PDA

View Full Version : The Psicrystal Thief! [3.5e, PrC] - PEACH

Blueiji
2014-01-06, 06:02 AM
The Psicrystal Thief

Scoundrel-type characters have a tendency to get hands on objects vastly beyond their own understanding. Occasionally this sort of behavior will result in such a character acquiring a Psicrystal, often by removing it from the body of its previous owner. Most of the time, this becomes a moot-point, as with no psionic potential the rogue has no way to utilize or interact with the stolen psicrystal. However, sometimes the stealing of a psicrystal will awaken dormant potential within an individual, allowing them to access great psionic power as they bond with their stolen psicrystal. Such individuals are known as Psicrystal Thieves.

https://imgur.com/ktsF8nJ.png

Under the cover of darkness, a Changeling Psicrystal Thief lines up a deadly shot.
Art remixed from paris60's Psionic Arcanist (https://www.deviantart.com/paris60/art/Psionic-Arcanist-655194880).

Hit Die
d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a Psicrystal Thief, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Psionics: Must not possess the ability to manifest psionic powers prior to entering this class.
Skills: Sleight of Hand 8 ranks, Use Psionic Device 8 ranks.
Special: Sneak attack +2d6. Must possess a stolen psicrystal.
These prerequisites assume that all classes with Use Magic Device as a class skill also gain Use Psionic Device as a class skill. If this is not the case in your games, lower the skill requirement on Use Psionic Device from 8 to 4 in order to enter this class.
Class Skills
Appraise (Int), Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Psionic Device (Cha), Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Power Level

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Sneak Attack +1d6, Unveiled Potential, Stolen Psicrystal
-

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
The Mind is the Greatest Tool, Psionic Dilettante (1 Power)
1st

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+3
Sneak Attack +2d6, Crystalline Adaptation +1
1st

4th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Serenity in Secrecy, Psionic Dilettante (2 Powers)
2nd

5th
+3
+2
+4
+4
Sneak Attack +3d6, Crystalline Adaptation +2
2nd

6th
+4
+2
+5
+5
Partners in Crime, Psionic Dilettante (3 Powers)
3rd

7th
+5
+2
+5
+5
Sneak Attack +4d6, Crystalline Adaptation +3
3rd

8th
+6/+1
+2
+6
+6
Psicrystal Assault, Psionic Dilettante (4 Powers)
4th

9th
+6/+1
+3
+6
+6
Sneak Attack +5d6, Crystalline Adaptation +4
4th

10th
+7/+2
+3
+7
+7
Mind and Body Unhindered, Psionic Dilettante (5 Powers)
5th

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Psicrystal Thief prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Psicrystal Thief gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Sneak Attack (Ex)
Even with their new found psychic capabilities, the Psicrystal Thief doesn't forget the value of a well-placed knife. At every odd-numbered class level a Psicrystal Thief increases their Sneak Attack value by +1d6, which stacks with all other sources of Sneak Attack.

Unveiled Potential (Su)
Bonding with their stolen psicrystal releases the Psicrystal Thief's latent psionic power, gifting them with a pool of psychic energy. At first level, the Psicrystal Thief gains the "Wild Talent" feat (Expanded Psionics Handbook, p.52) as a bonus feat, regardless of whether they meet the prerequisites.

Stolen Psicrystal (Su)
The defining feature of every Psicrystal Thief is their stolen psicrystal. While most such crystals would become dormant and unusable in the absence of their master, the Psicrystal Thief is able to coerce the psicrystal into changing its allegiance. At first level, the Psicrystal Thief gains the "Psicrystal Affinity" feat (Expanded Psionics Handbook, p.49) as a bonus feat, regardless of whether they meet the prerequisites. The Psicrystal Thief's effect manifester level for this Psicrystal is equal to their level in this class added to half their level in any other classes.

The Mind is the Greatest Tool (Su)
Not satisfied with their psicrystal's basic form, the Psicrystal Thief learns to shape his psicrystal with mental energy, allowing it to take a more utilitarian form. At 2nd level a Psicrystal Thief may treat their psicrystal as a masterwork tool for any tool they wish. It takes a minute of uninterrupted concentration to assign a skill to psicrystal, and a psicrystal may only ever serve as a masterwork tool for one specific skill at a time.

Psionic Dilettante (Ps)
At 2nd level, the Psicrystal Thief acquires a vague understanding of psionics. With a moment of concentration and an application of mental might, you can manifest something pretty similar to a power. By expending your psionic focus, you can mimic a psionic power as a psi-like ability.

At the start of each day, choose a number of powers from the psion/wilder spell list based on your Psicrystal Thief level. You can choose one power at 2nd level, and you gain additional powers as shown on table. The maximum level of power you can use, according to your class level, is also shown on the table. You can select any psion/wilder power up to that level, but you can prepare only one power of your maximum level. Your manifester level equals your level in this character class added to half your level in any other classes. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your power is 10 + the power level + your Int modifier.

Once you have used a power, you cannot use it again until you have rested for 8 hours. After resting for this time, you choose new powers and lose any unused powers from the previous day, though you can select the same power on consecutive days. You cannot prepare the same power multiple times to use it more than once during the same day.

You cannot use powers that require an XP cost.

Like any psi-like ability, the power manifested by a Psicrystal Thief is treated as if he had spent a number of power points equal to his manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the Psicrystal Thief does not actually spend power points for his psi-like abilities, even if he has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.

Crystalline Adaptation (Ex)
As the Psicrystal Thief's mind begins to grow more and more linked with his psicrystal, his body begins to mimic the growing connection as well. At 3rd level a Psicrystal Thief's flesh becomes more crystalline and rigid in nature, giving him a +1 bonus to natural armor. This bonus increases by one at every subsequent odd class level.

Serenity in Secrecy (Ex)
While some favor quiet monasteries or peaceful temples for their meditation, a Psicrystal Thief tends to find themselves best at thinking when hidden. At 4th level, if a Psicrystal Thief makes a hide check and isn't spotted, he may regain psionic focus as a move action instead of a full-round action at any time while hidden.

Partners in Crime (Ex)
Every good rogue needs a back-up plan, and for a Psicrystal Thief that plan comes in the form of his psicrystal. At 6th level the Psicrystal Thief gains the "Psicrystal Containment" feat (Expanded Psionics Handbook, p.49) as a bonus feat, regardless of whether they meet the prerequisites.

Psicrystal Assault (Su)
With a quick mental command a Psicrystal Thief can command his psicrystal to fragment into a thousand tiny shard, which them swarms across nearby enemies, distracting and occupying them as the Psicrystal Thief lines up the perfect strike. At 8th level, once per encounter as a swift action, a Psicrystal Thief may produce a 15ft. burst of distracting psicrystal shards. Any enemies caught in this burst must make a reflex save (DC equal to 10 + 1/2 character level + highest ability score modifier) or be flat-footed until the beginning of the Psicrystal Thief's next turn. The burst is centered upon the Psicrystal Thief.

Mind and Body Unhindered (Ex)
Through a combination of unclean living, acquisition of stolen goods, and general skulking around; most rogues end up dead in a gutter. However, when combined with psionic power these traits somehow lead a Psicrystal Thief to a sort of larceny-inspired enlightenment. Their mental and physical capabilities combine, resulting in an individual capable of both unbelievable precision and powerful psychic capabilities. At 10th level the Psicrystal Thief permanently loses either their dexterity or intelligence score, whichever is lower. Before losing said score, they add its associated ability score bonus to the other ability score as an untyped permanent increase. They then use the newly improved ability score in place of the lost ability score for any and all purposes. For example, a Psicrystal Thief with an intelligence of 18 and a dexterity of 20 would first add 4 (the bonus given by a score of 18) to their dexterity score. Then they would permanently lose their intelligence score, and use their new dexterity score of 24 for all purposes pertaining to either intelligence or dexterity (including ranged attack rolls, reflex saves, dexterity based skill checks, intelligence based skill checks, skill points per level, etc.).

Waker
2014-01-06, 09:36 AM
I'll be the first to admit I am not tremendously well-versed in psionics, but as this class is somewhat psi-lite, I can manage.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Psicrystal Thief, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Psionics: Must not possess any power points or the ability to manifest psionic powers prior to entering this class.
Skills: Sleight of Hand 8 ranks, Use Psionic Device 8 ranks.
Special: Sneak attack +2d6. Must possess a stolen psicrystal.
Would the class also allow entry for those who have Skirmish or Sudden Strike damage instead?

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Pact Bargainer gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.
Accidentally put Pact Bargainer.

The Mind is the Greatest Tool (Su)
Not satisfied with their psicrystal's basic form, the Psicrystal Thief learns to shape his psicrystal with mental energy, allowing it to take a more utilitarian form. At 2nd level a Psicrystal Thief may treat their psicrystal as a masterwork tool for any tool they wish. It takes a minute of uninterrupted concentration to assign a skill to psicrystal, and a psicrystal may only ever serve as a masterwork tool for one specific skill at a time.
An interesting power. The first thing that popped into my head when reading this was a Green Lantern ring.

Psionic Dilettante (Ps)
At 2nd level, the Psicrystal Thief acquires a vague understanding of psionics. With a moment of concentration and an application of mental might, you can manifest something pretty similar to a power. By expending your psionic focus, you can mimic a psionic power as a psi-like ability...
Very reminiscent of the Factotum.

Crystalline Adaptation (Ex)
As the bond between psicrystal and master grows, the Psicrystal Thief begins resembling his crystal more and more. At 3rd level a Psicrystal Thief's flesh becomes more crystalline and rigid in nature, giving him a +1 bonus to natural armor. This bonus increases by one at every subsequent even class level.
Odd, though nothing is wrong with it.

Serenity in Secrecy (Ex)
While some favor quiet monasteries or peaceful temples for their meditation, a Psicrystal Thief has always found himself best at thinking when hidden. At 4th level, if a Psicrystal Thief makes a hide check and isn't spotted, he may regain psionic focus as a move action instead of a full-round action at any time while hidden.
Could definitely see some use for those who take Psionic Focus feats.

Psicrystal Assault (Su)
With a quick mental command and a flick of his wrist, a Psicrystal Thief can throw forth a swarm of psicrystal shards at their enemies, setting himself up for the perfect strike. At 8th level, once per encounter as a swift action, a Psicrystal Thief may produce a 15ft. cone of razor-sharp psicrystals. Any enemies caught in this cone must make a reflex save or be flat-footed until the beginning of the Psicrystal Thief's next turn.
Mechanically there is nothing wrong with the ability. The fluff is a bit odd though. Why would shards of crystal immobilize instead of damaging targets? Perhaps something more like strands of force or thickening the air or something else entirely?

Mind and Body Unhindered (Ex)
Through a combination of unclean living, acquisition of stolen goods, and general skulking around; most rogues end up dead in a gutter. However, when combined with psionic power these traits somehow lead a Psicrystal Thief to a sort of larceny-inspired enlightenment. Their mental and physical capabilities combine, resulting in an individual capable of both unbelievable precision and powerful psychic capabilities. At 10th level the Psicrystal Thief permanently loses either their dexterity or intelligence score, whichever is lower. Before losing said score, they add its associated ability score bonus to the other ability score as an untyped permanent increase. They then use the newly improved ability score in place of the lost ability score for all purposes. For example, a Psicrystal Thief with an intelligence of 18 and a dexterity of 20 would first add 4 (the bonus given by a score of 18) to their dexterity score. Then they would permanently lose their intelligence score, and use their new dexterity score of 24 for all purposes pertaining to either intelligence or dexterity (including ranged attack rolls, reflex saves, dexterity based skill checks, intelligence based skill checks, skill points per level, etc.).
This is an odd ability. I'm not sure how to rank it without giving it a bit more thought and seeing what other people can riddle out as well.

Rakoa
2014-01-06, 12:21 PM
My interpretation of the ability is that the character completely eliminates either Int or Dex, and gains the bonus of the obliterated score to the other. So Int
14 (+2) Dex 20 (5+) becomes Int -, Dex 22 (+6), or Int 19 (+4), Dex -. I could be incorrect, of course. The newly gained score is then treated as, basically, both Intelligence and Dexterity. It is used to ranged attacks, skill points gained at each level, save DCs, etc.

EDIT: The character doesn't make a choice, it is the lower score that is eliminated.

Kazyan
2014-01-06, 02:41 PM
Unveiled Potential: If you intend the scoundrel to bypass prereqs, note that Hidden Talent requires Cha 11+ to manifest its power, and that's not listed in the prereq section of the feat.

The Mind is the Greatest Tool: This is good, though I'm not sure if the psycrystal is physically reshaping, or what.

Psionic Dilettante: Yes! Psionic analogue for Arcane Dilettante fits perfectly.

Crystalline Adaptation: I don't have a problem with the mechanics, but the fluff justification makes no sense to me. Why would the scoundrel become more crystalline if the original owner of the psycrystal, who had a closer bond, wouldn't do so?

Serenity in Secrecy, Partners in Crime, Psicrystal Assault: Good synergies, but Psicrystal Assault seems a little off--I think the crystals created should just be regular crystals instead of full psicrystal shards; conjuring a psicrystal on demand is something a psion with 9ths can't do.

Mind and Body Unhindered: Wait, wait. By the rules, if have no Intelligence score, you're mindless, and if have no Dexterity score, you can't move. I'd rework this so that your scores in those abilities become equal and benefit from each other's bonuses; something like that.

In conclusion: I get what you're going for, but it needs work in fluff and crunch.

Blueiji
2014-01-08, 02:24 AM
Would the class also allow entry for those who have Skirmish or Sudden Strike damage instead?

I kind of wanted to promote rogue-entry, since it supports the "thief" flavor, but I could expand it for those classes as well.

Accidentally put Pact Bargainer.

Looks like my copy-pasta needed to be cooked a little better. :smallredface:

Mechanically there is nothing wrong with the ability. The fluff is a bit odd though. Why would shards of crystal immobilize instead of damaging targets? Perhaps something more like strands of force or thickening the air or something else entirely?

I was trying to portray the crystals as more of a distracting swarm than an abrasive blast. I'll try and re-word it.

My interpretation of the ability is that the character completely eliminates either Int or Dex, and gains the bonus of the obliterated score to the other. So Int
14 (+2) Dex 20 (5+) becomes Int -, Dex 22 (+6), or Int 19 (+4), Dex -. I could be incorrect, of course. The newly gained score is then treated as, basically, both Intelligence and Dexterity. It is used to ranged attacks, skill points gained at each level, save DCs, etc.

EDIT: The character doesn't make a choice, it is the lower score that is eliminated.

That's exactly how I intended it, yes.

Unveiled Potential: If you intend the scoundrel to bypass prereqs, note that Hidden Talent requires Cha 11+ to manifest its power, and that's not listed in the prereq section of the feat.

My mistake. I meant to give the "Wild Talent" feat, which gives a supply of power points but now power.

The Mind is the Greatest Tool: This is good, though I'm not sure if the psycrystal is physically reshaping, or what.

Yes, the crystal is being re-shaped into a more utilitarian form. I'll make the fluff-wording more clear.

Crystalline Adaptation: I don't have a problem with the mechanics, but the fluff justification makes no sense to me. Why would the scoundrel become more crystalline if the original owner of the psycrystal, who had a closer bond, wouldn't do so?

That's a very good point. I'll see if I can fix the fluff, if not I may just scrap it for some other defensive ability.

Psicrystal Assault seems a little off--I think the crystals created should just be regular crystals instead of full psicrystal shards; conjuring a psicrystal on demand is something a psion with 9ths can't do.

The intention was that the shards splinter from the Psicrystal Thief's own psicrystal. I'll clarify that.

Wait, wait. By the rules, if have no Intelligence score, you're mindless, and if have no Dexterity score, you can't move. I'd rework this so that your scores in those abilities become equal and benefit from each other's bonuses; something like that.

The intention was that the remaining score effectively serves as the other score for all purposes, including basic functions such as mobility and capability of thinking. I think the current wording communicates that well, but I'll try to make it a little more clear.

In conclusion: I get what you're going for, but it needs work in fluff and crunch.

Thank you for your assessment. I'm going to go work in the suggestions made by you, Rakoa, and Waker now.

The Cats
2014-01-22, 09:39 PM
This looks pretty cool. Here's what little others haven;t covered I can think of:

The Mind is the Greatest Tool
Love this ability. Is it limited to only masterwork tools that help skills? Can you turn it into mundane stuff like a shovel-blade, small hammer, bell, etc? I'm imagining a perfect, magical swiss-army knife.

Crystalline Adaptation
Maybe incorporate some sort of defence against ray attacks? Crystals reflect light so a crystalline carapace might have a chance of deflecting a ray attack or something like that.

Mind and Body Unhindered
"At 10th level, if the the psicrystal thief's dex is lower than his int, add his dex modifier to his int score then increase his dex score to be equal to his new int score. If his int is lower than his dex, the same applies with the abilities reversed."
Maybe simpler wording.
Also, that's a dang powerful ability! It doesn't come till level 19, when you should be dang powerful anyway though. I'm imagining some far-thinking player dumping his int to 7 at character creation thinking "HaHA! In 18 levels I'll be in the money!"

Cool concept. Cool class. Yeah. That's all I've got. If you're feeling reciprocal I'd sure apreciate a PEACH of my wardkeeper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325917) base class.

Taffeta
2014-01-27, 05:37 PM
Refluffed after an old SWd20 concept I'd used.

Extra Set of Eyes (Ex)
As the Psicrystal Thief's mind begins to grow more and more linked with his psicrystal, his reactions begin to reflect the growing connection as well. At 3rd level a Psicrystal Thief's intuition becomes linked with the psicrystal's senses, granting him a +1 Insight bonus to AC so long as the psicrystal is present. This bonus increases by one at every subsequent even class level.

In this, the psicrystal's vision begins to merge with the psicrystal thief's perception, which is why I opted to make the psicrystal's presence necessary.
With the addition of that hitch, I initially considered adding reflex bonuses, or a later-level addendum to Evasion or Uncanny Dodge, but it seems well enough linked to that set of abilities without overlapping, that I'll leave it up to the OP.

CrazyYanmega
2014-01-28, 12:59 AM
An additional d6 every odd level is rather high. Since having sneak-attack is a prerequisite already, why not have your Psycrystal thief levels stack with Sneak-Attack capable levels for determining Sneak-Attack damage. This would be similar to how Planar Shepard levels stack with Druid levels for determining size and # of times per day for wildshapes. Or, perhaps, gain an additional d6 every even level, like the assassin. Keep in mind that an assassin is based entirely around killing unsuspecting people, so having a high progression of Sneak-Attack is only natural.

I would also narrow down that class skill list. I'd definitely drop Craft, Diplomacy, Perform, and Swim.

Other than that, a very interesting and clever class. A good plot hook could be to steal a player's Psicrystal early on in the campaign, and later the group would encounter the Psicrystal Thief who stole it.

You might want to think about adding some sort of rules regarding the original owner of the Psicrystal. I would either add a "kill the original owner" to the prerequisites, or both parties need to make Psicraft checks to control the crystal if they are both nearby.