PDA

View Full Version : Custom Legacy Weapon

Morof Stonehands
2013-12-20, 11:42 AM
So I am going to be (hopefully) getting my own custom legacy weapon for the campaign I am in.

Quick run down/back-story: Died, went to hell, made a deal with Dispater to return me to life, he gives me a super awesome sword to be his Material Plane champion.

So here is my idea:
{table=head]Level|Benefit
1|Hellforged template +1 dmg to flanked opponents(DMG2 278)|
2|Razor Sharp quality +1 dmg all attacks (Dragon 358 pg. 31)|
3|Laminated Steel +1 dmg all attacks, +1 crit multiplier (Mercenaries 93)|
4|Serrated +1 crit threat range (Mercenaries 94|
5|+1 enhancement (Least Ritual, see below)|
6|Axiomatic (DMG 223)|
7|Unholy (DMG 226)|
8|+2 enhancement|
9|Flaming (DMG 224)|
10|Summon Baatezu (As Barbed devil, MM1 51)|
11|(Lesser Ritual, see below)|
12|+3 enhancement|
13|Axiomatic Burst (see below)|
14|+4 enhancement|
15|Unholy Burst (see below)|
16|Greater Ritual (see below)|
17|+5 enhancement|
18|Enhanced Multiplier (see below)|
19|Enhanced Threat (see below)|
20|Summon Baatezu (As Pit Fiend, MM1 58)|
[/table]

Least Ritual: Do Evil - To complete the first ritual, my character must murder at least 2 innocent people in cold-bold. At the end of the ritual, he automatically gains taint equal to the halfway point of both mild corruption and mild depravity.
Lesser Ritual: Be Evil - To complete the second ritual my character must undergo the Ritual of Alignment (Savage Species 148) and gain the Evil subtype. At the end of the ritual, he automatically gains points of taint equal to the amount from mid-point mild to mid-point moderate corruption and depravity.
Greater Ritual: Submit to Evil - To complete the final ritual, my character must submit to and swear fealty to Dispater, either to him directly, or to one of his loyal and trusted servants. At the end of the ritual, he automatically gains points of taint equal to the amount from mid-point moderate to mid-point severe corruption and depravity.

Quick explanation: Character has 16 Con. Mild taint is 1-7, moderate is 8-23 (Heroes of Horror 63) Halfway for mild is 4, halfway for moderate is 15, so after completing the Lesser ritual he will gain 11 points of taint in both corruption and depravity.

Axiomatic Burst: An axiomatic burst weapon functions as an axiomatic weapon that also explodes with lawful energy upon striking a successful critical hit against all of chaotic alignment. In addition to the extra damage from the axiomatic ability, an axiomatic burst weapon deals an extra 1d10 points of damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add an extra 2d10 points of damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add an extra 3d10 points of damage. It bestows one negative level on any chaotic creature attempting to wield it. The negative level remains as long as the weapon is in hand and disappears when the weapon is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded.Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the lawful power upon their ammunition.

Unholy Burst: An unholy burst weapon functions as an unholy weapon that also explodes with unholy energy upon striking a successful critical hit against all of good alignment. In addition to the extra damage from the unholy ability, an unholy burst weapon deals an extra 1d10 points of damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add an extra 2d10 points of damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add an extra 3d10 points of damage. It bestows one negative level on any good creature attempting to wield it. The negative level remains as long as the weapon is in hand and disappears when the weapon is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the fire energy upon their ammunition.

Enhanced Multiplier: This weapons critical multiplier is increased by 1. This enhancement stacks with all other critical multiplier increases and is applied last.

Increased Threat: This weapons critical threat range is increased by 1. This enhancement stacks with all other critical threat range increases and is applied last.

There are no drawbacks listed because the drawbacks come through the rituals. Gaining the taint may end up killing the player, I think that is drawback enough.

So having never made a legacy weapon before, I'm not sure how this actually is. Too good? Too awful? Any ideas on what can be changed? Is it too weapon focused, not enough other abilities? Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Pyromancer999
2013-12-20, 12:57 PM
Critiques:

-What is the hellforged template? I've never heard of it.

-Weapons of Legacy start gaining abilities at 6th level, not first.

-Rituals themselves bestow no abilities other than the ability to use the item's abilities above a certain level.

-As per the official supplement, there are penalties(to HP, skills, attack,etc.) that come with a weapon of legacy. I do not see this. Is your DM one of those to do away with that?

-The abilities are not balanced. Many of the official weapons do not gain abilities every level, as per the rules for building a Weapon of Legacy.

-This weapon has no omen, and no listing for what kind of weapon it is without legacy abilities unlocked.

-Rituals are meant to have high gp cost and/or be incredible feats of glory to commemorate the weapon's legacy.

-The weapon doesn't give off the fluff of a Weapon of Legacy. It seems more of an excuse to have an extremely powerful weapon. There is a difference between a legendary weapon and a merely powerful one.

Overall, given how this weapon has been constructed, I am doubting that you have ever seen or had access to the Weapons of Legacy supplement or given more than a cursory glance at a Weapon of Legacy. There are a few official ones online in the Weapons of Legacy excerpt. I would recommend scrapping this, then taking a look at one of those, and then basing your weapon off of one of those.