PDA

View Full Version : Martial Maneuver Tactical Feat (Feedback Appreciated)

yaluckyboy09
2013-11-29, 07:29 PM
So I had this idea for a Tactical Feat that any Maneuver using class can benefit from

"Martial Tactics
(Tactical Feat)

Pre-requisites:
Base Attack Bonus +3
Know at least 1 Martial Strike, Boost and Counter

You can sacrifice a readied maneuver to gain a
benefit depending on the type of maneuver
sacrificed.

You may sacrifice a readied Strike as a Free Action
to add 1D6 points of damage per Maneuver level
of the Maneuver you sacrificed to
your next attack
You may sacrifice a readied Counter as a
Free Action to add 1 point of Dodge bonus per
Maneuver level of the Maneuver sacrificed
until the end of your next turn
You may sacrifice a readied Boost as a Free Action
to add 1 point per maneuver level of the Maneuver
sacrificed to your next Attack roll"

I asked one of my DM friends, and he thought it was pretty balanced for what's being given up but I'd like a bit more feedback

~Corvus~
2013-11-29, 08:30 PM
This SOUNDS pretty balanced, but it's totally broken because sacrificing anything is a free action.

Let's assume a character is using all strikes for maximum efficiency.

A 6th-level Swordsage has 5 1st-level strikes, 3 2nd-level strike and 3 3rd level strikes. He could end a BBEG with a single round of prep, and the Crusader and Warblade could repeatedly abuse this feat every round at level 3.

Since sacrificing Strikes is a free action, the SS--with Adaptive Style--can sac all 6 readied maneuvers and then spend that first round as a FRA to change readied maneuvers. Next round, he can charge the BBEG and sac the other 5 readied strikes again, for a total of 5d6+6d6+9d6 damage or 20d6 damage on a single attack. At level 6. Unless you roll all 1s, you're dealing mondo damage. Stack on Assassin's Stance for 22d6 damage before considering weapon damage and Gloom Razor. Super nuts.

The 3rd-level Crusader with Extra Granted Maneuver will gain 3d6 or 4d6 extra damage every round, and will almost certainly never miss, and be able to move to boot. At level 4, the Crusader will alternate dealing +4d6 damage and +5d6 damage every round. Mind you, this is before considering weapon damage.

At level 3, The WB can sac all 3 Strikes (one level 2, two level 3) he's readied to get +4d6 damage to the Standard-action attack he's making, which can be used to refresh his maneuvers by topping it off with a flourish. He's probably wielding a greatsword, and with 16 Str, so its a total of 6d6+4 damage EVERY ROUND, NO DRAWBACKS.

yaluckyboy09
2013-11-29, 08:34 PM
This SOUNDS pretty balanced, but it's totally broken because sacrificing anything is a free action.

Let's assume a character is using all strikes for maximum efficiency.

A 6th-level Swordsage has 5 1st-level strikes, 3 2nd-level strike and 3 3rd level strikes. He could end a BBEG with a single round of prep, and the Crusader and Warblade could repeatedly abuse this feat every round at level 3.

Since sacrificing Strikes is a free action, the SS--with Adaptive Style--can sac all 6 readied maneuvers and then spend that first round as a FRA to change readied maneuvers. Next round, he can charge the BBEG and sac the other 5 readied strikes again, for a total of 5d6+6d6+9d6 damage or 20d6 damage on a single attack. At level 6. Unless you roll all 1s, you're dealing mondo damage. Stack on Assassin's Stance for 22d6 damage before considering weapon damage and Gloom Razor. Super nuts.

The 3rd-level Crusader with Extra Granted Maneuver will gain 3d6 or 4d6 extra damage every round, and will almost certainly never miss, and be able to move to boot. At level 4, the Crusader will alternate dealing +4d6 damage and +5d6 damage every round. Mind you, this is before considering weapon damage.

At level 3, The WB can sac all 3 Strikes (one level 2, two level 3) he's readied to get +4d6 damage to the Standard-action attack he's making, which can be used to refresh his maneuvers by topping it off with a flourish. He's probably wielding a greatsword, and with 16 Str, so its a total of 6d6+4 damage EVERY ROUND, NO DRAWBACKS.

I forgot to add the limit of only one use per round...

yaluckyboy09
2013-11-29, 08:40 PM
I forgot to add the limit of only one use per round...

FIXED!!! I think...

"Martial Tactics
(Tactical Feat)

Pre-requisites:
Base Attack Bonus +3
Know at least 1 Martial Strike, Boost and Counter

You can sacrifice a readied maneuver to gain a
benefit depending on the type of maneuver
sacrificed. You must wait until the begining of
your next turn to use this ability again after
using it.

You may sacrifice a readied Strike as a Free Action
to add 1D6 points of damage per Maneuver level
of the Maneuver you sacrificed to
your next attack
You may sacrifice a readied Counter as a
Free Action to add 1 point of Dodge bonus per
Maneuver level of the Maneuver sacrificed
until the end of your next turn
You may sacrifice a readied Boost as a Free Action
to add 1 point per maneuver level of the Maneuver
sacrificed to your next Attack roll"

~Corvus~
2013-11-29, 08:46 PM
Edit the original post :smalltongue: I recommend the following (and yeah, limiting it to once per round is right on the money).

Martial Tactics
(Tactical Feat)

Pre-requisites:
Base Attack Bonus +3
Know at least 1 Martial Strike, 1 Boost and 1 Counter

You can sacrifice a readied maneuver to gain a benefit depending on the type of maneuver sacrificed.

[first flavorful title]
Once per round, you may expend a single readied Strike as a Swift Action to add XD6 points of damage to your next attack, where X is equal to the maneuver level of the strike you expended.

[second flavorful title]
Once per round, you may expend a single readied Counter as a Swift Action to gain a bonus to your Dodge AC equal to the maneuver level of the counter you expended. Edit: This bonus lasts until the end of your next turn, and does not stack. Only the highest bonus from this source applies.

[third flavorful title]
Once per round, you may expend single readied Boost as a Swift Action to add a bonus to your next attack roll equal to the maneuver level of the boost you expended.

yaluckyboy09
2013-11-29, 08:52 PM
Edit the original post :smalltongue: I recommend the following (and yeah, limiting it to once per round is right on the money).

Martial Tactics
(Tactical Feat)

Pre-requisites:
Base Attack Bonus +3
Know at least 1 Martial Strike, 1 Boost and 1 Counter

You can sacrifice a readied maneuver to gain a benefit depending on the type of maneuver sacrificed.

[first flavorful title]
Once per round, you may expend a single readied Strike as a Swift Action to add XD6 points of damage to your next attack, where X is equal to the maneuver level of the strike you expended.

[second flavorful title]
Once per round, you may expend a single readied Counter as a Swift Action to gain a bonus to your Dodge AC equal to the maneuver level of the counter you expended.

[third flavorful title]
Once per round, you may expend single readied Counter as a Swift Action to add a bonus to your next attack roll equal to the maneuver level of the boost you expended.

any particular reason why you made the last two both expend Counters?

~Corvus~
2013-11-29, 08:53 PM
any particular reason why you made the last two both expend Counters?

Error on my part.

yaluckyboy09
2013-11-29, 08:56 PM
Error on my part.

I take it the last one should be a Boost?

~Corvus~
2013-11-29, 08:57 PM
I take it the last one should be a Boost?

Read my edit

yaluckyboy09
2013-11-29, 09:00 PM
Read my edit

....touché