PDA

View Full Version : Never-ending Song, Death Mouth, and other fun spells

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 10:00 AM
If you like this one, more are on my Obsidian Portal page. (https://the-howling-cliffs.obsidianportal.com/wikis/new-spells)

*Never-ending Song*
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 1, Beguiler 1, Wizard 2
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 0
Effect: 20' burst centered on the caster
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: Special
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster begins to sing a simple but catchy and repetitive toon. Non-allies in the area of effect must make a will-based save to avoid joining in at the end of the round. If anyone willingly joins in singing, they forfeit any saving throw for 2d8 rounds. Creatures who resist but fail their save must sing for 1d4 rounds. In either case, after the initial duration, they may make a will-based saving throw each round to stop; otherwise they continue to sing. Singing prevents any speech or spell-casting that requires verbal components. In addition, the distraction of singing causes them to suffer a -1 penalty to attacks and any skill checks. Removing themselves from the vicinity of other singers (at least 20 feet away), allows them a +2 bonus to their saves.

The caster makes a perform(singing) check when casting. The DC is 10 + the level of the spell + 1 for every 3 points in the resulting roll rounded down, but the bonus from their singing roll can never be more than 150% of the bonus they normally get from their casting ability score rounded up. Ex: A bard with a +3 charisma bonus rolls 21 on his singing check. That would normally add +7 to the DC but it would be capped at +5.

Example lyrics: “This is a song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Someone just started singing it not knowing what it was, and now they go on singing it forever just because this is a song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. (etc.)”

Debihuman
2013-11-26, 10:59 AM
If you like this one, more are on my Obsidian Portal page. (https://the-howling-cliffs.obsidianportal.com/wikis/new-spells)

The only issue I see is the range. If it has a range of 0, nobody 5 feet or more away from you can be affected.

It should be range: Close.

Also this is NOT a burst since the caster has to continue to sing.

Aside from those minor issues it looks okay.

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 12:25 PM
Aside from those minor issues it looks okay.

Thanx. I will tweak it.

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 12:37 PM
Updated and added something that I feel is more appropriate.

Never-ending Song
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 1, Beguiler 1, Wiz/Sor 2
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 20 feet
Effect: 20-ft radius from you
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: Special
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster begins to sing a simple but catchy and repetitive toon. Non-allies in the area of effect must make a will-based save to avoid joining in at the end of the round. If anyone willingly joins in singing, they forfeit any saving throw for 2d8 rounds. The non-bard versions of this spell start with a casting component that might alert attentive creatures and put them on the defensive against a spell. Creatures who resist but fail their save must sing for 1d4 rounds. In either case, after the initial duration, they may make a will-based saving throw each round to stop; otherwise they continue to sing. Singing prevents any speech or spell-casting that requires verbal components. In addition, the distraction of singing causes them to suffer a -1 penalty to attacks and any skill checks. Removing themselves from the vicinity of other singers (at least 20 feet away), allows them a +2 bonus to their saves.

The caster makes a perform(singing) check when casting. The DC is 10 + the level of the spell + 1 for every 3 points in the resulting roll rounded down, but the bonus from their singing roll can never be more than 150% of the bonus they normally get from their primary casting ability for spell DCs rounded up. Ex: A bard with a +3 charisma bonus rolls 21 on his singing check. That would normally add +7 to the DC but it would be capped at +5.

Example lyrics: “This is a song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Someone just started singing it not knowing what it was, and now they go on singing it forever just because this is a song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. (etc.)”

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 08:56 PM
I updated some of the spells based on some feedback. The updated spells are on my Obsidian Portal page (http://the-howling-cliffs.obsidianportal.com/wikis/new-spells).

Was persuaded that Cold Snap was too powerful for a swift spell and toned it down a lot to be more purely defensive. Removed unavoidable debuffs and left just one resistable debuff that lasts only one round followed by a brief obscuring mist effect. Totally open to feedback. I plan to make this spell available in my game so I want it to be right.

I was also persuaded that Neverending Song was just too complicated and simplified it a bit.