PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Brute [Base Class, Crossroads]

Admiral Squish
2013-12-06, 04:11 PM
Brute
Created for Crossroads: the New World (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269334)

In an age where warriors are replaced by musketeers, where swords and clubs fall into disuse, those with great strength find themselves in a different role than they did in the past, the role of the brute. Some maintain the fading traditions of melee combat, others repurpose their strength from a weapon into a tool, and others still seek supernatural help to keep their skills relevant in the new world they find themselves in.

Hit Die: d12
Skill Points: 4+level
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Engineering, Nature), Perception, Profession, Sense Motive, Survival, Swim

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1
+2
+0
+0
Heavy Weapons, Brute Path 1

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+0
Feat of Strength, Bravery

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+1
Mettle, DR 1/-

4th
+4
+4
+1
+1
Feat of Strength

5th
+5
+4
+1
+1
Brute Path 2

6th
+6
+5
+2
+2
Feat of Strength

7th
+7
+5
+2
+2
DR 2/-

8th
+8
+6
+2
+2
Feat of Strength

9th
+9
+6
+3
+3
Brute Path 3

10th
+10
+7
+3
+3
Feat of Strength

11th
+11
+7
+3
+3
DR 3/-

12th
+12
+8
+4
+4
Feat of Strength

13th
+13
+8
+4
+4
Brute Path 4

14th
+14
+9
+4
+4
Feat of Strength

15th
+15
+9
+5
+5
DR 4/-

16th
+16
+10
+5
+5
Feat of Strength

17th
+17
+10
+5
+5
Brute Path 5

18th
+18
+11
+6
+6
Feat of Strength

19th
+19
+11
+6
+6
DR 5/-

20th
+20
+12
+6
+6
Feat of Strength

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A brute is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and shields (but not tower shields).

Heavy Weapons: (Ex) A brute’s great physical strength allows them to wield larger, heavier weapons than their peers. A brute can wield weapons designed for creatures one size category larger without penalty.

Brute Path: The path of the brute is simple, but it’s not without it’s subtleties. At 1st level, a brute selects the path they will go down. At 5th level and every 4 levels thereafter, the brute advances along the chosen path. Once selected, the path cannot be changed.

Ironclad: This variety of brute turns their great strength toward defending themselves and their allies, often layering on heavy armor and shields. They may be upholding ancient knightly traditions, or be employed as bodyguards to rich or powerful individuals, or may simply enjoy the sense of invulnerability given by heavy armor.
1st At 1st level, an ironclad gain proficiency with heavy armor and tower shields. When wearing heavy armor, they can use the weight of the armor to help them in combat, gaining a bonus to CMD equal to one-half their class level (minimum 1). The bonus cannot exceed the total armor bonus granted by the heavy armor. This bonus also applies to CMB checks made to bull rush, drag, grapple, overrun, reposition, or trip.
5th At 5th level, an ironclad brute can maximize the protection granted by heavy armor. While wearing heavy armor, the ironclad increases the armor bonus to AC of their armor by 1. The bonus increases by an additional 1 for every five levels beyond 5th.
9th At 9th level, an ironclad’s strength and experience with armor allows them to ignore the great weight of their armor. The ironclad ignores any speed penalty imposed by medium or heavy armor.
13th At 13th level, an ironclad can use their armor to turn potentially fatal blows into glancing ones. While wearing heavy armor and a critical hit or sneak attack is scored against them, there is a 25% chance the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
17th At 17th level, an ironclad no longer automatically fails a saving throw on a result of a natural 1. In addition, an ironclad that fails a saving throw against an ongoing mind-affecting spell or ability can re-roll the save on the following round.

Berserker This variety of brute is capable of truly frightening displays of strength and fury. They rush into battle in a frenzy, usually only lightly armored, and deal devastating blows, damaging and terrifying their enemies. They maybe be norse, from where the tradition emerged, or they may be noted brawlers with a temper problem, or simply mad.
1st At 1st level, a berserker gains the ability to enter a rage. At 1st level, the berserker can remain use rage for a number of rounds equal to 4 +con. At every level after 1st, the berserker can rage for 2 additional rounds. Temporary increases to constitution, such as from a bear‘s endurance spell or the rage itself, do no increase the total number of rounds that the berserker can rage per day. A berserker can enter a rage as a free action. The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.
While in a rage, the berserker gains a +4 morale bonus to strength and constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on will saves. In addition, they take a -2 penalty to armor class. The increase to constitution grants the berserker 2 hit points per hit die, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in a rage, a berserker cannot use any Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma based skills (except Acrobatics, Intimidate, or Ride), or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
A berserker can end their rage as a free action, and is fatigued after raging, for a number of rounds equal to 2x the number of rounds the brute spent in the rage. A berserker cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted, but can otherwise enter rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a berserker falls unconscious, their rage immediately end, which may kill them with the HP lost from leaving rage.
5th At 5th level, a berserker gains a +2 bonus on will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus gained during their rage.
9th At 9th level, when the berserker enters rage, the morale bonus to strength and constitution increases to +6 and the morale bonus to will saves increases to +3.
13th At 13th level, the berserker no longer becomes fatigued at the end of their rage.
17th At 17th level, when the berserker enters rage, the morale bonus to strength and constitution increases to +8 and the morale bonus to will saves increases to +4.

Feral This variety of brute calls upon powers of the natural world, namely animal spirits, to increase their strength and toughness in battle. They may be native warriors calling upon the same spirits they have for milennia, or they may be martial artists that have taken their imitation of the animal world to new extremes.
1st A feral brute can call upon a totem spirit, a specific spirit that accompanies them on their journey and embodies some aspect of their essence. They can fuse their essence with this spirit, becoming more bestial. The feral can fuse at will, activating or deactivating the ability as a swift action. While fused, the feral brute gins a +2 morale bonus to strength and a +1 bonus to natural armor, but takes a -2 penalty to will saves. While fused, the feral cannot use any intelligence or charisma based skills, with the exception of intimidate, or any ability that requires patience or concentration. If the feral falls unconscious, the fusion immediately ends.
5th At 5th level, when the feral is fused, they gain a +2 morale bonus to constitution. This increase grants the feral an additional hit point per hit die, but these points disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points.
9th At 9th level, when the feral is fused, the bonus to strength +4 and the bonus to natural armor increases to +2.
13th At 13th level, when the feral is fused, the bonus to constitution increases to +4.
17th At 17th level, when the feral is fused, the bonus to strength and constitution increases to +6, and the bonus to natural armor increase to +3.

Earthen (WIP) This variety of brute gains great strength and resilience through a deep, supernatural connection to earth and the landscape around him. They become unstoppable juggernauts of terrible strength, shrugging off fearsome blows as they bear down like an avalanche on their foes.
1st
5th
9th
13th
17th

Bravery: Starting at 2nd level, a brute gains a +1 bonus on will saves against fear. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels of brute after 2nd.

Feat of Strength: At 2nd level and every even-numbered level thereafter, a brute selects a feat of strength from the list below. They may select from the list of general feats of strength, or from the list of feats of strength specific to their brute path. The choices cannot be changed once made, and the brute cannot select the same feat of strength more than once, unless otherwise noted.

Mettle: At 3rd level and higher, a brute can resist magical or unusual effects with great fortitude or willpower. If the brute makes a successful fortitude or will save against an effect that would normally have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a save of fortitude or will partial), they instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping brute does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Damage Reduction: At 3rd level, a brute gains damage reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the brute takes each time they are dealt damage by a weapon, natural attack, or other physical damage source. At 7th level and every 4 levels thereafter, this damage reduction increases by 1. Damage reduction can reduce an attack’s damage to 0 but not below 0.

Admiral Squish
2013-12-06, 04:12 PM
Feats of Strength:

General
Powerful Blow

Bleeding Blow

Body Bludgeon

Brawler

Greater Brawler

Clear Mind

Crippling Blow

Surprise Accuracy

Deadly Accuracy

Disruptive

Inured to Energy

Flesh Wound

Guarded Life

Lesser Hurling

Hurling

Greater Hurling

Hurling Charge

Increased Damage Reduction

Internal Fortitude

Knockback

Knockdown

Lethal Accuracy

Mighty Swing

Rolling Dodge

Smasher

Spellbreaker

Swift Foot

Sprint

Strength Surge

Unexpected Strike

Superstition

Defender
Master of Armor

Master of Shields

Boasting Taunt

Come And Get Me

Guarded Stance
-
-
-
-
-

Berserker
Moment of Clarity

Reckless Abandon

Inspire Ferocity

Roused Anger

Intimidating Glare

Terrifying Howl

Fearless Rage
-
-

Feral
Bite

Claws

Improved natural armor

Improved grab

Rend

Pounce

Climb

Swim

Imp. Climb

Imp. Swim

Low-Light Vision

Darkvision

Scent

Primal Scent

Earthen
Ground Breaker

Ground Breaker, Greater

Renewed Vigor

Regenerative Vigor

Renewed Vitality
-
-
-
-
-

Admiral Squish
2013-12-06, 04:15 PM
Reserved for regular feats

Admiral Squish
2013-12-08, 07:04 PM
So, this class is supposed to be highly customizable, the basic chassis designed based on the trope of The Big Guy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy) (Warning: TVtropes link). The idea is that this class can fill the role of any melee character, but also adds a bit of utility, making the character's strength into a tool that can be used both in and out of combat for a wide variety of purposes.

Kalarion
2013-12-10, 10:07 AM
Suggestion for the 13th level ability of the Ironclad path:

As long as he is wearing heavy armor, the Ironclad receives DR 1/-, increasing by 1 per four class levels. This DR can stack with one other source of DR/-. If the Ironclad has multiple other sources of DR /-, it stacks with the highest single value.

I'm not sure how to word the stacking. The basic idea is to give him some extra DR /- without making it abusable.

Admiral Squish
2013-12-10, 06:30 PM
One can never go wrong with increasing the DR, true. Though, perhaps double the current rate is a bit much. Perhaps something like:

At 13th level, an ironclad can use their armor to turn aside blows. While wearing heavy armor, the ironclad increases the damage reduction/- granted by their class levels by 2.

I was gonna go by 1/2, but then I realized the bonus would be +2 in two levels anyways, and it wouldn't increase after that.

D-naras
2014-03-05, 01:43 PM
On Ironclad 13, how about some fortification while wearing heavy armor? Or make them immune/resistan to non lethal damage. Or each turn they gain a small non stackable temporary hp pool equal to half their armor bonus.

Admiral Squish
2014-03-07, 02:28 PM
You know, I could actually see the fortification option. Much more unique than just bumping up the DR. I can't really figure out how to explain the regenerating Temp HP, though, at least without magic.

NeoSeraphi
2014-03-08, 04:51 PM
Ironclad - Wearing armor should not help you succeed grapple, trip, disarm, drag, dirty trick, or reposition checks. I like the buff to your CMD, but the buff to CMB doesn't really make sense except for Bull Rush, Sunder and Overrun.

Berserker - So a brute is better at raging than a barbarian at earlier levels huh? Well, I never really liked the long gaps between improvements on a barbarian's rage anyway, and I could see the brute just straight up replacing a barbarian, so that's fine.

Feral - Is this a (polymorph) effect? Is it a supernatural ability? This is definitely magical in nature, so if you're trying to avoid non-magic here you need to take this out. I'd like to see some natural attacks here though, doesn't make sense to basically just take a weaker, more defensive version of rage if you don't get bites and poisons and claws and rakes and wings and etc.

Earthen - Dwarven Brutes ho! Looking forward to this, but for now, let me offer some suggestions:

Break the Ground, like a barbarian
Stability like a dwarf
Tremorsense
Ignoring DR/Adamantine and hardness when you Sunder

I feel like Heavy Weapons could scale a little bit though. Maybe at 1st, 6th, 11th, and 16th, the brute gets to wield larger and larger weapons, up to a maximum of Colossal?

Admiral Squish
2014-03-09, 10:15 PM
The Brute class is supposed to replace fighter, barbarian, and in general, all the melee classes in the crossroads setting. It's sort of an all-purpose melee kind of character. The idea is to make them useful in combat, but give them some utility role as well.

Ironclad- It increases one's weight, and that weight can be better thrown around by one skilled in it's wear. In a grapple, it can help you acheive a pin. With a trip, you're you can throw your weight into the pull to increase your chance to trip. Drag, reposition, and overrun all seem like obvious applications of increased weight. Disarm and sunder, okay, you have a point. For those. I'll limit the things that the bonus applies to.

Berserker- It's only about a level faster, but yeah, since this is replacing barbarian, it's not much of an issue.

Feral- I'd have to say supernatural. It's not that I'm avoiding magical abilities, it's that I'm trying to avoid throwing magical abilities into things that don't really have a magical root. The reason they don't have natural attacks here is because the idea is to put them under the feats of strength. I mean, a deer feral wouldn't gain claw attacks. It requires a bit of customization.

Earthen- I'm actually planning to have all of those abilities as feats of strength. Well, except the stability, I could actually use that.

I don't think heavy weapons should scale. Anything larger than +1 size is a little ridiculous to look at.

NeoSeraphi
2014-03-09, 10:28 PM
The Brute class is supposed to replace fighter, barbarian, and in general, all the melee classes in the crossroads setting. It's sort of an all-purpose melee kind of character. The idea is to make them useful in combat, but give them some utility role as well.

Ah, and with that context, I can make a few more points. So, there are two main problems I have with this class if it indeed is going to be the base melee class.

1) This class does not get Sense Motive as a class skill. Not having Bluff and Diplomacy are fine, but strong silent types definitely need a way to resist the enemy rogue/bard's charm, and the brute has no Wisdom synergy nor a high Will save, so he should at least be protected from mundane trickery with a decent Sense Motive.

2) There are currently no anti-mage components to this class. The idea of a templar is core to pretty much every roleplaying game and you'll find one player in a lot of groups who loves playing a strong warrior that aggros casters if for no other reason than because he hates that game's magic system.

Ironclad- It increases one's weight, and that weight can be better thrown around by one skilled in it's wear. In a grapple, it can help you acheive a pin. With a trip, you're you can throw your weight into the pull to increase your chance to trip. Drag, reposition, and overrun all seem like obvious applications of increased weight. Disarm and sunder, okay, you have a point. For those. I'll limit the things that the bonus applies to.

Dirty Trick is also one that doesn't really seem like it'd benefit from weight. Dirty trick is pantsing your opponent or throwing sand in his face or kicking him in the crotch. It has nothing to do with strength, hell it's more roguish than warrior.

Berserker- It's only about a level faster, but yeah, since this is replacing barbarian, it's not much of an issue.

Agreed.

Feral- I'd have to say supernatural. It's not that I'm avoiding magical abilities, it's that I'm trying to avoid throwing magical abilities into things that don't really have a magical root. The reason they don't have natural attacks here is because the idea is to put them under the feats of strength. I mean, a deer feral wouldn't gain claw attacks. It requires a bit of customization.

Well, be careful about the prereqs for those feats then. Customization is good, but it won't do well to have someone who can pounce like a tiger, breathe fire like a dragon, and has 60' fly speed with good maneuverability like a hawk.

Earthen- I'm actually planning to have all of those abilities as feats of strength. Well, except the stability, I could actually use that.

I don't think heavy weapons should scale. Anything larger than +1 size is a little ridiculous to look at.

Alright.

D-naras
2014-03-10, 06:06 AM
You know, I could actually see the fortification option. Much more unique than just bumping up the DR. I can't really figure out how to explain the regenerating Temp HP, though, at least without magic.

The Temp HP can be explained by the armour absorbing blows, not you being magically tougher. You can think of it as weaker DR which applies per round instead of per hit.

Admiral Squish
2014-03-10, 02:51 PM
Alright, added sense motive to class skills.

Hmm. Mage-hunter is an option, certainly. I based the class archetypes off the TVtropes page for different kinds of Big Guy. I don't know if mage-hunter should be a archetype all it's own, but I could certainly see there being some general abilities relating to taking down magicians.
Though, I'm debating if I should roll a holy warrior archetype into this class.

Alright, I edited the ironclad 1 ability.

On feral, there are probably going to be ways to exploit the system a bit, but none of them are extremely overpowered and honestly, there's so much variance in what I'm trying to express that putting in extra limitations will make it unnecessarily limiting. Though, I would point out that dragons aren't animals, and that there's no PC-available flight in this setting.

As for armor-as-temp HP, then the attacks would be damaging the armor, and unless that magically regenerates, sooner or later you'd run out of armor.
Though, you did give me an idea for how to tweak another one of my projects, but that's not gonna happen 'til further down the road.

SuperDave
2014-08-12, 01:09 PM
Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1
+2
+0
+0
Heavy Weapons, Brute Path 1

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+0
Feat of Strength, Bravery

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+1
Mettle, DR 1/-

4th
+4
+4
+1
+1
Feat of Strength

5th
+5
+4
+1
+1
Brute Path 2

6th
+6
+5
+2
+2
Feat of Strength

7th
+7
+5
+2
+2
DR 2/-

8th
+8
+6
+2
+2
Feat of Strength

9th
+9
+6
+3
+3
Brute Path 3

10th
+10
+7
+3
+3
Feat of Strength

11th
+11
+7
+3
+3
DR 3/-

12th
+12
+8
+4
+4
Feat of Strength

13th
+13
+8
+4
+4
Brute Path 4

14th
+14
+9
+4
+4
Feat of Strength

15th
+15
+9
+5
+5
DR 4/-

16th
+16
+10
+5
+5
Feat of Strength

17th
+17
+10
+5
+5
Brute Path 5

18th
+18
+11
+6
+6
Feat of Strength

19th
+19
+11
+6
+6
DR 5/-

20th
+20
+12
+6
+6
Feat of Strength

SuperDave
2014-09-02, 07:39 PM
OK, so I'm not sure how relevant this is anymore, since you're working on Brute 2.0, but I feel like I'm a much better versed with the Pathfinder system than I was when you first created the class, so here I go with my commentary anyway.

First, the progression table needs to be fixed (http://makaze-kanra.tumblr.com/ForumTableConverter). I've already put the reformatted table in my last post, so all you'd need to do is copy-paste it into the first post.

Second, as my players have pointed out, the class needs starting gold, so players can buy weapons and armor when they're starting out. I'm guessing either Barbarian (3d6 × 10 gp, avg 105 gp) or Fighter (5d6 x 10 gp, avg 175 gp).

For ease of reading (especially since all of my players are new to the Pathfinder system), it would be most helpful if the key abilities could follow each class skill.

You say that your Brute path cannot be changed once selected, but could you multiclass into Brute again, and go down a second path?

Do tower shields even still exist in the mid-1700s?

At 17th level, an ironclad no longer automatically fails a saving throw on a result of a natural 1.
Seriously? You're just immune to doing really badly at anything, ever? Even Diplomacy, for example?

The progression for Earthen really needs completion, and all of the Feats of Strength could use some clarification. What exactly do they do? A lot of them sound familiar, but I can't place them. Are they feats, or special abilities, or what?

...and lastly, I feel like it could use a portrait of what a member of this class would look like. If I might make a suggestion? (http://www.deviantart.com/art/Warrior-243865862)

Edit: I just realized, this class (like all of the Crossroads classes) lacks a "Role" descriptor. A little blurb, maybe a few sentences long, which just describes how they fight and what role they play within the party, both on the battlefield and off.

Admiral Squish
2014-09-04, 02:28 PM
I'll be perfectly honest, I don't really intend to edit this page much until the brute v2 comes out. I'll put the table up for convenience.

Starting gold always seems like such a minor detail, I usually hold off until the class is 100% for that detail. I would say go with barbarian for now.

I don't think you can multiclass into the class you're already in.

Probably not in common use, but I should probably check. I do think a tower shield's a cool option, and I would like to make it so they're actually bulletproof. (Well, musketball proof)

No, they're immune to auto-failing SAVING THROWS. Technically speaking, the nat. 1 auto-fail doesn't apply to any other rolls, it's just a houserule a lot of people apply.

That's a pretty good pic, but I'll be keeping my eyes open for options.

Role descriptor would probably be a good idea, but it's probably one of those finishing touches that waits until the class is all done. I will add an informal one to the brute v2 once I post it, though, so it can be somewhat more accessible, then finish it out later.