PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Warmage

Legendcrafter
2007-01-13, 06:46 AM
"These warriors are not like other men, General," the orc lieutenant shakingly reported as he climbed up the hill to his commander.

"Don't you think I see that?" the General replied, indicating the flashes of electric light coming from within the battlefeild. "So what's with these strange men? Are they wizards?"

"No sir," the lieutenant answered, "while they indeed weild magiks, they do not speak words of power, nor are they weaklings like the wizards are. They fight like daemons, darting to and fro like cats, impossible to strike!"

The General thought for a moment then bellowed, "Well then, tell the men that we must fight ever the harder to slay these white daemons!", while raising a clawed fist into the air. After the lieutenant had darted down the slope to deliver his message, the old orc whispered to himself, "Gruumsh protect us."

The Warmage

Warmages are a unique type of magic user: instead of using their arcane power outwardly, to make spells, warmages focus their magic inward, granting them strange abilities. Warmages are very nimble and powerful warriors.

PREREQUISITES:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Must be proficient with all simple and martial weapons.

Spells: Must be able to cast 1st level arcane spells spontaneously.

Base Attack Bonus: +6

Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Combat Casting

Alignment: Any Lawful

CLASS FEATURES:

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: Concetration (con), Craft (int) Diplomacy (cha), Intimidate (cha), Profession (wis), Spellcraft (int), Swim (str)

WARMAGE
{table=head]Level|Base Attack
Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+0
|
+0
|Arcane Shield

2nd|
+2
|
+2
|
+0
|
+0
|Arcane Protection

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|
+1
|Smite 1/day

4th|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|
+1
|Mage Fire (1 orb)

5th|
+5
|
+4
|
+1
|
+1
|Enhanced Mobility

6th|
+6
|
+5
|
+2
|
+2
|Smite 2/day

7th|
+7
|
+5
|
+2
|
+2
|Mage Fire (2 orbs)

8th|
+8
|
+6
|
+2
|
+2
|Ageless Body, Arcane Awareness

9th|
+9
|
+6
|
+3
|
+3
|Smite 3/day

10th|
+10
|
+7
|
+3
|
+3
|Mage Fire (3 orbs)[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiency: The warmage gains no weapon proficiency, and no proficiency with any armor or shield.

Mage Shield (ex): When not wearing armor or using a shield, a warmage adds 1 point of Charisma bonus (if any) per warmage level as a deflection bonus to her AC. This bonus is applicable under any circumstances while the warmage is consious. Warmages subconciously weave a sheild of force around their bodies.

Improved Speed (ex): While not wearing armor or shield, a warmage gains a 10 ft. bonus to her base land speed.

Arcane Protection (su): Starting at 2nd level, a warmage adds her charisma bonus (if any), to her saves.

Smite (su): Starting at 2nd level, a warmage can imbue a number of attacks with magical energy, giving her a bonus to her damge rolls equal to her charisma bonus + her warmage levels. A warmage can smite one additional time every three levels (2/day at 6th, and 3/day at 9th).

Mage Fire (sp): At will, a warmage of 4th level or higher can weave a number of spheres of magical energy. This is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. This sphere can be hurled at an enemy, or simply pressed against the enemies body to deal damage (see the produce flame spelldescription for details). Each orb deals 1d6 points of damage, and a warmage gains an additional orb per summoning every three levels (2 at 7th, 3 at 10th). All orbs can be thrown simultaniously. The term 'Mage Fire' is a misnomer; the orb could be constructed of any of the five energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, force), but once a warmage chooses a type, he must stick with that same type. A warmage can only summon mage fire when not wearing any armor or shield.

Enhanced Mobility (ex): When wearing no armor and not using a shield, a warmage gains an additional +4 bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity caused when she moves out of a threatened square.

Timeless Body (ex): Upon attaining 8th level, a warmage no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

Arcane Awareness (su): A warmage of 9th level or higher can use her magic to spot when enemy will leave himself vulnerable. She gains a +4 bonus to all attack rolls made for an attack of opportunity, she also gains the benefits of the Combat Reflexes feat.

So there it is guys, tell me what you think! :smallsmile:

Legendcrafter
2007-01-13, 06:52 AM
:smallconfused: ... :smallannoyed:... :smallmad:... :smallfurious:!!! Sorry guys, I can't fix the tables. :smallredface:

The warmage has good BAB progression, as fighters, good Fortitude saves, and I'm afraid you're going to have to look throught the descriptions of the special abilities to see when the warmage gets them. Again, a thousand apologies for my incomptence.:smallfrown:

Altharis
2007-01-13, 06:52 AM
Have you ever read Complete Arcane? Because they have a warmage too.

Jibar
2007-01-13, 07:10 AM
True, but Complete arcane's is more of a soldier/mage hybrid. This one is pretty different, just the same name.

Legendcrafter
2007-01-13, 08:29 AM
Oh! No, I've never read Complete Arcane, didn't know about their warmage. Hmmm...Battlemage? Blademage? War-wizard?... I'll have to think about that.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Rierdrex
2007-01-14, 09:23 PM
I suggest maybe giving him a d10 hit-die. Since it's not a spellcasting class and it's pretty much a physical combat class, I believe they'll need all the hitpoints they can get. If they want to use the Mage Shield, Improved Speed and Enhanced Mobility class abilities, they can't use armor or a shield, rendering their armor class rather low, despite the charisma modifier to armor class, which by the way, supersedes a popular item (rings of protection).
The idea of focusing magical energies to render yourself more powerful is interesting, and I like the flavour a lot. Nice work!

Tiejaz
2007-01-14, 09:38 PM
It's an interesting idea, but it would be much worse, mechanically, than say, a Warmage / Paladin / Abjurant Champion (CArc, Core, CMag)
Something like this: Warmage 4 / Paladin 2 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Spellsword 1 / Eldritch Knight 8.

Rama_Lei
2007-01-14, 09:44 PM
Don't understand the lawful prereq.

MandibleBones
2007-01-15, 04:20 AM
Consider making the AL prereq "Any Non-Chaotic." Neutral people work well in teams as well.

And "Blademage" sounds fun.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-15, 06:38 AM
I see what you mean. Something like the elf's Blade Singer (that lost a lot of it's flavor in the 3rd edition, in my opinion)
So, good BAB, good Fort and Will. People said to use d10, but since he's partially a mage, he should keep the d8.
Hmm... you could make it so they gain a few more magic effects, like Magic Weapon, Haste, or Bull's Strenght

In a way, it reminds me of the Initiate (or whatever is the name these days) from ShadowRunner, where the character is basically a magic-powered Monk.
There's also the Mystic Knight in some Final Fantasy games with the same theme.

I don't have much to commen on the current effects, but there's no much point in not using armor. The idea of adding magic power to attacks is interesting.

And you want this:

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Arcane Shield
2nd|
+2|
+2|
+0|
+0|Arcane Protection
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Smite 1/day
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Mage Fire (1 orb)
5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Enhanced Mobility
6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Smite 2/day
7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Mage Fire (2 orbs)
8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Ageless Body, Arcane Awareness
9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Smite 3/day
10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Mage Fire (3 orbs)[/table]

Don't break the lines, or the forum thinks it is a new line.