PDA

View Full Version : PF - Ranged Magus Archetype (PEACH)

Red Bear
2013-12-13, 07:14 PM
Ranged Magus Archetype

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A magus is also proficient with the buckler. He can cast magus spells while wearing a buckler without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.

Class Skills
A magus adds Perception to his list of class skills and removes Intimidate from his list of class skills.

Bonus Spells
The magus adds several ranged-specific spells to his class spell list.
1st — Aspect of the Falcon, Gravity Bow, Abundant Ammunition; 2nd — Arrow Eruption; Ricochet Shot; 4th —Bow Spirit, Venomous Bolt, Named Bullet; 6th - Greater Named Bullet.

Arcane Pool (Su)
Add Distance and Seeking to, and remove Dancing and Vorpal from the list of weapon properties that can be added to the ranged magus weapon.
This ability changes and otherwise functions like the Arcane Pool class feature.

Spell Combat (Ex)
At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his ranged weapon at the same time. This functions much like Rapid Shot, but the second arrow is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must be wielding a bow (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components). As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his ranged weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty).
This ability changes and otherwise functions like the Spell Combat class feature.

Spellstrike (Su)
At 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any ranged weapon he is wielding as part of a ranged attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free ranged attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this ranged attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell.
This ability changes and otherwise functions like the Spellstrike class feature.

Arcane Archery Arcana
Any Arcana that states it requires a “melee weapon” must be used with a ranged weapon instead, and all melee touch attacks allowed must be used as ranged touch attacks, provided the magus follows all other rules for spell combat and spellstrike. An arcane archer gains access to the following magus arcana. He cannot select any arcana more than once.

Ranged Spellstrike (Su): A magus can use spellstrike to cast a single-target touch attack ranged spell and deliver it through a ranged weapon attack. A magus using a multiple-target spell with this ability may deliver one ray or line of effect with each attack when using a full-attack action, up to the maximum allowed by the spell (in the case of ray effects).

Imbue Arrow (Su): A magus gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell's area is centered where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the magus to use the bow's range rather than the spell's range. A spell cast in this way uses its standard casting time and the magus can fire the arrow as part of the casting. If the arrow misses, the spell is wasted. The magus can make this attack in concert with spell combat, this ranged attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat attacks. The magus must be at least 6th level before selecting this arcana.

Seeker Arrow (Su): A magus can launch an arrow at a target known to him within range, and the arrow travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the arrow's range prevents the arrow's flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the arrow is part of the action). Using this ability consumes one point from arcane pool. As a full round action similarly to the rapid shot feat the magus can launch this arrow and make a full attack, but all his attacks take a -2 penalty to attack roll. Improved Spell Combat reduces these penalties. The seeker arrow replace the extra arrow from the rapid shot feat.The magus must be at least 8th level before selecting this arcana.

Phase Arrow (Su): A magus can launch an arrow once per day at a target known to him within range, and the arrow travels to the target in a straight path, passing through any nonmagical barrier or wall in its way. (Any magical barrier stops the arrow.) This ability negates cover, concealment, armor, and shield modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action(and shooting the arrow is part of the action).As a full round action similarly to the rapid shot feat the magus can launch this arrow and make a full attack, but all his attacks take a -2 penalty to attack roll. Improved Spell Combat reduces these penalties. The phase arrow replace the extra arrow from the rapid shot feat. The magus must be at least 10th level before selecting this arcana.

Hail of Arrows (Su): In lieu of his regular attacks, once per day a magus can fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every two magus level she has earned. Each attack uses the magus's primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow. The magus must be at least 12th level before selecting this arcana.

Arrow of Death (Su): A magus can create a special type of slaying arrow that forces the target, if damaged by the arrow's attack, to make a Fortitude save or be slain immediately. The DC of this save is equal to 20. It takes 1 day to make a slaying arrow, and the arrow only functions for the magus who created it. The slaying arrow lasts no longer than 1 year, and the archer can only have one such arrow in existence at a time. The magus must be at least 15th level before selecting this arcana.

Spell Access (Su)
At 7th level, the magus gains access to an expanded spell list. He learns and places 8 spells from the wizard’s spell list into his spellbook as magus spells of their wizard level. He gains two of each of the following wizard spells not on the magus spell list: 0-level, 1st-level, 2nd-level, 3rd-level.
He can ignore the somatic component of these spells, casting them without the normal chance of spell failure.
This ability replaces the medium armor ability.

Additional Bonus Feats
At 8th and 14th level the magus gains two additional Bonus Feats, as the magus ability.
This ability replaces improved spell combat and greater spell combat.

Improved Spell Combat (Ex)
At 13th level, the magus suffers no penalty to attack rolls for using spell combat
This ability replaces heavy armor.

True Magus (Su)
Remove: "Whenever he uses his spell combat ability, he does not need to make a concentration check to cast the spell defensively"
Add: "he can choose to increase the DC of his arrow of death by +2"
This ability and otherwise functions like the True Magus class feature.

Feel free to write any comment, opinion or thought, I'm mainly interested in knowing what you think about the balance of this archetype

boros_blitz
2013-12-14, 08:03 PM
I like it. A lot, actually. As soon as I can get into a game I actually really want to use this. Only thing that would make it even better would be for it to be compatible with the black blade. It's simple and doesn't look overpowered at first glance, and fills a niche which I know a lot of people want filled. Thanks! :smallsmile:

SassyQuatch
2013-12-14, 08:47 PM
My biggest problem is with Spell Combat. It specifically refers to only being usable while wielding a bow while other abilities do not. I also gimps the archetype since it removes access of a core archetype ability to crossbows, slings, javelins, darts, firearms, etc. etc. etc.

Which is OK if you want to make an arcane archer, but since you say that you want a ranged Magus it is a glaring weakness.

Red Bear
2013-12-15, 09:35 AM
"Counterstrike should be changed too, but I'm not sure how. I have these two ideas but I'm not convinced about them:
1)Countershot (Ex)
At 16th level, whenever a character within one range increment of a ranged weapon that the arcane archer is wielding casts a spell, the arcane archer can make a free attack against the caster with that ranged weapon. **This free attack functions as an attack of opportunity (and counts against the number of attacks of opportunity that the arcane archer can make in a round), except that it can only be used once per round. This attack cannot disrupt the spell. Characters who successfully cast defensively do not trigger this ability, unless the arcane archer is threatening the caster with his ranged weapon (such as through the Snap Shot feat).
This ability changes and otherwise works like counterstrike.

2) Add Antimagic field to the magus spell list (Very seful with the imbue arrow ability)
This ability replaces counterstike

I like it. A lot, actually. As soon as I can get into a game I actually really want to use this. Only thing that would make it even better would be for it to be compatible with the black blade. It's simple and doesn't look overpowered at first glance, and fills a niche which I know a lot of people want filled. Thanks! :smallsmile:
I suppose you could create a "black bow" or any other "black ranged weapon" archetype that works exactly like the "bladebound (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound)" but with a ranged weapon instead of a one-handed slashing weapon. Although if you combine the archetypes you're gonna have to take the feat "extra arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/extra-arcana)" if you want all the arcane archery arcana.
Let me know if you use this archetype in a game :smallsmile:

My biggest problem is with Spell Combat. It specifically refers to only being usable while wielding a bow while other abilities do not. I also gimps the archetype since it removes access of a core archetype ability to crossbows, slings, javelins, darts, firearms, etc. etc. etc.

Which is OK if you want to make an arcane archer, but since you say that you want a ranged Magus it is a glaring weakness.

Good point, I didn't consider firearms because I've never played a game with them. I thought that if you're going to use a ranged weapon you're probably going to use the bow since it's usually better and I wasn't sure how to deal with the reloading of slings and crossbow, but I suppose that you can change "This functions much like Rapid Shot, but the second arrow is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must be wielding a bow (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components). " with "This functions much like Rapid Shot, but the second ranged attack is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must be wielding a single ranged weapon (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components). "

My "problem" is that if you're using a javelin or a crossbow without having the quick draw or rapid reload feat respectively you couldn't make an extra attack with the rapid shot feat and I think that this "disadvantage" should be reflected in some way in the spell combat ability.

SassyQuatch
2013-12-15, 04:40 PM
Good point, I didn't consider firearms because I've never played a game with them. I thought that if you're going to use a ranged weapon you're probably going to use the bow since it's usually better and I wasn't sure how to deal with the reloading of slings and crossbow, but I suppose that you can change "This functions much like Rapid Shot, but the second arrow is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must be wielding a bow (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components). " with "This functions much like Rapid Shot, but the second ranged attack is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must be wielding a single ranged weapon (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components). "

My "problem" is that if you're using a javelin or a crossbow without having the quick draw or rapid reload feat respectively you couldn't make an extra attack with the rapid shot feat and I think that this "disadvantage" should be reflected in some way in the spell combat ability.
Then, like I said, you have an Arcane Archer archetype, not a ranged Magus.

Relying on Rapid Shot is a waste of opportunities since it is more limited in this instance than the Two-Weapon Fighting feat it replaces. Being able to cast a spell from an off hand should be possible with almost every ranged weapon (most can be fired with one hand and the other hand is free unless actively reloading), not limited to one.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-12-15, 09:06 PM
I'll be honest: this looks a fair bit like you've designed an archetype just so you can play it, not so that it's well balanced or designed. Generally speaking, this ends poorly for everyone involved.

Where'd Perception come from? You didn't significantly change the flavor of the magus core, but you've added Perception as a class skill and removed intimidate... why?
Why add a Bucker? At low levels you're already going to be naturally harder to hit than the standard magus due to being at range, what's the point of making that even bigger?
You did one of two things with True Magus, depending on the character: You made the capstone flat out worse, or you forced the character into a feature tax.
With Spell Combat, you defined it as acting like rapid shot, then turned around and completely overwrote that definition in every way by repeating the penalty and then changing the action type to full-round action from full attack action (a specific kind of full round action).
You should remove Keen from Arcane Pool, because it can't be used with ranged weapons at all. The replacement for this is the spell Aspect of the Falcon, and the Bracers of Falcon's Aim (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracers-of-falcon-s-aim).

Red Bear
2013-12-16, 05:49 AM
Ilorin Lorati, thank you for your answer.

I'll be honest: this looks a fair bit like you've designed an archetype just so you can play it, not so that it's well balanced or designed.
This is a fair bit true, I wrote this for a specific need I had, but I tried a little to make it "neutral" and balanced

Where'd Perception come from? You didn't significantly change the flavor of the magus core, but you've added Perception as a class skill and removed intimidate... why?
Perception is the most appropriate skill for an archer, I've seen archer archetypes that give perception as class skill and/or give a bonus to perception. I removed intimidate to balance the gain of perception, I chose intimidate because I thought it made sense that an archer is less menacing than a melee fighter.

Why add a Bucker? At low levels you're already going to be naturally harder to hit than the standard magus due to being at range, what's the point of making that even bigger?

Because the buckler is a very ranged specific item, every archer should wear a buckler in D&d since there are no penalties for ranged attacks, so it makes sense that a ranged magus would use one. IMO It makes perfect sense from a logic/fluff standpoint, but you might be right about balance, considering that at low-mid level you can buy this ability for 1000 gp (mithral buckler).

You did one of two things with True Magus, depending on the character: You made the capstone flat out worse, or you forced the character into a feature tax.
making an ability flat out worse is acceptable if something else in archetype is better, altough maybe it shouldn't be done with the capstone ability. I never intended to insert a feature tax, I'll think about rewriting this.
EDIT: I thought about it and I've come to the conclusion that you're totally right, the improved arrow of death doesn't make sense in the true magus. I think I should write in the arrow of death ability that the DC increases at lvl 20 and write something else for the true magus.

With Spell Combat, you defined it as acting like rapid shot,
I did this because rapid shot is the ranged equivalent of two weapon fighting and the original spell combat is defined as acting like two weapon fighting.

then turned around and completely overwrote that definition in every way by repeating the penalty and then changing the action type to full-round action from full attack action (a specific kind of full round action).

I never intended to overwrite the rapid shot definition, I should have paid more attention when writing, I'll look through the archetype again.

You should remove Keen from Arcane Pool, because it can't be used with ranged weapons at all. The replacement for this is the spell Aspect of the Falcon, and the Bracers of Falcon's Aim (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracers-of-falcon-s-aim).

I always thought keen can be used with ranged weapons that use arrows or bolts since they do piercing damage.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-12-16, 01:26 PM
Perception is the most appropriate skill for an archer, I've seen archer archetypes that give perception as class skill and/or give a bonus to perception. I removed intimidate to balance the gain of perception, I chose intimidate because I thought it made sense that an archer is less menacing than a melee fighter.

Fair.

Because the buckler is a very ranged specific item, every archer should wear a buckler in D&d since there are no penalties for ranged attacks, so it makes sense that a ranged magus would use one. IMO It makes perfect sense from a logic/fluff standpoint, but you might be right about balance, considering that at low-mid level you can buy this ability for 1000 gp (mithral buckler).

Just because they mechanically should doesn't mean it makes thematic sense. Historically, bucklers were used as melee weapons alongside light swords such as rapiers (hence the people called swashbucklers). Bucklers are actually incredibly poor defense against ranged attacks (again, historically) because of their small size, so including it in a ranged archetype doesn't make much sense.

making an ability flat out worse is acceptable if something else in archetype is better, altough maybe it shouldn't be done with the capstone ability. I never intended to insert a feature tax, I'll think about rewriting this.

EDIT: I thought about it and I've come to the conclusion that you're totally right, the improved arrow of death doesn't make sense in the true magus. I think I should write in the arrow of death ability that the DC increases at lvl 20 and write something else for the true magus.

The original Arrow of Death (from Arcane Archer) had a DC of 20 + the character's Cha mod. Since the arrow isn't a capstone ability here, why not set the DC to 10 + 1/2 level + Int mod? That's the standard DC setup for d20.

I did this because rapid shot is the ranged equivalent of two weapon fighting and the original spell combat is defined as acting like two weapon fighting.

I never intended to overwrite the rapid shot definition, I should have paid more attention when writing, I'll look through the archetype again.

This is fair. While generally I'd argue the same thing against the wording of the original Spell Combat, there's no point in rewriting Paizo's wording entirely without reason.

I always thought keen can be used with ranged weapons that use arrows or bolts since they do piercing damage.

Keen explicitly states that it can only be used with melee slashing and piercing weapons. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/keen)

Red Bear
2013-12-16, 01:52 PM
Just because they mechanically should doesn't mean it makes thematic sense. Historically, bucklers were used as melee weapons alongside light swords such as rapiers (hence the people called swashbucklers). Bucklers are actually incredibly poor defense against ranged attacks (again, historically) because of their small size, so including it in a ranged archetype doesn't make much sense.
You're right.

The original Arrow of Death (from Arcane Archer) had a DC of 20 + the character's Cha mod. Since the arrow isn't a capstone ability here, why not set the DC to 10 + 1/2 level + Int mod? That's the standard DC setup for d20.
I always thought that DC of 20 + the character's Cha mod was kinda odd, I've seen many variants with a DC of just 20. I don't know if they expected cha to be low in a AA because usually is a ranger/wizard, or if they should just have wrote 20 + casting stat considering that an AA can be a ranger/sorcerer. I like the idea of setting a DC that goes up with level, but considering what I just wrote I'm not sure if 10 + 1/2 level + Int mod is too high or if it's perfect.

This is fair. While generally I'd argue the same thing against the wording of the original Spell Combat, there's no point in rewriting Paizo's wording entirely without reason.
When I have some free time I'll read more carefully the spell combat ability.

Keen explicitly states that it can only be used with melee slashing and piercing weapons. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/keen)
ops... you're right, thank you

P.s. what do you think of an ability that changes the bow critical to 19-20 x2?