PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Favorite DND Setting

Serakus_DeSardis
2007-01-12, 03:53 PM
Its likely been done before. Whats your favorite official DND game settings? And why? Discuss!

Winged One
2007-01-12, 03:57 PM
Normally, I prefer homebrew settings, but I got an Ebberon book yesterday and I really like what I've read so far. Corrupt clerics, dragons not being color-coded for your convinience, shape-shifting races with no LA, artificers, warforged, the fact that it was designed to make sense...I just love the entire thing.

Serakus_DeSardis
2007-01-12, 04:06 PM
I've got the Eberron Campaign book on the way to me in the mail (it may even have arrived today). I love the idea of the warforged and the dragonmarked.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-12, 04:24 PM
I am in love with anything I create myself, so there's your answer.

MrNexx
2007-01-12, 04:31 PM
I am in love with anything I create myself, so there's your answer.

This bodes well for your children.

I will dispense with the obvious potty humor.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-01-12, 04:46 PM
Forgotten Realms... because that's where I was introduced to D&D, and it's also the only setting I'm familiar with. My own attempts to create settings have either fallen flat or turned out hidiously wrong.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-12, 04:53 PM
I like Dragonlance because it was the first setting I played. Also, I like Reorx.

Weezer
2007-01-12, 10:58 PM
Forgotten Realms, because it is the campaign that has the most backstory and history and it has Dritzz in it.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-13, 12:15 AM
Homebrew, followed by Eberron, mostly because those are the only two settings I have been exposed to.

Bloodred
2007-01-13, 01:39 AM
How can you not have OA on this list?? There is even Greyhawk...

Fat Daddy
2007-01-13, 02:50 AM
I voted Forgotten Realms as that is where I have been playing since 2e. However, I just started playing in an Eberron Campaign and am really enjoying it.

cokefiend
2007-01-13, 08:38 AM
I love Dark Sun, both for what it is and for what it isn't.
Wizards are feared and hated, psionics are a staple, clerics aren't boring, halflings aren't cutesy hobbit wannabes, elves aren't prissy tree-huggers... the list is near-endless.
And gnomes are extinct.
What more could you ask for?

Dewey
2007-01-13, 08:47 AM
Personally, i like Eberron the best, I really like the flavor of it.

Thomas
2007-01-13, 08:58 AM
And gnomes are extinct.

All hail Gallard, Bane of Gnomes!

Fredricus
2007-01-13, 09:05 AM
Darksun! It's a dark world where evil rules and barbaric halflings roam(darn ebberon for stealing the idea). The elves are really cool.

Thomas
2007-01-13, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't say Eberron halflings are even remotely based on the Dark Sun halflings. They just took the "gypsy" traveler image of the standard 3rd ed. halflings and put a twist on it: they ride dinosaurs on the planes. Athasian halflings are mostly pygmy cannibals living in a rainforest.

Neo
2007-01-13, 09:25 AM
Been playing FR and Darksun since 2e.

FR because of the depth and effort that's gone into it. You can have an epic adventure and still not scratch the surface of whats possible in it.

Darksun, cos its like the antithesis of every other setting. Instead of good fighting off evil so everyone can live happily ever after, you have a world where evil has pretty much taken over and ravaged the planet. Plus you have properly realised Thri-kreen rather than the sidebar style in the 3.5 XPH and cannibal halflings. Probably the greatest challenge ever, where everything and anything could kill off your characters the moment they started out.

Scorpina
2007-01-13, 10:43 AM
Forgotten Realms.

*is FR fangirl*

clarkvalentine
2007-01-13, 10:54 AM
I'm primarily a Dragonlance fan (and I've been lucky enough to contribute to the setting's canon as an author), but I also enjoy Eberron and FR.

ampcptlogic
2007-01-13, 10:59 AM
I voted FR, mostly because I have the greatest familiarity with it, but I'm also a fan of the pronounced weirdness and philosophical bent of Planescape. Just being able (or required by the plot) to go plane-hopping sounds really fun and interesting. Particularly if your character is a Prime, not a Native Outsider.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-01-13, 11:07 AM
You know what you doing! Move Eberron, for great justice!

blackout
2007-01-13, 11:13 AM
Forgotten Realms, plain and simple. My friends and I always play that, because each of us is most familiar with it.

ghost_warlock
2007-01-13, 11:20 AM
Eberron represent!

Although I do have to admit that I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Dark Sun and Ravenloft...

Artanis
2007-01-13, 12:39 PM
I've played in two not-so-enjoyable homebrew worlds and one enjoyable Eberron campaign...so that leaves Eberron by process of elimination for me.

Bryn
2007-01-13, 01:04 PM
Eberron - I love the feel of it, warforged, airships, changelings... I also enjoy homebrew.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-13, 02:07 PM
I've never played in a campaign that wasn't homebrewed, either as player or DM. Being a fantasy writer myself, it just feels good to make a whole world on my own.

On the other hand, I borrow from the other settings quite often, especially to suit the stylized tastes of my players. Forgotten Realms is pretty cool high fantasy with great detail. Eberron puts some awesome twists on regular fantasy conventions. Planescape gives a truly weird and intruiging world. Dark Sun is my basis for ANY decimated lands in games, reminding me of a medieval Mad Max. Dragonlance was my first of the fantasy settings listed here, and while I do love some of the conventions and the feeling of nostalgia it gives me, it sort of feels childish to me now. Greyhawk is the most game-ish of all the settings, which is never a bad thing in a game.

The others I haven't been properly introduced to yet :)

Diggorian
2007-01-13, 02:24 PM
Greyhawk. Feels the most pure being the oldest and most like Earth.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-01-13, 03:01 PM
Had to go with 'other,' as my answer is still and always will be Rokugan. Even if it's been years since I looked at the setting, and even though I doubt I'll ever play a game in it again (it'd just take too long to explain to my friends who don't have any books themselves), I don't think I've ever seen a setting with such coherancy and direction, at once exotic and immediately understandable.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-13, 03:36 PM
I prefer a homebrew world, but if i have to choose, it would be FR.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-01-13, 04:45 PM
Homebrew, followed by Planescape (for being the most awesome thing of any kind ever, even including sliced bread), then Eberron.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-13, 04:46 PM
I've played in so very few standard worlds I wouldn't know. Prefer a well-done homebrew if I can get it. Planescape has always intrigued me, if only it'd be updated to 3.5 edition.

Matthew
2007-01-13, 05:56 PM
I take it you have seen this before, Vorpal:

http://www.planewalker.com/index.php

Do you mean a more official update?