PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a system with a nice design (system)

Tscroggs
2013-12-08, 03:02 PM
And I mean that in the other sense of the term.

I like to build things: Ships, spaceships, kingdoms, mechs, races, etc.

What I am interested in are systems that have excellent design systems for . . . well just about anything. It doesn't even need to be a core rulebook.

Simple or complex, I don't really care. A certain amount of . . . elegance is necessary however. I also want at least the basic of the game to be in the same book. A system with supplements is fine, but I want to be able to at least have the generalities with one purchase.

The other requirement is that the book mentioned be available as a PDF.

Please mention the name of the book when you post so I can find it, and no arguing, save that for another thread.

Books that don't need to be mentioned:
Babylon 5
MechWarrior
Gurps
Eclipse Phase
Numera
Slag
Starshield
Mutants and Masterminds
d20 Modern/Future
Dungeons and Dragons (all editions)
Pathfinder
Hero System

Rhynn
2013-12-08, 03:20 PM
Stars Without Number: sectors, planets, ships, factions.

Adventurer Conqueror King System: class and spell design. Also organic/dice-based dungeon creation. Also, you can build entire empires and kingdoms, domain by domain and city by city, then build trade routes between them. (All pre-game.)

Traveller: sectors, spaceships.

Elderand
2013-12-08, 03:54 PM
I'd say true 20 for a bit of everything
True sorcery for spells
Star wars saga, specificly starships of the galaxy for starships (duh)
Whatever use the Fate system might work.

skyth
2013-12-08, 11:47 PM
Spacemaster lets you design ships/vehicles. However, the design rules are in a different book (Star Strike/Armored Assault).

Traveller allows you to design ships as well. Different versions have different strengths :) I love designing things, but the combat rules leave a bit to be desired in my opinion. Background is great though :)