PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k Custom Vehicle Question

ilovefire
2007-01-13, 08:22 PM
Now, I run an IG army, and I happen to be fond of flamers. (Anything that hits more often... plus I'm usually up against 'nids and other horde armies, so hitting many helps.) So, I constructed a little heavy-support choice IG flamer tank based on a Hellhound. My question is, is it cost effective as far as points-to-worth goes?

Firestarter Flamer Tank (heavy support)
Based on Hellhound design. AV: Front: 13, Sides: 12, back: 10
Equipped with Turrent-mounted Inferno cannon, Hull mounted heavy flamer, and two sponson mounted heavy flamers.
Type: Tank
Point Cost 130
Special Rule:
Overheat: On any turn where the Firestarter uses all of it’s weapons, it begins to overheat. Unless one movement phase turn is spent cooling the Firestarter down, roll a d6 and apply the results as per this table, starting the second turn the Firestarter uses all it’s weaponry.
1-2: The Firestarter’s engine can’t take any more, overheating and shutting down as a safety precation, and the Firestarter is now considered immobile for the rest of the game.
3-4: The Firestarter’s weapons have melted down. Roll a d3. If it lands on 1, the hull mounted heavy flamer is destroyed if you used it. On a 2, a sponson mounted Heavy Flamer (Pick one) goes up. On a 3, the Inferno Cannon’s barrels have turned into so much slag.. If the selected weapon was not used in the previous turn(s) since the Firestarter began to overheat, then roll again.
5: The Firestarter’s internal temperature increases dramatically, cooking it’s crew alive. Consider it destroyed for the rest of the game.
6: The fuel storage tanks took the brunt of the heat, reach the flashpoint, and explode, starting a chain reaction among the Firestarter’s many flammable substances. It is immediately Annihilated.

Selrahc
2007-01-13, 08:29 PM
So its a hellhound with sponson mounted heavy flamers? Just grab the costs from the baal predator.

(Better front armour too?)

ilovefire
2007-01-13, 08:41 PM
It also replaced the standard hull mounted heavy bolter with a heavy flamer. and yeah, better frontal armor. And I don't know the points cost for a Baal Predator.

heretic
2007-01-13, 11:48 PM
I think it should cost a bit more. Just by looking at it.

PokeTheBard
2007-01-14, 07:36 AM
Use the VDR for it to be legal. Yeah, it'll cost about 150% of what it probably should but if you're playing those armies a lot it should earn back it's points.

Bryn
2007-01-14, 07:38 AM
http://home.freeuk.com/theuk/vdr/

VDR online. I don't know what all the options mean, though.

PokeTheBard
2007-01-14, 07:56 AM
Inferno Cannon (+30) + 3 Heavy Flamers (+45) Front Armour 13 (+20) Side Armour 12 (+40) Rear Armour 10 (+10)

Type: Tank, Fully Armoured (+0)

Size: Normal

Speed: Normal (+10)

TOTAL COST = 155points

(No need for the special rule though I guess you could use it as a house rule if your opponent doesn't mind.)

Penguinizer
2007-01-14, 07:58 AM
I like messing around with that thing.

CLOSE COMBAT VEHICLE DATAFAX
Name Points WS BS S Front Side Rear IA
Horribly broken.22025 4 4 5(10) 14 14 12 34
Type:Walker
Size:War machine
Speed:Agile
Weapons:
10 x AA Twin-linked Gatling Long-barrelled Mega Blast Titan-killer Plasma cannon + co-axial Vanquisher cannon
10 x AA Twin-linked Gatling Long-barrelled Mega Blast Titan-killer Plasma cannon + co-axial Vanquisher cannon
2 x War machine CC weapon
Special Options:
12 x Imperial field
Amphibious
Orbital lander
Recovery vehicle
Wrecker
Skimmer
Ferocious
Souped-up engine
Tow-Bar
Vehicle Category:
War machine
Structure points:

McDeath
2007-01-16, 03:39 AM
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Might want to streamline the rules though. Perhaps:
"If the Firestarter moves and fires, roll a d6 yada yada yada."

DeathQuaker
2007-01-16, 11:59 AM
Or, take Sisters of Battle as allies and include an Immolator in your list. Not as good armor as your homebrew (it's just a converted Rhino with Twin-Linked Heavy Flamers) but it won't blow up on you either, and can get some fun accessories like the Holy Promethium (any unit Flamed has to make morale check as if they took 25% casualties even if they didn't).

'Course, it's fun to do your conversions, but if you want something tourney legal that's probably as close as you're going to get...

And if you do your conversions just for fun, I'd get some Immolator parts to help you... if the citadel ones are too ornate, try Forgeworld's Immolator conversion kit.

Hoggmaster
2007-01-16, 12:44 PM
Or you could just take a Leman Russ, have heavy flamer sponson and a hull mounted heavy flamer (would cost the same as the sponson). The LR demolisher would work best, Short range demolisher cannon with the Heavy flamers, or use the exterminator (TL autocannon) and move and shoot everything but with flamers instead of hvy bolters....