PDA

View Full Version : Zman's E10 Sorcerer(3.5)

Zman
2014-01-01, 04:46 PM
This is part of my E10 project aimed at creating a richer and more balanced DnD experience. The classes are meant to be balanced between between Tiers 2-4. A 20th level character ends up as a 10//10 Gestalt.

Sorcerer

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Eschew Materials, Bonus Spells|5|3|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3||6|4|—|—|—

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Signature Spell|6|5|3|—|—

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Sorcerous Power|6|6|4|—|—

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4||6|6|5|3|—

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Signature Spell|6|6|6|4|—

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Sorcerous Might|6|6|6|5|—

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6||6|6|6|6|3

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Signature Spell|6|6|6|6|4

10th|+5/+1|+3|+3|+7|Pinnacle of Sorcerous Talent|6|6|6|6|5

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge(arcana) (Int), Listen(Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Spot(Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Spells Known

{table]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|4|2|—|—|—

2nd|5|2|—|—|—

3rd|5|3|1|—|—

4th|6|3|2|—|—

5th|6|4|2|1|—

6th|7|4|3|2|—

7th|7|5|3|2|—

8th|8|5|4|3|1

9th|8|6|4|3|2

10th|9|6|5|4|2
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sorcerers are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a sorcerer’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells: A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.

A sorcerer’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the sorcerer “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level sorcerer spell the sorcerer can cast. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Bonus Spells

At the Appropriate level add the following spells to the Sorcerer's Spells Known List: Detect Magic(0th), Read Magic(0th), Identify(1st), and Dispel Magic(3rd)

Eschew Materials

At 1st level a Sorcerer receives Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.

Signature Spell

At 3rd level and every 3 levels thereafter a Sorcerer gains a Signature Spell. The spell bus be a Spell the Sorcerer already knows and at least one level lower than the maximum spell level the Sorcerer is capable of Casting. The Sorcerer chooses upon gaining the Signature Spell either Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Enlarge Spell, Heighten Spell, Still Spell, or Silent Spell. Once selected the Sorcerer can apply the chosen Metamagic to the spell without an increase in spell level or casting time. Once chosen Signature Spells cannot be changed.

A Sorcerer can choose a selected Signature Spell, if chosen multiple times apply all applicable metamagics to the Signature Spell.

Sorcerous Power

At 4th level a Sorcerer casts Signature Spells at +1 Caster Lever.

Sorcerous Might

At 7th level a Sorcerer gains a +2 bonus to overcome Spell Resistance with Signature Spells.

Pinnacle of Sorcerous Talent

At 10th level the Sorcerer is a master of innate magic and gains one spell known per spell level.

ACF's
Battle Sorcerer

Level: 1st
Changes: Sorcerer Gains a d10 Hit Dice, a Medium Base Attack Bonus, and proficiency with a single Martial Weapon of his choice, but loses one spell known per spell level to a minimum of one and can cast one fewer spell per day per spell level.

Prodigy

Level: 1st
Changes: d4 Hit dice
Gains: One additional Spell Known for each Spell level.

Zman
2014-01-01, 04:47 PM
Change Log

SowZ
2014-01-02, 04:07 AM
Prodigy seems to be a too obvious choice. I'd make the benefit something like, 'Gain one additional signature spell' or something. An extra spell slot at every level for a loss of one Hit Point per level? It's a no brainer. Especially if the system eventually lets you gestalt, negating the penalty. Can you think of a way to make the penalty apply once you gestalt another class in? If I start a character out gestalted, there is literally zero reason not to pick prodigy.

Sorcerous Might seems a tad lackluster. What if it also added 1 to the DC of the spells?

I like the concept over all, though, and think gearing the game to a 10 level system makes balance a lot easier. Balancing the game over a full 20 levels is a nigh impossible feat.

Have you considered letting there be capstone feats casters can take one time that lets them know a single fifth level spell and cast it once per day? 5th level has some really flavorful stuff and stuff that can alter the game world, but with such a limitation shouldn't be game breaking. Still, I like the idea that epic feats of magic can be achieved at high enough levels.

Zman
2014-01-02, 09:49 AM
Prodigy seems to be a too obvious choice. I'd make the benefit something like, 'Gain one additional signature spell' or something. An extra spell slot at every level for a loss of one Hit Point per level? It's a no brainer. Especially if the system eventually lets you gestalt, negating the penalty. Can you think of a way to make the penalty apply once you gestalt another class in? If I start a character out gestalted, there is literally zero reason not to pick prodigy.

Sorcerous Might seems a tad lackluster. What if it also added 1 to the DC of the spells?

I like the concept over all, though, and think gearing the game to a 10 level system makes balance a lot easier. Balancing the game over a full 20 levels is a nigh impossible feat.

Have you considered letting there be capstone feats casters can take one time that lets them know a single fifth level spell and cast it once per day? 5th level has some really flavorful stuff and stuff that can alter the game world, but with such a limitation shouldn't be game breaking. Still, I like the idea that epic feats of magic can be achieved at high enough levels.

I agree, Prodigy is almost an auto include. It was an ACF originally designed for my 20 level classes. The classes were also written to support a more traditional non Gestalt E10 environment as well, where it becomes a tougher decision. But, one spell known per level isn't game breaking, it does offer a minor HP penalty if Sorcerer is their Primary class, and does make choosing to Gestalt Wizard or something similarly frail a bad idea. Its in the same vein as Battle Sorcerer being a bad choice, unless you are choosing to Gestalt with a frail magic using class, etc.

These ACFs are something that probably will need some tweaking after the current play test.

Thank you for your input.

SowZ
2014-01-02, 03:41 PM
I agree, Prodigy is almost an auto include. It was an ACF originally designed for my 20 level classes. The classes were also written to support a more traditional non Gestalt E10 environment as well, where it becomes a tougher decision. But, one spell known per level isn't game breaking, it does offer a minor HP penalty if Sorcerer is their Primary class, and does make choosing to Gestalt Wizard or something similarly frail a bad idea. Its in the same vein as Battle Sorcerer being a bad choice, unless you are choosing to Gestalt with a frail magic using class, etc.

These ACFs are something that probably will need some tweaking after the current play test.

Thank you for your input.

Even if it is your main class, -1 HP for HD for increased spell slots is still a no brainer. No brainer decisions shouldn't be ACFs but just incorporated into the class, otherwise its just the illusion of choice that penalizes those who go vanilla.

DeAnno
2014-01-02, 09:29 PM
At the Appropriate level add the following spells to the Sorcerer's Spells Known List: Detect Magic(0th), Read Magic(0th), Identify(1st), Dispel Magic(3rd), Greater Dispel Magic(6th)[/B]

How is this Sorc ever going to cast a 6th level spell?

Zman
2014-01-02, 10:06 PM
How is this Sorc ever going to cast a 6th level spell?

Good catch, copy paste error from my full 20 class. Thank you.