PDA

View Full Version : The Knight

October
2007-01-17, 06:39 AM
Has anybody else read this awesome book by Gene Wolfe?

Telonius
2007-01-17, 03:28 PM
Yes, I have; its sequel as well. It's very much in Wolfe's style. Really, really good at evoking mood and details. But there are transition points where I just don't have a clue what's going on, and have to go back and re-read the paragraph five or six times to figure it out. I noticed this in Book of the Long Sun and his Severian books too; it's particularly noticeable when he changes perspective from looking at one character to looking at another. That's my only gripe about it, and I think that's just the author's style. It's definitely a good read, and really evokes the feel of a lot of the old poetry.

Its sequel, The Wizard, feels like he tried to cram too much into it. I think it could have just as well been a trilogy; it would have had some more satisfying plot resolution.

Mr._Blinky
2007-01-28, 07:46 PM
Sorry for the late post, but I just found this thread. Yeah, I read it and its sequal, and it's one of those books that the back synopsis really doesn't do justice. From the back, it sounds like a stupid, boring, Wizard-of-Oz-esque cliche, but it's actually a remarkably good read.