PDA

View Full Version : Zman's E10 Fighter(3.5)

Zman
2014-01-01, 12:12 PM
This is part of my E10 project aimed at creating a richer and more balanced DnD experience. The classes are meant to be balanced between between Tiers 2-4. A 20th level character ends up as a 10//10 Gestalt.

Fighter

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Bonus Feat

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Bonus Feat

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Obstinate, Armored Comfort

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Bonus Feat

5th|+5/+1|+4|+4|+1|Measured Strike

6th|+6/+2|+5|+5|+2|Bonus Feat,

7th|+7/+3|+5|+5|+2|Quick Strike

8th|+8/+4|+6|+6|+2|Bonus Feat

9th|+9/+5/+1|+6|+6|+3|Battlefield Movement

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Bonus Feat, Veteran

[/table]

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d10.

Saves
Fort:Good
Ref: Good
Will: Poor

Class Skills
The fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Gather Information(Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide(Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge Dungeoneering(Int), Knowledge Local(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Ride (Dex), Search(Int), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble(Dex) and Use Rope(Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Bonus Feats
At 1st level, a fighter gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The fighter gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every two fighter levels thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A fighter is not limited to the list of fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats.

Obstinate

At Level 3 Fighter is truly stubborn, once per day they can choose to roll two will saves and take the better value. This decision must be made prior to the first save being attempted. At 6th and 9th level the Fighter gains another use per day of the Obstinate ability.

Armored Comfort

At 3rd level the Fighter grows more comfortable in any armor that he wears, the Max Dexterity Modifier of the armor increases by 1 and the Armor Check Penalty of shields and armor is decreased by 1 for the fighter. This ability increases its bonus to Maximum Dexterity Modifier, and its reduction to Armor Check Penalty by an additional one at 9th level. The Fighter also ignores movement penalties for Medium Armor at 3rd Level and Heavy armor at 9th level.

As an added benefit the fighter also gains a competency bonus equal to his Armored Comfort Level to AC(+1 at 3rd, and +2 at 9th level). This bonus also applies when unarmored.

Measured Strike

At 5th level the Fighter learns to measure his strikes to land powerful blows. When making iterative attacks the fighter can forgo an iterative attack to grant an untyped +4 bonus to hit and deal an additional d6 points of damage with each attack until the start of his next round. Any number of Iterative attacks can be sacrificed in this fashion. The decision to sacrifice an iterative attack must be made prior to making any attacks that round.

Quick Strike

At 7th level the Fighter cans the ability to make their first iterative attack when attacking as a standard action or as part of a charge. This grants the fighter a second attack on the charge. A two weapon fighter can use Quick Strike to attack with their off hand weapon instead of making an iterative attack.

Battlefield Movement

At 9th level the Fighter is more adept at moving around the battlefield, he now can take an additional 5' step per round. All of the standard rules for making a 5' step apply to this additional 5' step.

Veteran

At 10th level the Fighter is truly a veteran of battle, he doubles the critical threat range of any weapon he has Weapon Focus with. If the Fighter already benefits from an effect that doubles his critical threat range such as the Improved Critical Feat or Keen Weapon Enhancement he instead expands his critical range by one.

ACF's

Armored Mage

Level: 1st
Replaces: Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiencies, Shield Proficiencies except Light Shields.
Gained: No Arcane Spell Failure in Light Armor or with Light Shields.

Dungeon Delver

Level: 2nd
Loses: Fighter Bonus Feat
Gains: Trapfinding(Knowledge Dungeoneering to find traps)

Knight

Replaces: Fighter Bonus feat at 1st, 2nd, and 4th level.
Gains:
1st: Mounted Combat, Born in the Saddle
2nd: Ride-by Attack
4th: Spirited Charge
5th: Mount, as Druids Animal Companion(Good Progression). Must be a Light War Horse, Heavy Warhorse, Riding Dog, or other Similar approved mount.

Born in the Saddle: the Knight adds 1/2 his Knight, to a minimum of 1, Level to Handle Animal and Ride Checks involving any animal he is attempting to use as a mount. A knight may always take 10 for Ride and handle Animal checks involving any animal he is using for a mount.

Sword and Shield Style

Level: 3rd
Loses: Armored Comfort
Gains: Sword and Shield Style: Improve Shield bonus by 1, reduce Shield ACF by 1, +2 Damage with Single Handed Weapons(While using a Shield). Shield bonus applies to Touch AC. These bonus each improve by one at 9th level.

As an added benefit the fighter also gains a competency bonus equal to his Armored Comfort Level to AC(+1 at 3rd, and +2 at 9th level) to AC. This bonus also applies when unarmored.

Thug

Loses: 1st Level Fighter Bonus Feat, Meadium and Heavy Armor Proficiencies, Tower Shield Proficiency.
Gains: 6 Skill Points per level, Urban Tracking, and Quick Draw.

Zman
2014-01-01, 12:13 PM
Change Log

1-2-14
Additional use of Obstinate at 6th level.

SowZ
2014-01-02, 04:14 AM
I'd make Obstinate an always on ability. It's too weak as is, leaving Fighters oh so vulnerable to being owned by magic. Their low will save makes succeeding either roll unlikely, and you wasted the ability if you succeed on the first roll. Throw them a bone, I'd say.

Zman
2014-01-02, 10:01 AM
I'd make Obstinate an always on ability. It's too weak as is, leaving Fighters oh so vulnerable to being owned by magic. Their low will save makes succeeding either roll unlikely, and you wasted the ability if you succeed on the first roll. Throw them a bone, I'd say.

But, its still way better than base fighter. Having the option of greatly increase your chances of success for a critical save is a fun, suspenseful ability that offers a minor boost to the class. A passive ability has no choice, where as having a limited resource allows the Fighter to choose to do things, something they were sorely lacking.

For instance, a Fighter with a +2 Will Save vs a DC16 Save. Only a 35% chance of success.

If the Fighter choose to use Obstinate he has a 58% chance of success. Almost equivalent of a +5 bonus.

Its situation ally better than even giving them a static Good Will Save progression. I'm not opposed to increasing the number of times per day they could use it.

Thank you for your input.

SowZ
2014-01-02, 03:40 PM
But, its still way better than base fighter. Having the option of greatly increase your chances of success for a critical save is a fun, suspenseful ability that offers a minor boost to the class. A passive ability has no choice, where as having a limited resource allows the Fighter to choose to do things, something they were sorely lacking.

For instance, a Fighter with a +2 Will Save vs a DC16 Save. Only a 35% chance of success.

If the Fighter choose to use Obstinate he has a 58% chance of success. Almost equivalent of a +5 bonus.

Its situation ally better than even giving them a static Good Will Save progression. I'm not opposed to increasing the number of times per day they could use it.

Thank you for your input.

How about giving them the option to re-roll a failed save, then? Having to choose to use it beforehand means you have equal odds of wasting the ability entirely, which is just frustrating rather than fun since it is a 1/day ability. If you increase the uses and make it a re-roll thing it will become a decent ability. As it stands it doesn't really change the Fighters power much.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-02, 03:51 PM
But, its still way better than base fighter.
As are things growing in ponds. I second SowZ's idea of having it let you reroll a failed save. I'd also give it more uses-- say, Con modifier/day.

While a general improvement, I think you could go farther, especially on the non-combat side of things. I'm a big fan of giving fighters a Bardic Knowledge type ability, for example.

SowZ
2014-01-02, 04:10 PM
As are things growing in ponds. I second SowZ's idea of having it let you reroll a failed save. I'd also give it more uses-- say, Con modifier/day.

While a general improvement, I think you could go farther, especially on the non-combat side of things. I'm a big fan of giving fighters a Bardic Knowledge type ability, for example.

Some sort of tactical training or warriors intuition, too, that lets them look at how someone carries themselves and guess their BAB would be interesting, while not very balance changing. More flavorful then powerful, but adds a bit of utility.