PDA

View Full Version : So... Erfworld is censored?

Runolfr
2007-01-18, 03:58 PM
The "Nintendo RPG reality" is starting to have funny moments, but it's very booping weird.

onasuma
2007-01-18, 04:09 PM
True, but think of the problems with a censored universe.

Azrael
2007-01-18, 04:21 PM
... you can't use 10 words?

you mean ... like a forum?

Erk
2007-01-19, 01:17 AM
Since they clearly have their own "polite" versions of said words, like "crap" and "boink" or whatever they say, I don't think it will cause them much problem.

I see the "boop" as more of an (hilarious) technique for the authors to avoid having the cutesy erflings swear, while still letting Parson use strong language without breaking the feel of the comic. Having cuss words in erfworld would seem out of place.

I also see it as a recurring joke that needs no buildup, detracts not at all from the flow of the comic, and will get a chuckle very often.

Jorkens
2007-01-19, 10:23 AM
I also see it as a recurring joke that needs no buildup, detracts not at all from the flow of the comic, and will get a chuckle very often.
I'm not that sold on it myself - I just don't find it very funny. But I'm guessing that Parson isn't going to continue trying to swear constantly so it's unlikely to be that intrusive...

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-01-19, 11:27 AM
It isn't uncommon for sci-fi/fantasy to have work arounds for strong language. Frell was in Farscape. Firefly used Chinese (cantonese?) for their strong language.

Lazy Fat Man
2007-01-19, 12:46 PM
While I like the use of "boop", and I think it's funny, I find it odd that Erfworld is censored while Hamstard is not. I can't help but wonder if Erfworld is censored because it's hosted by GITP.

TinSoldier
2007-01-19, 12:48 PM
While I like the use of boop, and I think it's funny, I find it odd that Erfworld is censored while Hamstard is not. I can't help but wonder if Erfworld is censored because it's hosted by GITP.I doubt that it is censored because it is hosted here. It might not be hosted here if it contained swear words.

I think that it is just part of the world that is filled with many somewhat childish things.

DiscountNinja
2007-01-19, 04:31 PM
I can't say the lack of strong langague bothers me all that much, I doubt the whole "boop" thing will turn up all that often, to be honest, considering what i've seen so far, I doubt Elfworld will really have a lot of strong langauge, and what there is that gets used will be sporadic at best and for comic effect

Wardog
2007-01-20, 08:49 AM
While I like the use of "boop", and I think it's funny, I find it odd that Erfworld is censored while Hamstard is not. I can't help but wonder if Erfworld is censored because it's hosted by GITP.

I'm not quite sure if Erfworld is supposed to be set in a computer strategy game, or a table-top one, but if its the former, I expect this is (at least in part) a parody/ joke on the way forums and on-line messaging systems automatically censor words.

I wonder if the Erfworld's auto-censor only targets actual swear words, or if it also blocks innocent words that contain swearwords (e.g. S****horpe).

headwarpage
2007-01-20, 09:57 AM
Am I the only one who would have fallen out of my chair laughing if Parson's profanity had been changed to "wombat" and "spoon"?

Om
2007-01-20, 11:25 AM
While I like the use of "boop", and I think it's funny, I find it odd that Erfworld is censored while Hamstard is not.I think that's the point. Hamstard exists in our world and so obeys our laws, or lack of them. But Parson isn't in Kansas our world any more and now he's subject to the laws and rules of Erfworld.

faerwain
2007-01-20, 11:42 AM
Yep, I think Om points it out exactly. If you saw "Last Action Hero", it's the same principle: "Just read out loud what I wrote". "I don't want to." "No, you can't! Because it's rated PG 13 here!"

(Not quoted correctly, but you get the point).

Coffee_Dragon
2007-01-20, 03:15 PM
I'm not an Englisher, so I have to ask: is "crap" really significantly less offensive than "****"?

TinSoldier
2007-01-20, 03:19 PM
I'm not an Englisher, so I have to ask: is "crap" really significantly less offensive than "****"?Yes, at least in the US.

Coffee_Dragon
2007-01-20, 03:24 PM
Uh, I guess the board filter should have tipped me off.

Madalin
2007-01-22, 01:45 AM
I like using "carp". It leaves people saying "Wait, wtf?".

Kjata
2007-01-22, 02:00 AM
All I have to say is the censor in Erfworld really ****s me off, honestly. I wish OotS dropped the f-bomb occasionally.

RandomNPC
2007-01-22, 06:13 PM
boopity boopity boop boop.

its funnier with characters and word bubbles. i liked it.

The Extinguisher
2007-01-22, 08:26 PM
All I have to say is the censor in Erfworld really ****s me off, honestly. I wish OotS dropped the f-bomb occasionally.

Of course, because things are only truely good once they start dropping the F-bomb. [/sarcasm]

Lazy Fat Man
2007-01-22, 08:50 PM
boopity boopity boop boop.

its funnier with characters and word bubbles. i liked it.

Awww SNAP! RandomNPC just dropped the B-bomb!

Mewtroid
2007-01-23, 04:22 PM
An occasional F-bomb WOULD spice up OOTS some, yes. I can think of two or three occasions where it would have been appropriate.

I don't think cussing would work with Erfworld, however. This boop is, on the other hand, perfect. It gets the point across that he's trying to cuss, it sounds cutesy and/or funny (Try saying it out loud. Preferably in context.)

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-23, 04:55 PM
Personally, I'm glad that Erfworld/OotS doesn't drop any F-bombs, mostly because it would be awkward to read when my parents are around so much. I could just not read it until theyre gone, but...

With Erfworld, it fits, I think the "boop" is kind of stupid, myself, but again, it fits the comic, so instead of being funny to me, it's just another part of the comic.

mport2004
2007-01-23, 05:00 PM
Personally, I'm glad that Erfworld/OotS doesn't drop any F-bombs, mostly because it would be awkward to read when my parents are around so much. I could just not read it until theyre gone, but...

I second that

archon_huskie
2007-01-23, 05:24 PM
I'm not an Englisher, so I have to ask: is "crap" really significantly less offensive than "****"?
There is a myth that the inventor fo the toliet was Thomas Crapper. In truth, Crapper was involved in the plumbing business in 19th century England, but did not invent it.

But the association is wide spread enought that Crapper's name weakens the vulgarity of the word. **** has no such luck.

Darth Paradox
2007-01-23, 07:19 PM
Further, IIRC "crap" as a colloquialism for feces predates Thomas Crapper and whatever involvement with the toilet he had. Must have been an amusing bit of wittiness that led to them being called "crappers".

Aliquid
2007-01-23, 07:19 PM
There is a myth that the inventor fo the toliet was Thomas Crapper. In truth, Crapper was involved in the plumbing business in 19th century England, but did not invent it.I always knew it as John Crapper, not Thomas. Which was the explanation of why the bathroom is also called the "john"

KithKunabi
2007-01-23, 07:23 PM
What, no love for Henry ****ter?

"Spoon me in the Wombat"... better or wose then Boop me in the Boop?

archon_huskie
2007-01-24, 03:51 AM
I always knew it as John Crapper, not Thomas. Which was the explanation of why the bathroom is also called the "john"

Yeah, that's part of the my th and sadly not true.:smallfrown:

Azrael
2007-01-24, 11:29 AM

Wait. Pisses is censored? :smallconfused:

Obviously not. And it's not the right number of letters.

Did you really just add an -s to either of the four letters just to get censored? :smallsigh:

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-24, 03:37 PM
I always knew it as John Crapper, not Thomas. Which was the explanation of why the bathroom is also called the "john"

I was always under the impression that it was known as 'The John' after King John, who was so terrible, his nobles got together to force the Magna Carta on him and create a democratic monarchy who is not above the law.

Anyways, I like this. Boop may become my new not-a-swear-word-honestly word.

Darth Paradox
2007-01-24, 04:10 PM
I was always under the impression that it was known as 'The John' after King John, who was so terrible, his nobles got together to force the Magna Carta on him and create a democratic monarchy who is not above the law.

Anyways, I like this. Boop may become my new not-a-swear-word-honestly word.

I'm pretty sure that was just a joke from Men In Tights.

However, IIRC that's the reason that there hasn't been a king named John since.

Regarding the toilet, the original inventor was apparently John Harington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harington), and the slang was derived from his name, according to Wikipedia.

Wardog
2007-01-24, 06:07 PM
An occasional F-bomb WOULD spice up OOTS some, yes. I can think of two or three occasions where it would have been appropriate.

I disagree. I even think Durkon's "Wanker" seemed out of place.

It's not that I have a problem with swearing, it's just that it doesn't seem to me to fit with the style of OOTS.

Stormblade
2007-01-24, 10:22 PM
I would like to propose the idea that "Boop" is for the sound of the noise sometimes used to censor audio.

Erk
2007-01-24, 11:33 PM
I thought that was already assumed, stormblade...

Aliquid
2007-01-25, 09:58 AM
I thought that was already assumed, stormblade...Well I think some people might have been thinking he was saying the word "boop", and didn't realize that might be the beeping sound "boop".

Beleriphon
2007-01-29, 06:08 AM
Well I think some people might have been thinking he was saying the word "boop", and didn't realize that might be the beeping sound "boop".

Logical assumption, but I expect that he's trying to swear but boop actually comes out. It isn't a filter so much as Parson being physically incapable of cursing because he's in Erfworld. The most obvious reference that the boop draws upon is the sound used as an audio sensor, although for that to be more clear I think a beep would have been a better choice. Boop is not what I think of when I hear that sounds, beep however certainly is.

Whisper
2007-01-29, 10:26 AM
At the end of 20 Wanda says "you will only say that word again". I took that word as actually being Boop verses a sound.

SteveMB
2007-03-03, 05:26 PM
Hmmm... interesting that language is censored, but violence (including violence with obvious BDSM overtones) isn't.

TinSoldier
2007-03-03, 07:07 PM
Hmmm... interesting that language is censored, but violence (including violence with obvious BDSM overtones) isn't.And how is that different from almost any other media (at least in the US)?

agentx42
2007-03-04, 01:09 AM
I doubt that it is censored because it is hosted here. It might not be hosted here if it contained swear words.

I think that it is just part of the world that is filled with many somewhat childish things.

Right. Rich has used G-D in OotS before, so it's not unprecedented to see obscenities. I think it's just an Erfworld thing.

Webwalker
2007-03-04, 08:55 AM
Maybe it will be explained in the comic itself; as someone pointed out, Parson knows that he's saying Boop instead of swearing, and isn't intending to swear. Just another mystery about Erfworld that will hopefully get explained.

Flakey
2007-03-04, 09:13 AM
Crapper was involved in the plumbing business in 19th century England, but did not invent it.

He did not invent it, but add several improvements to the "new style" flushing toilets, and thereby won the contract to outfit the majority of English army bases with them. So blame english soliders for the word :)

I would say in my experience in England though, that the two words seem to carry equal wieght in every day usage.

agentx42
2007-03-04, 02:30 PM
I disagree. I even think Durkon's "Wanker" seemed out of place.

It's not that I have a problem with swearing, it's just that it doesn't seem to me to fit with the style of OOTS.

Actually...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0134.html

In case anyone wants proof that Rich occasionally drops a blasphemy or two. However, since Comedy Central bleeps out everything else but lets THAT word go, I see no reason why Rich can't use it, either.

SteveMB
2007-03-04, 05:05 PM
Maybe it will be explained in the comic itself; as someone pointed out, Parson knows that he's saying Boop instead of swearing, and isn't intending to swear.
Huh? I think he most definitely did intend to swear at first (though perhaps that changed when he realized that swear words came out as "boop").

dakiwiboid
2007-03-04, 05:09 PM
I love "boop", personally, and I wish I weren't so old to retrain myself to start using it in my own vocabulary. I mean, "boop me in the boop" is such a fine near-obscenity!

Space-Is-Curved
2007-03-04, 05:20 PM
My younger brother reads Erfworld, so I am glad it is censored.

SteveMB
2007-03-04, 05:35 PM
My younger brother reads Erfworld, so I am glad it is censored.
So, what does he think of #28 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0028.html) & #30 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0030.html)?