PDA

View Full Version : The Rivalry Contest Thread

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-16, 10:42 PM
The Rivalry Contest

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/RolandGitP/duel.jpg
(Larry Elmore is my hero.)

"Look, this isn't an argument! It's just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says!"

This month's contest is to describe and design two beings who are locked in some kind of ongoing rivalry. It need not be formal, fated, or fatal, though it could be any or all of these things. To make things a little more interesting there's a theme: hearts. As usual, this theme can be taken literally, poetically, or in just about any other way your heart desires.

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until Noon, February 14 (Eastern US Time). Please remember, as always, to follow the general contest guidelines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1396387&postcount=2).

The Rules:

1.) You will be creating two beings involved in some kind of rivalry. Name your entry something to differentiate it from others.
2.) Your entry must include the following:

A description of the pair involved in the rivalry with backstory and stats (as applicable).
Some "crunchy" element such as an item, spell, PrC, or other rule element that fits into the rivalry somehow.
A good entry will demonstrate the heart theme.
Entries should be for D&D only, and not specific to any particular setting (e.g. Forgotten Realms or Eberron.) Try to avoid referencing non-core/SRD books if at all possible, but do what you have to do.
Each new entry should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that set of items and the discussion of it. Put the tag [RIVALRY] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.
Post on the Entry Thread to let the mods know that you have completed your [RIVALRY] entry. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference. This post in the Entry Thread is where you must post a link to your thread to be officially entered.Categories of voting and judgment will include the following:

Best Overall Rivalry
Best Articulation of the Theme
Best Crunchy Element
Funniest Entry
Rookie Award
Roland's Choice (Staff) AwardIf you are eligible for the Rookie award (this is your first entry in an official GitP Design Contest) please note that in your post to the Entry Thread. Otherwise, everyone is eligible for everything else - no need to indicate anything.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them to this thread. Good luck!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-16, 11:26 PM
Though once again no entry immediately comes to mind, I must say, Coolest. Contest. Yet! :smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-01-16, 11:30 PM
I was gonna post the same thing kinda but I didn't know if this thread was for posting.

So yeah, this might be the first contest I participate in : )

*thinks*

geez3r
2007-01-16, 11:57 PM
Huh, I may just have to try for that rookie award....

Fax Celestis
2007-01-17, 12:18 PM
Teh. Awesum. I'll start the ol' cogz a turnin'.

EndlessEnnui
2007-01-17, 01:49 PM
Neat way to take some little thing I suggested (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1684442&postcount=13) and tweak it into something truly inspiration-seeding, RSJ!

These seeds, they are a' sproutin'...

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-17, 03:57 PM
Neat way to take some little thing I suggested (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1684442&postcount=13) and tweak it into something truly inspiration-seeding, RSJ!

These seeds, they are a' sproutin'...

Thank you very much! Kudos on the suggestion, too! It jibed with an idea I had recently while making a character for a superhero game I'm in (he has a rival superhero who always seems to be one step behind him and maybe slowly turning toward evil as a result of his mounting frustration.) Your suggestion came just at the right time and seemed like a good idea with lots of room for creativity and variety.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-17, 08:53 PM
Definitely joining this as a rookie. I wanna try making a legacy character. It fits, and they're cool. *loves his new rulebooks* ^_^

Grey Watcher
2007-01-18, 01:49 AM
Hmmmm.... I'll have to ruminate on this subject. I've almost go something....

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-18, 12:10 PM
Hmmmm.... I'll have to ruminate on this subject. I've almost go something....
Yeah, me to, jusssst on the tip of my brain.

Grey Watcher
2007-01-18, 11:35 PM
OK, I've got an idea, but I think I'm going to have to use one of the Complete books. Is that kosher. How much are we going to have to stick to the SRD stuff?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-18, 11:41 PM
The rules say "do what you have to do," so I don't think there's a penalty.

PhoeKun
2007-01-18, 11:45 PM
Ah, crap. Here I am diligently creating an entry for this, my first contest, and only now do I see the "try and stick to the SRD" bit.

Way to kill my confidence, text.

edit: while I'm here, how should I be handling that stuff? Should I just reference the books I'm using? Write out the relevant details? Both?

Grey Watcher
2007-01-18, 11:52 PM
Well, my basic idea is rival artists: A singer (Bard/Virtuoso (PrC from Complete Adventurer)) and a dancer (Rogue/Shadowdancer). What their point of conention is, and how "heart" fits into it is not entirely clear.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-19, 01:01 AM
Pffttt, I've never really kept too closely to the SRD stuff, and some contests, like the organization one, though not relying on non-core, had a category or two for voting based soley on stuff from a non-SRD book.

So all in all, do what you like if it can't stay core. I've never really given it a second thought and not done too badly.

Dareon
2007-01-19, 06:05 AM
Typically, I've seen either explaining the stuff used (If it's Open Game Content (None of the Complete books are, if memory serves)), or noting which book it came from and providing an alternative. For instance, someone using a Warlock may say (Source: Complete Arcane. If unavailable, use a Sorcerer specializing in ray spells.). It's usually not too big a deal, though.

Ptolemy
2007-01-20, 09:49 PM
Are we allowed to work with a partner? I'm not usually one for group work, but I'm a D&D noob. I really think I have a great idea as far as character background, but I'm lost on the stats and building. Is anyone interested in such an arrangement?

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-20, 09:59 PM
Are we allowed to work with a partner?...

Sorry, no.

From the general contest rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=16&a=19)

6. Under normal circumstances, all entries must consist of the work of one contestant. In other words, team entries are not allowed unless specified otherwise for a particular contest.

I'd suggest that you do the best you can on the stats. Also, post early so that you have time to get some feedback from others. And, you can post in the Homebrew section, too, to get feedback.

But the work has to be yours.

Ptolemy
2007-01-21, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Roland. I'll get to work, homework willing.

Amotis
2007-01-21, 04:16 PM
If you pm me Ptolemy I can help all I can too.

Also, I'm having fun making my entry : )

Geneticist
2007-01-21, 06:49 PM
I think that I'll make this my first entry. I'm tempted to do a pirate one, but that would be way too much of a ripoff from Pirates of the Caribbean. ah well.

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-21, 07:14 PM
I think that I'll make this my first entry. I'm tempted to do a pirate one, but that would be way too much of a ripoff from Pirates of the Caribbean. ah well.

It's not a "rip-off" - it's an "homage" :smallwink:

Varen_Tai
2007-01-23, 11:55 AM
My first contest application! yay me!

PhoeKun
2007-01-23, 12:38 PM
Query: to mark oneself as a rookie entrant, should that note be made in the thread title, or in the post to the entry thread? Or both? Neither?

...Just rambling now.

Amotis
2007-01-23, 01:42 PM
I, as a rookie too, am scared of all the big people showing interest and making threads for this contest.
*cowers*

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-23, 02:13 PM
Query: to mark oneself as a rookie entrant, should that note be made in the thread title, or in the post to the entry thread? Or both? Neither?

...Just rambling now.

Definitely in the Entry Thread post (as required by the rules) but I would say in the thread title would be a great idea, too.

I, as a rookie too, am scared of all the big people showing interest and making threads for this contest.
*cowers*

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Varen_Tai
2007-01-23, 02:22 PM
If we decide to submit more than one, are both up for the rookie award?

kuja.girl
2007-01-23, 03:01 PM
Okay I have a really silly but fun idea. I'm not all that good at tweaking game mechanics but I'll manage.

My idea will be roughly based on the well known story about a knave and some tarts.

It might be more of a "rivalry triangle" than a pair though.

Silly question, but are illustrations allowed?

PhoeKun
2007-01-23, 05:15 PM
Definitely in the Entry Thread post (as required by the rules) but I would say in the thread title would be a great idea, too.

Wow, that really makes me wish I could alter thread titles. I can, I'm just an idiot.

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-23, 05:23 PM
If we decide to submit more than one, are both up for the rookie award?

Yes.

Okay I have a really silly but fun idea. I'm not all that good at tweaking game mechanics but I'll manage.

My idea will be roughly based on the well known story about a knave and some tarts.

It might be more of a "rivalry triangle" than a pair though.

Silly question, but are illustrations allowed?

Yes. Many people use a picture of some kind that they, um, find somewhere. So if you make the drawing yourself, definitely indicate that somewhere for whatever that might be worth to the judges.

kuja.girl
2007-01-23, 05:32 PM
Okay - will do.
I'll be doing the drawings myself if I can get everything else worked out in time.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-01-24, 05:36 PM
When's it due? I may go for rookie.

Amotis
2007-01-24, 05:56 PM
The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until Noon, February 14 (Eastern US Time).

There ya go.

Maxymiuk
2007-01-28, 10:37 AM
Ha, I'm in. Got an excellent idea the moment I read the theme. I'm a rookie, but let's see how well I can do.

MaxAtkins
2007-02-02, 05:25 PM
Ok I have a question.
This will be my first time entering, I really do like writing though so I hope to get something really decent in.

I only have the 3.0 edition of the players handbook, and only few other supplyments. Seeing as there's a charachter record and stuff required, will this be a problem?

If yes, I'd like to request to team with some1 :P I'll do backgrounds and everything and some1 else just cover the stats for the charachter and his item/rule/spell etc.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-02, 05:30 PM
Team entries are not permitted (see the rules), but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would just note that it is under 3.0, and anyone who wants to use it in the future can do the conversion. (Or maybe some helpful commenters can point out to you where changes need to be made!)

MaxAtkins
2007-02-02, 07:28 PM
Team entries are not permitted (see the rules), but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would just note that it is under 3.0, and anyone who wants to use it in the future can do the conversion. (Or maybe some helpful commenters can point out to you where changes need to be made!)

Alright, thank you :smallbiggrin: I'll start working on it this weekend, maybe I can fix together something nice.

AngelSword
2007-02-07, 05:05 AM
Ah, the contests. The last contest I entered (I think) was the "Spell Theme Contest" where I won "I Want That Spell!"

I just hope my entry is as widely accepted.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-07, 05:42 AM
Oh, damn!

How did I miss this? Bad self! No biscuit!
*hops on in as a rookie*

I've got to think of how I could apply my title character...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-07, 02:44 PM
For some reason my inspiration has been hovering just above empty for a month now. Hope I can get the brain juices going before the deadline or it'll be the first contest I've missed since I joined these forums :smallfrown:

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-07, 03:17 PM
That's sad, VT. You're the most creative person on the boards, and quite possibly that I've ever met. I hope you can develop something.

kuja.girl
2007-02-07, 06:06 PM
My idea probably isn't going to go happen either - after rereading the contest and thinking about my original idea, they're not a great match.

I did make some fun character sketches though.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-07, 06:12 PM
I got a concept... I just haven't had time to sit down and do the crunch...

Amotis
2007-02-07, 09:14 PM
My idea probably isn't going to go happen either - after rereading the contest and thinking about my original idea, they're not a great match.

I did make some fun character sketches though.

Can we see?

kuja.girl
2007-02-08, 04:11 PM
Can we see?

Sure. But understand that these were only initial sketches, nothing fancy and no clean up. Personally, I like how the dog came out. He's fat, but cute :smallsmile:

"Queen" of hearts
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8476/queenpr7.jpg

"King," her dog
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6355/kinginule5.jpg

Amotis
2007-02-08, 04:30 PM
Hehe, heart butt. Yeah, you're right, he is cute. Nice Job. :D

badger
2007-02-10, 06:25 PM
Question: Being totally new to this whole "forum" thing, who gets to vote on these entries, and how does one go about that? (Assuming they can vote.)

For what it's worth, here's my rookie entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34439).

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-10, 06:31 PM
Question: Being totally new to this whole "forum" thing, who gets to vote on these entries, and how does one go about that? (Assuming they can vote.)

For what it's worth, here's my rookie entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34439).

Anyone can vote. All you have to do is send a Private Message to VOTE. After the contest closes, I'll put up a post listing (and linking) all the properly submitted entries. Then you have about seven days to vote.

You can check out the Contest Rules here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=16&a=19).

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-10, 06:40 PM
I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned any martial artists yet. I mean, come on... every b-rated chop-suey martial arts flick has the good martial artist and his arch-rival he has to defeat...

I'm thinking a core Monk who had a star pupil whom he loved as a daughter. However, she sought greater power than her master could provide, and went Swordsage instead.

He still cares for her, and if he defeated her, would likely spare her. She, on the other hand, has grown corrupt in her newfound power, and would gladly slay her former master if she could.

Love and hate... the very essense of 'heart', don't you think?

kuja.girl
2007-02-10, 08:14 PM
Love and hate... the very essense of 'heart', don't you think?

Dude, I'm surprised no one's brought up Capn't Planet yet :smallbiggrin:

PhoeKun
2007-02-10, 08:23 PM
Someone has. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32481)

kuja.girl
2007-02-10, 11:00 PM
Someone has. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32481)
rofl oh. wow. that's horrible in a wonderful way.

Duke of URL
2007-02-12, 01:33 PM
I was going to ask where why there was a "Crunchy" category and not a "Fluff" one until the caffeine kicked in and I realized that the main competition is the "Fluff" category... :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-13, 10:26 AM
This is one of the most interesting contests yet and I don't think I'm going to have an entry.

50 gp reward to anyone who finds my missing inspiration.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-13, 10:30 AM
I thought I had it, but I've petered out because I can't stat things for...small, fuzzy mammals.

I might submit what I have anyway, outlining abilities and base character stuff without actualy statting it.

Amotis
2007-02-13, 11:20 AM
This is one of the most interesting contests yet and I don't think I'm going to have an entry.

50 gp reward to anyone who finds my missing inspiration.

Okay...this one's about Adam Sandler...

...and he's pregnant...

...with a robot...

...from the future...

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-13, 02:07 PM
Okay...this one's about Adam Sandler...

...and he's pregnant...

...with a robot...

...from the future...

Well...we know who DIDN'T take it...

kuja.girl
2007-02-13, 03:39 PM
The child would probaly look like a cross between robo-cop and chris farley.

Ack, the horror

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-14, 11:05 AM
Bombs awaaaaaay!
Hey, VT, you got something? Awesome!
The Stain of Guilt spell looks really, really nifty...

Amotis
2007-02-14, 11:55 AM
Five minutes! Can VT make it?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-14, 11:57 AM
Five minutes! Can VT make it?
Whoa, what?! I thought I'd read 12 midnight today...

Gaaaaah!

Amotis
2007-02-14, 11:58 AM
The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until Noon, February 14 (Eastern US Time). Please remember, as always, to follow the general contest guidelines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1396387&postcount=2).

Am I converting Eastern Time wrong? (I changed my board time)

edito - Oooh, bummers VT. Perhaps you should move your computer before you make some headdesk time.

PhoeKun
2007-02-14, 11:58 AM
Bah, simu'd.

You did your conversion right - there's 1 minute left.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-14, 11:59 AM
Whoa, what?! I thought I'd read 12 midnight today...

Gaaaaah!
Don't give up! Call it a late entry, and come in to save the day all Saturday-Morning-Cartoon style!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-14, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I'd gotten the times for this mixed up with the Iron Author contest.

*sobs*

I thought I still had the rest of the say. Could have finished this by now if I was 'really' going at it.

Don't give up! Call it a late entry, and come in to save the day all Saturday-Morning-Cartoon style!
I doubt that'd work. I still have Josiah and the hag to stat up.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-14, 12:02 PM
I doubt that'd work. I still have Josiah and the hag to stat up.
Nooooooo...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-14, 12:07 PM
Nooooooo...
I'm going to complete the entry even if I don't get to be voted on.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-14, 12:14 PM
I was hoping you'd say that. I mean, if anyone should get the deadline extended, it'd be you. You're like...condensed muse ether. Or something.

Amotis
2007-02-14, 02:56 PM
When does voting start? Or end, for that matter?

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-14, 04:08 PM
When does voting start? Or end, for that matter?

See the official Voting Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2021214#post2021214).

Amotis
2007-02-14, 04:32 PM
Cool, thanks. *updates sig*

MaxAtkins
2007-02-17, 03:31 PM
Due to me being sick for the past 5 days, i wasn't able to finish my entry/get it up on time.
I will thus pass on this contest, but if anyone still wants to see my entry, I might type it up later. The concept was 2 males of the same age, who lived in a small forest village. 1 Was chosen to be a druid, while the other's heart turned evil out of jealously, and gets corrupted by an evil forest spirit.
The storyline was pretty damn long, and it's several pages.
With the story also came a way for the scence to be adapted into a D&D setting.

So, if anyone's interested, I can still finish this :smallsmile: