PDA

View Full Version : Techy Types Question

Ravens_cry
2014-01-05, 06:41 PM
Ok, I probably sound like a total newbie for asking this BUT, I got a problem. Recently I was inundated with a bunch of malware. Me culpa, there is surprisingly shady sites that try to trick you into thinking you can download an eBook.
That's gone now, I think, but I had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Now my trouble starts. I want to restore my bookmarks, BUT when I try to load the backup file it says "Unable to process the backup file." Also, the back button seems to be wonky as well. As in, it doesn't work.
Help me Techy types, you are my only hope.
Running Windows Vista, 2GB RAM, 2.33 GHz processor, Mozilla Firefox 26

Grinner
2014-01-05, 06:45 PM
Firefox actually supports two kinds of backup files: HTML and JSON. Which of these is it?

Edit: Actually, how are you trying to restore it? Are you using a backup you made yourself, or are you using one of the automated backups?

Nevermind. Reverse ninja'd?

Ravens_cry
2014-01-05, 06:51 PM
Firefox actually supports two kinds of backup files: HTML and JSON. Which of these is it?
JSON. I know where the backup file is, I saved it to my document folder but ol' firefox won't accept it.

Grinner
2014-01-05, 06:56 PM
Are you using "Import and Backup->Restore->Choose File"?

Ravens_cry
2014-01-05, 07:02 PM
Are you using "Import and Backup->Restore->Choose File"?
Aye, yes I am.

Grinner
2014-01-05, 07:17 PM
What version of Firefox were you using when you made the backup? Though I don't see why it would, it's possible that an upgrade could have broken compatibility. It that is the case, installing the previous version, exporting to HTML, and importing that into Firefox 26 might work.

Otherwise, your only option seems to be opening the file in Firefox ("File->Open File") and recreating the bookmarks manually, unless anyone can think of a better idea.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-05, 07:31 PM
What version of Firefox were you using when you made the backup? Though I don't see why it would, it's possible that an upgrade could have broken compatibility. It that is the case, installing the previous version, exporting to HTML, and importing that into Firefox 26 might work.

It was updated fully shortly (about a week) before. I doubt it's a compatibility problem.

Otherwise, your only option seems to be opening the file in Firefox ("File->Open File") and recreating the bookmarks manually, unless anyone can think of a better idea.
Even if that works, it doesn't solve the 'no back button' problem.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-05, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone, but I got it working. I restarted firefox and retried adding the files. It worked.

Grinner
2014-01-05, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone, but I got it working. I restarted firefox and retried adding the files. It worked.

I'm suddenly reminded of a certain sitcom (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8) and am filled with great shame. :smallredface: