PDA

View Full Version : Storing magic item effects for later: the Zulicer [D&D 3.5 race]

Kazyan
2014-01-06, 01:05 AM
Because I'm in the mood to create races, apparently. Maybe I'll compile my races into a setting.

---

Zulicer

Long dismissed as a quaint, unimportant race of hunters, the zulicers have pined for something more in their meager existences. Despite the humble lifestyles of the bulk of their race, their beginnings were as powerful wizards--contingent spells and magic items combined with life-creating magic to evolve other races into the first zulicers, and they were powerful indeed. Their descendants have little to their merit in mundane life, leaving the race to struggle for social survival, but those that can enter the magic-saturated world of adventuring learn to unlock their racial gifts with magic items.

Personality

Zulicers are a perpetually disgruntled people in their usual environment of the wilds. Overall, they have a quiet diligence about them, whether they are hunting, creating art, or in the case of adventurers, studying magic. Most zulicers don't know that they ultimately fit in with magic, but almost all share a collective uneasiness with their lives and a desire to do something else besides live in "harmony" with nature. This dissatisfaction runs deep through all aspects of zulicer life, showing prominently in their art.

Physical Description

A zulicer is a tall, lean humanoid with large, wide eyes and a faint blue tint to their skin. Zulicers have either black, dark blue, or brown hair, usually grown out to their shoulders and possibly braided. A zulicer has hair-thin white bands marking off body slots in which magic items can be placed, but most of them don't understand how magic items relate.

Due to an awkwardly-shaped pelvis, zulicers universally find it more comfortable to crouch or squat instead of standing straight, so when they are not walking or otherwise moving, they semi-consciously revert from standing to crouching unless they make a specific effort not to do so.

Relations

Zulicers don't get along with other wild races--they dislike their lot in life, and that irritates the races that respect nature. At the same time, they have a hard time finding acceptance in cities because of being seen as "savage" or somesuch. However, zulicers are sometimes accepted by small races, because their crouching habits bring them down to eye level and make conversation more comfortable.

Higher-level zulicers, or those that otherwise have access to magic items, are accepted but seen as curiosities among spellcasters.

Alignment

Zulicers are a generally lawful race, railing against the unpredictable strangeness of the wilds. They produce their own order, made for themselves, to combat the fact that they just don't belong where they've been sent to. They have no tendency towards good or evil.

Lands

Zulicers live in any form of wilderness nearby a city, typically plains or hilly grasslands--they dislike forests. Though usually shooed out of the cities, zulicers encroach as best they can to get a glimpse of something different besides the nature they feel so uncomfortable around. Some zulicer tribes are different, though, staying away from cities as they try to make their own settlements.

Religion

Zulicers curse the names of the gods--if they cared at all, they wouldn't have tried to shove their square peg into a round environment. Zulicer clerics are rare. Those few that are religious find solace in gods of magic or technology.

Language

Zulicers speak an offshoot of Draconic among themselves, known simply as Zulicer, but also know Common so that they can deal with the races that have been gifted with civilized life. It's difficult for them to learn any other languages, however, due to not being exposed to them enough.

Names

Zulicers never use names with fricatives, so that they can more effectively whisper during hunts. They use colors as names rather often, changing the word so as not to use fricatives, if necessary.

Adventurers

Zulicers often become adventurers--it's easy for one to simply get fed up with life and go out into a city to find a three-man team in Ye Olde Tavern, all consequences ignored. Zulicers that adventure are usually doing so to find where they belong.

Racial Traits

+2 Str, -2 Dex: Zulicers have adapted the strength to hunt down prey, though they are somewhat clumsy.
Humanoid type
+2 to Survival checks: Zulicers are skilled hunters and gatherers.
Medium size
Land Speed: 30 feet.
Crouch (Ex): So long as they have their feet on the ground, a zulicer can crouch to halve their land speed, but increase their AC as if they had decreased one size category. Crouching or reverting to standing is a move action.
Item Flow (Su): A zulicer can grant items on their possession magical properties, provided they remain in contact with their skin. At 1st level, they may imbue items with up to 25 gp of magical properties. For example, a piece of parchment may become a 1st-level scroll for 25 gp. After 8 hours of rest, they may revoke the imbued properties and redistribute the GP equivalent among their equipment as normal. Imbuing items requires 1 hour of uninterrupted rest and contact with the items to be imbued, and the items must be of forms that make sense for the desired properties--for example, a weapon cannot be imbued with the properties of a potion; it is not drinkable.

If a zulicer stops physically contacting an imbued item, it loses its imbued properties until they resume contact; one cannot borrow an Item Flow item from a zulicer.

Above 2nd level, the amount of GP value a zulicer can imbue items with becomes equal to 1/20 of their wealth by level. If they use consumable magic items made with Item Flow, they permanently lose an amount from their Item Flow pool equal to the value of the consumable portion used. They can refresh their Item Flow pool by sacrificing twice the amount of GP they want to restore, but they cannot expand their Item Flow pool above their by-level maximum. 'Sacrificing' items is done in the form of consuming rare spices and breathing exotic incenses worth the requisite amount of GP.

Items cannot be imbued so that they have a caster level greater than the zulicer's Hit Dice. When a zulicer gains a level, their Item Flow pool increases by the difference of Item Flow Pool in the following table between the two levels. For example,a zulicer leveling up from 14 to 15 would gain 2,500 gp in their Item Flow pool.

If a zulicer uses Item Flow to create wands or staves, they must be imbued with least 25 charges.

Level
Item Flow Pool

25 gp

45 gp

135 gp

270 gp

450 gp

650 gp

900 gp

1350 gp

1800 gp

2450 gp

3300 gp

4400 gp

5500 gp

7500 gp

10,000 gp

13,000 gp

17,000 gp

22,000 gp

27,000 gp

38,000 gp

48,750 gp

60,000 gp

75,000 gp

90,000 gp

105,000 gp

etc.
1/20 WBL

Languages: Zulicer, Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnome, Halfling.
Level Adjustment: +0

Racial Feat

Improved Item Flow
You can imbue more potent items.
Prerequisite: Zulicer
Benefit: Your level is treated as one higher for the purpose of your Item Flow pool.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times, to a maximum of your Constitution modifier. Its effects stack.

Allnightmask
2014-01-06, 02:27 AM
Pretty different. I enjoy the fluff even if they should just get over themselves, and their appearance is wonderfully different. I like the crunch though crouch seems really different. In the end they make me want to play a ridiculous awesome wizard who from the start shoots magic missiles out of their fingers. The racial feats feel good. Heightened Containment feels strong but you do need Heighten Spell... I can dig it. Never came across a race like this before and I hope neither have my players.:smallbiggrin:

Kazyan
2014-01-06, 03:04 AM
Pretty different. I enjoy the fluff even if they should just get over themselves, and their appearance is wonderfully different. I like the crunch though crouch seems really different. In the end they make me want to play a ridiculous awesome wizard who from the start shoots magic missiles out of their fingers. The racial feats feel good. Heightened Containment feels strong but you do need Heighten Spell... I can dig it. Never came across a race like this before and I hope neither have my players.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I was trying to make spell-storing mechanics without kicking them out of LA+0; that's what I'm mostly concerned about. I think I should fix Rapid Activation to get rid of the standard->swift thing; that could become limited auto-quickening for a wizard with scrolls or wands. No good.

Crouch is fluff disguised as crunch. It's a quirky thing they do and not much else. You could use it if you were doing a Stone Dragon or Stonebless/Dwarven Defender build, but then, you need the help if you're doing that. Also, going edit it to be a move action.

I can see Heightened Containment being used with Eternal Wands or something. I just made the race two hours ago, so it's not clear what the exploits are.

Allnightmask
2014-01-06, 03:40 AM
I think by limiting the CL based on slot you shut down most tomfoolery. The ability to reload between battles feels off, but still so good. I was wondering if you have any ideas for incarnum based racial levels for these guys, as that sounds right to me at this hour.

Kazyan
2014-01-06, 03:46 AM
I could limit item effect storing to once per day per slot and not affect the flavor of the race.

Incarnum substitution levels? Probably. I was actually planning on doing a big set of substitution levels for my races later, maybe when I come up with more ideas for weirdness to turn into LA+0 races. Changeling and Shifter are more my style of homebrew than Elf Variant #51.

Allnightmask
2014-01-06, 12:16 PM
A seventh level spell caster with 5 more slots a day or one at can tango all night long? Limiting the slots to once a day sounds like a good idea. You make some interesting stuff, so I can wait till you brew up some more material.