2007-01-18, 03:10 PM
Hah! Boop!

Discuss.

plommon
2007-01-18, 03:13 PM
That was booping, boop!

Tormsskull
2007-01-18, 03:13 PM
When I first saw it I thought it said "Holy Boob", but maybe that was just what was on my mind :P Good comic, looking forward to the next one.

TheAnimal
2007-01-18, 03:15 PM
Oh, boop... I can't discuss from my laughing! :smallbiggrin:
"Crazy giant potato man", LOL!

WampaX
2007-01-18, 03:16 PM
Boop.
You are fined one credit for violating the Verbal Morality Standard.

White Blade
2007-01-18, 03:18 PM
Nice. Wanda did right by this.

TinSoldier
2007-01-18, 03:19 PM
"Boop me in the boop."

Hahahaha! That was booping funny!

MightyMuenster
2007-01-18, 03:19 PM
I've got to say... Erfworld has been growing on me. Quite appreciated on this side of the computer.

rawling
2007-01-18, 03:20 PM
Heh yeah, this is starting to grow on me as well.

drewnchick
2007-01-18, 03:21 PM
Ok...Erfworld is officially funny now!! "Holy boop!" I was rolling for several minutes. I've now gone back to re-read the whole thing from the beginning, and, just as the authors promised, it's a developing story...and...and...I GET IT now! What a crazy, funny, weird sort of comic! I like it!!

Khantalas
2007-01-18, 03:21 PM
That was booping great! Boop! I am booping addicted to this boop webcomic.

Poor Wanda. She really needs aspirin.

Castaras
2007-01-18, 03:22 PM
"Do you have a headache spell"
"Yes!" "Or...to cure one? No. If I had that, I would never stop casting it."

That cracked me up :smallsmile:

TheAnimal
2007-01-18, 03:23 PM
Poor Wanda. She really needs aspirin.
Too bad Parson didn't have any on him when he got PLOTed. :smalltongue:

TinSoldier
2007-01-18, 03:23 PM
Mustn't forget, "I can't even see his points!"

Hart av Srednak
2007-01-18, 03:25 PM
In my (very humble) opinion: Best so far.

(and I've liked Erf from beginnig)

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-18, 03:26 PM
Now we just have to get the Forum mods to turn all profanity to "Boop" instead of "****"

storybookknight
2007-01-18, 03:26 PM
Aaaand the plot comes together. Likely, there will be love triangles with our hero, Wanda Firebaugh and Jillian... or pathetic geek lust triangles, more likely.

I foresee comparisons with Bogroll...

Wallyz
2007-01-18, 03:27 PM
Crazy potato man with no visible points.

OMGWTB?

Sky_Schemer
2007-01-18, 03:27 PM
"If I had that, I would never stop casting it."

Priceless.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-18, 03:31 PM
Boop.
You are fined one credit for violating the Verbal Morality Standard.

Statute ... Verbal Morality Statute. Still, nice :')

I'd love for Erfworld to take an edgier approach to the humor, but that's really a personal preference. Especially considering younger audiences may read the comic. Though there is an interesting use of sex vs. language (i.e. Wanda's garb in 17 vs. the use of "Boop" in 18). Heh, as far as I'm concerned they can say boop as long as wanda keeps casting the findamancer spell at least once every 4 pages.

Speaking of Wanda, I have a question about the use of magic in Erfworld.

Wanda is a croakamancer, but she can cast a spell designed for use by a findamancer. So I take that to mean that all magic is accessible to all spellcasters? If so, what allows a findamancer to cast the spell better then Wanda could? Or is it more that Findamancers practice the spell regularily?

EDITED: boop ... I can see it now and it never ends ....

mport2004
2007-01-18, 03:33 PM
I love this comic.

squeakyreaper
2007-01-18, 03:35 PM
He made the campaign, I think, and will now all the plot twists and stuff. Its like, the ultimate spoiler!

EDIT: Atleast I think.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-18, 03:39 PM
That was a booping great comic. Stanley is booping hilarious.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-18, 03:40 PM

Wanda is a croakamancer, but she can cast a spell designed for use by a findamancer. So I take that to mean that all magic is accessible to all spellcasters? If so, what allows a findamancer to cast the spell better then Wanda could? Or is it more that Findamancers practice the spell regularily?

It has been noted that Wanda is good with all kinds of magic. It could be a skill-based system. Then again, Wanda is a unique character, and can have all sorts of special abilities that your rank-and-file mages could not.

Hmm... Parson's smart enough to know what's going on (these are probably his iconic characters). What does "points", mean? Does Parson not have hit points? Could be referring to points like how most systems assign values to units to limit the size of armies.

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-18, 03:43 PM
Heh. Boop me in the boop. Nice.

Rambi
2007-01-18, 03:43 PM
Boop. Thats never going to get old, ever. I still can't figure out what he ment when he said he had "no visible points"

Neofite
2007-01-18, 03:44 PM
Erfworld is booping great!!!

Druid
2007-01-18, 03:45 PM
"If I had that i'd never stop casting it"

Reminds me of my life.

Boop.

Neofite
2007-01-18, 03:46 PM
Boop. Thats never going to get old, ever. I still can't figure out what he ment when he said he had "no visible points"

being that it is a strat game, units have a certain "point cost" to have them in your "army"

thats the way i took it. :smallbiggrin:

Shisumo
2007-01-18, 03:47 PM

It means he can't read his stats. In most computer strategy games, holding your mouse over a unit allows you to read its current status, hit points/damage/whatever, and other relevant statistics.

Our Hero, however, not being a unit in the game, lacks said statistics. Which implies all sorts of interesting possibilities.

Mr Wizard
2007-01-18, 03:51 PM
The headache is probably caused by his Erfification.

Holy Boop.

Now all we need is a character named Betty.

:D

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 04:00 PM
I hope Parson and Wanda get it on, but that's just a self-projection of me onto Parson, and my love of Wanda.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-18, 04:00 PM
Very cool.

Mr_Saturn
2007-01-18, 04:01 PM
So everytime he "boops" he has a headache?

onasuma
2007-01-18, 04:01 PM
Best so far, but how long do we rekon until "boop" becomes registered as a curse word and is banned from the forums?

Mr_Teatime
2007-01-18, 04:02 PM
More likely the headache is from being physically torn out of his universe and into a cutsey strategy game he was making.

brightblade
2007-01-18, 04:03 PM
This one is good! boop!

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-18, 04:04 PM
I really like how un-seemlessly Parson transitioned. I also like that Erfworld is censored. All in all, good job guys, you did a booping fantastic job.

Sisqui
2007-01-18, 04:18 PM
"Points" is just one of the many references I don't get in this comic. Foreshadowing is one thing but constant allusions to things the readers have no way of knowing gets annoying after 18 strips or so.

fehler
2007-01-18, 04:18 PM
Interesting boop. I guess it means Parson will be forced to use Erfworld language structures, like dwagons, orlys, and croaking.

Hario
2007-01-18, 04:23 PM
Interesting boop. I guess it means Parson will be forced to use Erfworld language structures, like dwagons, orlys, and croaking.
well he did say 'Sorceress' insead of something like 'Sowcewess' which it seems like there are little to no 'r's in erfworld minus the title. He may be immune to calling them that, it maybe just what they call them.

teratorn
2007-01-18, 04:24 PM
After the light show in the previous strip, it's weird to see Wanda less "developed" again, nonetheless Panel 2 rocks. The cutesy talk, turning "heavy" profanity into boop, toy-monsters, everything fits so well in this world. Wanda is allowed to say boop in #0006, is that a croakamancer thingie?

Is it my impression or Parson is really a giant in this world? He looks much bigger than Stanley or Wanda (his head looks as big as the others).

I wish I hadn't to wait until Tuesday to see what's coming next. Double boop.

TheAnimal
2007-01-18, 04:24 PM
"Points" is just one of the many references I don't get in this comic. Foreshadowing is one thing but constant allusions to things the readers have no way of knowing gets annoying after 18 strips or so.

Wasn't this already explained?

It means he can't read his stats. In most computer strategy games, holding your mouse over a unit allows you to read its current status, hit points/damage/whatever, and other relevant statistics.
Our Hero, however, not being a unit in the game, lacks said statistics. Which implies all sorts of interesting possibilities.

chionophile
2007-01-18, 04:25 PM
Only creatures have modified spellings (spidews, gwiffons, dwagons, gobwins, twolls) and the "points" reference has been explained already. It's not that difficult to understand if you've ever played a turn-based strategy computer game.

Edit: Ooh, I just realized this after I made this post, but orlies\orly is misspelled as well, just backwards from the other creatures. Owl -> Owly -> Orly. Likely unintentional, but still interesting.

DomaDoma
2007-01-18, 04:26 PM
Just wait until he finds out he can't say "death"...

Alynn
2007-01-18, 04:26 PM
Was I the only one amused by:

Okay! I get it.
I get jokes.

For some reason he says "I get jokes" so matter-of-factly that it's just funny to me. Kinda like a person would say if they really had no sense of humor.

Also, at first I read boop, then as the comic went on, it translated in my mind to that beeping noise censors use on US television, which make it even better for me.

Also, looking at panel 10, the first real good look at any sort of perspective between parson and the Erfworlders, he does seem to be at least twice their size height wise (and definably wider). So if Wanda and Stanley are indeed the normal size for humanoid Erflings, Parson is indeed a giant among men.

Azrael
2007-01-18, 04:28 PM
Best so far, but how long do we rekon until "boop" becomes registered as a curse word and is banned from the forums?

It won't -- everyone who was around on the last version of yabb knows exactly what spoon and wombat mean. And some of us still use them to self-censor rather than face a string of asterisks.

charles
2007-01-18, 04:28 PM
Even though he doesn't seem to be changed in his outward appearance or have "points", Erfworld is affecting him. The "Boops" are an indication of that. I wonder if it will affect him in other ways as time goes on.

PS: "points" are either "hit points" or the cost to field the unit (usually part of a table-top army game).

teratorn
2007-01-18, 04:41 PM
Stanley also uses crap, it's just poor Parson that can not use profanity? (I'm assuming that was the thing following Holy).

chionophile
2007-01-18, 04:42 PM
Was probably "sh*t" not "crap".

MrNexx
2007-01-18, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I foresee "boop" getting a heavy workout here. This was great.

teratorn
2007-01-18, 04:48 PM
Was probably "sh*t" not "crap".

Yes, that would explain it. Poor Parson, I hope the headaches are from the PLOT and he doesn't get one each time he says a boopism.

Gamebird
2007-01-18, 04:50 PM
Hey, I got most of the jokes in this one. I think.

I feel like Stanley, having to say: "I get jokes."

Xiander
2007-01-18, 04:56 PM
To me it simply seems that the c-word is not hard enough to get booped out, unlike the f-word the a-word and the s-word which seems to be what Parson uses.

Sir_Faust
2007-01-18, 04:57 PM
Lol, boop. I couldn't tell at first.
Stanley, great as ever. XD Potato man:smallbiggrin:
Wanda is great with her sarcastic humor. :smalltongue:

Darth Paradox
2007-01-18, 05:01 PM
That was so fantastic I had to update my sig.

I also agree re: Stanley's deadpan assurance that he gets jokes. He really is doing his very best to handle the situation with aplomb, but... well, he ended up with a giant potato man, and he still believes that all warlords are handsome, to say nothing of functional in the world.

Note that Parson's still speaking in a different font than the Erfworlders. He and Wanda can obviously understand each other, having carried on a brief conversation, so I suppose Stanley's statement that he doesn't speak Language was just based on the plethora of "boop"s in his speech.

(Thinking about Lord Stanley has also caused me to wonder when we're going to see a hockey reference. :D)

5tephen
2007-01-18, 05:09 PM
OMGWTB?

You, sir, are a genius.

As are the Jamie and Rob. Very nice. I was wanting a couple of double updates or something, but as usual- an Excellent writer working with an Amazing storyteller will get enough plot out to satisfy the audience, within the constricts of their medium.

Well done guys.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 05:09 PM
Edit: Ooh, I just realized this after I made this post, but orlies\orly is misspelled as well, just backwards from the other creatures. Owl -> Owly -> Orly. Likely unintentional, but still interesting.

Nono, that's clearly from an internet meme.

SteveMB
2007-01-18, 05:10 PM
Is it my impression or Parson is really a giant in this world? He looks much bigger than Stanley or Wanda (his head looks as big as the others).
We haven't really gotten a clear comparison -- every frame where Parson appears with Stanley or Wanda is biased either by Parson being clearly closer to the reader's POV (panels 6 & 12) or by view angle (panel 10 -- POV is overhead; Parson is bending down while Wanda and Stanley are standing up).

Tiberius Claudius
2007-01-18, 05:11 PM
WQhew, I was wondering where this was all going.

innovan
2007-01-18, 05:12 PM
Parsons speaks in a different font. I'd like to say Arial, but that cool crossing "W" isn't basic Arial. It is the same font everyone uses in "our" world back in 14-16. Any ideas?

The Erfworld font is more blockish. No idea at all what font it is either.

Thank you author for limiting the whole "main character struggles, then accepts he's in a different world" to just a Wizard of Oz reference. Nice and brief, just the way we like it!

Looks like Wanda is fated to be our Hermione Granger character who will give all the background exposition when necessary. Well, at least she's as easy on the eyes as Beatrice was in Dante's Paridiso.

fangthane
2007-01-18, 05:12 PM
I'm still unimpressed with the comic, though I'll admit to being at least slightly interested in its progression at this point. It's obviously never going to approach the genius of Donaldson or even Terry Brooks or Dave Duncan*, but at this point its main competition, in terms of similar plotlines, seems to be the D&D cartoon series from the '80s. In that sense, it has a shot, and I was willing to check my brain at the door for that monstrosity so I suppose I can't really lambaste your webcomic in light of the atrocities I've already seen.

Still, while the dialog is fine some expository writing would go a long way.

* First/Second/Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Magic Kingdom: For Sale Sold and The Reluctant Swordsman, respectively

Merlin the Tuna
2007-01-18, 05:17 PM
Thank you author for limiting the whole "main character struggles, then accepts he's in a different world" to just a Wizard of Oz reference. Nice and brief, just the way we like it!Just as long as we avoid long sequences of "If I die here, I die in the real world?! *KA-ANGST!*" I'll be happy.

Great work so far guys. I'm loving every minute of it.

A Gray Phantom
2007-01-18, 05:22 PM
OMGWTB?
My sentiments exactly! I was following "Erfworld" out of sheer curiousity, but now with the "Tron" references and this hillarious page (which got a chuckle from me), I'm totally hooked :smallcool:. Thank you "Erfworld."

chionophile
2007-01-18, 05:25 PM

Oh, I know that. That's why I said it was likely that it was unintentional. Still funny though, how that worked out.

Xefas
2007-01-18, 05:26 PM
I don't often actually laugh out loud at webcomics and such. Usually its just an inward chuckle or some such...yet, for some reason "You got me a crazy giant potato man!" combined with the look on Stanley's face got me howling in laughter there for a few minutes.

I'd just like to say that I love Erfworld and hope it updates more often in the future.

yuccadude
2007-01-18, 05:29 PM
I think that he doesn't have any "points" because he is such a hefty individual that he is all flesh, and no (apparent) bones... just my opinion.

Captain Marvel
2007-01-18, 05:29 PM
...but the real question:

Will Parson actually be able to snack on the gwiffons and eat the marbits for breakfast?

That would be a sight for his enemies...

chionophile
2007-01-18, 05:32 PM
Terry Brooks

Terry Brooks? Seriously? I read Brooks when I was in middle school, and in retrospect, he was very unimpressive. Not the greatest fantasy I've ever read. Erfworld is much more interesting and amusing.

Jalathas
2007-01-18, 05:46 PM
*sigh* I loved the comic, but I'm quite depressed by the overuse of the term "boop" in this thread. I mean really, it's unnecessary and rather annoying. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if all you have to put here is another pointless, "boop"-censored post, shut the boop up.

Anyways, I love the look on Parson's face in panel five. It's hilarious.

armatil
2007-01-18, 05:47 PM
erfworld is now officially awesome. at least for me. i was't expecting this to ever happen, but the last couple of instalments have consistently left me wanting more. not as badly as OotS does, but it's there, and it's growing on me.

funny thing is, that the jokes are not entirely my taste - so far i never actually laughed out loud to the comic, a smile or chuckle is all it got out of me. it's the other elements that do it for me, the bigger picture, the plot and everything. and i'm not even all that interested in wargames!

so cheers. you guys are doing an excellent job with this.

Green Bean
2007-01-18, 06:02 PM
Well boop me in the boop that was hilarious!

baltor85
2007-01-18, 06:05 PM
Heh. A crazy giant potato man with no visable points leads to some interesting possibilities.

Oh. And Torm, I thought the same thing. Maybe we thought that because of panel 2 of this strip.

Also, Jal, I wholeheartedly agree about your first statement. Just like the people who use the OOTS avatars instead of taking the time to actually just spell the person's name.

Jorkens
2007-01-18, 06:09 PM
*slightly confused* Is the "headache spell" a headache spell in the sense of Monkey?

Jorkens
2007-01-18, 06:16 PM
Also, Jal, I wholeheartedly agree about your first statement. Just like the people who use the OOTS avatars instead of taking the time to actually just spell the person's name.
Yeah. Or thog not like erfworld. thog think erfworld talky men talk funny. erfworld suck.

skreweded
2007-01-18, 06:32 PM
Well, I didn't find the "ZOMBG HE IS IN THE GAEM HE CRAETED!!! ZOMG!!" (I had to do the b..) Original, but I have been looking for a good story with that in it, and here it seems to be.

Geech000
2007-01-18, 06:39 PM
...but the real question:

Will Parson actually be able to snack on the gwiffons and eat the marbits for breakfast?

That would be a sight for his enemies...

Parson actually already did snack on gwiffons (marshmallow peeps) and I assume he eats marbits (cereal). I doubt he will actually eat any Erfworld gwiffons or marbits.

I think this is shaping up to be a great comic.

EDIT: I wonder do people from Erfworld bleed? Going with the whole cutesy world idea, I would guess no. That seriously reduce the gross factor of munching on marbits.

Wallyz
2007-01-18, 06:51 PM
Was I the only one amused by:

Okay! I get it.
I get jokes.

For some reason he says "I get jokes" so matter-of-factly that it's just funny to me. Kinda like a person would say if they really had no sense of humor.

This is a Homer Simpson Quote.

headwarpage
2007-01-18, 06:51 PM
Heh. Boop. But not wombat and spoon?

motorfirebox
2007-01-18, 07:03 PM
hahahaha, this booping comic is booping awesome.

(and if you don't like booping, boop off!)

Idris
2007-01-18, 07:10 PM
Another great comic :smallbiggrin:

I can't help feeling sorry for poor Parson though - thrown into this situation and unable to express himself with the appropriate profanity

being an enthusiastic swearer myself, I really feel his pain

Idris

Haruki-kun
2007-01-18, 07:16 PM
Oh, I'm beginning to get it, lol

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-18, 07:22 PM
Pointless censorship? Hey, it's like being on this message board! No complaint intended. Obviously, I don't mind if I've been here as long as I have.

Good stuff. And it's good to see Parson limiting his acclimation time. I mean, if you're that big a nerd, you're half-expecting to wake up in a fantasy world one morning anyway.

And if you wake yourself up with Red Bull and eat three month old peeps, you should probably be expecting a stroke, too.

MetalKelt
2007-01-18, 07:27 PM
I must say, at first I had mixed opinions about Erfworld, but it has really grown on me and I now look forward to new Erfworld strips just as much as I do the OOTS ones. They contrast each other very nicely with the style of artwork, type of humor,etc... They alternating comic days work out very well IMHO.

Bilbo27
2007-01-18, 07:46 PM
Holy Boop, no points!!! Booping boop, whats he gonna do?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 07:54 PM
Oh, I know that. That's why I said it was likely that it was unintentional. Still funny though, how that worked out.

That is a good point, when you mention it.

Sebastian Bux
2007-01-18, 08:31 PM
Anyone know what the "object" is in panel 6 between Wanda and Stanley and above Parson? It looks like it has little red thingys on it. Anyone?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 08:40 PM

Wait, how is that? In my experience, it takes longer because you have to type the semicolons too...

RusVal
2007-01-18, 08:49 PM
You know, when I first read through this episode, I thought Lord Stanley said, "I can't even see his pants!"

Which, oddly, also makes sense.

PlugNPlay
2007-01-18, 08:57 PM
What I don't get is, if none of the Erfworlders have pupils, how do they regulate light intake to their retinas? But I imagine Parson is going to really freak out a lot of people just by looking at them with those crazy black dots in his eyes!!

I'm also going to guess that if Parson didn't have morale issues before becoming Stanley's bound warlord, he will pretty soon.

More, please! More!

Erk
2007-01-18, 08:58 PM
Well, I didn't find the "ZOMBG HE IS IN THE GAEM HE CRAETED!!! ZOMG!!" (I had to do the b..) Original, but I have been looking for a good story with that in it, and here it seems to be.

I don't think he is. He would have recognised the names, and known where he was. He had to ask if Wanda was a sorceress and he certainly did not know the term "~mancer". It remains to be seen, but I think he is in a world remarkably similar to a turn-based strategy game and earth pop-culture, not inside the game he made.

Anyway. Best line ever:
"Do you have a headache spell?"
"Yes! Or... To cure one? No. If I had that, I would never stop casting it."

I am still laughing about that two hours later.

Also, I love the first row (first 4 panels). Those pretty much made the whole comic for me. It looks to me as though Parson did not get "erfified"... he still looks like he did in comic 16, with much more detail than the erflings. The lighting makes him look slightly more cartoony. Also I love how tired poor Wanda looks.

Plus, a bit off topic
It's obviously never going to approach the genius of Donaldson...Are you serious? Donaldson is generally a good author but thomas covenant was so... whiny, and cliche. Perhaps it got better after the first book; I got sick of that entire book being based entirely around what was summed up beautifully in one sentence in Erfworld: I'm... doing the whole "Wizard of Oz" thing. Also, I have to admit I was rather nonplussed that the author basically shrugged off the protagonist being a rapist, but whatever.

Anyway, kudos to the Erfworld staff so far. It just keeps getting better, and living up to the potential I figured it had. Woot!

Alynn
2007-01-18, 09:17 PM
Actually Covanant went through guilt for quite awhile about that whole thing. I've read the first six, never knew they made a final one I figured..

After he sacrificed himself in the last book of the second chronicles that was the end of the series

So just so I'm clear with this, there is another trilogy (or at least some books) after that moment?

Back to Erf,

Also, hrm, didn't recognize it as a Simpsons quote, although I haven't really watched that show in a long long time.

I still believe that Parson does look much bigger than the erfworlders, while the perspective may be misleading, in panel 10, even on his knees, he easily comes to the chest (or forehead in stanley's case). So I believe that in Erf, parson isn't giant sized, but more like Large (using the D&D scale) to wanda and Stanley's medium.

Also, I wonder if the lack of points means he is unkillable. Many games I've seen epic like characters and creatures that are unstatted, unkillable by the largest of armies, just there to cause havok on the battle field.

jami
2007-01-18, 09:48 PM
What I don't get is, if none of the Erfworlders have pupils, how do they regulate light intake to their retinas? But I imagine Parson is going to really freak out a lot of people just by looking at them with those crazy black dots in his eyes!!

I'm also going to guess that if Parson didn't have morale issues before becoming Stanley's bound warlord, he will pretty soon.

More, please! More!

LOL!

Thanks guys. You mother boopers are mother booping awesome!

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-18, 10:06 PM

What's the difference?

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a reference to unit point costs, like what D&D Miniatures has. Or maybe it means he doesn't have any experience points... Might be interesting to see him level up as the comic progresses.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-18, 10:09 PM
Anyone who read oots without playing D&D will have just as hard time with this.

EmeraldRose
2007-01-18, 10:11 PM
Heh...I thought the boops were great! Then I read Wanda's line, and that was even better!!! It's my new favorite Erfworld line EVER!!!!

I would never stop casting it!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

ImperiousLeader
2007-01-18, 10:35 PM
Boop that was a great comic. I'm really starting to get into this comic.

LurkerBeneath
2007-01-18, 10:39 PM
Boop-boop-a-doop! (http://www.bettyboop.com/forums/)
-LB

Kanthalion
2007-01-18, 10:44 PM
Anyone know what the "object" is in panel 6 between Wanda and Stanley and above Parson? It looks like it has little red thingys on it. Anyone?

I believe it is a door with two torches above it. what are you, booping blind? :smallbiggrin:

I love Wanda's facial expressions: dubious and tired in panel 2, doubtful of parsons ability to do what she is describing in panel 8, irritated at Stanly in panel 11, and oddly vulnerable in panel 14.

Where do I get one of those Erfworld idiot pins?

Alchemistmerlin
2007-01-18, 10:49 PM
Oh man, I have officially laughed out loud for the first time to Erfworld.

Bravo.

"Some sort of crazy giant potato man!"

"Boop me in the Boop"

Furin
2007-01-18, 10:49 PM
What puzzles me is that Wanda knows the term "sorceress". Arenīt they all ...mancers? Or wouldnīt it be Soucewee (or similar?)

Edit: And did anyone notice how the room changed after the summoning spell was completed?

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-18, 11:00 PM
They speak English, and a Mancer did it.

Stormthorn
2007-01-18, 11:04 PM
Ok, first of all I would like to say that it would be nice if people saved the insulting every one elses favorite authors for some other thread. Its f-ing annoying.

Second, it seemed to me like Parson's head came about level to Wanda's chest when he was on his hands and feet so he might actualy be very large in Erfworld.

Third

Edit: And did anyone notice how the room changed after the summoning spell was completed?
I dont think the room changed, it just looks different because the spell has died out.

Maltrich
2007-01-18, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I'm sad that the room changed... bye-bye inside of Encom's computer...

Just because her class is Croakamancer doesn't mean she doesn't know what a sorceress is. That would be somewhat like going through an OD&D campaign calling all Magic Users "Magic User," or insisting that your 3e Rogue not be called a thief.

I've loved this comic since the first panel, and it just keeps getting better.

Furin
2007-01-18, 11:07 PM
Hmm I could have sworn they speak Erftongue, which is of course very similar to English :smalltongue: .

Erk
2007-01-18, 11:17 PM
What puzzles me is that Wanda knows the term "sorceress". Arenīt they all ...mancers? Or wouldnīt it be Soucewee (or similar?)

There are lots of words in Erfworld that use "r"s and "l"s. For example, "orly", "stanley", "plaid", "dirtomancer", "croakamancer"... if croakamancer has an "r" in it, why wouldn't sorceress?

Also, Parson is not speaking Language. I am curious if Stanley can even understand him; perhaps only Wanda can through some kind of magic, in which case she heard a different word... or perhaps "sorceress" is just a generic term for "female mancer" in Erfworld as well.

Finally, how could we have missed the room change? Going from tron to medieval is a little drastic. It was kinda the centerpoint in the last strip...

TinSoldier
2007-01-18, 11:18 PM
The Tron lighting was just a magical special effect while the spell was being cast. It was dramatic, nothing else.

The_Old_Fox
2007-01-19, 12:05 AM
I must say that Parson takes being transported to another world rather well.

I mean even thought this is exactly what he wanted, he still doesn't seem as concerned as he could be.

Of course, he is correct that having a stroke or coma is far more likely for a man of his "stature" :smallwink:

PlugNPlay
2007-01-19, 12:15 AM
I believe it is a door with two torches above it.

This is probably right, but it isn't obvious. At first I thought it was some sort of ceremonial artifact. But it does resemble the design of the door Wanda passed through into the tower of Efdup in page 14 panel 9 - there's an ornament and 2 little porthole thingys over that door.

Scientivore
2007-01-19, 12:20 AM

She was carrying around a physical "forged" spell -- I'll call it an "ingot" -- so I'm thinking in pseudo-D&D terms where it was like casting directly from a spell scroll. Also, maybe a Findamancer (or Predictamancer) would've had a bonus for the effects? Could be that Wanda's just that much of a bad-boop that she didn't need bonuses, even for such an advanced spell ingot.

Morchaint
2007-01-19, 12:26 AM
well. thats funny. to date the funniest one there is. I have been reading them, but they ( except this one ) havent been funny to me. ( except the one about crap golems. thats my new motto, cause it fits like a glove.

comment: I didnt like the thomas covenent books either. tried to be too many things at one time. wizard of oz ish, tolkien, etc. thought it was kind of stupid.

Erk
2007-01-19, 12:34 AM
She was carrying around a physical "forged" spell -- I'll call it an "ingot" -- so I'm thinking in pseudo-D&D terms where it was like casting directly from a spell scroll. Also, maybe a Findamancer (or Predictamancer) would've had a bonus for the effects? Could be that Wanda's just that much of a bad-boop that she didn't need bonuses, even for such an advanced spell ingot.
Or it could be that the spell would have produced a much more "standard" effect if a proper findamancer had cast it... they probably would have gotten a warlord exactly like Stanley asked for, not just barely fitting his criteria and missing many things considered bsaic parts of this world.

I think Wanda is supposed to be a real badboop though. She already told our pal Sizemore that she was pretty good at all kinds of magic, even though she was only interested in Croakamancy.

(oh, and... eh? How does that not look like a door/entrance thingy?)

Lucid_Archon
2007-01-19, 12:41 AM
This is probably right, but it isn't obvious. At first I thought it was some sort of ceremonial artifact. But it does resemble the design of the door Wanda passed through into the tower of Efdup in page 14 panel 9 - there's an ornament and 2 little porthole thingys over that door.

The door is made to look like a leering face. Stanley has a thing for faces. His chairs and desk are faces too.

Bounty
2007-01-19, 12:56 AM

It's likely both. Owl became Orl, which someone noted was like orly (Oh, really?) So they altered the name for the joke. Note that all the words said by the Orly's as they get muched by the dwagons are like that...

Page 12
ORLY?
OMGWTFBBQ! (Oh my god, what the Boop, Barbeque!)
PWNED! (Leet slang for beaten severly)

Page 10
LOL (Laugh out Load)
YARLY! (Ya, really!)

Bounty
2007-01-19, 01:31 AM
Also, Parson is not speaking Language. I am curious if Stanley can even understand him; perhaps only Wanda can through some kind of magic, in which case she heard a different word... or perhaps "sorceress" is just a generic term for "female mancer" in Erfworld as well.

Let's count the words used by Parson before Stanley's declaration; there are 29 of them. Now 13 of those, or about half, are 'ow' and 'boop'. and the remainder are mostly commenting on how he doesn't know what boop means, meaning he can't understand 1/10 of his own vocabulary. Orlys are more understandable.

chionophile
2007-01-19, 01:34 AM
Ok, first of all I would like to say that it would be nice if people saved the insulting every one elses favorite authors for some other thread. Its f-ing annoying.

He mentioned those authors in comparison to Erfworld and how he thought those authors were better. Last time I checked, this is an Erfworld forum and thread and we are free to disagree. It's fair game, if you ask me.

Or wouldnīt it be Soucewee (or similar?)I already mentioned this, but I may as well say it again. Only creatures get modified spellings. So far anyway. With my luck, Rob will directly contradict this in the next strip.

Edit: Does anyone else find it amusing that Wanda has a headache spell?

Illiander
2007-01-19, 04:59 AM
<goes into song-and-dance routine>

(all)---------Father Bloo-oo-oo-oo-oo-py, Father Bloo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-py,
(Gary)------Nice as pie,
(Graham)-And cute as snoopy,
(Gary)-----Everybody, wants to be his groupy,
(all)---------Far-ather Bloopy, Father Bloopy.
(Graham)-What's he do?
(Sheriff)---He spends all day,
(Sheriff)---in Bignose Land,
(Sheriff)---with a hundred, bignose boye,
(Sheriff)---hammering away, with their noses all day
(Sheriff)---to make all the bignose toys.
(Sheriff)---Then he'll come right down,
(Sheriff)---your chimney stack,
(Sheriff)---or if you haven't got one,
(Sheriff)---he'll crawl out of,
(Sheriff)---you're radiator valve,
(Sheriff)---unless it's a very hot one.
(all)---------Father Bloo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-py, Father Bloo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-py.
(Sheriff)---.........
(Sheriff)---If you've been good,
(Sheriff)---he will shower you in toys.
(Gary)-----But if you've been bad he will kill you!
(all)---------Father Bloo-oo-oo-oo-oo-py, Father Bloo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-py,
(Gary)-----Nice as pie,
(Graham)-And cute as snoopy,
(Gary)-----Everybody, wants to be his groupy,
(all)---------Far-ather Bloopy, Father Bloopyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

<comes out of song-and-dance routine>

that's what I thought of

I typed that from memory btw, and 10 points to whoever knows where it's from

TRat
2007-01-19, 06:36 AM
Regarding Parson not speaking langauge, I think because his first words were censored and thus came out as boop (as widely noted here), Stanley assumed he didn't speak language. I think we will find that Stanley did understand him at the end when he was speaking to Wanda, but Stanley is still flabbargasted.

Also re:points, I think everyone is right that it means stat points but I had to double check#17 that one of Stanley's requests wasn't that the warlord have killer armour with spiky points all over it!

erewhon
2007-01-19, 06:48 AM

People are always allowed to like whatever authors they want. But to bust into a public forum and trash-talk, then use THAT lineup?

Compare them to, well, guys that are good.

Thomas Covenant as an example of a writers craft? Terry "Pot-boiler" Brooks? Dude! C'mon!

Well, no accounting for taste, I guess. :) If you like those guys, that's fine, go for it. Just be aware, your taste is, uh, different than a lot of people. And that's fine!

At least nobody has compared Erfworld unfavorably to Gor yet. <shudder>

Second, it seemed to me like Parson's head came about level to Wanda's chest when he was on his hands and feet so he might actualy be very large in Erfworld.

Oh, it seems pretty clear to me, Stanley is maybe three feet tall, at best. Parson is a very, VERY big boy. Just what Stanley wanted! :)

Third

I dont think the room changed, it just looks different because the spell has died out.

Exactly.

Pentegarn
2007-01-19, 06:54 AM

If that was intentional though.... well I don't like to throw the word "genius" about willy-nilly, but that would be genius if it was deliberate rather than coincidental.

Only the writers will know for sure I guess.

Jorkens
2007-01-19, 07:24 AM
Or it could be that the spell would have produced a much more "standard" effect if a proper findamancer had cast it... they probably would have gotten a warlord exactly like Stanley asked for, not just barely fitting his criteria and missing many things considered bsaic parts of this world.
Yes - I think it's pretty clear from page 17 - "I... I am not a findamancer... these physical requirements are too much" - that Wanda being a croakamancer makes the spell quite difficult to use, so she can't get as much out of it as a findamancer could. So she has to settle for seeking out a military genius who's big and eats marbits for breakfast rather than sticking in a lot of additional physical requirements, which would presumably have made the spell harder to cast.

TheAnimal
2007-01-19, 07:36 AM
I love how Lord Stanley's insecurity shows again.
"I get it. I get jokes."
Of course that boophole blames the whole mess on Wanda.
It seems also typical of him to judge everything by first impression - he's already convinced that the "crazy giant potato man" is useless to him, without even seeing Parson do anything.
Pretty much what I expected of him.

baltor85
2007-01-19, 08:09 AM
Wait, how is that? In my experience, it takes longer because you have to type the semicolons too...
I wouldn't know, I haven't used the avatars at all :P It's just the people who abuse them. I'd rather read Miko than see a little Miko face in a thread all about Miko. It gets annoying to see a funny little face 20 times in a post.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-19, 12:36 PM
Oh very nice indeed.

I love how the plot has developed in the last few strips. I'm officially hooked now. I love Wanda and her headache spell. I loved the previous strip too.

Thank you!

Hmm

Lord Zentei
2007-01-19, 12:54 PM

It is pretty clearly intentional: look at the seventh panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0009.html). That's a dead ringer for the O'RLY? owl.

chionophile
2007-01-19, 01:16 PM
It is pretty clearly intentional: look at the seventh panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0009.html). That's a dead ringer for the O'RLY? owl.

No no, you misunderstood. I was saying the spelling modification was unintentional. Orly is Owly with an R instead of a W, which is backwards from the other misspellings that use a W instead of an R. Obviously the reference to the meme was intentional.

eheins
2007-01-19, 04:37 PM
Yes, that would explain it. Poor Parson, I hope the headaches are from the PLOT and he doesn't get one each time he says a boopism.

Unfortunately for Parson, the headaches are probably caused by the cursing, not the...plotting. It clearly hits him in Frame 5, apparently as an immediate result of his saying "Holy Boop" in Frame 4. Before that, he looks like he might be fatigued, and perhaps stunned, but not in pain.

Kadasbrass
2007-01-19, 05:10 PM
I am glade the boop usage died down after page 1. I like the comic, just the joke got old quick on the forums.

Winged One
2007-01-19, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately for Parson, the headaches are probably caused by the cursing, not the...plotting. It clearly hits him in Frame 5, apparently as an immediate result of his saying "Holy Boop" in Frame 4. Before that, he looks like he might be fatigued, and perhaps stunned, but not in pain.

No, he just hit his head on the celing because he's so booping tall compared to the native Erflings.

MrCab
2007-01-19, 06:19 PM
THe comics have been amusing here thus far, but I think this is the first one that made me lean back and smile and say "OOoooooo...."

Now it shoudl get veeeeeeery interesting :smallsmile:

Silencer
2007-01-19, 06:39 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.

i can so relate to the punchline....

Erek Garnsfel
2007-01-19, 07:29 PM
boopity boop

rashambo
2007-01-19, 08:23 PM
Ok, you're starting to win me over. This is getting interesting.

LurkerBeneath
2007-01-19, 09:30 PM
I typed that from memory btw, and 10 points to whoever knows where it's from
Maid Marian and Her Merry Men (http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63269)
10 points to Google™!

No, he just hit his head on the celing because he's so booping tall compared to the native Erflings.
I don't think the ceiling's that low. They're in a tower, after all, and also the perspective in panel 10 is from a point well above where a ceiling would have to be for Parson to hit his head on it.
-LB

Kanthalion
2007-01-19, 10:20 PM
I gotta say, Wanda: Brainy, Beautiful, Badboop, with a Barely covered Bod. I think Faye Valentine has some competition for my comic crush.

nobodez
2007-01-20, 01:34 AM
Well, I've got to say, I really like 18. It's good, and has some excellent plot in it. We get some more interaction with Lord Stanley, whom has cemented his place as a man with a serious Napoleon complex. We also get insight on Wanda, although mostly in her interaction with Parson and her ability to ignore Stanley. As to Parson, we realize that he's a lot like us; a bit more geeky, a bit larger, or a bit more slothful.

Also, I'm thinking Parson's a Smart Hero with the Savant (Knowledge (popular culture)) talent and the Plan talent, with possibly a level in Dedicated Hero for Skill Emphasis (Knowledge (popular culture)).

eheins
2007-01-20, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged One http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1857066#post1857066)

I don't think the ceiling's that low. They're in a tower, after all, and also the perspective in panel 10 is from a point well above where a ceiling would have to be for Parson to hit his head on it.
-LB

Oh, I wouldn't suggest you think of Winged One's comment as an argument.

I get jokes.

(But the funny ones are easier to get.)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-20, 03:17 AM
Also, I'm thinking Parson's a Smart Hero with the Savant (Knowledge (popular culture)) talent and the Plan talent, with possibly a level in Dedicated Hero for Skill Emphasis (Knowledge (popular culture)).

It has been established that this means nothing in Erfworld. :smallbiggrin:

However, I think Parson might be interesting in combat. He's as big as a gwiffon, isn't he?

Idris
2007-01-20, 06:17 AM

I thought it reminded me of something, now I know

- Cartman and the V-chip :smallamused:

Idris

zachol
2007-01-21, 08:31 AM
Hmm.

Panel 5 looks... very odd, but yes, this is a good one.

I'm waiting for 19, though - I think (or hope) that a lot of things will click in the next one.

innovan
2007-01-22, 06:38 PM
What happened to the "this comic is different from OotS because it won't have a punchline in the end panel"?

Since that posting by the author about how different his strip will be ...he seems to now have a punchline in every end panel ! (or minimum, a cliff hanger)

chionophile
2007-01-22, 08:21 PM
I believe the statement was that it won't have a punchline in every end panel. Rob is allowed to make jokes, isn't he?

And I wouldn't really count "Boop me in the boop" as a punchline.