PDA

View Full Version : Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) and D&D

Catharsis
2007-01-19, 12:20 PM
Does anybody else know the German fantasy RPG "Das Schwarze Auge" (DSA; The Dark Eye in the English edition)?

I've read myself rather deeply into the world, which I liked quite a lot, but the actual gaming group was exceptionally short-lived. After that, our D&D group assembled and prospered. Though I find the D&D rule system brilliant and the action-rich, balanced gameplay very engaging, I still don't know the campaign worlds too well, and find myself missing the lovingly made details of the DSA world.

If I were to play in the DSA world again, I would want to use D&D rules, though. The DSA rules are baroquely overcomplexified, yet still all too easy to break even without wanting to.

The setting would have to be low-magic, so maybe a straight wizard would just not fit in. DSA magicians start out stronger than lvl 1 wizards, but don't grow much in power at all. Maybe full casters should get Bard-like spell progressions instead, and the Bard be reduced to Paladin-like casting (magic dilettant). This is debatable, though, one could just raise the magic level of the DSA world during the conversion and live with the (drastic) shift in flavor.

Does anyone know of a conversion of the DSA world to D&D? Otherwise, I'd be tempted to make one myself. Anyone wanna help? ;)