded and redistributed illegal, our most popular band being a local group called "The Flaming Trolls". So just sit back, relax, and remember: The Internet is Serious Buisness.

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-01-12, 03:02 PM
ROFL!!!!

this one really made me laugh... i think i will enjoy this webcomic =)

mhoram
2007-01-12, 03:35 PM

I suspect what they mean by 'too soon' is 'shut up and sit down, we're trying to listen.' I could be wrong though. I haven't read/posted before today, so I didn't notice the rude noises.

The thing about something useful to you? You know it's useful. The thing about something useless to you? It's a lot harder to tell whether it's useful to someone else. Unless you think everyone else has the same needs as you.
TEXT REMOVED
Voice of mod: please keep it civil. Hypothetical namecalling is still namecalling.

Gedrean
2007-01-12, 04:25 PM
Hypothetical namecalling eh. Hehe.

Anyhow, "PLOT" is sheer WIN.
Any other style tricks I can apply to that word to make it more clear? Hee.

Also I feel kinda sorry for Parson... He's... he's a sympathetic protagonist. He's disgusting and revolting but you have to feel for him. <G>

AngryGreek
2007-01-12, 04:31 PM
Hypothetical namecalling eh. Hehe.

Anyhow, "PLOT" is sheer WIN.
Any other style tricks I can apply to that word to make it more clear? Hee.

Also I feel kinda sorry for Parson... He's... he's a sympathetic protagonist. He's disgusting and revolting but you have to feel for him. <G>

Yeah, well, if he stops updating Hamstard, someone's going to need to feel REAL sorry for him.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-12, 04:32 PM
My thoughts exactly, clearly he is the perfect general that the spell summoned.

Gamebird
2007-01-12, 04:47 PM

Hahaha! I agree.

Grungydan
2007-01-12, 04:52 PM
Ugh. I accidentally clicked to view Erfworld just now. (Who in the nine hells' idea was it that it should be above OOTS? Or is it dynamic by last post? I haven't noticed yet.)

It actually almost interested me. I read the first couple of panels of 16, and wondered if all of the (IMO blah blah etc) lame stuff that made me dislike the comic from 1-8 was just in this Parsons guy's head; a lead in to a story about people, gaming, obsession, whatever. That might have been interesting. But wait.

So I skipped back a few to see where the people started (I didn't have to go far...) and took a quick look. My main thought was

"Okay, I wonder if I can start reading with the intro of (what I initially though were) the people "behind" the silly game that was being played, and not need to read the annoying stuff in between where I stopped and where the people start."

So I read 15, then went back to 16 to finish it out. And BAM. Instantly lame again. Ugh, double ugh. "Oh looky, the real person gets thrown into a game world blah blah."

Hey, at least I tried.

AngryGreek
2007-01-12, 05:06 PM
Sulu, translate please!

Wallyz
2007-01-12, 05:26 PM
Hi, welcome to The Internet.

I assume you haven't been here before so let me give you a brief overview. Here we engorge ourselves on foolish inconsistency and hypocrisy. Sit down, have a heaping bowl of fanboyism topped with a light sour grapes dressing. We pride ourselves on our whine selection, though the transformers fan whine is excellent this year. We have live entertainment every night, which usually gets recorded and redistributed illegal, our most popular band being a local group called "The Flaming Trolls". So just sit back, relax, and remember: The Internet is Serious Buisness.

BWAAHHA HAA!

EntilZha
2007-01-12, 05:30 PM
That guy's Lord Stanley's new warlord?? OMG, I can't wait to see what happens next! :smallbiggrin:

Om
2007-01-12, 05:30 PM
Hey, at least I tried.
Well aren't you a saint. Be careful about exerting yourself though, we don't want a martyr on our hands.

Tell me though, at what point in this amazing journey of self-discovery did you decide that you would run over to the forum and tell the world and his wife about your amazing discovery? Personally I'm delighted that you did because the very idea that I might remain ignorant about Erfworld's brief but eventful ascent into mediocrity, before plunging back into the black crushing depths of "lameness", is frankly too shocking and disturbing to even contemplate.

Thankfully we have a constant trope of the likes of yourself and Sebastian (or has he left?) who are willing to dedicate such Herculean efforts to ensure that everyone knows that you think Erfworld is "lame". I for one shall rest easier tonight knowing that brave souls such as yourself are standing vigilant, with egos armed, ready to take up the cause of delivering unadulterated unconstructive criticism whenever needed.

Wallyz
2007-01-12, 05:31 PM
I <3 Om

YARLY.

Aquillion
2007-01-12, 05:51 PM
I thought that this page did a good job of setting him up as a sympathetic character, too. He's a loser, but at least he knows he's a loser and doesn't try to make excuses for it. The fact that his friends care about him (well, a little, aside from the jokes about his dice) speaks well for him, too.

And was I the only one who thought that the panel just before he PLOT-ed out managed to make him look slightly badass for a moment? Up until that point, I found it hard to see him as anything but a comical general, but somehow that shot made him look like he might actually cut it as a warlord and not just as a strategiest.

I do think that the problems with casting the spell are a literary device so Wanda et all can doubt his generaling-ability, though. If the spell had been cast by professionals, they wouldn't have had any choice but to accept that he's the perfect general; but since Wanda was casting a spell outside her specialty, she's likely to be much more doubtful about him, especially when she sees what she's gotten.

Grungydan
2007-01-12, 05:53 PM
Lol. Sorry to have mortally offended you so, oh great one. Or, wait...have I been pwned? (Is that still the parlance?)

I love rabid fanboyism, it's cute.

I didn't come to repeatedly slam, knock, etc. the comic. Go ahead and run a search. You'll see that this is probably my third (maybe fourth?) post related to it at all. I merely tried to read the comic again, found I still didn't like it, and thought I'd share. As far as whether you find that valid or worthwhile, well, I don't really care.

So blast away, o' pwning winner of the internet.

Mr Teufel
2007-01-12, 06:35 PM
@ Grungydan: Ok, we get that you don't like it. Different humour is for different people. kthxbye.

I reckon Parson is going to turn up in Erf looking just like Hamstard. So we'll get our Hamstard comic, but it will be set in Erfworld.

TinSoldier
2007-01-12, 06:40 PM
I reckon Parson is going to turn up in Erf looking just like Hamstard. So we'll get our Hamstard comic, but it will be set in Erfworld.That's kind of been my opinion too. And I think someone mentioned possibly a picture of Parson on his t-shirt (instead of one of Hamstard)...

Alchemistmerlin
2007-01-12, 07:11 PM
Well aren't you a saint. Be careful about exerting yourself though, we don't want a martyr on our hands.

Tell me though, at what point in this amazing journey of self-discovery did you decide that you would run over to the forum and tell the world and his wife about your amazing discovery? Personally I'm delighted that you did because the very idea that I might remain ignorant about Erfworld's brief but eventful ascent into mediocrity, before plunging back into the black crushing depths of "lameness", is frankly too shocking and disturbing to even contemplate.

Thankfully we have a constant trope of the likes of yourself and Sebastian (or has he left?) who are willing to dedicate such Herculean efforts to ensure that everyone knows that you think Erfworld is "lame". I for one shall rest easier tonight knowing that brave souls such as yourself are standing vigilant, with egos armed, ready to take up the cause of delivering unadulterated unconstructive criticism whenever needed.

You know, I like Erfworld, really I do.

But the fans are starting to piss me off. People don't have to like this comic folks, and they are allowed to come here and say they don't like it. This is not the Erfworld forums, it is the Giant in the Playground forums and a lot of people come here for other reasons, while they are here they may decided to comment on the fact that they think Erfworld is bad, and they're allowed to say as such.

Frankly, while I enjoy the comic, it is a sub-par webcomic at this point. Order of the Stick, Real Life, Shortpacked, Ugly Hill, Least I Could Do, are all brilliant webcomics and Erfworld is hard-pressed to live up to the competition they present. Given time, it may grow and rival them, but for now it is just a "decent" webcomic and there are going to be a lot of people that dislike it. Stop acting like the people who choose to express that fact are somehow beneath you.

Thunt
2007-01-12, 07:39 PM
I just want to see more. :smallsmile:

Jorkens
2007-01-12, 07:49 PM
But the fans are starting to piss me off.

I think people got rather defensive in the first week or so after some fairly rude abuse, and haven't quite resumed the usual tolerance yet. That said...

People don't have to like this comic folks, and they are allowed to come here and say they don't like it.
People don't have to like my face, but if someone crossed the street to tell me that they didn't, I'd probably think they were a bit of an arse.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-01-12, 07:59 PM
I think people got rather defensive in the first week or so after some fairly rude abuse, and haven't quite resumed the usual tolerance yet. That said...

People don't have to like my face, but if someone crossed the street to tell me that they didn't, I'd probably think they were a bit of an arse.

Yes but your face isn't the topic of a public forum, specifically a public forum on someone else's website. If it were I would feel perfectly justified in talking about how much I dislike your face there.

Grug
2007-01-12, 08:08 PM
I especially liked how Parson went from cool and smug in the first panel, to almost doeful in the third, to downright villanous in the seventh. I admit that it's the third panel that made me respect and like Parson.

Xiander
2007-01-12, 08:11 PM
Really i think i am going to stop visiting this forum. I will read the comic as long as it amuses me, which it has until now.
I don't much care for the general oppinion, and the fact that some people dislikes Erfworld is completely natural.
But I REALLY hate the way people have to speak their own oppinion in a way that between the lines states that every one not in agreement is either an idiot or an *******.
And that goes both ways people, if you like the comic that is fine, if you don't i don't mind. But if you have to indirectly insult everyone not in agreement with you i damn well mind!
I am not saying you should not voice your oppinion, but please keep in mind that it is your opinnion not the objective truth.
And i know that is what some of you do, but the five or six posts i have read that did not this evening simply bugged the hel out of me.

And about the too early to say problem i agree: It is too early to claim there is no plot and no development, it is to early to say that this comic is in the elite of webcomics. But seriously does that mean we can't like the bits that are out there already? Or dislike them for that sake?
I don't care.

Om
2007-01-12, 08:25 PM
I love rabid fanboyism, it's cute.
You should see me in a tutu. Now there's something that would cause you to run in a blind panic to express your shock, awe and god-given opinion on an internet message board.

Of course I wouldn't expect that opinion to hold any... what's that word... valid content or merit but don't let that stop you. I look forward to seeing your awe inspiring and eloquent description of my, frankly majestic, calves. If I'm lucky enough you might deign to label them, dare I hope, as "lame".

But then that's me the "rabid fanboy" speaking. If I were to relinquish my Erfworld bedsheets, temporarily of course, and speak to you on a level that you can relate to my response might be somewhat different. I might start by asking you just why you felt the need to describe to us all your personal struggle to read through Erfworld. I might point out that my world does not revolve around you. This would be followed up by a probing and insightful question regarding what you hoped to achieve by slating the comic. There I'd probably stop.

Of course to all this devious questioning you might no doubt bring out some spiel about "public message boards", to which I would respond that posting just because you can is... lame. Perhaps that word can have some uses.

This is not a public service announcement. It is not a "rabid fanboy" rant, though I do hope to do one some of these days. This has been a simple request that you try and maintain some degree of civility on the forums. I'd consider it civil not to stagger into a thread, moan about how difficult it is to read a few pages of the comic, before patting yourself on the back for a job well done and throwing out a few barbs as you exit.

But then perhaps that is just me.

But the fans are starting to piss me off. People don't have to like this comic folks, and they are allowed to come here and say they don't like it.
Its true that the spectre of "fanboyism" does prevent me from biting the head of every one that sticks their head in this forum just to say that Erfworld is "lame". Note that this is not their opinion but a fact. Usually I do manage to restrain myself but when someone walks into a thread and takes a sh*t in the open... well that does piss me off. What's even worse is when said character decides to congratulate himself for managing to drop his trousers on time.

But hey, its a free world and a free message board. Post what you like... just don't expect people to think much of you when you do.

@Wally: You are the Yin to my Yang, the Gabe to my Tycho, the Bonnie to my... actually let's just leave it at that.

Xiander
2007-01-12, 08:36 PM
Om, i understand why you are irritated, but i really don't like your way of showing it.

AngryGreek
2007-01-12, 08:37 PM
Really i think i am going to stop visiting this forum. I will read the comic as long as it amuses me, which it has until now.
I don't much care for the general oppinion, and the fact that some people dislikes Erfworld is completely natural.
But I REALLY hate the way people have to speak their own oppinion in a way that between the lines states that every one not in agreement is either an idiot or an *******.
And that goes both ways people, if you like the comic that is fine, if you don't i don't mind. But if you have to indirectly insult everyone not in agreement with you i damn well mind!
I am not saying you should not voice your oppinion, but please keep in mind that it is your opinnion not the objective truth.
And i know that is what some of you do, but the five or six posts i have read that did not this evening simply bugged the hel out of me.

And about the too early to say problem i agree: It is too early to claim there is no plot and no development, it is to early to say that this comic is in the elite of webcomics. But seriously does that mean we can't like the bits that are out there already? Or dislike them for that sake?
I don't care.

Part of the big problem, as I see it, is that the people who dislike the comic are merely expressing their opinions about the comic. They are justified in doing this, as the comic has been made available to the entire world, complete with a forum for our voice to be heart. The forum is open to all, not just yes-men.

The people who love the comic (the problematic ones at least) take it one step further and seem to be insulting the critics. Is there a difference between criticizing a comic , and criticizing the critic of said comic. I say yes. The forum is here to discuss erfworld, not to discuss each other.

HYPOCRITE! Some of you might be saying. Yup, I've said some things to Rob directly, some I felt justified in saying, and some I really shouldn't have said. In hindsight, all those sorts of statements should have been sent in private messages. I likely wouldn't be sitting under Occam's Razor (2 out of 3 strikes) at the moment if I had heeded that advice earlier.

My point is this. Feel free to say you love the comic. Feel free to say you think the comic is an utter piece of trash. Do not feel free to make each other feel like idiots and asses or worse because of what they believe. Jumped up Jebus on a stick, we don't even do that to people for their religious beliefs anymore, certainly we can refrain due to their position on a webcomic.

Om
2007-01-12, 08:50 PM
Om, i understand why you are irritated, but i really don't like your way of showing it.
If I was less tired and the seemingly endless stream of painfully condescending posts* showed any sign of ending... well then I'd probably have kept my mouth shut. It'd be better if I did but some comments just take the biscuit and almost require a response pointing out their absurdity.

*"This update wasn't that bad. Maybe I'll continue to grace this comic with my readership... maybe"

Wallyz
2007-01-12, 09:08 PM
I've got it. Let's all do our own webcomics, and then we'll vote on how they all stack up against Erfworld.

As an erfworld idiot, the difficulty I face is this. I like the comic. In fact, I think the comic is great. Now, someone comes along and states as fact that Erfworld sucks. Fine. I like it, you don't.

The issue really is, it's pissing them off that I really like it. I am not trying to convince anyone that they have to like it, but stop telling me that I can't like it. And when I stills ay I like it and that the option for not liking the show is to change the channel, I'm a fanboy.

Why is not watching such an unreasonable option? Why must you try to piss on my tent?

Azzurus
2007-01-12, 09:50 PM
I'm finally getting into Erfworld. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-12, 10:30 PM
Wow, I got mentioned ... and no, I'm still here, because OOTS is here.

Thanks to several posters above for makeing this point, which I will repost here in a paraphrasing of my own post which I feel to lazy at this time to go and find...

It's okay for fans to post about how much they love Erfworld .. to go on and on about how much they love it and how great the jokes are and how it made them laugh for an hour straight ... but it's not okay for someone who is not a fan to come here and do the same thing about how they dislike it.

I find it amusing that fans feel that it's insulting to criticize a public comic in a thread that's supposed to discuss what people think of the current issue. Don't you think that as someone who doesn't like Erfworld it is just as nauseating to have to listen to people gush over something I think is drivel?

Here's the difference:

I don't take the time to tell you your wrong for having your opinion. I don't take the time to tell you that how you feel isn't actually how you feel.

You don't like my opinions, fine, then IGNORE my post and move on. If you want to discuss my opinions because you agree/disagree with them, please feel free to do so. (Please note the use of the word: "discuss"). If you want to attack me, or anyone like me whose opinion differs from yours then, I'm sorry my friend, you're in the wrong here.

Take a moment to consider those of us who take the moral high road and don't put you down for your opinions. I'm sorry if you don't like that I'm well spoken and I have an opinion and I feel like expressing it. You're just going to have to get over that. Sorry.

One last thing ... I've said my piece on not liking Erfworld. That's not going to change anytime soon so I'm not going to come back each new page that comes up and say "Erfworld stinks" or anything else like it. You've heard that by now and you don't need it repeated. But I am going to stay around and discuss it if I feel like it (it being the comic, not my dislike). If, as I did in this issue, I find something I enjoyed about it, I'm going to say so. If I want to disagree with a fan, I'm going to do that too.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-12, 10:35 PM
Jumped up Jebus on a stick, we don't even do that to people for their religious beliefs anymore, certainly we can refrain due to their position on a webcomic.

I'm double posting (probably) and I apologize for it in advance.

Scrubbed

teratorn
2007-01-12, 10:39 PM
Just to be at least part on topic and not to bend the posting rules too much, I'll start with our future fearless (?) warlord. I hope the guy doesn't turn into a hamster, but if that happens, then this would be a strip about a guy on a board game AND on a comic strip. Then all these critics would be wrong, the strip would not be lame but lame squared. Awesome!

On some recent developments. It's funny that I had just said in a previous comment that even if the strip had started this way there would still have been a lot of criticism, and then we got it.

You know, I like Erfworld, really I do.

But the fans are starting to piss me off. People don't have to like this comic folks, and they are allowed to come here and say they don't like it.
Of course they have. But the message that started all of this was not about the strip, just a thought coming out of thin air, and somewhat provocative. Some people overreacted, not surprising given the first weeks when liking the strip was equated with being an idiot or a moron.

Grungydan had a relatively well balanced criticism, he just gave his opinion. I saw his last sentence more as a joke but some people might have found it condescending. Maybe he should have added a smiley.

AngryGreek
2007-01-12, 11:21 PM
I'm double posting (probably) and I apologize for it in advance.

Scrubbed

--Scrubbed--

Alcino
2007-01-12, 11:44 PM
This just keeps getting better and better. I've got to tell my brother to have another go at it. It's... just wow.

Thursday's had me laugh out loud, bringing tears to my eyes. I had not paid much attention to the plot before, but everything just fits in place now.

Dabble
2007-01-13, 12:05 AM
I am really enjoying this comic, so please keep up the good work!

I wonder how Wanda will react to what their 350k got them.

TinSoldier
2007-01-13, 12:25 AM
Hey, I think there is room here for rabid fans and people who criticize the comic!

There is nothing wrong with criticism (as long as it is relatively polite) and there is nothing wrong with praise. No one has to ignore or not respond to each others' posts. It's a discussion forum not an echo chamber--that's what you are supposed to do.

If everyone just praised the comic then the authors would not be getting honest feedback and may be alienating people who otherwise would become fans if the fans just drowned them out.

If you really like the comic don't take it personally if someone else doesn't. If you feel the need to answer criticism then try to keep it civil and factual as well.

(Except I have been enjoying Om's snark a little bit...:smallamused: )

mcc
2007-01-13, 02:58 AM
Okay... it may be this is a dumb question or this has been asked 19 times but... is that the guy from AppleGeeks???

TinSoldier
2007-01-13, 03:03 AM
Okay... it may be this is a dumb question or this has been asked 19 times but... is that the guy from AppleGeeks???Yes, yes it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1808110&postcount=43)

JoeKano
2007-01-13, 05:15 AM
Well been trying to decide if this is worth following or not. IT IS!!!!!

"Dibs on his dice."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFLMAOPIMPAHFTLWAJHT,ST.

AngryGreek
2007-01-13, 08:48 AM
I'd like to apologize to everyone for making the heinous mistake of using religion as an analogy to how we should be able to get along and overlook our differences. It was obviously an inflammatory statement that has caused much outrage and controversy.

Oh, please remember to scrub the original comment from post number 126.

*Walks away hanging his head in abject shame*

Jorkens
2007-01-13, 09:11 AM
Hey, I think there is room here for rabid fans and people who criticize the comic!
Yep. And fwiw, the 'Is Erfworld Funny' thread seems to have both getting along quite happily. Possibly because the naysayers there are sticking to 'I don't find this funny' or 'I don't like this, I don't think I'll read it any more' rather than 'this sucks' or 'this sucks more than a big pile of sucking suck that just sucked its way out of the suck ocean' or whatever. More of this sort of thing!

There is nothing wrong with criticism (as long as it is relatively polite) and there is nothing wrong with praise.
It's the 'relatively polite' thing that seems to be the kicker, though. I think after the first few weeks a lot of Erfworld fans are on a bit of a hair trigger regarding what's rude...

Lisp
2007-01-13, 11:24 AM
Its a free enuf world, and you can say your piece, notice they don't edit or erase the "I'm angry at the world so I cry out in my emo way at anything that is new or different". If you honestly don't like erfworld why do you continue to post here. ( I already know the answer, its Epeen showing time
at the festivale of rainbows and you want to show you have the biggest.)

Scrubbed

<GAZE> 2 points for Emo reply, but maturity comes with time, let erfworld
get its same chance, contructive criticism is always welcome, but some folks
are just nasty and twisted becasue they cannot create anything better and
want to tear down the works of others. At least try an be constructive. It shows manners to the Giant and Rob Baldur.

It may be too soon to call anything great, but its their "house" on the interwebs, why come in an pee all over the carpets?

onasuma
2007-01-13, 12:00 PM
Getting interesting. Keep it up.

AngryGreek
2007-01-13, 12:19 PM
LOL I will not! I am sitting on the precipice of banishment. I will not discuss religion, politics webcomics, puppies, weather or d12's!!

Daedrous Avari
2007-01-13, 12:56 PM
Dibs on his dice.

That's great...

teratorn
2007-01-13, 01:03 PM
LOL I will not! I am sitting on the precipice of banishment. I will not discuss religion, politics webcomics, puppies, weather or d12's!!

Dibs on your dice!

AngryGreek
2007-01-13, 01:27 PM
Dibs on your dice!

ROFLMAO... ok, that brought tears to my eyes. Perfect timing!

baltor85
2007-01-13, 09:13 PM
Lol, a more funny Erfworld. Also plot revealing. I noticed that these are making more sense as Erfworld gets more comics.

The big two funny lines:

"Dibs on his dice"
"Damn you"

And,

"PLOT"

But now onto the more subliminal things.

Look to the game board, I wonder whose base is in a BIG FREAKIN' CRATER! Can you say ultimate defence? Except for flying, peepish looking dwagons and birds that say Orly.

Also, a less noticed, but funny line in my opinion: My car is a rolling bomb.

I wonder who his dealer is?

Edit: His life can't be that bad, he has a Wii. Wii's own.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-13, 10:07 PM
I didn't really like Erfworld at first, but after his latest strip, I'm starting to warm up a little bit. I find the sound effect "Plot!" to be an insanely cool sound effect. Now I wonder, is our main character going to look exactly the same when he enters Erfworld, or change into that style of drawing?

Maurog
2007-01-14, 08:07 AM
If he stays the same, he is gonna be ridiculed by everyone for having a disproportionally small head. On a disproportionally large body. Hey!..

SadiraWhitethorne
2007-01-14, 11:11 AM
pah! dissapointing :P real gamers dont use or touch anyones dice but thier own hard bought.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-01-14, 11:59 AM
pah! dissapointing :P real gamers dont use or touch anyones dice but thier own hard bought.

I call BS :-P Free dice are free dice, I'll take 'em when I can get 'em considering how many I've lost.

5tephen
2007-01-14, 07:13 PM
Ah! top work guys!

Can I just say that I think that this comic reads much better in one sitting than in drip-fed web-comic format? This is only the 16th page, and we have all the primary characters set up, all mostly in one place (what with Jillian being captured and all I assume that most of the characters will be in Gobwin Knob), and the key instigating twist has just occured.

That feels about right to me.

SadiraWhitethorne
2007-01-15, 04:16 AM
I call BS :-P Free dice are free dice, I'll take 'em when I can get 'em considering how many I've lost.

meh, I would rather see my dice burned then even touched by another... because if they are touched by another the dice gods seem fit to jinx my dice luck, for that same reason I touch use or touch anothers.

Tyrmadris
2007-01-15, 11:45 AM
Agree with SadiraWhitethorne. Generally having dice in the hands of another results in bad things. Especially when it's a cross player-to-DM dice contact. Players avoid touching my dice since, as the DM, it always seems my attack rolls suddenly shift toward the high end of the scale afterwards (I roll my dice in secret unless it hits a 1, 18, 19, or 20, in which case I reveal it), and they guard theirs jealously since their odds plummet if I should reach over and touch one of theirs, it roll off the table into my hand, etc.

We've got some amazing little gamer superstitions, ranging from my "Orange Die of PC Slaying" (invariably rolls 18+ whenever target PC has half or less life) to the dreaded saying "All you have to do is roll higher than X!," to which the end result is invariably either X or X-1 and involves the roller screaming fitfully at whomever said the "words of damnation."

Can't imagine Parson's group is any different. It must be sheer, unadulterated gamer's greed for that guy to call dibs on his dice--Parson must have several pounds of dice in his collection.

zeratul
2007-01-15, 01:17 PM
Like many I found "PLOT" to be far to awesome for words.

Even though we could see this coming I particularly enjoyed this page.

However, am I the only one who wonders what Parson will look like in the traditional Erfworld art style?

im fairly sure parson is the blonde dude with the hammer controlling the army. i think the people at the table are all already established characters.

chionophile
2007-01-15, 01:38 PM
im fairly sure parson is the blonde dude with the hammer controlling the army. i think the people at the table are all already established characters.

Gonna have to go with a big "I disagree" on this one. No way is Stanley the same person as Parson. Not even close.

IlanaAeryn
2007-01-15, 02:10 PM
i was having some trouble following at first, but i find this one sucked me in a bit, and i plan to continue reading until this makes sense to me.

Jorkens
2007-01-15, 03:40 PM
In what way? Do you think that what we've been seeing "in Erfworld" rather than in Parson's world) is just a representation of what's going on in the game that Parson et al are playing? Or that it has a reality of its own but the characters are linked to Parson's friends in some other way?

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-15, 03:47 PM
Well, since the game hasn't really started yet (ep 16 was the first meeting of the gaming group for this purpose) I would assume that any action thus far in Erfworld was prepared backstory by Parson to st the stage for the group. Many of the characters may be linked to his friends, they may be what he envisions his friends to be if they were in this world, but they are not his friends, at least not yet. That's my view of things, at least.

TheAnimal
2007-01-15, 04:33 PM
Nah, lord Stanley is far too incompetent to be a die-hard strategy nerd.

teratorn
2007-01-15, 05:01 PM
Why does everyone assume that Erfworld is Parson's game? The names of the creatures and the kiddy stuff would not follow if it was as simple as that. It might be just close enough to Erfworld for Parson to be summoned by Wanda.

SadiraWhitethorne
2007-01-15, 07:49 PM
Agree with SadiraWhitethorne. Generally having dice in the hands of another results in bad things. Especially when it's a cross player-to-DM dice contact. Players avoid touching my dice since, as the DM, it always seems my attack rolls suddenly shift toward the high end of the scale afterwards (I roll my dice in secret unless it hits a 1, 18, 19, or 20, in which case I reveal it), and they guard theirs jealously since their odds plummet if I should reach over and touch one of theirs, it roll off the table into my hand, etc.

We've got some amazing little gamer superstitions, ranging from my "Orange Die of PC Slaying" (invariably rolls 18+ whenever target PC has half or less life) to the dreaded saying "All you have to do is roll higher than X!," to which the end result is invariably either X or X-1 and involves the roller screaming fitfully at whomever said the "words of damnation."

Can't imagine Parson's group is any different. It must be sheer, unadulterated gamer's greed for that guy to call dibs on his dice--Parson must have several pounds of dice in his collection.

A gamer after me own heart :redface:

In fact my dice before each game go through a special selection ceremony and sometimes I even give offerings to the great dice gods for good dice luck during gameplay.

Jorkens
2007-01-15, 09:11 PM
Well, since the game hasn't really started yet (ep 16 was the first meeting of the gaming group for this purpose) I would assume that any action thus far in Erfworld was prepared backstory by Parson to st the stage for the group. Many of the characters may be linked to his friends, they may be what he envisions his friends to be if they were in this world, but they are not his friends, at least not yet. That's my view of things, at least.
But the game has to have some reality of its own - otherwise he's just been hit by a spell from his own backstory...

Nekkira
2007-01-16, 08:41 AM
Well, I decided to go ahead and read erfworld again. And the last few comics have been pretty good. This last one was darn funny!

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-16, 11:09 AM
But the game has to have some reality of its own - otherwise he's just been hit by a spell from his own backstory...

Yeah. And why is that a problem? The purpose of backstory is to provide the story up until the point in which the character's begin to participate, ergo, negative time. Time Zero is when the player's assume their character roles and start to play, all positive time is wrapped up in PC play time, all negative time is the backstory. So Parson created the entire alottment of negative time for his world (he has no life and this is all he does aside from Hamstard and Kinko's). Say he set T -5 to be when the spell goes off and summons the ultimate commander, so that he would be newly established when the PCs joined him or against him. Since he did not know that the spell would summon him, or anyone real for that matter, he planned it as backstory. Basically the two separate timelines (real world and Erfworld) coincided on that point due to fate, chance or design.

teratorn
2007-01-16, 11:51 AM
So Parson created the entire alottment of negative time for his world (he has no life and this is all he does aside from Hamstard and Kinko's).

But if it is his world why the cutesy names and baby talk?

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-16, 11:58 AM
But if it is his world why the cutesy names and baby talk?

Because he is a sick, twisted fiend? I dunno. Why use a marshmellow peep to represent a griffon? Or marshmellow bits to represent a semi-goblinoid race of creaures? The guy likes furry porn and has an obsession with hamsters, why wouldn't he use "gwiffon" or "gobwin"?

Jorkens
2007-01-16, 12:20 PM
Yeah. And why is that a problem? The purpose of backstory is to provide the story up until the point in which the character's begin to participate, ergo, negative time. Time Zero is when the player's assume their character roles and start to play, all positive time is wrapped up in PC play time, all negative time is the backstory. So Parson created the entire alottment of negative time for his world (he has no life and this is all he does aside from Hamstard and Kinko's). Say he set T -5 to be when the spell goes off and summons the ultimate commander, so that he would be newly established when the PCs joined him or against him. Since he did not know that the spell would summon him, or anyone real for that matter, he planned it as backstory. Basically the two separate timelines (real world and Erfworld) coincided on that point due to fate, chance or design.
Yeah, but for an Erfworld spell to have an effect on the 'real world', the two of them have to be in some sense on the same level of reality. You wouldn't expect a telekinetic character in a book you were reading to be able to move the objects on your desk around while you were reading it, for example...

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-16, 01:05 PM
Yeah, but for an Erfworld spell to have an effect on the 'real world', the two of them have to be in some sense on the same level of reality. You wouldn't expect a telekinetic character in a book you were reading to be able to move the objects on your desk around while you were reading it, for example...

Right, I don't expect that, any more than I expected Wanda's summoning spell to suck me into Erfworld. I am not denying that Erfworld has it's own time, dimension and version of reality, equal and co-existant with that of Parson. I am, in fact, supporting such a notion. However, it all comes from the creation and timing of Parson himself. He formed the Titans, who formed the world. He set time in motion, revolving about a certain point, the time in which his friends will assume the mantles of Erfworldians. Much like the time system of our world, which is essentially centered around one of two points, the creation of existance by whatever means, or the more recent, supposed date of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth* (the AD/BC split, or the CE/BCE split). Parson has decided that his time 0, or such a split, takes place a short time after the Croakamancer Wanda Firebaugh casts the spell to summon the Perfect Warlord. Since time zero would have coincided with the time where Parson's friends took on the roles of characters in Erfworld, the time that Wanda cast her spell invariably took place a short time before that event, summoning Parson.

Alternately (and this may be revealed if/when Parson returns to his real world), time may run on a truncated, non-linear scale such that the events, as Parson described/thought them, happened in that time. As soon as he decided that the Titans created the world, it happened, and as soon as he decided that Stanley would whack the walnut with the Arkenhammer, it happened. As soon as he decided that Wanda was casting the spell, it happened, which is why he was summoned away at that time.

*Two things. This is not religious commentary, just historical context. Also, I know that the more accurate date of his birth is along in 5-6 BC, not 0 AD.

Dolash
2007-02-11, 11:00 AM
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9384/plotes1.png

Saw the quote, saw the comic, knew I had to make one!

Sorry about the bump.

Maurog
2007-02-11, 11:12 AM
Got a superficial ' there.

Scientivore
2007-02-22, 02:38 AM
All other jokes aside - and there're a lot of good ones - look at the first frame. 'Dibs on his dice' is wearing a Kippah (if that's the correct term) with the bloodstained Watchmen smiley on it... :smallbiggrin:

Thank you! I was really confused about the smiley face. Also, kippah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippah) is apparently the correct term, though I have only heard it called a yarmulka. So, I learned two things. Awesome!