PDA

View Full Version : The Warden- Buffs, buffs, buff! (Fixed-list Caster Project). 3.5, PEACH

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-03, 02:35 PM
The Warden

HD: d8
Class Skills: The Warden's class skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str)
Skill Points at First Level: (4+Int Mod) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+Int Mod

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
0 lv
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Platoon, Armored Mage (Light)

2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3
Combat Casting

3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Somatic Weapon

4th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Eclectic Learning

5th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Platoon Casting

6th
+4
+5
+2
+5
Eclectic Learning

7th
+5
+5
+2
+5
Armored Mage (Medium)

8th
+6/+1
+6
+2
+6
Eclectic Learning

9th
+6/+1
+6
+3
+6
Platoon Monitoring

10th
+7/+2
+7
+3
+7
Platoon Unity, Eclectic Learning

11th
+8/+3
+7
+3
+7
Armored Mage (Heavy)

12th
+9/+4
+8
+4
+8
Eclectic Learning

13th
+9/+4
+8
+4
+8
Platoon Communication

14th
+10/+5
+9
+4
+9
Eclectic Learning

15th
+11/+6/+1
+9
+5
+9
Platoon Logistics

16th
+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10
Eclectic Learning

17th
+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10
Greater Platoon Communication

18th
+13/+8/+3
+11
+6
+11
Eclectic Learning

19th
+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+11
Lingering Magic

20th
+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+12
Platoon Arcana, Eclectic Learning

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Warden is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light armor, and with light shields. In addition, he gains proficiency with medium armor and heavy shields at 7th level, and with heavy armor and tower shields at 14th level.

Spells: A Warden casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the Warden spell list below. When he gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level on the Warden's spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list. He also has the option of adding to his existing spell list through his Ecclectic Learning class feature (see below) as he increases in level.

To cast a Warden spell, a Warden must have an Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level (Wis 10 for 0-level spells, Wis 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Warden's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the Warden's Wisdom modifier. Like other spellcasters, a Warden can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. The base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Wisdom score (PH 8).

A Warden need not prepare spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.

Armored Mage (Ex): Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster’s gestures, which can cause spells to fail if those spells have a somatic component. A Warden's limited focus and specialized training, however, allows you to avoid arcane spell failure so long as you stick to light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to medium or heavy armors, nor to heavy shields. This ability does not apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

At 7th level, you learn to use medium armor and heavy shields with no chance of arcane spell failure.

At 11th level, you learn to use heavy armor and tower shields with no chance of arcane spell failure.

Platoon (Su): Wardens train to operate as part of a team, and they have developed specialized magics to help. All Wardens can perform an hour-long ritual to create a connection with a willing ally, referred to as a Squadmate. The Warden may add his Wisdom modifier to his caster level when casting Warden spells on his Squadmates. A Warden may have 2 Squadmates at a time, plus one additional Squadmate for every 4 Warden levels. Either party may dismiss the connection at any time.

Combat Casting: At second level, Wardens gain Combat Casting as a bonus feat.
Note: If using Giants and Graveyards rules, instead gain Skill Focus: Concentration

Somatic Weapon (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, Wardens may cast spells with somatic components even when both hands are occupied by weapons or shields.

Eclectic Learning: At 4th level, and every subsequent even-numbered level, a Warden learns one spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard list. If the spell is from the abjuration school, he learns it at its normal level. If it is not, he learns it one level higher than normal. He must be able to cast the spell at its adjusted level in order to learn it.

Platoon Casting (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, a Warden may cast Touch-range spells on Squadmates up to 5 feet away per Warden level.

Monitor Platoon (Su): Beginning at 9th level, a Warden may monitor all Squadmates as though by the status spell.

Platoon Unity (Ex): Beginning at 10th level, a Warden may cast spells with a range of Personal on his Squadmates. Treat the spells as if they had a range of Touch instead. This also allows them to be cast via Platoon Casting.

Platoon Communication (Su): Beginning at 13th level, a Warden and his Squadmates are considered to be under the effects of a telepathic bond spell at all times. Participants may temporarily turn off this connection if they desire privacy— doing so, and turning it back on again, are free actions.

Platoon Logistics (Ex): Beginning at 15th level, a Warden may cast two spells as a single standard action, provided that both target either himself of a Squadmate.

Greater Platoon Communication (Su): Beginning at 16th level, the Warden's Monitor Platoon and Platoon Communication abilities function across planar boundaries.

Lingering Magic (Ex): Beginning at 19th level, a Warden may Persist (as the feat) a number of spells each day equal to one-half his Wisdom modifier. Spells persisted in this fashion must be cast on either himself or his Squadmates.

Platoon Arcana (Ex): At 20th level, a Warden may cast spells on Squadmates at any range, even across planar boundaries. He does not need line of sight or line of effect.

Warden Spells

0 Level Spells (Cantrips)

Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Launch Bolt (SpC): Launches a crossbow bolt up to 80 ft.
Light: Object shines like a torch.
Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.

1st Level Spells

Arrow Mind (SpC): You threaten nearby squares with your bow and fire without provoking attacks of opportunity.
Bless: Allies gain +1 on attack rolls and saves against fear.
Conviction (SpC): Subject gains +2 or higher save bonus.
Divine Favor: You gain +1 per three levels on attack and damage rolls.
Enlarge Person: Humanoid creature doubles in size.
Entropic Shield: Ranged attacks against you have 20% miss chance.
Fist of Stone (SpC): Gain +6 Str and natural slam attack.
Guiding Light (SpC): +2 on ranged attacks against creatures in illuminated area.
Guided Shot (SpC): You ignore distance, cover, concealment penalties with your ranged attacks for 1 round.
Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
Nerveskitter (SpC): Subject gains +5 bonus on initiative checks.
Resurgence (SpC): You grant subject a second chance at a saving throw.
Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.

2nd Level Spells

Aid: +1 on attack rolls and saves against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/level (max +10).
Bear’s Endurance: Subject gains +4 to Con for 1 min./level.
Bull’s Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
Cat’s Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
Heroics (SpC): Fighter gains one fighter bonus feat.
Hunter’s Mercy (SpC): Your next hit with a bow is automatically a critical hit.
Protection from Arrows: Subject immune to most ranged attacks.
Resist Energy: Ignores first 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
Snake’s Swiftness (SpC): Subject immediately makes one attack.
Spell Immunity, Lesser (SpC): As spell immunity, but only 1stand 2nd-level spells.
Wraithstrike (SpC): Your melee attacks strike as touch attacks for 1 round.

3rd Level Spells

Aid, Mass (SpC): Allies gain +1 on attack rolls, +1 against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/level (max +15).
Conviction, Mass (SpC): Allies gain +2 or higher save bonus.
Dispel Magic: Cancels spells and magical effects.
Fly: Subject flies at speed of 60 ft.
Resist Energy, Mass (SpC): Creatures ignore damage from specified energy type.
Haste: One creature/level moves faster, +1 on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves.
Heroism: Gives +2 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks.
Magic Vestment: Armor or shield gains +1 enhancement per four levels.
Magic Weapon, Greater: +1/four levels (max +5).
Resurgence, Mass (SpC): As resurgence, but multiple subjects.
Snake’s Swiftness, Mass (SpC): Allies each immediately make one attack.

4th Level Spells

Air Walk: Subject treads on air as if solid (climb at 45-degree angle).
Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
Divine Power: You gain attack bonus, +6 to Str, and 1 hp/level.
Enlarge Person, Mass: Enlarges several creatures.
Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser: Stops 1st- through 3rd-level spell effects.
Remove Curse: Frees object or person from curse.
Resist Energy, Mass (SpC): Creatures ignore damage from specifi ed energy type.
Spell Immunity: Subject is immune to one spell per four levels.
Stoneskin (M): Ignore 10 points of damage per attack.

5th Level Spells

Blink, Greater (SpC): Controlled blinking between the Material and Ethereal Planes grants defenses for 1 round/level.
Contingent Energy Resistance (SpC): Energy damage triggers a resist energy spell.
Enlarge Person, Greater (SpC): Subject remains enlarged for 1 hour/level.
Fly, Mass (SpC): One creature/level flies at speed of 60 ft.
Indomitability (SpC): Subject can’t be reduced below 1 hp.
Ironguard, Lesser (SpC): Subject becomes immune to nonmagical metal.
Overland Flight: You fly at a speed of 40 ft. and can hustle over long distances.
Righteous Might: Your size increases, and you gain combat bonuses.
Stalwart Pact (M) (SpC): You gain combat bonuses automatically when reduced to half hit points or lower.

6th Level Spells

Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
Bear’s Endurance, Mass: As bear’s endurance, affects one subject/level.
Brilliant Blade (SpC): Weapon or projectiles shed light, ignore armor.
Bull’s Strength, Mass: As bull’s strength, affects one subject/ level.
Cat’s Grace, Mass: As cat’s grace, affects one subject/level.
Dispel Magic, Greater: As dispel magic, but up to +20 on check.
Energy Immunity (SpC): Subject and equipment gain immunity to damage of specified energy type.
Globe of Invulnerability: As lesser globe of invulnerability, plus 4th-level spell effects.
Heroism, Greater: Gives +4 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks; immunity to fear; temporary hp.
Mantle of the Icy Soul (M) (SpC): Touched creature gains the cold subtype.
Stone Body (SpC): Your body becomes living stone.

7th Level Spells

Brilliant Aura (SpC): Allies’ weapons become brilliant energy, ignoring armor.
Energy Immunity (SpC): Subject and equipment gain immunity to damage of specified energy type.
Ironguard (F) (SpC): Subject becomes immune to all metal.
Spell Resistance, Mass (SpC): As spell resistance, but multiple subjects.
Spell Turning: Reflect 1d4+6 spell levels back at caster.

8th Level Spells

Death Ward, Mass (SpC): As death ward, but more subjects.
Iron Body: Your body becomes living iron.
Mind Blank: Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
Protection from Spells (M,F): Confers +8 resistance bonus.

9th Level Spells

Absorption (SpC): You absorb spell energy to power spells of your own.
Effulgent Epuration (SpC): Creates one sphere/level to negate hostile magic.
Unbinding (SpC): Frees everyone in range from spells that constrain or bind.

Clarkson
2013-12-06, 12:15 AM
Liking it so far, a few gripes/sugestions

Not certain about good reflex save. To me it seems more like the class would have a good fort save.

I believe Squadmates in the table is listed as Platoon in the explanation of abilities.

In the Spellcasting description you have "Warden must have an Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level (Int 10 for 0-level spells, Int 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth

More to come later.

Temotei
2013-12-06, 12:24 AM
You have something against Zen Archery that they only get melee martial weapon proficiency?

Also, what's the reasoning behind Wisdom as the driving ability score?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-06, 02:43 PM
Not certain about good reflex save. To me it seems more like the class would have a good fort save.
Thaaaat... was a copy-paste error. It's meant to have a good Fort.

I believe Squadmates in the table is listed as Platoon in the explanation of abilities.
Whoops.

In the Spellcasting description you have "Warden must have an Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level (Int 10 for 0-level spells, Int 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth
Not sure what you mean by this?

You have something against Zen Archery that they only get melee martial weapon proficiency?
I didn't really see them using archery, but the main reason is probably that I came up with the spell list before deciding on a lot of the chassis details, and I'd cut out all the archery spells to save space. But now that I've dropped healing, I should have room to put some back...

Also, what's the reasoning behind Wisdom as the driving ability score?
<shrug> Int and Cha didn't make as much sense? I couldn't decide if I wanted him to be arcane or divine until the last minute? I wanted a variety of casting stats on my fixed list casters? Who knows? Certainly not me.

Clarkson
2013-12-06, 11:13 PM
It's just another copy paste error. You say that casting is based off Wisdom, but then say you must have Int X to cast the various levels. Could have underlined that better.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-06, 11:23 PM
It's just another copy paste error. You say that casting is based off Wisdom, but then say you must have Int X to cast the various levels. Could have underlined that better.
Ah, now I see, thank you.

Just to Browse
2013-12-07, 02:32 AM
Definitely T2.

Basing ranges and targets on an ability score (e.g. platoon, platoon casting) is really annoying, especially since it interacts badly with Wis damage and stuff like Owl's Wisdom. I don't see a deficit to making it level-based or a flat number, and I recommend you do that.

Armored Mage scales too slowly. By 11th level, I will be wearing heavy mithral armor anyways and don't care about the casting proficiency. Considering this is a Tier 2 caster as-is, you might as well move the benefit down to level 6-8.

There are no army buffing abilities. There really should be.

I feel like this class scales better of Charisma thematically, since it appears to be for leaders (in a similar vein as the marshal). However, a stark lack of diplomacy indicates you may think otherwise.

Why does it have 3/4 BAB and d8 hit die? Is it supposed to work as an secondary melee combatant?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-07, 01:18 PM
Definitely T2.
I know I did this the last time you posted on one of my threads, but... that's crap. There's no way he's T2. He gets buffs and defensive spells, and that's it. There's no summoning, no teleporting, no BFC, no crafting, no social spells, no action economy, no save-or-dies...

Basing ranges and targets on an ability score (e.g. platoon, platoon casting) is really annoying, especially since it interacts badly with Wis damage and stuff like Owl's Wisdom. I don't see a deficit to making it level-based or a flat number, and I recommend you do that.
Yeah, fair point, especially for Platoon.

Armored Mage scales too slowly. By 11th level, I will be wearing heavy mithral armor anyways and don't care about the casting proficiency. Considering this is a Tier 2 caster as-is, you might as well move the benefit down to level 6-8.
Ehhh... I dunno....

There are no army buffing abilities. There really should be.
Good thought. How to handle it...

I feel like this class scales better of Charisma thematically, since it appears to be for leaders (in a similar vein as the marshal). However, a stark lack of diplomacy indicates you may think otherwise.
Yeah, I might change it over...

Why does it have 3/4 BAB and d8 hit die? Is it supposed to work as an secondary melee combatant?
Primary melee, really. It's a gish-in-a-can-- buff yourself up and kill some dudes.

Just to Browse
2013-12-07, 04:42 PM
I know I did this the last time you posted on one of my threads, but... that's crap. There's no way he's T2. He gets buffs and defensive spells, and that's it. There's no summoning, no teleporting, no BFC, no crafting, no social spells, no action economy, no save-or-dies...Buffs are stupid strong in d&d. Fly at level 5, divine power at level 4, all the good anti-scrying spells from ecclectic learning, and he's 1 arcane disciple feat away from picking up basically any spell he needs otherwise. This class can seriously outshine sorcerers if it wants to.

Ehhh... I dunno....Perhaps I can appeal from another angle. Besides the level feeling pretty dead to an optimizer, as a player I'd also feel a bit underwhelmed at the thought of waiting till level 10 to get the armor I want to wear.

Good thought. How to handle it...lol i dunno. Maybe require a bunch of people who like you to watch you for 5min (like when you give a speech) and that lets them benefit from spells of level - 2 or something.

Primary melee, really. It's a gish-in-a-can-- buff yourself up and kill some dudes.Then I feel like he needs some way to burn spells for durability. Not sure how, but a d8 class focusing a mental stat is going to get owned in melee.