PDA

View Full Version : Hideous Blow Tweak (3.5 D&D PEACH)

bobthe6th
2013-12-31, 03:49 PM
Least Invocation:
Hideous Blow, Blast shape, Effective spell level 1
As a move action using this invoaction the Warlock can imbue any held weapon with an eldrich blast. This effect deals an extra damage equal to the warlocks eldrich blast damage to the next target he successfully hits with a melee attack. An Eldrich Essence invocation may be combined with this blast shape as normal.

This invocation disipates after dealing damage.

Once a warlock has cast this invocation, it holds the extra energy until it is used or the warlock casts this invocation again.

Zman
2014-01-02, 12:35 PM
Least Invocation:
Hideous Blow, Blast shape, Effective spell level 1
As a move action using this invoaction the Warlock can imbue any held weapon with an eldrich blast. This effect deals an extra damage equal to the warlocks eldrich blast damage to the next target he successfully hits with a melee attack. An Eldrich Essence invocation may be combined with this blast shape as normal.

This invocation disipates after dealing damage.

Once a warlock has cast this invocation, it holds the extra energy until it is used or the warlock casts this invocation again.

This is only a marginal improvement. I don't see how this change is improving the effect that much.

Now, as a swift action to enhance all melee attacks of the Warlock that round would be effective and lead to some interesting melee Warlock Builds.

Ziegander
2014-01-02, 01:15 PM
Sure, but a swift action to give all melee attacks +10d6 to damage doesn't seem a little bit overpowered to you?

However, I too don't see how this improves over the original at all. Of course... I don't see what the problem with the original is...

Zman
2014-01-02, 01:19 PM
Sure, but a swift action to give all melee attacks +10d6 to damage doesn't seem a little bit overpowered to you?

However, I too don't see how this improves over the original at all. Of course... I don't see what the problem with the original is...

Nope, not at all when its on a Warlock's chassis. You sure could make a build around it, but it seriously won't be a winner for damage and will merely be competent. I see that as a plus, not a problem.

DeAnno
2014-01-02, 04:05 PM
Nope, not at all when its on a Warlock's chassis. You sure could make a build around it, but it seriously won't be a winner for damage and will merely be competent. I see that as a plus, not a problem.

There are a lot of serious issues with it in fact, starting with how they aren't even touch attacks. Eldritch Glaive has its numerous problems, but at least it makes touch attacks, and it doesn't even eat your swift.

I could see the move action version seeing some use in ToB style builds, maybe with either very light dipping or if you could cheat your way into Jade Phoenix Mage somehow.

bobthe6th
2014-01-03, 01:14 AM
The main issue is that Hideous blow as written is really, really ugly to look at. Much like eldrich glave, they felt the need to write invocations like spells rather then class features.

This was just a tweak to bring the invocation in line with psychic strike, an ability I thought very similar to the intent of the invocation.