PDA

View Full Version : Jason Voorhees

Miatog
2007-01-15, 02:42 AM
I was told to watch Freddy vs. Jason as a fan of the Nightmare series. I’m the type of guy that likes to know all I can about a character before an epic battle like that one should be given Jason’s rep, so I watch the entire Friday the 13th series. Hated ever moment of it, but as I watched I kept seeing things that could be from d20. So I have sat down and stated up Jason. I only looked at the first part of Jason X because it’s clear that after he got the metal parts added he ‘leveled up’ and would need to have some rework done. I’ll get to that form later though.

I thought about doing Freddy also, but there’s no point. Jason is a guy you can throw at a party in the middle of the night. Freddy you would have to weave into the plot to get him in there, and even then any ‘fights’ would be futile and only in dreams. Stats would be meaning less then.

At any rate, here’s Jason Voorhees:
Medium Aberration

HD: 12d6+98 (140)

Initiative: -1

Speed: 20 ft

Armor Class: 9

Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+12

Attack: What ever happens to be handy.

Full Attack: What ever happens to be handy, then what ever is handy again.

Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft

Special Attacks: None

Special Qualities: Shadow Walk ( ex), Weapon Opportunist (ex), Hide in Plain Sight (ex), regeneration 10 (ex), Easily Distracted (ex), Regenerating Abilities (ex), Fear of Water (ex), Freddy Vs. Jason

Saves: Fort: 4, Ref: -, Will: 0

Abilities: Str: 22, Dex: 8, Con: 25, Int: 7, Wis: 6, Cha: 15

Skills: Intimidate: 13, Hide: 13, Move Silently: 13

Feats: Frightful Presence DC 16, Stealthy, Improved Toughness, Power Attack

Environment: Lakes, camps, small towns

Organization: 1, never more.

Challenge Rating: I’m too new to D20 to figure this out well, so I leave that up to you guys.

Treasure: A cursed Hockey mask that will make you act and have the stats of Jason. This mask can not be removed unless the wearer is unconscious or dead.

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Advancement: None

Level Adjustment: See Challenge Rating

Shadow Walk: Jason can Shadow Walk at will, as long as he's not under observation.

Weapon Proficiency: Jason is considered to be proficient with all melee weapons, including improvised weapons or mundane objects wielded as weapons.

Hide in Plain Sight: Jason can hide in the shadows even as they are being watched.

Regeneration 10: No form of attack deals lethal damage to Jason Voorhees. Jason regenerates even if he fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death-effect. If Jason fails his save against a spell or effect that would kill him instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to his full normal hit points +10. Jason is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem's cursed wound ability. Jason can be slain only by raising his nonlethal damage total to his full normal hit points + 10 and using a wish or miracle spell to keep him dead. If Hason loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). He can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Easily Distracted: In any round in which Jason notices an additional opponent, he is obligated to halt and twitch in their direction, reducing him to a partial action in that round.

Regenerating Abilities: Jason recovers lost stats at a rate of 1 per hour. His stats also can not fall below 1.

Fear of Water: Jason is deathly afraid of water and will never willingly enter any body of water large enough to completely submerge himself. In any round in which he finds himself underwater, he must make a will save (DC 15 + 2/round submerged) or panic, flail and suffer drowning effects (which reduces him to -10 hp)

Freddy Vs Jason: Any bardic music checks made within Jason's hearing are misinterpreted by his limited cognition and confused with Freddy's song, causing him to be enraged for the duration of the bardic music effect being produced; he receives a +2 to all attack and damage rolls, and a -2 to reflex saves and armor class.

Major credit goes to fangthane for this guy. he helpped a lot of problems.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-15, 02:54 AM
Very very high skill modifiers for someone with 3 HD. He'll have a max of 6 ranks in any skill. He should have two feats, being an intelligent creature. Attack usually has the attack bonus added for easy reference, so it would be easier to say, give him a machette. Undead have a poor base attack bonus, Jason however appears to have eight times the BAB he should have. And undead don't have Con scores.

From what I can tell the biggest issue is to just give him more HD.

Miatog
2007-01-15, 03:04 AM
For the ranks, have you seen the stuff he does? He needs insane ranks in those, only a small handful of people don't get scared when they LOOK at him and when he doesn't want to be seen or heard, you don't see or hear him, ever.

I will say I forgot the undead means no con though.

As for the feats, most of what he does is just natural. Unless I was to turn one of those special abilities into a feat I can't think of anything that could fit there.

I'll fix the undead thing (along with anything else you guys can think of) in the morning. It's late where I am and only stayed up this late cause of the Town.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-15, 03:29 AM
Well, it doesn't matter what he can do in the movie, ranks to HD aren't really alterable. You can however give him a racial bonus to these checks.

Miatog
2007-01-15, 01:39 PM
Fine, I changed his HD around and gave him the Stealthy feat. Those numbers are lower then I would like though. I might need to change his HD around again to give him more ranks.

BTW: Those numbers are after the modifiers as well (feats and stats). That’s the way you’re supposed to do it right? In case I haven’t made it clear yet I’m new to this kind of thing.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-15, 04:39 PM
Alright, just a couple more problems. The undead have d12 HD, and there's no deviations from that as far as I've seen. I didn't notice this before but his saves seem to be off. At 8 HD with his current stats his saves should be like this; Fort: +2, Ref Nil, Will +4. With 8 HD he should have three feats(never a bad thing) and beyond that I can't see anything wrong.
I hope this is helpful.

Maerok
2007-01-15, 04:44 PM
I think "Ref -" would be more syntaxically correct.

Skyserpent
2007-01-15, 04:54 PM
He has NO AC? That's ridiculous. EVERYTHING has AC... Bookshelves have AC. Though there is a -10 penalty for being unable to move but come on... he's gotta have Natural Armor to AC at least! Or maybe DR...

And I don't see a DC for his Frightful Presence...

and honestly, if I ever encountered him in D&D chances are he'd be pretty easily killed. I mean, I wouldn't sic this guy on anyone but unsuspecting teenagers. I mean, Wizards Clerics and Fighters would all probably destroy this guy with relative ease. And his attack bonuses are confusing as hell...

His BAB shouldn't be anywhere NEAR 12. And he needs WAY more hp if he's not going to have AC...

Machete
2007-01-15, 06:12 PM
I agree that he should have AC 10. Damage reduction sounds right up his lane too like a 20th level barbarian has dr/3- adamantine .

Miatog
2007-01-16, 01:46 AM
Keep in mind that what I'm trying to do is recreate the character, not make something that you’d really use.

Nothing ever misses him that I can remember. He's getting shot at, we see that with each shot a part of his body jerks back and he keeps walking. Somebody wants to hit him with some item lying around, he's hit. Be it from behind, to the side, or from the front. In the 8th movie a teen boxing champ starts attacking him and Jason doesn't do anything to move out of the way, he doesn't even try to move to the side. He just plain doesn't care, why? Cause unless it's the last person alive, he doesn't die. And even when he does die, the universe itself brings him back to life.

My point here is, I’m trying to follow the character, not the model for making monsters. For something like AC, I will put my foot down and stay with what the movies give us. And the movies say that he doesn’t have AC, nothing that I can think of has ever missed him. Not until Jason X, but then that’s another form that needs it’s own stats. If someone can point at an attack in any of the movies that didn’t hit him, then I will alter it to AC 10.

As for his BAB, thinking it over I will lower it down to +6. He hits often, but rarely makes multiple attacks. It’s normally 1 attack then the person is dead or gets to do something, usually run for their lives.

EDIT: And the high fort was more what makes logical sense to me, but then I just remembered Freddy Vs Jason when he was put under with some tranquilizer so I'll lower that as well.

EDIT: I also thought of some 'Treasure' you could get from him that I think lines up with the 5th movie.

Machete
2007-01-16, 01:53 AM
I could have sworn there was one part in one of the movies where someone threw a pie tin or a hub cap at him and it missed but I could be wrong.

Miatog
2007-01-16, 02:02 AM
I can’t think of any pie tins, and the only time I can think of when hub caps might have been used would be the5th movie where the van had been messed with, but I’m pretty sure that he got hit every time. Even if he wasn’t hit, that wasn’t him :) That was a guy pretending to be him.

fangthane
2007-01-16, 02:08 PM
Suggestions:

1. Type: Aberration. Because the undead can't regenerate. (nothing without a con score can regen)
2. Dex 1. Gives a -5 to ac and reflex saves, and frankly they don't matter. Because...
3. Regeneration 10: No form of attack deals lethal damage to Jason Voorhees. Jason regenerates even if he fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death-effect. If Jason fails his save against a spell or effect that would kill him instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to his full normal hit points +10. Jason is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem's cursed wound ability. Jason can be slain only by raising his nonlethal damage total to his full normal hit points + 10 and using a wish or miracle spell to keep him dead. If Hason loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). He can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.
3. Frightful Presence: Jason can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain within 60 feet of Jason. The save DC is Charisma-based. - Whoops, you have this, it's just in the wrong place. Should be in Special Qualities.
4. Replace teleport with Shadow Walk, at will, as long as he's not under observation.
5. Jason is immune to energy drain and to ability score damage/drain, and to all mind-affecting spells and abilities. He also has DR 10/-
6. Easily Distracted: In any round in which Jason notices an additional opponent, he is obligated to halt and twitch in their direction, reducing him to a partial action in that round.
7. Fear of Water: Jason is deathly afraid of water and will never willingly enter any body of water large enough to completely submerge himself. In any round in which he finds himself underwater, he must make a will save (DC 15 + 2/round submerged) or panic, flail and suffer drowning effects (which reduces him to -10 hp)
8. Freddy Vs Jason: Any bardic music checks made within Jason's hearing are misinterpreted by his limited cognition and confused with Freddy's song, causing him to be enraged for the duration of the bardic music effect being produced; he receives a +2 to all attack and damage rolls, and a -2 to reflex saves and armor class.
9. Weapon Proficiency: Jason is considered to be proficient with all melee weapons, including improvised weapons or mundane objects wielded as weapons.

Rather than give him a flat 0 AC, he should have some natural armor but a crushing dex penalty and the tendency to rage should overcome that nicely.

I'd give him about 5 or 6 natural armor, which offsets his -5 dex and leaves him at about 10 or 11 total; at level 8 most melee characters can only miss that on a natural 1, and it's fairly easy even for unleveled commoners (college kids) to hit on a touch (I think it's fair to say that a glancing blow doesn't even hurt him, and most solid hits too)

Just my thoughts on stuff which should make him almost as fearsome to mid-level wizards as he is to college kids. Because otherwise, one disintegrate or destruction and it's movie over. But with Tarrasque-like regeneration, he's more like in the movies.

I'd give him about a dozen HD and rate him around a 10-11 or thereabouts for CR, as well as (since undead doesn't work due to con restrictions w.r.t. regeneration) raising his con to about 25-ish. And, not incidentally, granting him a boatload of bonus HP. :)

Tormsskull
2007-01-16, 02:55 PM
I like Fangthane's suggestions, but props to the OP for putting this to the paper, awesome idea.

Miatog
2007-01-16, 08:04 PM
1. I can go with Aberration, given what they say about him in Jason X it actually fits better. They outright say he regenerates in that movie, so all the lightning used in the other movies were likely just acting as jumper cables to speed up the regeneration. I got so distracted by the fact that he had died, that I didn’t even think of that. Good thinking.

2. Wouldn’t that imply that he has trouble holding on to weapons? He has more coordination then that. Also, keep in mind that in the movies he’s basically going up against level 1 commoners, and a couple mid level warriors in 6 (the cops). Heck, I’d also call the kid that killed him a low level warrior. These guys never miss either and they lack the BAB that 8th level PC’s would have.

3. Again, I got distracted by the thinking that he had died to think of this, even the survivors wouldn’t get through his regeneration according to Jason X. Grats again.

3. I did have it in special qualities, but Krimm_Blackleaf wanted feats and that is a feat. Found it here. (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Frightful_Presence,all)

4. Not sure that there’s really any difference here, but I’ll change it just to avoid an argument.

5. Wouldn’t tranquilizer be draining his con? That seemed to put him under real easy in Freddy vs. Jason.

6. I thought of this one, but wasn’t sure how to write that up, grats once again.

7. I can’t believe I forgot this. It was only a key part of Freddy Vs. Jason.

8. lol, this sure does fit in with the humor and fun I was having stating him up.

9. A nice simpler way of putting what I had, for the 4th time good job.

If OP=Original Poster then thanks, I had fun doing this. Lots of laughing with my buddy (who never wants to see any but Jason X) as I described this to him.

Alright, I’m pressed for time so I can’t update right now but I will later tonight when I get back from my first class of the semester. 6-9 PM every Tuesday, yay :(

fangthane
2007-01-17, 08:16 PM
2. You do make a good point there; he's not entirely agile but he's often able to move his arms with relative dexterity... I suppose the alternative here would be to give him (say) an 8 or so dex but impose a -10 penalty to his AC or thereabouts. Easy to hit, tough to damage, near-impossible to permanently down. :)
4. Not a big deal either way really; Either way it's just a mechanism to account for the fact that although he shambles slowly, he always manages to get ahead of the kids. Shadow walk or teleport either one works, but for the flavour of the "stalker in a remote locale" shadow just seemed to fit more, to me. If you prefer teleport there's nothing wrong with that either (though it should be Teleport, Greater if so - he doesn't miss)
5. Mmm, that's a point, I suppose he does... Perhaps make him commute drain to damage, heal damage at 1 point per hour, and impossible to reduce below 1 in any stat? An IV drip would still hose him but only short-term.

OP is indeed you, and I second the kudos... I'd never even thought of statting him up and your post really got some juices going. :)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-17, 08:21 PM
He still needs a d12 HD if he's going to be undead.

fangthane
2007-01-18, 12:04 AM
...but not if he's an aberration :) (which makes more sense as it allows regeneration)

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-18, 12:22 AM
If there's still not enough feats, I'd say give him Power Attack. He's pretty much swinging as hard as possible every time, if I remember rightly.
Doesn't no constitution mean no fortitude saves? It's not like he'll get tired or anything.
I agree with fangthane that he must have a fair Natural Armor, because armor doesn't always equate miss, and no one blow's really gonna hurt him.
Does he get sneak attacks (or the equivalent) for appearing suddenly and attacking pre-reaction, or even from behind? He doesn't always give the kids a chance to react (though I may be thinking of his mother in the first one).
But, in all, very very cool. I am afraid of this guy.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-18, 10:13 AM
...but not if he's an aberration :) (which makes more sense as it allows regeneration)
If he's an abberation then he needs a d8.

krossbow
2007-01-19, 12:02 AM
the problem is, that really, jason should only be sicked on unsuspecting teenagers. Everyone who dies from jason in the movies is, frankly, clinically retarded. Anyone with half a wit of intelligence would simply beat the heal out of him, set him on fire, and leave. Or lock his remains in a cage.

Hell, he gets uber-pwned by the swat team in jason goes to hell, and the kid smacks the crap out him in a fist fight in friday the 13th 2. His regeneration is his only ace.

a Low HP and easiness to kill fits him perfectly.
________
Ford Fusion (Europe) Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Fusion_(Europe))

Danu
2007-01-19, 12:44 AM
About the armor class thing: while it's generally assumed that if you fail to beat the AC of the target you miss, that's actually inaccurate. You may have actually managed to hit the creature, your weapon simply skidded off its natural hide or armor, was deflected away by a shield, etc. Dodge bonuses, Insight bonuses, and a Dex bonus to AC are really the only ones that modify whether you actually 'miss' something.

Which means all of the attacks in the movies 'hit' Jason simply because they managed to bypass his touch AC, while they failed to actually penetrate his natural armor in order to do any appreciable damage. And I don't really see Jason as having a massive natural armor bonus, anyway; +3 at the most.

Y'know, now that I think on it... Jason faintly reminds me of the Nameless One from Planescape Torment. I wonder if they loosely based the idea of the Nameless One's essential immortality on Jason?

XtheYeti
2007-01-19, 08:23 AM
I made a Freddy once. He was a unholy scion and his claw was considered natural weapons, but also metal, i think it was like +6 vorpal unholy claw , but he could also cast phantmasal killer once per day and nightmare 5 times a day

Miatog
2007-01-22, 12:34 AM
Sorry about the wait. I got distracted by life. At any rate I’m fixing him up right after this post.

Well, for those of you that want him to have AC, you have it. I have remembered a time when he was missed. He was missed not once, but trice with only a few seconds between attacks. Freddy Vs. Jason, Freddy was trying to hit him with some oxygen tanks. He was doing so by cutting off the tip and having them fly at Jason. He did this three or four times and only the last one hit. So, I’ll give him a dex of 8 with no other mods. This will give him 9 AC so most everything should still hit.

GuesssWho
2007-01-22, 05:36 PM
I made a Freddy once. He was a unholy scion and his claw was considered natural weapons, but also metal, i think it was like +6 vorpal unholy claw , but he could also cast phantasmal killer once per day and nightmare 5 times a day

Show us! We want to see Freddy!
Can he have A Really Ugly Sweater as a feat?:smallbiggrin: