PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Disciple (PrC)

Talyn
2007-01-12, 02:07 PM
When the Gods act through their mortal agents, there are a few that are actually transformed through their divine contact. These Radiant Disciples grow to resemble the angelic servants of their deity as they perform the deity's work on earth.

Radiant Disciple
d8 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become an Angelic Disciple, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Abilities: WIS 14 CHA 14
Alignment: Any Good
Languages: Celestial
Feats: Extra Turning OR Improved Turning
Skills: Knowledge: Religion (9 ranks), Concentration (9 ranks)
Special: Must be able to turn undead. Must be able to cast 2nd level divine spells.

The radiant disciple’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Concentration (Con), Heal (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Knowledge (The Planes).

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per day
1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|Radiant Turn, Luminescence|+1 level of existing class
2nd|+1|+3|+1|+3|Angelic Presence
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Radiance 1/day|+1 level of existing class
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Perpetual Luminescence, Wings|+1 level of existing class
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Divine Protection +1
6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Radiance 2/day|+1 level of existing class
7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Angelic Light|+1 level of existing class
8th|+6|+6|+2|+6|Angelic Flight
9th|+6|+6|+3|+6|Paragon|+1 level of existing class
10th|+7|+7|+3|+7|Radiance 3/day, Ascension, Song of the Seraphim, Divine Protection +2
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Radiant Disciple prestige class.

Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: A Radiant Disciple gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Turn Undead: Radiant Disciple levels stack with Cleric levels for purposes of turning undead.

Radiant Turn: Sacrifice an extra turn to give a -2 morale penalty to turned undead, -1 to undead armor class. Lasts for duration of the turning.

Luminescence: Glows with a soft light when casting spells. +1 bonus to light spells. This ability cannot be suppressed voluntarily.

Angelic Presence: Allows the Radiant Disciple or any ally within 60' to re-roll a failed saving throw roll. Costs 1 turn undead attempt per use.

Radiance: The Disciple uses a Turn Undead to generate a 30' radius of blinding light. All this within the radius must make a Reflex Save or be blinded for a number of rounds equal to the Radiant Disciple’s charisma bonus, DC = 10 + Cha bonus + (Radiant Disciple level / 2). Undead are not blinded but instead take 1d4 damage / level of radiant disciple with no saving throw (spell resistance still applies).

Perpetual Luminescence. Always glowing softly, lights like a torch. This ability cannot be suppressed voluntarily.

Wings: Gains physical wings, Flight 40ft (average)

Divine Protection: Shifting light provides +1 Divine bonus to AC. This bonus increases to +2 at level 10.

Angelic Light: Light 40ft radius, nullifies magical darkness up to spell level 3. This ability is always on and cannot be suppressed voluntarily.

Angelic Flight: Flies with the grace of an Angel. Good flight, 50 ft.

Paragon of Deity: The caster can now cast spells from every domain sponsored by the patron deity.

Ascension: Treat as a Outsider (good), gain outsider special qualities, DR 20/+1

Song of the Seraph: The Radiant Disciple sings a song in Celestial. An “explosion” of divine light busts outward in a 40' radius, centered on the Radiant Disciple, bathing the area in holy energy. This restores 3d8 + 10 hit points to all allies and it immediately ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the targets: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned. Usable 1/day and costs 2 Turn Undead attempts.

“You should have seen it! An angel took flight above the battlefield, and over the thickest of the fighting sang a song in the most beautiful voice I had ever heard. I don’t know what the words were, but I get the feeling she was asking god for forgiveness and mercy. But that wasn’t it all! Then a holy light burst forth and bathed the wounded, and they stood up with new life and vigor! It was a miracle” -Revien Celebros, Scout.

Valairn
2007-01-13, 06:55 AM
For clarity you should include the Divine Protection at both levels you gain it in the table, one with Divine Protection +1 and the next as Divine Protection +2.

I really like this idea, but on some level I feel like I'm reading the prestige version of the favored soul.

Also a Cleric 10/Angelic Disciple 10 would not be able to cast 9th level spells, that's a problem, I don't care how neato a prc is, giving up 9th level spells is a big no no in my book.

Talyn
2007-01-13, 07:25 AM
It's actually an adaptation of favored soul, with a more consistently angelic theme. I don't allow base classes other than the PHB ones in my campaign (with one homebrew example I'll post here later), so this seemed like a good compromise.

The "not getting 9th level spells" - they are sort of the capstone of the pure caster classes, and I really think that MOST prestige classes probably shouldn't let their members get them. Otherwise, why would anyone get to 20 in their base classes?

Thank you for your feedback, by the way. Much appreciated. Also, a concern of mine: 5th level in this class is definitely a "dead level" - you gain Divine Protection, but no new spells, and not even an increase in BAB or saving throws. How do I fix that so people feel that there is a good, steady progression?

Matthew
2007-01-13, 07:59 AM
Nice Prestige Class. One of the Characters in an old (A)D&D campaign of mine actually had something like this happen to him. This would make his Character convertable...

Valairn
2007-01-13, 12:02 PM
My arguing contention is that prestige classes should be an increase in power over and above the base class, in some ways this is actually a power decrease. While its still a great class, its capstone is really Paragon, the 10th level is kind of.... well i'd rather have the 9th level spells.

Its up to you. I like the idea a lot.

Iituem
2007-01-13, 12:10 PM
If you want to let them cast minimum 9th level spells, you could always put an extra spell progression at 5th level, that way your 10Clr/10Para can cast 9th level spells as a 17th level cleric.

Rama_Lei
2007-01-13, 03:31 PM
I'd up the wisdom requirement.