PDA

View Full Version : Minisize me! - Need some help here

Karu
2007-01-18, 11:24 AM
Hi hi!

The long-running quest of my campaign is about to come to an halt for a while, and it is time to pitch my characters in a couple of subquests. After watching (I confess) Arthur and the Minimoys, I have been contemplating the idea of making the characters reach diminutive size for a short while.

Yet, I do not know how to rule it out. Should I just enlarge and toughen every creature and pretend the characters are smaller, or actually make them teeny weeny sized, with the necessary downgrades?

If I do, by how much should I increase the CR of now nigh-unbeatable CR1 encounters?

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-18, 12:44 PM
We're talking Diminuitive, right? I would just stat up new monsters at the appropriate scale, or use existing monsters (all of the giant vermin come to mind) which are appropriate.

magic8BALL
2007-01-19, 12:28 AM
I'd just have the PC's become 2 size catagries smaller. (Med. ->Tiny, Small -> Dim.)

-8 Strength (minimum 1), +4 Dex.

Have them face opponentas around CR(level)-2 for an average fight, although, if I were the size of a frog, I'd avoid fights. Remember, the PC's will be more vaunrable in melee, but even more potent at range.

This may be easier (on your part) than making every other thing 2 or three catagories larger...

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-19, 02:30 AM
Just use their stats and give descriptions so they know their height.

Say give an Ant roughly the stats of a wolf.
A gargantuan monstrous spider would have the same stats as a small spider at thier size.

Rather then make new stats; it'd probably be easier to give common creatures the stats of really strong ones. It'll also keep party mechanics the same because they'll be just as effective as when they were big; it's just all been scaled down to a new size.

NullAshton
2007-01-19, 08:22 AM
I second the scaling everything up to huge. Why? Well, if you're treating them all as dimunitive with the strength and dexterity decreases... you're seriously nerfing the fighter, while increasing the wizards power. Spells don't care about your size, the damage you do does to an extent.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-19, 02:22 PM
Say give an Ant roughly the stats of a wolf.

What about giant ants?

Oh, do keep in mind weight scaling if you're going to keep the PCs the same size and scale everything else up. Muscles exert force based on their cross-sectional area, while the weight of objects is based on their volume, meaning that at small scales the PCs will be able to lift several times their own body weight. The D&D rules already cover this well by scaling carrying by 3/4 per step, while scaling item weight by 1/2 per step (looking over the math given in the PHB, at Fine size your carrying capacity is quadrupled).

Stormthorn
2007-01-21, 11:03 AM
I would throw all that technical junk out the window, but thats just me. I would be like, ok, this imp has the stats of a pit fiend. That dude over their has the stats of a flesh colossus, ext.